One platform with all the ecommerce and point of sale features you need to start, run, and grow your business.
Shopify sales reach $2.4 billion in record breaking Black Friday
Shopify have announced that this year they have had a record breaking Black Friday with sales of $2.4 billion from the independent and direct-to-consumer brands on the platform worldwide.
According to Shopify from the start of Black Friday in New Zealand through the end of Black Friday in California, Shopify-powered businesses saw a 75% increase in sales from Black Friday in 2019, and by 8:00am EST, before most North Americans had breakfast, merchants on Shopify collectively had crossed $1 billion in sales making it a truly record-breaking Black Friday.
Shopify Black Friday highlights
- $2.4 billion in Black Friday sales globally, a 75% growth in sales from last year
- New York, London, Los Angeles were the top-selling cities worldwide on Black Friday, with top-selling countries including US, UK and Canada
- Mobile sales on Black Friday were 67% compared to 33% of sales made on desktop. In 2019, 69% of Black Friday sales were made on mobile and 31% on desktop
- Top product categories globally during Black Friday were apparel and accessories with health and beauty and home and garden
- Average Black Friday cart price globally was $90.70, an increase of 11% from last year
- 14% cross-border orders placed on the platform on Black Friday
- 20,000+ tonnes of carbon emissions offset from the delivery of every order placed on Shopify’s platform on Black Friday
Real time Shopify data map
To highlight the success of their Merchants on the Black Friday and Cyber Monday events Shopify have also released a dynamic, real-time view of commerce on their platform. The new feature allows you to watch Shopify business owners around the world connect with their customers in real time. The map can be seen here.