Procrastinators will rush to finish last-minute Christmas shopping
Last-minute Christmas shoppers are still out to make purchases with data reported by PracticalEcommerce showing that 15% of consumers still have shopping to do before the day. Many consumers are likely to be making a mad online dash to finish their shopping on the 21st of December, the last Saturday before Christmas. Last year 130 million people planned to shop on what has been titled ‘Super Saturday’ and so it looks like this year will be much the same.
Because procrastinating consumers are likely to buy a number of gifts in a single sitting without any particular shopping pattern marketplaces with a variety of product categories are the target.
What do last-minute Christmas shoppers want?
- Fast shipping – When consumers realise they have a limited amount of time left to get their presents wrapped up and shoved under the tree they will want fast and reliable shipping options.
- Get it by Christmas – By clearly promoting the fact that shoppers can receive their products by Christmas you are more likely to grab their attention. Displaying this somewhere visible means there is no guesswork or tedious searching around.
- Instant gifts and digital items – The beauty of digital items like e-certificates and vouchers is that they do not need to be shipped and can be printed out instantly, the perfect fix for someone who has been putting off their Christmas shopping.
- Free shipping – Free shipping that comes with prompt order processing promising arrival before Christmas will look attractive to buyers and potentially push sales by catering to someone not wanting to pay for an overnight shipping service.
- Communication – When in a panic guidance will always be appreciated by consumers. Be ready to chat and answer any questions customers might have.
- Discounts – Even with items that won’t be shipped in time for Christmas, discounts can still tempt customers who might already be eagerly awaiting those January sales.
Bring it on! 🙂
I already see that conversion rates are sky-high across the range of products we sell. Christmas shoppers are perfect shoppers as they are not too fussy about the purchasing process – if they like something, they buy it! The conversion rate in December is already 50% up and interestingly it increases each day goes by. This just proves that the less time is left before Christmas, the easier it is to make the sale.