Amazon started as online book store and has grown to be the worlds largest online retailer.
Amazon Amplify to boost gender diversity and inclusion
In the week of International Women’s Day, Amazon has today launched Amazon Amplify – a series of initiatives designed to further increase the number of women in technology and innovation roles across its UK business (not to be confused with AWS Amplify). This new programme builds on existing diversity-focused initiatives at the company, including programmes to ensure diverse interview panels and increase volumes of women applicants, affinity groups for women, LGBT+, BAME and disabled employees, and transgender guidelines for managers and employees to support transgender staff and their allies.
The Amazon Amplify programme aims to further ramp up the recruitment and retention of women employees; encourage more women to consider careers in technology and innovation; and help prevent some of the biggest barriers to career progression cited by women in STEM roles across different sectors.
Amazon Amplify initiatives
Boosting the pipeline of future women innovations
- The Amazon Women in Innovation Bursary, providing funding of over £130,000 a year for up to 24 women students to fulfil their ambitions of a career in innovation and technology
- Amazon degree apprenticeship programme, enabling people of all ages and backgrounds to train as engineers and business leaders
- Opening Amazon’s doors and inspiriting future leaders with public tours and STEM workshops for children
Recruiting and retaining more women innovators
- New global candidate inclusive interview questions, which help find potential Amazonians who share Amazon’s commitment to diversity
- New UK-wide interactive training programme to support employees with: building confidence and self-awareness, as well as displaying confidence to others; adapting to different environments; being an effective contributor; and managing internal and external stakeholders
- A new AWS Return to Work programme, providing individuals on a career break with the opportunity to return to full-time employment following robust on boarding and coaching sessions and support from a subject matter per coach
A commitment to diversity goals
- Becoming a signatory to the WISE Ten Steps Commitments.
“Diversity fosters greater innovation and helps raise the bar for customers, and having a diverse workforce is also just the right thing to do. Our new Amazon Amplify plan aims to attract and retain the best and brightest talent in Britain, ensuring a positive environment in which they can thrive.”
– Fiona McDonnell, Director, Consumer Retail, Amazon and chair of the cross-industry Women in Innovation Advisory Committee