Shopify have announced a record breaking Black Friday with sales of nearly $2.9 billion from independent and direct-to-consumer businesses worldwide, representing a 21% increase over Black Friday in 2020.
Together, merchants on Shopify generated peak sales of nearly $3.1 million per minute at 12:02 PM EST on Black Friday, and merchants crossed $1 billion in sales by 4:00am EST, four hours earlier than Black Friday in 2020.
Record breaking Black Friday Global Highlights
- >Peak sales per minute: Nearly $3.1 million on Black Friday at 12:02 PM EST.
- Top selling countries & cities where shoppers made purchases from: United States, United Kingdom, and Canada, with the top-selling cities on Black Friday including London, New York, and Los Angeles.
- Mobile sales: 72% of sales were made on mobile devices versus 28% on desktop, an increase from 67% of sales made on mobile and 33% on desktop in 2020.
- Top product categories: Apparel and accessories followed by health & beauty and home & garden.
- Average cart price: $101.20 USD, which is up from last year’s Black Friday average of $90.70 USD.
- Cross-border orders worldwide: 15% on Black Friday as a percentage of total orders, with the most popular cross-border routes being United States-Canada, Canada-United States, and United Kingdom-United States.
- 23,000+ tonnes of carbon removal: funded to counteract emissions from the delivery of every order placed on Shopify’s platform on Black Friday. Learn more about how Shopify is eliminating the climate impact of merchant shipments here.
You can visit datastories.shopify.com to view Shopify’s annual Black Friday / Cyber Monday Live Globe, which captures global commerce in real-time and demonstrates the impact of Shopify merchants globally.