Do Promoted Listings increase sales on eBay

By Chris Dawson January 16, 2020 - 10:58 am

Do Promoted Listings increase sales? Regular Tamebay correspondent David Brackin of Stuff U Sell describes his experience of using promoted listings in this video. David reveals the increase in sell through rates and a look at the test results he saw when challenging Promoted Listings to see if they work.

In a three part series on Tamebay, David set up his trial methodology, reported his experimental results and gave actionable insights on how you can make eBay Promoted Listings work for you. You can read the original posts at:
Do Promoted Listings on eBay work? – The Trial
eBay Promoted Listings have a Significant Effect on Sales – Experimental Results
How to make eBay Promoted Listings work for you – Actionable Insights

Perhaps David’s biggest learning was that the evidence from his tests in 2019 for a statistically significant uplift in sell-through rate was overwhelming. Even with a minimum 1% bid, Promoted Listings increase sales. Equally, the biggest thing to avoid is the “1% over competition” bid setting. David said he’d never seen money go out of the door so fast so start small, ensure you know your margins and what you can afford, and experiment with slowly raising your bid rates.

You can learn more about Promoted Listings on the eBay Seller Centre

• NorthCrystal

Of course promoted listings make sense!.

Just kidding!

With all due respect but that video is sponsored by eBay…?

We have 2 business accounts.

1st account is 4 years old with 100% positive feedback (top seller etc) and promoted listings brought zero sales. Zero(!). Tested over few months period.

2nd account is new, with little feedback, about 1/4 of (different) stock from above. Almost all listings are promoted and current rate is that about 2% of all sales are from promoted. That’s from last 4 months.

Waste of time really taking into account the level of “maintenance” for %. Perhaps some categories make sense for promoted. Talking from my experience.

• 19 hours ago

@NorthCrystal What maintenance is involved, once you have set it up just forget it?

One of my accounts is showing the below stats from the 1st Dec

Impressions 847,962
      Clicks 1,173
      Sold 95
      Ad fees £15.64
      Sales £1,563.2

I wouldn’t say wow! but it works and you only pay on results.

Looking back at some sales which show “Sold via Promote your listings” I see orders that have multiple products but only one is “Sold via Promote your listings”, so a product sold for £16.26 is part of a £51.10 order.

Did the buyer buy extra items from me after or before they saw the promoted listing?

• 13 hours ago

Hi NorthCrystal –
      The video was produced by eBay but the original research was designed and executed by me without any say from eBay. Like all of us, I’m skeptical when I see some of their published numbers so I wanted this to be a trial run by a seller. It was a blind randomised control test with a priori hypothesis – in terms of study definition, it’s the same design as required for drug approval. I asked ebay up front to pay for the PL we used for the study to allow us to test higher rates and for longer and they agreed without any conditions on publication.

What we found was that at that time and on our inventory some promoted listings spend had a statistically significant effect on sell-through rates. We designed our own reports as the ebay reporting does not show incremental sales (why pay for sales which you would have got anyway?)

Furthermore, we found that with our economics, the incremental sales were worth the additional spend.

The PL placements have changed since the study and duplicate placements have been removed, but we still see an effect of PL on our sell-through rate, although this is anecdotal only and we haven’t done another quantitative study.

We have, however run dozens of other tests to track sales improvements. Mostly these are for our clients benefit only, but I will publish one I’m working on at the moment soon, and I hope to take another look at PL later on.

I hope these learnings are useful to other sellers to get the best out of the eBay marketplace.

• wyatt

I was interested to know how my 2019 was just for promo listings

I mean it clearly works, but at the same time I paid an extra chunk to eBay

Impressions 17,579,883
    Clicks 46,467
    Sold 1,556
    Ad fees (£) 650.67
    Sales (£) 27,157.46

• Jonah

We don’t do sponsored listing, possibly why our sales have tanked over the last few months. If it gets worse, we will move on and leave ebay. Our fees are already 12%, they want another 6.3 % trending rate or above to promote- really? 18% of the entire sale price whilst in turn offering no customer support and protection whatsoever !!! And yes I know we can promote for 1%, but we find unless you beat the trending rate it’s useless. We even tried beating the trending rate then reducing to 1%, again no sales. Before you ask, we sell unique antique items- so how ebay can even tell me there is a trending rate is laughable.
    Thanks, but no thanks ebay.

• Dav

eBay’s trending rates are a total scam. It’s 100% fabricated to get gullible sellers to give eBay more money. Don’t ever trust any data eBay gives you. Everything they recommend is for them to take in more money at your expense. eBay is a completely rigged system in their favor.

• Dav

There’s no proof anywhere that says Promoted Listings do anything of use. The majority of comments I’ve read say sales don’t change at all or even decline and you just end up giving more money to eBay. THAT is exactly what this is designed for. More money for eBay, less for you. As is the same with all their other gimmicks and schemes in which eBay claims you’ll get an X% increase in sales if you do this or that. It’s all rigged in favor of eBay and you can’t trust the numbers they’re giving you. Let’s also not forget that according to different data sources that at least 30-40% of PC and mobile internet users have an ad blocker of some kind that may block all Promoted Listings. Think about it. They won’t see your listing at all because eBay won’t be showing the organic listing if you’re promoting. In the long run Promoted Listings is just another scam in which eBay wins and the seller loses.

• SAM

You do not have much of a choice. Even Magpie are doing “stealth FEES”, you are so far down the list you will never sell a bean these days.
    The average rate they show is also misleading and frankly deliberately misleading. Those margins simply do not exist in our sector.
    On top of it we have had to deal with counterfeit (although this is not as big an issue in our sector as some others), and eBay are criminal as far as I am concerned for not policing the site.
    They are destroying their own site by the chronic mismanagement and in the long term just driving “burnt” buyers away for short term profit.
    The only pro is your not paying for just clicks.
    Stealth fees have made things like TRS, genuine fast and free totally redundant, we non longer bother with 24 hrs post.
    PAY to Play is not a new idea, but only those with the deepest pockets (or of course the fakers with margin) can compete. This in turn means eBay is not the go to place for start ups and micro business..

• SAM

Oops did not actually answer the question. They do increase sales but sacrifice margin, you can’t sell without them now.

.Our sales were 100 times what they were before stealth fees when TRS speed of post and having top metrics mattered.

• 12 hours ago

As usual, a lot of groaning going on here.

Hands up all that have their own website and promote their own business other than through eBay / Amazon etc…

That is the trouble these days, many don’t have a business and just act as sales agents for eBay / Amazon but have to buy your own stock. You don’t have a recognisable brand, nobody knows who you are, you remind me of the old football chant; Who are you, who are you?

We are now running at 45/20/35 Amazon/eBay/website sales from 50/40/10 and our turnover is increasing.

It costs money to invest in your own business advertising & promotion, so far easier to ride on the back of the big marketplaces and pay a commission rather than invest in promotion yourselves.

• 15 mins ago

Here is my last 31 days promoted listing reports. Recently I sent all my international listings ( over 9000 listings ) so far no major impact. I’ll wait around 30 days and let you guys know.

Campaigns: 5