PayPal promote OnBuy marketplace with special offer

By Chris Dawson December 19, 2018 - 11:43 am

PayPal are officially promoting the OnBuy Marketplace as a PayPal negotiated offer. PayPal negotiated offers are designed to help save your business money and reach new customers.

This is a real coup for the OnBuy marketplace as it elevates them to the level of the two major UK marketplaces in the eyes of consumers and potential sellers on OnBuy – it gives a stamp of PayPal approval validating the work that they have done over the past few years to launch and grow their marketplace.

The PayPal offer is to “Reach new shoppers with OnBuy marketplace. Sign up now and receive 12 months free subscription. Offer expires December 31, 2018.”

Other promotions alongside OnBuy are Globe Packaging selling PayPal branded packaging (don’t buy from their website – it’s cheaper to buy from Globe Packaging on eBay) and Huboo multi-channel fulfilment.

OnBuy marketplace Alexa rankingOnBuy claim to have grown grown 1178% year on year now boasting over over 8 million items listed and saw 800% growth this summer alone. Checking Alexa rankings show that in the last quarter OnBuy’s traffic has skyrocketed which, at this time of year, should have translated into sales for their merchants.

8 Million items does still leave the OnBuy marketplace relatively small in comparison to eBay with over a billion listings and Amazon with around half a billion listings. It’s a nascent marketplace with significantly less traffic than the big two but, for many sellers, that shouldn’t put you off selling. There are millions of long tail listings on eBay that never get a sale and significantly more competition than on the OnBuy marketplace. If you’re looking to diversify and want to try a new growing marketplace then OnBuy is worth considering. If they can build on 2018 and continue to grow traffic through 2019 then by next Christmas there is the potential for them to deliver a bump in your marketplace sales that’s significant.

• 3 months ago

Will the 12 months free subscription offer from last year be extended ?

I like OnBuy, and have been working to optimise our lstings to gain more sales from it (it’s not doing badly), but I twitch when I see offers that benefit new customers and leave old ones carrying the cost. Hopefully I won’t see a reason to close the current account then sign up for a brand new one a few minutes later just to avoid being left out of this very generous offer !

Hi Alonicus,

Thank you for your positive feedback – we’re delighted to hear that you’re happy and already making sales! Rest assured we hear your concerns; this is something we have considered as we want to benefit all OnBuy sellers as we continue to grow, not just the newest to come onboard.

We offer incentives like this to get new sellers interested in onboarding (while taking away the risk of joining a new marketplace). New sellers bring more variety to OnBuy, enabling us to market our business even more and draw more customers – bringing more sales for you!

To benefit our current sellers, we’ve recently rolled out a first-of-its kind Sales Guarantee on our Standard package. This means that if you don’t make £500 in sales that month, we’ll waive the next month’s subscription fee! This is perfect for small-to-medium sellers, and helps to take the pressure off if sales aren’t where you want them to be.

As well as always being on hand to help, we’re always keen to hear feedback from our sellers – so please don’t hesitate to get in touch if you have any queries or want to discuss anything. We hope you have a prosperous 2019 and hope to see your sales soaring on OnBuy!

Best regards, OnBuy.

• 3 months ago

Thanks for the quick response !

I like that – most of what we sell is low-value, high volume, and it seems we’re generally just around the £500 a month mark (but working hard to increase it), so having a safety net at that level works well for us. We’re protected if we have a poor month for any reason, and when we go over the threshold, we know the margin we’ve made will cover the fees.

• 3 months ago

Thank you for your reply. We’re really glad to see our Sales Guarantee can increase your peace of mind as you sell on OnBuy – that’s exactly what we intended!

You mentioned you’re working hard to increase your sales; if you’d like our help with this, please do get in touch and we’ll be happy to advise.

Best regards, OnBuy.

• Zina
    3 months ago

I have been considering joining for the past couple of months, but this time of year is so busy I simply have no time to open a new account and start listing, can this not be offered until the end of January when it’s quieter and Christmas is out the way?

• 3 months ago

Hi Zina, thank you for asking these questions – we’re pleased to hear you’re considering joining us, and hope to welcome you on board in 2019.

We do appreciate that this time of year is a very busy one, but we regularly review and look to updating our seller offers so watch this space!

Best regards, OnBuy.

• 3 months ago

Still no proper categorisation for collectables, e.g., nothing for postcards. Never mind subcategories by country or type, there isn’t even a category for them!

We have inventory of 100,000 items but they’re clearly not interested.

Have mentioned this to them in the past, but nothing has changed.

Collectables makes up 13% of UK Ebay’s turnover. Plenty of sellers in those cats would love to jump over. But you’ve got to have proper categorisation.

People try to sell collectables on Amazon UK as well, but can’t get anywhere because they don’t have the categories either. Yet Amazon.com does!

Bizarre.

• 3 months ago

Hi Andy. Thank you for your comments – we’re always open to feedback, and have passed this on to our Product Team.

As we mentioned in another reply, we’re currently reviewing every category on OnBuy. This involves expanding the categories to not only ensure OnBuy.com is simple for customers to navigate, but it’s as easy as possible for sellers to join and start listing.

Any questions or further feedback, please don’t hesitate to get in touch!

Best regards, OnBuy.

• jim
    3 months ago

the really good news is that ebay will be looking over their shoulder

• BFT
    3 months ago

Questions for OnBuy.
    If people join in January, will the 12 months fee free offer and the £500 safety net still apply?
    I sell fishing tackle on eBay but can see your fishing category is populated with ladies’ flouncy hats, socks etc. This is really putting me off investing the time needed to transfer my listings over to you, as it looks a shambles in that category, if I’m honest.
    Any plans to sort this out soon?

• 3 months ago

I have never understood fishing as a sport or hobby, some of my friends used to say they were going fishing to get away from the wife, but if ladies’ flouncy hats, socks etc are the uniform / fashion for fishermen then I guess there is more to “fishing” than I ever thought.

Hi BFT,

Thank you for your comment. Rest assured the Sales Guarantee for our Standard Sellers isn’t going anywhere. While the subscription fee offer does have an expiration date, we’ll be looking to review our offers in 2019 – watch this space!

With regard to your comments on the fishing category, we’ve passed your feedback on to our Product Team. We are in the process of reviewing every category on OnBuy – this involves expanding the categories and recategorising any products that have been listed in the wrong place.

On top of this, part of our onboarding process for new sellers is to ensure the category structure they need is in place, which involves tidying up any stray products too.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask – we’re happy to help!

Best regards, OnBuy.

• 3 months ago

I looked at onbuy a while ago as an alternative to ebay due to the ever changing hurdles on ebay. I might re-address it and have another fresh look, I currently feel that I have all my eggs in one basket with ebay. If i remember correctly there wasn’t a suitable category for me to list in (commercial spare parts), it seemed to be more aimed at general consumer goods rather than B2B sales. I will have a look and see if the category choices have improved. I also think they had a strict no watermark policy meaning I would have to re-touch the pics for over 10’000 items we currently have on ebay.

• Mark
    3 months ago

Hi we have been on the site for a while now (since the start) and the hardest thing we find is customers complain about finding items as the categories are poor (hopefully not much longer) and a listing issue we have is You need barcodes so un barcoded items are not able to be listed.

I would join any site to try and move from eBay

• Darren
      3 months ago

Well that rules out OnBuy for us then, we have several thousand lines that we have no good reason for GS1 barcodes for.

• 3 months ago

None of our items have barcodes either so it looks like it is a no no for us at this moment in time, I have been looking at the site and it is a shame we can’t try them as they look like they could really contend with ebay and grab a slice of our 15k per month ebay fees. Hopefully in the future they will look at what sellers want in order to become a serious alternative to ebay.

• Darren
    3 months ago

Seems you have a problem with Drop Shippers on OnBuy. I just had a quick look and found one called SwiftDeals that just copies Amazon listings. I bet they hold no stock, just buy from Amazon when they get an order.

• Al
      3 months ago

I noticed SwiftDeals too. They are selling my line of goods at vastly inflated prices. Agreed, they are dropshipping. As a buyer browsing through the site and seeing their prices, it’s a real turn-off.

• Toby
    3 months ago

We joined OnBuy last month as this is a quiet time for us and so ideal to put in the effort to get stuff on and running. I must say that customer service when i have had a question etc has been 1st class. Fast and accurate to my request! Yes there are the usual copy and paste sellers and those that must just import all their listings and never check they are showing correctly, but atleats when we have encountered this and it has affected us, the c.s team have been quick to step in and sort it for us.
    I have no idea how we will do over the next 12 months, but i am happy that the cs team will do all they can to help…. unlike ebay who seem to be doing all they can to hinder.
    For the say of around £20 for the year, I think it would be a poor show on my behalf not to put the effort back into a company who are trying so hard, (esp when i bitch so much about ebay and wishing there was an alternative).
    To those that won’t be ready to join until Jan…. for the sake of loosing one free month, I would join now and just think of it as 10 months free rather than 11…. but that is still alot of relatively risk free opportunity!

• alan paterson
      3 months ago

I disagree that this is “risk free”. As a seller we need to be careful where we spend our time. Its far more sensible to spend our time on the platforms that are giving us a return ie ebay and Amazon.

We cant “risk” the time spent on new listing on a platform that gives a fraction of a return than ebay and Amazon.

• 3 months ago

@alan paterson I disagree with your comment

“We cant “risk” the time spent on new listing on a platform that gives a fraction of a return than eBay and Amazon.”

How will a business ever expand outside of eBay & Amazon if they do not put the effort in?

When I first started I put effort into eBay with little reward, should I not have bothered?

I am currently putting effort into promoting my own website, with little reward, but will persevere as I believe it will work.

If you already use a system that adds listings, syncs your stock and produces orders from each market place that works with OnBuy then there is little risk or effort needed.

If you would need to run everything manually, as I would, and keep a selection of stock just for OnBuy then it may be too much effort, if you are busy. Although once you have it all set up if you get no sales, not much work / effort will be needed.

Sometimes we have to take a risk….

Happy New Year to you all.

• alan paterson
      3 months ago

@ Tyler, I think when you started ebay would have had FAR more traffic than OnBuy at present.

all I can say is that you must have a very successful business if you can spend the time on a platform like OnBuy. I would think it is a fact that if the same time was spent on ebay or amazon a better return would be achieved.

Its not whether you get sales or not – its relative to the time you invest for these sales.

If you have time to spend on a platform that will give you a smaller return I take my hat off to you.

Me? I cant afford that time or that risk. I need to spend it very, very wisely and thats ebay and Amazon – the two platforms that we KNOW we will get a return for our efforts.

Its risky spending your time on a platform when you dont know if you are going to get a return on your investment (and I mean your time not your money).

if you can afford that I applaud you but most sellers cant.

You can compare it when you first started on ebay. The internet was a very, very different climate back then and ebay was very dominant from the start. I would suggest that ebay has always give you the best return on your time investment.

• 3 months ago

@ alan paterson Sorry still have to disagree with you.

I am not sure how much time a person needs to spend on eBay / Amazon, all my orders are imported to my website and I simply print out orders & labels, then pick & pack. What would really help is for both Amazon & eBay to use some type of postal address look up for customers to input correct address information to save me having to edit 65% of addresses.

I think it has been said that OnBuy will help with the set up of your listings, which can be done quite easily, then if you don’t have any sales what else is there to do?

The best return on my time & money is Amazon, where sales are 4x more than eBay, but I am not looking to dump eBay just yet.

But all of the above aside, “As Toby said, it was a quiet time of year, so had time to put in a bit bit of effort without it impacting on his current business.” So he clearly did have time to try new things.

Meanwhile, I will continue to waste my time & effort trying new ideas like Google ads / Google shopping – Facebook ads / Instagram / Pinterest etc to promote my own website sales rather than rely on a market place that I have no control of.

I still may give OnBuy a go yet

• 3 months ago

We have been on Onbuy for the last 3 months. I agree as a seller it is very good. The biggest but most important problem is they (Onbuy) are more concerned in getting more and more sellers and not concentrating on getting buyers. It’s a lot of effort to put on your listings to only get a few sales a month (that’s right a few sales a month). We get more sales in a day from either ebay or amazon than what we get from Onbuy in a month

• 3 months ago

@Tony There may be method to their madness, they need stock to please the customers or customers will give up on them if they do not find what they are looking for.

OnBuy.com

A rapidly growing UK-based marketplace with millions of buyers, OnBuy.com offers sellers risk-free selling with lower fees and immediate payment by PayPal.

PayPal

PayPal Working Capital is a merchant cash advance linked directly to your PayPal account.