Amazon started as online book store and has grown to be the worlds largest online retailer.
Prime Day UK Results: Up 75% for SME businesses selling on Amazon
After holding Prime Day in India in August, Amazon rolled out the two-day event across 19 additional countries last week and say that they delivered big sales for small businesses and big savings for Prime members on Prime Day UK as well as the U.S., U.A.E., Turkey, Spain, Singapore, Netherlands, Mexico, Luxembourg, Japan, Italy, Germany, France, China, Canada, Brazil, Belgium, Austria, and Australia.
Amazon is on track to invest $18 billion this year to help small and medium-sized businesses succeed in its store, and designed this Prime Day to support small businesses even more, including funding a promotion that helped drive over $900 million in sales for small businesses in the two weeks leading up to Prime Day.
Third-party sellers, most of which are small and medium-sized businesses, surpassed $3.5 billion in sales on Prime Day – a nearly 60% year-on-year increase worldwide and impressive more than 75% in the UK, growing even more than Amazon’s retail business. It’s notable that Amazon didn’t reveal 1st party sales but then comparison wouldn’t really compare with previous years due to moving Prime Day to October (normally held in July) and the general state of the world due to the pandemic.
Amazon revealed that Prime members around the world saved over $1.4 billion during the epic deals event, securing deep discounts and getting a jump start on their Christmas shopping. In the UK Prime members saved more than £75 million during Prime Day UK over the two-day event with some of the top saving categories in the UK included Hardware, Spirits, Small Devices and Skin Care.
Prime Day UK Top selling products
Some of this year’s top selling products for Prime Day UK include:
- Echo Dot was the most popular item purchased on Prime Day globally and in the UK
- Bose QuietComfort 35 (Series II) Wireless Headphones with Built-in Alexa
- Fitbit Versa 2 Health and Fitness Smartwatch with Built-in Alexa
- Shark Upright Vacuum Cleaner
- Celebrations Chocolate Bulk Box
- Halloween Party Bag Fillers
- Oral-B Smart 6 6000N CrossAction Electric Toothbrush
- 23andMe Health & Ancestry Kit
- Sandy Leaf Farm Ultimate Gin Maker’s Kit
- Beat That! – The Bonkers Battle of Wacky Challenges game
“We are thrilled that Prime Day was a record-breaking event for small and medium businesses worldwide, with sales surpassing $3.5 billion—an increase of nearly 60% from last year. We’re also proud that Prime members saved more than $1.4 billion worldwide, and we look forward to providing more opportunities for our selling partners to grow and customers to save throughout the festive season. I’m incredibly thankful to our employees and partners around the world who helped make Prime Day possible, especially the dedicated front-line teams in our fulfilment centres and delivery operations.”
– Jeff Wilke, CEO Worldwide Consumer, Amazon
Amazon held its biggest small business promotion ever in the lead-up to Prime Day, and had thousands of deals from both small and medium-sized businesses globally over the two-day event.
- Independent third-party sellers—most of which are small and medium-sized businesses—surpassed $3.5 billion in sales on Prime Day worldwide —a nearly 60% increase over Prime Day 2019, growing even more than Amazon’s retail business.
“Small and medium-sized businesses selling on Amazon had the biggest two days ever this Prime Day. Compared to last year, these businesses saw an increase of more than 75% in product sales in the UK alone. It’s great to see so many small and medium businesses in the UK embracing online sales for the first time. We are committed to helping our customers save and supporting selling partners with further promotional programmes throughout the season ahead.”
– Doug Gurr, UK Country Manager, Amazon