Royal Mail is the leading provider of postal and parcel delivery services in the UK. We deliver to over 230 countries and territories worldwide.
Royal Mail reveals hottest consumer buys of lockdown
Royal Mail have released new data that gives insight into what British consumers have been ordering online during lockdown and what they plan on ordering in the future.
According to the revealed data, some of the most popular items being delivered to British homes during lockdown include clothing, self care products, drinks, plants, and gardening tools. Consumers are clearly still focusing on keeping themselves happy and busy whilst stuck at home.
The UK’s ‘Hottest Online Orders’ During Lockdown:
- Drinks (incl. soft drinks, wine, beer) (43%)
- Skincare products (including moisturiser) (26%)
- Plants and flowers (20%)
- Paint for house (20%)
- Make-up (18%)
- Compost (14%)
- Bedding (for home) (13%)
- Paintbrushes (13%)
- Razors (12%)
- Pet food (11%)
- Non-fiction books (11%)
- BBQs (11%)
- Mugs (10%)
- Weed killer (10%)
- Gardening gloves (10%)
- Candles (10%)
- Lego (10%)
- Pots and pans (9%)
- Sanding paper (9%)
- Masking tape (9%)
The research also shows that UK adults are expecting to spend more time at home and continue shopping online as much or more than they currently are in the future. Hot purchases included home dining and home improvement products showing consumers truly expecting to be spending more time at home in the future.
Some other interesting facts and figures from the research are included below:
- A quarter of the nation expects to work from home more post-lockdown, and this is reflected in shopping patterns. Paper and stationery feature amongst the most-ordered items, alongside technical equipment, including printers and laptops.
- The nation embraced its crafty side under lockdown. 1 in 10 (8%) people purchased a paint set; whilst adult colouring books (6%) sewing kits (5%) and knitting equipment (4%) are also popular.
- Respondents from the West Midlands, North West and Northern Ireland have ordered the most clothes online since lockdown measures began.
- Green-fingered respondents in Wales have had the most plants and flowers delivered.