Etsy is well known and a major player in the handmade and vintage arena with a marketplace that offers curated collections and suggestions.
The Etsies – Enter the Etsy Design Awards with $15,000 Prize
Etsy have announced the launch of the Etsies – the Etsy Design Awards – the marketplace’s first-ever global competition created to showcase the very best of Etsy’s sellers.
One “extraordinary” Etsy seller will be named the Etsy Design Award Grand Prize Winner and will be awarded $15,000. Five category winners will be named Etsy Design Award Category Winners, winning $1,000. All winners will receive a trophy and a bundle of marketing and business prizes.
Sellers are invited to submit their entry to be considered for the competition. Submissions are open now until 29th of May 2019, 4:59am local UK time (14th of May, 12:01am until 28th of May, 11:59pm ET). Etsy sellers should submit their favourite piece—handcrafted, designed or vintage—between May 14 and May 28 for the chance to win. Finalists will be notified no later than the 1st of August 2019 and winners will be announced in September 2019.
Etsy say that sellers may enter once per shop, and for each shop they may only enter one product in one category. Etsy recommends choosing the item that sellers feel represents their talents.
A team of international tastemakers and experts in style, design, and entrepreneurship will join Etsy in picking and judging Etsy sellers. Together, they will be choosing the sellers who will receive the inaugural Etsy Design Award honours. The judging panel includes writer and actor Dan Levy, style expert Joe Zee, author and artist Garance Doré, interior designer Sophie Robinson, décor expert Holly Becker, and fashion designer Anavila Misra.
Etsy say they will be looking at the quality, creativity and utility as well as “wow” factor, personal story and top-notch branding of the Etsy items submitted across five categories:
- Inventive Decor: items that make home sanctuary-worthy
- Signature Style: jewellery, fashion, and accessories that make a statement
- Festive Celebrations: party decor and all things wedding
- Earth-Friendly: sustainably made finds
- Creative Collaborations: personalized, handcrafted goods
Sellers can refer to the category breakdown to determine which category fits their product. They should choose the category that will showcase their creativity.
What are the prizes for participants?
One Grand Prize Winner
- A cash prize of $15,000 USD to be awarded in the form of a cheque
- The Grand Prize Winner shop badge
Five Category Winners
- Cash prizes of $1,000 USD to be awarded in the form of cheques to each winner
- The Category Winner shop badge
- An Etsy Design Awards trophy
- A special feature on the Etsy blog
- Features on Etsy’s Editor’s Picks page, marketing emails, and social media
- One-year subscription of Etsy Plus – an expanded set of tools to help jump-start growth and express your brand.
- All shortlisted finalists will receive a Finalist Shop Badge and be featured on an Etsy Editor’s Picks page.
How to enter?
- A Seller should take a moment to confirm that they are eligible to apply.
- They should review the full official rules before entering.
- A merchants should double-check that their shop is in tip-top shape. Here are some helpful ways to make it stand out from the rest.
- Submit their expertly-crafted, high-quality, just plain amazing item
What criteria sellers must meet to apply?
- A Seller shop should not be on holiday mode, and shouldn’t be for the duration of the campaign.
- A Seller shop has at least 5 listings.
- A Seller submitted item has at least 5 photos.
- They are the owner of the shop and are submitting themselves, can’t enter on another shop’s behalf
- A Merchant is only submitting one entry per shop.
- Their shop and items comply with Etsy Guidelines and Etsy Seller Guidelines.
- If their item is vintage or one-of-a-kind, Etsy require that seller to put this item on hold from the time they enter until finalists are announced in August. If their vintage or one-of-a-kind item sells during this period, a seller’s submission becomes null and void.