eBay’s mission is to be the world’s favourite destination for discovering great value and unique selection
New eBay mobile valuation tool celebrates iPhone 9 launch
To celebrate the iPhone XS, iPhone XR, and iPhone 9 launch this September, eBay UK have launched a new mobile valuaion tool on site they say will help Brits to make up to £50 more when selling a mobile on site, compared to other outlets.
Whilst this is primarily a tool aimed at consumers, the eBay mobile valuation tool is also a quick and ready check for business sellers who want to sell mobiles on eBay.
“Since its debut 11 years ago, the iPhone has been the most popular phone on eBay to date. We always see spikes in searches for older models with people checking their value, just before Apple’s new releases. Now we have made it easier for people to sell their old models in order to upgrade to the new one and customers stand to make up to £50 more by selling on eBay.co.uk.”
– Nikin Patel, Director of Consumer Selling, eBay UK
When it comes to upgrading to a new smartphone, more than 42% of Brits tend to keep their old phone until it no longer works, rather than selling to afford a new model. And, almost 60% of Brits believe that an iPhone that is one or two years old will only be worth less than £100.
The new tool will allow users to search and sell their old model for the best price on site – noting that Sunday evenings are the most popular time to bag a bargain.
With the ‘iPhone’ remaining the number one most searched for item on eBay UK, and the 2013 iPhone 5S still the best-selling with over 1.6 million related listings currently on site, to celebrate the arrival of the “9” eBay have put together nine top facts about the iPhone.
9 facts to mark the iPhone 9 from eBay UK
- The most expensive iPhone model ever sold on site was the iPhone 6, in the last three months a listing for the 16MB Gold “Apple iPhone6,” fetched more than £1,000.
- In the last 12 months, eBay.co.uk has seen eight iPhones sold every half an hour – ranging from the latest model to the original iPhone 3G, as Brits get nostalgic for old models.
- The iPhone 5s was the best-selling and most popular model on eBay, with more than 1.6 million related listings. It was the first to have the touch ID function and a front facing HD camera, with iPhone 6s as the next best seller.
- Brits stand to make £50 more for selling their old model on eBay.co.uk – with the average purchase price for an iPhone currently fetching £265 on site.
- Since the launch of the iPhone in 2007, sales on site have jumped by 5000% with eBay.co.uk seeing 16,000 searches in that first year – compared to 835,000 in 2016.
- And in 2011 eBay saw a massive increase in demand for iPhone accessories. Selfie sticks proved particularly popular as Brits were sick of straining to get the right angle, and searches increased from eight in 2010 to 37,000 in 2011.
- On Black Friday last year, 283,000 of the iPhone 6 were sold in one day on eBay.co.uk, that’s the equivalent of over 10,000 Birkin bags!
- Last year, Brits spent more than 730 million minutes on site searching for the perfect iPhone accessories – that’s enough time to watch all of the Star Wars films more than 500,000 times.
- Today, there are more than 11 million iPhone related listings currently on site, and with more than four million related items sold in the last three months alone – that’s one every second – eBay.co.uk is the place to shop when it comes to the new release this September.