India’s biggest online store
Flipkart and Myntra commit to responsible sourcing of sustainable packaging
Flipkart and Myntra have announced their commitment to responsible sourcing of sustainable packaging and man-made cellulosic fibers in collaboration with not-for-profit environmental organisation Canopy.
Flipkart and Myntra recognise the role of the world’s forests in maintaining climate stability, preserving biodiversity, and protecting the rights of Indigenous communities. The companies have joined Canopy’s Pack4Good and CanopyStyle initiatives to extend their sustainability commitment to move towards responsible sourcing of sustainable packaging and materials. Recently, they also announced a shift away from single-use plastics in their packaging with the introduction of the most scalable sustainable alternatives such as eco-friendly paper shreds, replacing poly pouches with recycled paper bags, replacing bubble wraps with carton waste shredded material and 2 Ply roll to name a few.
As signatories of Canopy’s Pack4Good (packaging) and CanopyStyle (fashion) initiatives, the two Flipkart Group companies will shift towards sustainable sourcing of forest-derived products and pilot alternative next-generation solutions to transition away from forests for raw materials. For this commitment, Flipkart and Myntra will focus on the following activities over the next three years:
- Exploring sourcing or designing of reusable/refillable shipping boxes to reduce corrugated paper and paperboard
- Encouraging the use of recycled, reusable and/or FSC certified paper and packaging as well as sourcing products with responsibly sourced man-made cellulosic fibres
- Design and implement e-commerce, shipping, display and wrapping systems that minimize the use of packaging materials
- Increase utilization of recycled materials in packaging
- Utilize reusable packaging systems for intra business applications
- Increase the use of digital communication, marketing and accounting systems
- Adopt best practices including researching and applying emerging and circular economy innovations.
- Increasing the use of responsibly sourced man-made cellulosic fibre for in-house products including rayon/viscose, lyocell, and modal
“India has incredible potential to be a global leader in the production of Next Gen packaging and clothing and this partnership with Flipkart and Myntra turbo charges efforts to scale these climate-saving solutions on a meaningful timeline. We applaud Flipkart Group’s leadership and look forward to collaborating with them to realize these ambitious goals.”
– Nicole Rycroft, Executive Director, Canopy