eBay GTC duration for fixed price listings now mandatory in US

By Chris Dawson March 19, 2019 - 11:15 am

In the latest eBay UK Seller Release, eBay said that they would make the Good ’til Cancelled (eBay GTC) from the 1st of April. eBay Australia had already made the move in what is a worldwide roll out and now it appears that eBay.com in the US went early too.

From yesterday, the 18th of March, eBay sellers started to report that short duration and 30 day listing options for fixed price listings had disappeared on eBay’s US site. The only option that now remains is eBay GTC and the drop down box to select other listing durations has disappeared.

This will naturally impact sellers in the UK and Europe if you list on eBay.com, but you might not notice that eBay GTC is your only option if you use a third party listing tool. If you try to launch a short duration fixed price listing on eBay.com and the option is still available through your listing tool, eBay will automatically convert your duration to eBay GTC when the listing on eBay.com goes live.

From yesterday, existing listings on eBay.com with other durations will continue until their specified end date or until they sell out. If these listings are renewed, eBay GTC will be the only duration option. Short durations will be reserved for listings in the auction format.

You can still launch short duration listings on eBay UK until the end of the month, at which point the only option will also become eBay GTC from the 1st of April.

• 1 month ago

EBAY SUCKS! Seasonal items have to be cancelled before they relist or you are stuck selling Christmas items in January. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!

• 1 month ago

can you say RETARDED? Ebay is going to lose out in this deal as this hurts ALL Smaller Sellers so if they wanted just Corporate Ebayers, they are about to get their wish. I feel betrayed often by eBay as they screw their oldest Supporters with BULLSHIT Policies and this one takes the cake. GFY eBay, Can you brainiacs figure that one out?

• alan paterson
    1 month ago

With the exception of seasonal items for specific events I fail to see why sellers are unhappy about the shorter duration listing. I have been selling on ebay for years and have never had cause to use any duration shorter than 30 days on a BIN. Am I missing something or is it just the “we hate everything ebay do” brigade again.

• 1 month ago

How about the fact that GTC don’t work as well as shorter durations, eBay has no robust tools to manage listings that run forever and even eBay themselves hate GTC so much so that three years ago they threatened to levy have a 10p fine on every listing every time it renewed if it didn’t get a sale within 18 months (or translated we’ve got a lot of crap on eBay that has never sold and will never be sold and the only way we can think of to get sellers to either cancel the crap or amend so that it’s saleable is to impose hefty fines).

• alan paterson
      1 month ago

GTC is one of the algorithms when calculating best match. Most ebayers would surely WANT to use GTC instead of 3, 5, 7, 10 and 30 when given this fact – a GTC gives not only far longer exposure but better “higher up” exposure on best match.

On the flip side of that – if the item has not sold for 18 months it is then “demoted” in best match and becomes almost invisible – the seller also gets a message “this item has not sold for 18 months please consider revising”. At least they are trying to address the problem you mention above.

Some of the sellers above – you would think they name was Chicken Little and the sky was falling. I do not see this “tweak” impacting negatively on any sellers.

• Rob
      1 month ago

I am currently going through the process of taking over 300 listings off ebay and relisting each one with new pictures and descriptions as some items have not sold for over 18 months. With in a few days to a week some are selling. Long process but worth it.

It is no good just clicking relist or sell similar it is much better to create a new listing and start again. I know on my personal ebay account if I just keep relisting an item that has not sold the views go down each month as it is pushed down the searches, yet if I create a new listing get more exposure and more likely get a sale.

• MC
      1 month ago

Because some of us are very small sellers of personal items and get a limited number of free listings every month, with occasional offers to list more for free. GTC could very well put me over my free limit on occasion and require me to pay listing fees. This is not a business for me, just a way to sell stuff I don’t need any more, and I would prefer not to have to pay just to list it.

• 3 weeks ago

Well, every time an item gets re listed with the GTC, we get charged. So for low value items a seller could end up paying ebay more fees than the item was worth in the first place.

• 1 month ago

Listings can look stale if always there. If I leave an item unlisted for 2-3 weeks, I usually get new interest in it.

• 1 month ago

I have always used GTC listings so nothing new for me.

ebay keeps telling me how some of my listings are Underperforming, funny thing is that the same items are selling well on Amazon, so maybe it is not my listings.

• Mark
    1 month ago

Exposure, exposure, exposure.

That’s all eBay keep spouting.
    When we signed up to them many moons ago nowhere did they say our platform will sell your products but only show them in a good light if you do exactly what we want and pay us more than the actual fees.

Imagine a builder building a big shop for a retail outlet and then when the company move in they say the following.

1) Oh we can build a door at the front so customers can walk in and buy now
    2) Oh for a few more pound per month we can put windows in at the front now so people on the street can see your items.
    3) Oh for a bit more money now each month we can make the windows glass so they can be seen through.

That is the eBay strategy just keep squeezing. Till we all find other outlets or reach retirement whichever comes first.
    God i wish i was older.

• Alan Paterson
      1 month ago

@ Mark, ebay keep spouting about exposure because ……….. it IS all about exposure. and that goes for Amazon, own web site, anywhere you sell online.

If you dont get exposure you wont sell.

From where I am sitting ebay are actually giving you good advice. hooray! Good advice from ebay.

I am off to have a custard filled doughnut……. you know the ones without the hole?

• 1 month ago

There are pros and cons, but on the whole the pros outweigh the cons, and there are ways to negate to the cons. Here are a few examples.

GTC PROS:

You get a sales history, which boosts you in the listings and gives buyers confidence, meaning more sales.
    You don’t forget to relist a 30 day listing and miss out on lots of sales for 12 months until a random buyer asks if you have a listing for “X” and you realise you don’t anymore.
    There is no sales downtime between listing ending and being relisting.

GTC CONS:
    Your sales history can inspire competitors to copy. (unless you reset the history)
    If you don’t have a sale for a while, you get pushed down the results. (but you can restore interest by adding to a sale/promotion, or just restart as a new listing)
    Seasonal things would have to be cancelled manually (really not difficult though)

• 1 month ago

This forced GTC change is not going to negatively impact larger merchants or retailers/ smaller sellers that have multi-quantity replenishable items (and of course already use GTC).

It’s the single item lower-velocity listings that are potentially most negatively impacted by this new change (and of course those sellers with single item and OOAK listings specifically).

The GTC listing intra-month sales velocity impact to Best Match isn’t deferred until 18 months though, it’s calculated on an ongoing basis and carried over every renewal period (monthly).

Thus, unless smaller sellers using only eBay-provided tools micromanage monthly timing, listing, delisting, their items, they are going to continuously sink over time (which is exactly eBay’s intent/desire)

Sellers, large or small, with “good” intra-month item sales of replenishable items would not want to “reset” the GTC listing back to baseline, since that sales velocity carries-over as a benefit the next month when it auto-renews). In contrast, an OOAK merchant listing will suffer negative Best Match placement impact on auto-renewal if it remains unsold.

• Olly Reay
    1 month ago

My 1000s of items on eBay are for a 3-day duration as I noticed people mainly bought items that had just been listed or was going to end (or they might search specifically for it). My sales are really good but this is seriously going to impact on my business as i’ll have 27 days of that 30-day GTC with nobody looking. I have 30-day on eBay.com and don’t have great sales but that could be postage cost reasons.

Like somebody said, eBay are determined to removed small businesses so they can become another John Lewis or Argos but we already have a John Lewis and Argos online selling stuff you can buy in any town. With eBay you can buy anything….thats the USP they can’t see.

• Mary
    2 weeks ago

I have taken just about every listing off Ebay. I cannot afford the new GTC fees. I am on a fixed income and Ebay sales are just not there anymore. Until this GTC gets put away, I cannot afford Ebay fees. It is ridiculous to want us to leave everything on there indefinitely when the item does not get see after a few weeks. We will be paying for NOTHING! Sales are way down on Ebay. We are not getting the traffic we had a year ago even.

eBay

eBay’s mission is to be the world’s favourite destination for discovering great value and unique selection