OBA Glitch means Royal Mail Network Currently Unavailable [Resolved]

By Chris Dawson March 12, 2019 - 10:00 am

Online retailers will wake up this morning to discover problems with Royal Mail OBA (Online Business Account). This will prove a bit of a bind for those who rely on the accounts to purchase postage and Royal Mail asked customers to hold off on manifesting as this was the part that didn’t work. Royal Mail provided an alternative link for producing their standard paperwork to enable them to carry on shipping until the OBA glitch was resolved shortly after 11am.

Royal Mail’s Click & Drop team appeared to be squarely dodging responsibility for this one and making certain everyone knows that it’s not their fault. The language of their status update is very clear on this – not “We” as in the entire Royal Mail team have a problem, very much that the “Royal Mail OBA Department” have a problem. One might almost read into this that the Click & Drop team have had their own own share of glitches and they’re refusing to take the blame this time around.

Royal Mail Comment

“Customers using Click & Drop have been able to access all services as normal including creating labels and applying postage. However the Online Business Account (OBA) outage meant that Click & Drop customers were unable to access their online paperwork via OBA. We acted swiftly on a workaround for customers by providing them with a new link to standard paperwork so that they could process their orders as normal. This meant customers could continue to access all elements of the Click & Drop service all morning. Their Online Business Account services were restored at 11.15am.”
– Royal Mail

Royal Mail Click & Drop Status Announcement

12th March, 07:33am

Investigating – Royal Mail’s Online Business Account is currently having technical issues.
We have been contacted by Royal Mail OBA Department and they have asked that customers refrain from manifesting until further notice.
We will provide updates throughout the day. We Apologies for any inconvenience caused by this.”

– Royal Mail

12th March 09:38am

Identified – Our engineers have identified the cause of the issue and are currently working on a fix. We aim to resume normal service as quickly as possible. We are very sorry for any inconvenience caused.
– Royal Mail

12 March 11:14am

Resolved – We are pleased to announce the issue affecting manifesting has now been resolved, and all systems are now operational. Thank you for your patience, and please accept our apologies for any inconvenience caused.
– Royal Mail

• 5 months ago

Since Christmas I have found using the Click & Drop portal to be quite slow. Late last year they did do some work to improve the speed and it worked really well.

It does not matter who’s fault it is, people do not blame a department they blame the company, Royal Mail.

• jim
    5 months ago

no track or trace or tracking updates either
    my hermes becomes more attractive by the day

• 5 months ago

And what do you base that on?

• Jim
      5 months ago

@tyler
      We use both RM and my hermes
      We have a subjective opinion based on experience not just hear say or supposition

• jim
    5 months ago

reliability and cost

• 5 months ago

Not convinced…

I have used Royal mail for the past few years and don’t have any issues with reliability, rarely do they lose an item (1/3000) and my metrics for LDR is extremely low.

Cost is roughly the same as far as I know as I have been quoted by them.

I have no experience of using MyHermes so have no idea how reliable they are

• jim
      5 months ago

we have used royal mail one way or another all our life
      after care and customer service stinks ,its a business that survives on the past, any new innovation causes problems, as today and many times in the past proves

• 5 months ago

@jim Totally agree with you there about customer support, thankfully I rarely have need for any support.

Most times, like today, Royal Mail problem have been sorted out before it became a problem, depending on what time you manifest.

But I guess what you are really saying is that MyHermes is 100% perfect without a single problem, never lose an item and deliver on time with no issues.

I really must make the switch!

• Jim
      5 months ago

My hermes is far from perfect but they appear to strive to be better
      where Royal Mail seem to think they are so good they can’t improve

• 5 months ago

@jim And there was me thinking you were saying something of substance rather than grievance.

Royal Mail have improved a lot over the years I know MyHermes have invested heavily in their business but the bottom line for me is how they perform, not how they “supposedly” think according to somebody else.

I am sure MyHermes must be doing something right as they have many customers using their service, I have been told they pay out compensations claims very quickly with little fuss, which is much better than Royal Mail do, but I would rather they did not lose items in the first place.

MyHermes eventually got round to giving me a quote, but failed to sign me up due to bad customer service / sales. I did not bother chasing them up as I felt it was not a good start.

• SAM
    5 months ago

We are pleased to announce that the issues affecting Royal Mail’s Online Business account system have now been resolved. You can now manifest your orders again as usual.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

BE quick and manifest they will probably be bust in half and hour again

• Giuseppe
    5 months ago

Royal Mail : The Best

• ID
    5 months ago

Why the Royal Mail bashing? This was yesterday (12th) but is being reported on your latest news email today (13th) making it look like the issue is still active

I use Hermes and could not produce any labels through Hermes for a chunk of yesterday morning but cant see this reported anywhere on Tamebay?

At least i could still despatch order and produce labels via Royal Mail, i just couldn’t manifest which is done late in the afternoon anyway and the issue was fixed

Your headline is very misleading, we could still process orders, create labels etc through Click & Drop, we just could not manifest, and to be honest as this is generally done later in the day, i would not have noticed there was an issue

• 5 months ago

The news letter carries all news from the past 24 hours. If you read the article today you’d also have read that the issue was fixed.

If you see any problems with other carriers that could impact retailers (or anything newsworthy), I’m always happy for you to drop me a note to chris@tamebay.com

• ID
      5 months ago

I can see that you have updated the article, but the headline on your email and website still reads that C&D is down.

• 5 months ago

Good point! Resolved!

Royal Mail Ltd

Royal Mail is the leading provider of postal and parcel delivery services in the UK. We deliver to over 230 countries and territories worldwide.

Royal Mail

Royal Mail is the UK’s national postal service tasked with delivering to every household in the country