One platform with all the ecommerce and point of sale features you need to start, run, and grow your business.
Shopify Release 2019 Sustainability & Economic Impact Reports
Shopify have released their updated Economic Impact and 2019 Sustainability Reports which show just how valuable the millions of independent business owners are to the global economy.
Below are the key findings from both reports provided by Shopify that will inform future or current Shopify merchants on how the company is growing economically & the implementations in place for sustainability.
Economic Impact Report:
- Businesses built on Shopify generated $319B in global economic activity between 2016 and 2019, with $136B in 2019 alone (compared to $91B in 2018)
- Between 2016 and 2019, 52 countries saw more than $100M in economic activity supported by our merchants
- In 2019, 523,000 small businesses generated $6.9B+ in international sales
- Between 2016 and 2019, 18 countries saw more than $1B in economic activity supported by our merchants
- More than 2.1M full-time jobs were supported by our merchants (compared to 1.4M in 2018)
- Businesses on Shopify in emerging economies generated $3.4B in revenue in 2019 (compared to $1.9B in 2018)
- In Canada, $3.8B in revenue was generated by Shopify merchants last year (compared to $2.6B in 2018) and $2.4B of that was generated outside of Canada’s six largest cities (compared to $1.5B in 2018)
2019 Sustainability Report:
- We provided free local education to more than 15,000 entrepreneurs at our distributed programs (compared to 10,200, in 2018) and more than 68,000 entrepreneurs in our Shopify LA and San Francisco merchant spaces (compared to almost 3,000 in 2018)
- We continued to invest in computing education, with 2,200+ youth engaged via our Link
, Technovation Girls and STEMing Up community partnerships and a total of 60+ students enrolled in Dev Degree
- We launched Shopify’s Sustainability Fund, committing a minimum of $5M annually to fight for the environment, an amount that will increase based on our revenue growth