MetaPack are the leading provider of delivery management technology to enterprise retailers and retail delivery partners across the world.
Key shopping trends and consumer delivery preferences in 2018
Delivering a stand-out experience with every online interaction will increase customer loyalty over time, according to new research from MetaPack which examines key shopping trends and consumer delivery preferences in 2018. If retailers and brands understand the importance of getting the basics right, enabling customers to curate their own deliveries, and have their requirements met rapidly and to specific requirements, customers will reward them with long-term commitment and repeat orders.
The research shows that against the backdrop of struggling sales on the high street, the experiences that ecommerce retailers and brands can uniquely provide are helping them to stay ahead in the race for customer allegiance. The research validates many of the features marketplaces have introduced such as eBay‘s new multi-buy feature, promotions merchants can offer to consumers and the search incentives offered for free delivery or qualification for Amazon Prime.
The research, which was carried out online in July 2018 with 3597 consumers of all ages in Canada, France, Germany, the Netherlands, Spain, the UK and the US, examines how the delivery choices shoppers encounter influence the purchasing decisions they make.
Key Shopping trends in 2018
- 75% of consumers have purchased more items to take advantage of a minimum spend ‘free delivery’ option
- 61% of consumers say a positive delivery experience incentivises them to shop with an ecommerce retailer again
- 49% of shoppers would prioritise shopping with one online provider over another if it offered a loyalty programme featuring free next day delivery
- 44% of consumers are tempted to try out new delivery options to take advantage of collection from a local pick-up point
- 54% now say that it is somewhat, or very important, they’re able to choose which carrier delivers their online purchases
- 77% of consumers are conscious of, or care deeply about the environment when thinking about how they receive their deliveries
- 78% of shoppers have purchased from a luxury brand in the last 12 months
Getting the basics right reaps dividends
Most consumers now expect free delivery for their everyday purchases, and many identify slow delivery as a negative delivery experience. Retailers and brands who get the fundamentals right every time are giving themselves a competitive advantage.
- 62% of shoppers said free delivery is the top consideration for the majority of purchases they make and 49% don’t expect to pay for standard delivery any longer
- 70% of online consumers are prepared to pay extra to ensure speed and convenience, such as one-hour, same day or Sunday delivery
- 82% of US shoppers had purchased more goods to take advantage of free delivery
- 81% of Canadian and French shoppers and 80% of UK shoppers said free delivery would incentivise them to buy more online during peak sales such as Black Friday