Get ready for Brexit SME personalised check list

By Chris Dawson September 2, 2019 - 11:18 am

With Parliament due to reconvene on Tuesday this week, it’s likely to be a busy week with politicians attempting to bring in legislation to block a no deal Brexit and at the same time both politicians and interested parties putting pressure on the government not to prorogue parliament as the country prepares to Get ready for Brexit.

In the mean time, an information campaign urging the public to ‘Get ready for Brexit’ has been launched by the government with a new website that went live on Sunday. The information campaign is rumoured to have a budget of £100 million which is a massive amount of cash to spend – it’s more than many of the largest businesses in the country spend in a whole year!

The Get Ready for Brexit website is markedly better than previous efforts and actually offers real practical advice to small businesses. The government have at last realised that small businesses have been incapable of preparing for Brexit (with or without a deal) due to the total lack of guidance and, under the new regime, where currently Prime Minister BoJo appears determined a) to leave and b) keep no deal as an option, are taking action.

When you go to the site you’ll be faced with a series of questions. Our advice to keep things simple is to ignore your personal holiday arrangements and only say yes to the questions which impact your business, which for the majority of online sellers will be to say “Yes” to selling in the UK and exporting to the EU. This will give you an instant checklist of what you need to do to be prepared.

You can start the ‘Get ready for Brexit’ check here.

• SAM
    3 months ago

Put a GB sticker on the back of your vehicle if it’s registered in the UK ” you cannot be serious BoJo…
    It is a rather long list and a bureaucratic shambles and they do not think leaving the Eu is going to be an issue, the lunatics are really running the asylum these days.

• 3 months ago

I am ready, have been for three years….

• 3 months ago

@Tyler – Useful input.

• 3 months ago

Thank you Robin, I thought so, even though you are still sore about leaving the EU you really do need to get ready just in case it happens, even more so if we leave without a deal.

• 2 months ago

@Tyler – More great input. i just need to BELIEVE more in Brexit unicorns.

• 2 months ago

@Robin, thank you again, no unicorns that I am aware of, you may just be imagining Corbyn with a cone on his head depicting the word “Idiot”, but that would not be a myth.

Your frustration is getting the better of you.

• 2 months ago

@Tyler – Maybe you could provide some sage-line input into how you got yourself (and your business?) ready for Brexit three years ago, when no one knew what was going to happen, except it seems you. You really should be in a more senior position, maybe as part of the Brexit planning committee for the government.

• 2 months ago

@Robin, what is it I have to get my business ready for?

I buy things and sell them, how hard can it be?

• 2 months ago

@Tyler – Thanks for that and therein lies the issue with Brexit. Simplistic answers to complex questions has lead to where we are now. Shame, as I thought you might be better than that.

• 2 months ago

@Robin, to be fair you are asking about my business and have not got a clue about how I run my business or how it will be effected, if at all, by Brexit.

I did not really expect much more from yourself, I understand that you, like many others, are not happy with the idea of leaving the EU, but try and keep a perspective on discussions.

• 2 months ago

@Tyler – You keep bringing up about me not being happy on leaving the EU. I am trying to find how this will affect my business and thought you might be able to advise on this as you were so confident in being ready. Probably safe to say we have different business models and staffing issues, so not going to get very far. Oh and by the way it is affected, not effected.

• 2 months ago

@Robin, I mention that you are not happy about leaving as it clearly shows in your discussion of the subject and sometimes clouds your point of view, as in the above responses.

I am quite sure we have different business models, most people here have, even business that sells the same products often have different business models.

Thank you for the grammar lesson, shame you were not so sure what the backstop was, hopefully you now understand it.

@Tyler – Keep believing!

• 2 months ago

@Robin, what is it that I am meant to believe in?

I am not really a religious person, I accept that many people do as I accept many people, like yourself, are scared to step out of their comfort zone, like leaving the EU.

• jim
    2 months ago

it really is simple
    the remainers [ I once was one]
    are doing their best to discredit and ignore the result of the referendum
    fudging and flip flopping to remain in the EU

• jim
    2 months ago

how can you negotiate, when the other party knows you must accept their terms

• 2 months ago

@Jim – Sadly it is not simple, which is why we are here three years later. If you wanted to crash out with all the implications then that is what should have been on offer. Last week you offered some poor excuses for why you are for leaving. Are you sure you voted to remain?

• jim
    2 months ago

most of here experience the Amazon , Ebay ,Paypal inflexibility
    parliament is in effect enabling the EU to take a similar stance

• 2 months ago

@Jim – I have no idea what you are talking about. You won get over it.

• jim
    2 months ago

at the time of the referendum I voted remain
    for pragmatic and selfish reasons, remain would still have been my choice
    if it were not for Parliament ,Theresa May and the establishment doing their best to ignore the result of the Referendum

• 2 months ago

@Jim – Last week you had reasons for leaving the EU. Now it is down to the “establishment”. An Etonian PM and a cabinet full of millionaires are not the establishment?

• JIM
    2 months ago

same reasons, with added reasons this week , its called free choice
    I double want to LEAVE WITH BELLS ON

• 2 months ago

@Jim – That’s a convincing argument, well done. Down with the establishment and their evil website cookies law!

• Jim
    2 months ago

Its futile arguing with those that have all the answers

• 2 months ago

@Jim – Equally the case if they have none.