Forter Fraudster Wishlist reveals top targets for 2020
Forter, has released their annual Fraudster Wishlist, revealing the consumer items that fraudsters have targeted this Christmas period, worldwide.
The 2020 Fraudster Wishlist is derived from year-long tracking of fraudster activities, including during the Christmas period over the Black Friday/Cyber Monday weekend. ‘Normal’ fraud rates refer to the median number of fraud attacks, measured over a year-long period, before the onset of COVID-19 in March 2020.
If you’re selling any of the items on this list, watch out for requests to ship to alternative addresses and make sure you ship parcels with tracking. Also, keep an eye out for returns containing something other than the item you shipped in the first place.
2020 Fraudster Wishlist
- Apple’s AirPods were highly targeted this season, with fraud attacks at 22x the normal rate.
- The Nintendo Switch saw fraud attacks at 21x the normal rate, while ‘Call of Duty: Black Ops Cold War’ saw fraud attacks at 16x the normal rate.
- Apple’s iPhone 11 Pro and XR saw attacks at 27x and 26x the normal rate, respectively.
- Nike’s Air Jordan trainers saw fraud attacks at 14x the normal rate.
- Ugg Boots were attacked at 11x the normal rate.
- Fraudsters favoured XBox gift cards at 19x the normal rate and gift cards for apparel brands at 7x the normal rate.
- Attacks on Apple’s iPhone 11 Pro were at 17x the normal rate.
- Branded winter jackets saw fraud attacks at 17x the normal rate.
- Men’s cologne saw attack rates 11x the normal rate.