eBay.com unveils new marketing campaign

By Dan Wilson September 13, 2018 - 3:09 pm

eBay.com has unveiled a new marketing campaign in the USA that focusses on some of the interesting and relevant items that you can find on the eBay marketplace. The theme of the campaign is: “What’s Trending on eBay? Everything That’s Relevant and Important to You.”

The diverse experience that our customers have on eBay is very different from any other commerce experience. We feel in many ways that eBay is part of what shapes our society and the world we live in. And this is exactly what we’re celebrating with our new marketing campaign, which we are debuting this week. Our new television and digital creative highlights what we’ve known all along: Everything that’s relevant, interesting and current is on eBay – and you can buy it now.
– Scott Cutler, SVP, eBay Americas

The ad will be appearing via a national, multi-channel campaign across devices and platforms. They say the idea is for it to be “popping up during moments that are relevant to you, on TV, radio, digital, billboards and more.”

And here are several of the TV ad spots on Youtube:

This ad campaign has originated in the USA and promotes eBay.com and there is no news on whether it will be spreading further afield or crossing the Atlantic to the UK. Certainly in Britain the Fill your Cart with Colour campaign is still running and radio ads have still been running this week. One of the problems with that campaign was that it was, in part, a swipe at Amazon and the ‘brown’ parcels they deliver.

This campaign is more striking than some past efforts and it plays to eBay’s unique strengths of quirkiness and eclecticism. But in any case, marketing spend is marketing spend and one of the things that merchants are paying eBay for is promotion of the marketplace so you can bag buyers. And in that spirit any big campaign can only be a good thing.

But do you like it?

2 weeks ago

Ebay is falling apart. Messages sent have your own user name on instead of the user you sent it to. They charge 10% on postage and say it’s to make it cheeper and fairer for the buyer and seller. They have a crazy 10% off on sertain seller obviously none you want to buy from. They’re that worried you can share your listing on social media and if it sells you don’t have to pay final fee. That’s because people have had enough of their rediculous fees. 35p to list. 10% final fee. 10% on postage. The only way ebay is going is down

2 weeks ago

Oh yeah and the new items within 5 miles. Why do i want to see millions of second hand stinky shoes and shirts that people are selling within 5 miles.
    I told them about the problems i January and they changed the app back to normal, now 8 months later it’s back exactly the same. They don’t listen to their customers. They’re to big and GREEDY.

• toby
    2 weeks ago

I love the whats trending thing on the app…. last night it came up with alsorts of random stuff… one trend was something with 350 views and 130 clicks… yeah… that item is hot hot hot!
    If im honest i think the key to ebays future lies firmly with them getting their sellers back behind them. After all it’s our stuff that is being sold! If the sellers were happy then they would be telling everyone about ebay! Sadly most of us are too busy trying to transfer our business elsewhere!

• 2 weeks ago

@Toby I hear you, shame eBay does not!

2 weeks ago

so why dont we get behind them? most like to come on here and trash the platform.

• David
      2 weeks ago

It is difficult to get behind a company who introduce systems like the returns metric penalty fee and when you ask for clarity on the way it will work, depending on whom you speak to, you get a different answer. The new system will add 58% to the fees they charge.

They sent an email out in June and July stating some sellers will be charged this fee but can’t answer basic questions on how it will work.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I am happy to listen to sellers who feel ebay is an asset to their business, but since they introduced this penalty charge I can’t see how sellers will feel empowered by eBay.

• Mike
      2 weeks ago

@alan paterson asks sellers to get behind eBay, but @Toby and @Ben make valid points. eBay is not listening to its sellers.

People get behind things they believe in and want to support. Why would anyone want to get behind a supplier who treats them badly?

The onus is on eBay to treat sellers – their customers, lest we forget – far better than they do. That would be something I could get behind. I’m sure other sellers could do exactly the same.

It’s not the sellers with something to prove, it is eBay.

2 weeks ago

@ Mike, IF what you say is true then sellers should lead from the front and do as Toby suggests and “get behind the platform”. we all sell on the platform so we should be behind it anyway – not see it as the “enemy”.

Surely supporting the platform is better plan than what is currently happening ie. coming on here with nothing but criticism (most posts on here).

My suggestion would certainly be a better alternative rather than what is currently happening.

I disagree anyway – ebay have regular meetings to discuss feedback from sellers. I have seen changes / amendments and things rolled back based on feedback from sellers. This happens on a regular basis. If it appears to you that ebay aren’t listening – its simply not true – they may not always agree with sellers but they DO listen and assess.

• 2 weeks ago

@ alan paterson It really depends on what you mean by get behind them, we are behind them in the way that we “support them with our business” in the same way that I am supporting my local carpet shop today by having them fit carpets.

But that does not mean that I am blind to the faults of eBay, how else should I support them?

I pay them for a service which is mediocre, whilst they try many gimmicks, they fail to fix many things that are wrong with the system.

My sales are showing 30% up on the last 31 days, but ebay sales are 30% down on last year. Whilst I keep making money from eBay I will continue to be a customer and “support” them, but that line was getting quite close.

I have said before that I am finding many of my regular customers buying on Amazon now rather than eBay, I have not lost them as customers, eBay has, which is not a good sign.

2 weeks ago

@ Tyler – by get behind them I mean – just acting a little bit positive towards the platform. You are one of the level headed rational sellers on here but that is fairly rare.

In contest we have had sellers on here trying to organise boycotts of the platform (to give just one example). Sellers should lean to the positive side and look at the things ebay are doing right rather than dwelling on what they think ebay are doing wrong. Such an attitude only holds their own businesses back.

2 weeks ago

Ebay is finished! They’ve treateded us bad so we’re allmoving to instagram and facebook market where it’s free and easier. It’s paypal that guarantee your money if your parcel goes missing not ebay. Ebay like to make out it’s them but all they are is a selling platform pullong the wool over our eyes.
    Times are moving forward and ebay can stay behind. Hope they get some karma for charging us all 10% on postage for 7 years and saying it’s for our benifit to make it cheeper. How can charging 10% on postage make it cheeper. Paypal brought out the easy way to pay with just an email and now we can all use it on social media to sell. Paypal one off payment with just an email address and guaranteed refund will be ebays achilles heel

@ BEN.

Iam not moving to instagram and my Facebook advertising is running at over 20% of my turnover according to FB Pixel. Certainly a lot higher than ebay fees.

You must, must show me how to do this free and get results……….

🙂

• 2 weeks ago

@ alan paterson – When I know I will let you know…

2 weeks ago

@ TYLER , I would be most grateful for this information and in turn I will reward you with a lifetime supply of unbreakable shoe laces.

2 weeks ago

Why would you advertise on facebook. It’s free!! Just list your items and people message you and says I’ll have that mate. Do you take paypal. Yeah mate job done. SOLD 100% covered with paypal what more do you want. Ebay are just robbing us. Instagram is easy as well. Set an account up and diect them to your website. You can set up a godaddy website for £1 and the domain will cost you £10 or you can stay on ebay and back them and pay 35p per listing. 10% final fee and 10% on postage. Works out alot if you send across the water.

@ Ben

Oh dear. “why would I advertise on facebook?”

I am not sure you should be sharing an opinion on here. Its looking like its not an educated one………

2 weeks ago

@ Ben ….. and your percentages dont apply to most people on here. Most people posting on Tamebay are business sellers, many will be Top rated and most will have an ebay shop making their percentages they pay quite different to what you are quoting.

Regarding your point about ebay being finished ……… what you have written since that kinda undermines your credibility.

I do ebay full time. take it from me ……… its anything but finished.

2 weeks ago

@ ben, sorry my last comment may have been a bit rude.

To rephrase – there is a reason facebook market place is free. You get what you pay for.

to get consistent business sales you need to turn to Facebook Advertising which off course costs money but does get consistent results.

• 2 weeks ago

@alan paterson I have tried Facebook advertising without much success, maybe I have not spent enough to give it a chance but how much should sellers commit to something that does not seem to be working.

Free advertising on Facebook & Instagram, yes it can be done but not without effort, maybe I should use more “kittens” in my posts.

It is an area that I need to work on and have somebody who is going to be doing it for me, but the benefit of eBay is you pay on results and I am more than happy paying eBay my monthly subscription + 8.1% per sale and would be even happier if my eBay bill could double.

When you consider Amazon charges 15%, eBay is cheaper by 2.5/3.5%

• Lucy
      2 weeks ago

Your comment ‘I am not sure you should be sharing an opinion on here. Its looking like its not an educated one’ was undoubtedly rude.

Having a bad day Alan? Poor Ben seems to be getting the brunt of it. He like everyone on Tamebay is allowed his opinion. You must love eBay so much to defend it so strongly.

• David
      2 weeks ago

@Tyler. I agree Amazon is slightly more expensive than EBay, but with Amazon the fee covers everything. With EBay though don’t you have to include the PayPal fee as well as the eBay final selling fees?

• 2 weeks ago

@David Each seller is different and so it can vary.

For my own example:

Basic shop @£25
      Paying 9% FVF less 10% for being a TRS making that 8.1%

My August invoice was 8.8% without VAT

PayPal fees @2.9% + 20p per order, up from 2.4% as I no longer hit the £6,000 per month target.

Paypal August invoice was 3.8%

Making an overall 12.6% compared to Amazon @15%

But on the plus side, Amazon gets 3x more sales for their extra 2.4% which I am happy with.

1 week ago

@ Lucy above. yes, to be honest Lucy – yes I was having a “bad day”. But the major reason I was having a bad day is reading posts like Bens’.

His initial attack on ebay was uncalled for and it became apparent he didnt know what he was talking about.

I do respect other sellers opinion – providing it is based on some knowledge and truth or experience. The very face that Ben has to ask “why advertise on facebook – its free” illustrates his lack of knowledge of the situation. unfortunately new sellers come along read posts like Bens’ and then go off and do the wrong thing – like selling on the wrong platform. If folk dont know – they should not be handing out advice.

I apologise if I sounded harsh.

And yes, I do love ebay. it has kept me in employment for the past 15 years when normally I would have became “unemployable”. I will defend it – especially when folk are talking “rubbish” and trashing the platform. Comparing Facebook Marketplace to ebay is like comparing a push bike to a Formula 1 car.

1 week ago

Alan you are the one with lack of knowledge. Facebook market is free to list. You like the local selling pages and list for free. You’re obviously not up with the times and don’t understand how to use facebook.
    Do some research first before you attack people

1 week ago

@ Ban …… lol, your funny.

1 week ago

@ BEN, I think everyone on here, their relatives and their cats and dogs and their grannies knows about FB Marketplace. Thats NOT what we are talking about.

I do this for a living. YOU do your research before you come on here declaring ebay :finished”.

jeeeeez …….. and I thought I was arrogant.

(well I am but at least I know what im talking about).

You are just illustrating my previous point (about you being ignorant).

(sorry that was rude (but true)). Bad day again lol

1 week ago

No worries Alan and everything I said is true. I have nothing to hide but why does ebay try and hide the fact that thay are charging their customers 10% on postage? Look at any ebay invoice and where does it say at the bottom

Discount fees
    End of listing fees
    Ebay fees on postage
    Total cost

It doesn’t because they are trying to hide the fact that they charge 10% on postage by saying it’s an overall 10% fee so the the average jo who doesn’t know doesn’t see it.

And you can slag me off all you like but the simple fact is that it’s all true and i’m merely pointing it out as I don’t like being robbed and also don’t like my fellow ebayers also being robbed.
    I like ebay but it dosen’t mean I’ll let them walk all over me.
    This is the reason why they get away with it because no one speaks out or no one knows about it.
    I understand people make a living out of ebay but why should we let them get away with it. Do we let the government put fuel up £0.20 or $ 0.60 over night and say nothing? I don’t think so. I’m on your side Alan as a seller and a buyer unless you’re employed by them.

1 week ago

@ Ben, yes everything else you said is true.

Alan give us a good reason why ebay charge a 10% fee on postage

1 week ago

@ Ben, I can answer that one and unfortunately it was bad sellers that forced ebay hand to introduce the fees on postage.

There were many sellers abusing the “no fee” postage at the time by putting the bulk of the cost on postage so as ebay fees would not apply to the bulk of the sale. (although ebay did introduce a postage cap for many categories).

I think we all remember the items for £1 with £5 postage. Certainly sellers were trying to circumvent the fees. I dont see another solution.

1 week ago

10% ebay fee on £1 chocolate frog might not be alot but when you send an item to europe and it costs £70 it’s an extra £7 ebay fee plus the £100 fee on the £1000 item i’m sending so it cost me £107 and you think it’s acceptable for ebay to charge that extra £7 for what obsurd reason?

1 week ago

I do take your point Ben. I was hit with extra fees. There were reasons why ebay introduced this but the main reason I have posted above.

Many sellers in the past have abused the ebay system. bad sellers dont seem to care about the buyers and this erodes the platform and spoils it for the rest. Often ebay have to take steps.

I do see your point though – sometimes bigger things are happening and its not as simple as ebay trying to get more money from sales.

I dont like these new metrics though and agree with much of what has already been said above.

1 week ago

however your point about ebay being finished, me not knowing what im talking about and your farcical comments about facebook kinda undermines the rest of your posts.

I get annoyed when folk trash ebay – as you did – just because YOU cant make it work.
    When you went on to say that Facebook advertising is free – that kinda shows your ignorance. You are mixing Facebook Advertising programme up with the rather pointless Marketplace (which is free). Go try making a “living” or a “business” on FB Marketplace. THATS NOW WHAT WE WERE DISCUSSING. So dont come on here and try and correct me.

I spend a 4-fig sum per month on FB Advertising. I think I know what im talking about.

The very fact that you don’t know about FB Advertising programme and your wonderfully naive comments trying to “inform” me – well – you saw my reaction. You are shouting your ignorance from the hilltops.

1 week ago

Alan I understan that there was a problem but the answer is not then charge the customer a 10% fee ro stop the problem and make billions ofc the back of it.
    They’re quick to send you a message if you put your email or phone number in a mesaage or if you try to strike a deal out of ebay they say they moniter all messages but the simple fact is they see a good oportunity to make 10% on postage as well. If they wanted to they could have easyly have stoped the problem if they wanted to. People could have reported it the same as people report offensive symbols from the war .
    Anyway they already give their reason. ” to make it fairer and cheeper for the buyer and seller”

1 week ago

@ Ben, when you are losing a discussion do you change to a different point entirely?! it would seem so.

the original reason I engaged with you was your declaration that ebay was finished and then you tried to “educate ” me on FB advertising saying it was free.

I must get my £20k back off Facebook………..

If you don’t like ebay and dont like their rules then get off the platform but don’t try to drag other sellers with you. what would buyers think if they read this page?

If you dont know anything about FB advertising maybe you should not try educating others either.

1 week ago

The way I see it is ebay can see buying and sellibg is rapidly moving over to social media sites that son’t charge any fees and in todays ever quick changing market we can easily get paid with just a simple email address (paypal) or phone number with banks ebay are in the dust unless thay move quick and stop robbing us. If you haven’t already noticed but ebay are giving you the option to share your listing on social media and if it sells you don’t pay and end of listing fee. That says something about the moving times and the shear worry ebay have about free social media sites.
    That’s why they have this massive marketing compain but I’m affraid it’s to little to late as people have lost trust in ebay through their extortionate fees. It’s about the younger generation and I know they all say why pay 10% when you can sell for free.
    They’re in a situation now as well cause they can’t lose face and drop the fees as their share holders will pull out so they have to carry on down wrong track till it ends. And at the moment facebook are trying to win their users back after they all left over night because of the data breach analitics.

@ Ben

regarding your comment about selling off the platform in a couple of posts above (ie circumvention of ebay fees) being about ebay getting to charge postage is monumentally ignorant.

did you not hear of the ITV documentary last year “ebay scammers”. That was just the tip of the iceberg. if ebay hadn’t taken action to protect themselves we would all have been finished. Circumvention of fees is/was ripe. I had ebay customers turning up every week at our premises asking to buy what they had seen on ebay. They were directed towards my computer in the corner and invited to log in to their account and buy (careful about linked accounts – dont do this at home people)

You have completely missed the point. I have never read anything so naive and preposterous in my life. people like you who post on here are dangerous as you THINK you know whats going on when you have only a small part of the jigsaw. that can be forgiven but you then go on and try to lecture others and pretend you know the full picture.

regarding your last post – proof in the pudding. My sales were exactly £25.00 in FB Marketplace. Just over £4000 on FB Advertising from an adverting budget of just over £1,000 and ebay was £44,000 from a budget of about £5.5k fees. Do the math. But dont try and “educate” others when you have obviously no idea / experience what you are talking about.

Im through with this thread. Good luck with Marketplace. It may be free but can it give you an income? I will save you the trouble testing it – no. Can ebay? yes but it needs to be done correctly.

Your choice is deciding whether to listen to the guy making it work……..or the folk who have failed or are failing. But ebay is anything but finished.

1 week ago

Alan here are the simple facts.

Local Facebook selling groups are taking over from eBay as the place to earn cash flogging unwanted stuff in your area – and now with Facebook Marketplace having launched, it’s even easier. The best bit is there are NO fees, so the profit’s all yours.

1 week ago

with respect Ben, have already given you the facts

1 week ago

And my whole point was to say that ebay need to change and stop charging so high fees aspecially the 10% on postage that their customers are unaware about as the try to hide it by not putting it on there invoice breakdown total and by saying it’s an overall fee combined. Postage and the sellers value fee.

1 week ago

If this were an educated point I would engage further. its not. I am though with this thread.

My advice is to get on with your ebay business Ben instead of regurgitating information you have read on here or on the internet. Remember ….. they were saying ebay were finished back in 2001.

• Terry
    1 week ago

Facebook Marketplace is little more than the classified ads. I cannot see any material difference to Gumtree for example.

I think the words ‘flogging unwanted stuff’ is a bit of a clue here. I have used Facebook Marketplace to shift some furniture, kids toys etc before a house move. However, ‘flogging’ unwanted stuff, and running a fully fledged ecommerce business are not quite the same.

My rule of thumb…if you can ship it at a sensible price, use E-Bay, if you cannot, use Facebook Marketplace.

What I would add though is that Facebook Marketplace may well be the acorn from which a new competitor to E-Bay appears one day.

1 week ago

They don’t need a marketing campain. Everyone knows who ebay is. They need to lower their fees, it’s as simple as that otherwise like i’ve been saying social media sites will take over and rule the market leaving ebay behind.

• 1 week ago

@Ben

I don’t really understand your point on the 10% on postage, that does not make sense to me. Sure, eBay never used to charge you a fee on postage, but people abused it, but YOU do not actually pay it do you? Surely your customer pays it. I add the cost of postage to the item which includes the eBay fee & VAT that I have to pay out of it, leaving me with the cost of postage.

Surely when eBay choose to charge you postage you put up your prices to cover it?

It is a rip off though, if a customer buys two items they pay for the postage twice as I send it in the same box, extra profit for me as well as eBay.

1 week ago

I understand that and like you say selling new goods on ebay isn’t the same as selling on facebook but if everyone did decided to sell their second hand goods on facebook market place for free and set up pages on instagram with pictures and links to their websites where would that leave ebay and the share holders if they lose half their customers to social media….

Well it’s not a case of “if” it’s “when”

and I imagine there’s more second hand sellers on ebay than people selling new goods but I’ll say half to keep it neutral

1 week ago

Only because for example if you add 10% to your postage fee on the ebay listing and the parcel turnes up and says £3.95 on lable with out the 10% people start grizzling and leave you negative postage feedback.
    But like you say charge the customer.
    But ebay don’t like that cause it puts people off from buying on their site but ebay are happy to charge the seller 10% though.

It’s a buyers market as they say.

The couriers keep putting their prices up as well so sellers can’t win and as well as that the seller compition on ebay keep lowering the prices and selling close to a loss.

• 1 week ago

@Ben – I think your response to my last post shows where you are coming from, I was not sure but had a feeling.

I am going to assume that you sell second hand items, which is completely different from selling new, as I and many others do.

So for one thing eBay need to understand the difference, but they don’t and it is a big difference. You also need to understand the difference, between your needs as a seller and somebody that is selling new items.