Adyen eBay Payments Screen Shot from beta testing

By Chris Dawson September 7, 2018 - 10:45 am

The first eBay Payments Screen Shot has been spotted on eBay.com as beta tests roll out and Adyen starts to power payments for the marketplace. This is what will eventually become the default across eBay world wide with some sellers in the US already opting in and starting to use Adyen this month as eBay rolls out testing from eBay staff members to real eBay sellers.

The first thing to note from the eBay Payments Screen Shot is that PayPal is not offered on these listings, although it will eventually become a part of eBay payments. For the beta tests eBay said up front that PayPal would not be an option but will be added later. The only payment option currently in eBay Payments is debit or credit card.

Sellers may also have a bit of a shock coming down the line when PayPal is eventually added. It is very possible (as seen with Etsy Payments) that PayPal will be offered but not to sellers’ personal PayPal accounts. PayPal payments may go straight into eBay Payments and be disbursed to sellers accounts along with credit and debit card and other payment methods such as Apple Pay which eBay have already announced will be their first new integration.

When a buyer makes their first payment with eBay Payments, they’ll find their name and invoice address already pre-populated and will be asked to enter their preferred payment card details. eBay offer to store these details for future payments which shouldn’t come as a surprise, but if you prefer eBay and Adyen not to store your payment credentials that is an option. We’re already hearing from eBay users who say they don’t want their payment credentials store by eBay as they don’t trust them but that’s a bit of an alarmist attitude to have. eBay users were perfectly happy to have their payment information stored by PayPal and let’s not forget that PayPal was owned by eBay for many years.

The big issue that early adopters of eBay Payments may face is the lack of PayPal. Regular eBay buyers are so accustomed to paying with PayPal on eBay that they may well regularly shop without having their bank card to hand so there is bound to be a certain amount of friction to sales where eBay payments is the only option.

eBay Payments beta features

As a reminder for those opting into the eBay Payments beta, the main things you need to know are:

• eBay will consolidate payments and invoices into a single account
  • Payouts will be made daily to your bank account
  • eBay are exploring faster ways to get paid with partners
  • All fees will be on a single eBay invoice – this will include payment fees
  • Those who take part in the Beta will get special discounted pricing for early opt in
  • eBay will automatically update all existing listings to add eBay Payments as the default payment option
  • Dom
    3 weeks ago

Sellers will have to be careful they don’t still have a PayPal Working Capital balance to pay off when they switch.

• 3 weeks ago

Can I get a link to start selling with it now

• 3 weeks ago

“We’re already hearing from eBay users who say they don’t want their payment credentials store by eBay as they don’t trust them but that’s a bit of an alarmist attitude to have”

Did you not see the story about BA customers’ details being hacked, Chris?

I wouldn’t recommend storing card details on any site, ever!

Better to enter them each time than be hacked.

• Jonah
    2 weeks ago

Well we use Paypal working capital frequently- cheaper than our overdraft and very easy to apply for. Where will we stand?
    If Paypal are kicked from the ebay platform- will all those buyers apply for an Adyen account? Its a bit like those who disappear at checkout- I would think a sizeable chunk will just shrug their shoulders and disappear.
    Ebay are in real danger of hemorrhaging buyers at just the wrong time.

• 2 weeks ago

A very important point Jonah, one I’d overlooked to be honest.

We also use PayPal working capital and its a key part of our business as we strive for growth. We’ve had north of £160k from them so far, it’s almost impossible to get that from the bank.

The T’s&C’s from PayPal working capital state:

‘With PayPal Working Capital, you can use any platform to sell – as long as you process your sales through PayPal.’

Thats clearly a problem if we’re forced to use Ayden as we’re likely to have warehouse full of stock paid for with PayPal Working Capital funds.

• 2 weeks ago

@Dave It would be interesting to hear what Paypal have to say about it, although I am unsure how those rules can be enforceable as it is not possible to take Paypal on Amazon.

I thought that Paypal was still going to be used on eBay once Ayden had been fully rolled out, it was just not available during the testing stage.

• Alex
    2 weeks ago

I find PayPal customer services staff really helpful and professional. Ebay on the other hand, are rude, lack knowledge and appear just to want to rush you off the phone as quickly as possible. If the same staff were given payment queries for me it would be a big concern.

• alan paterson
      2 weeks ago

I have always found ebay to be as professional as PayPal. Remember, they WERE the same company and part of ebay and PayPal were run out the same building in Ireland.

I cannot differentiate between the two regarding their professionalism and knowledge. both have high standards and I have never found ebay to be “rude” although I am sure a lot of sellers are rude to them.

• FD
      2 weeks ago

As with any service organisation, the level of service you’ll receive from eBay’s CS staff will vary; from those who are knowledgable, to those that aren’t; from those who want to help, to those that don’t.

Our experience with eBay and PayPal has been much the same as yours @Alex.

What perhaps makes a big difference is that we need little support from PayPal; everything tends to run smoothly. Whereas, with eBay, it’s one issue after another; from rogue buyers, to detrimental changes eBay bring in and hiccups in their system.

• 2 weeks ago

Hey is there a way to start using it to sell I’m tired of PayPal trouble

• Mike
      2 weeks ago

Out of the two, I’ve always found PayPal to be helpful and fair. I cannot say the same about eBay.

• Harvey
    2 weeks ago

eBay are just trying to get all the commission, they want their market place fee, payment fee and postal commission too.

From what I am reading Alibaba are looking to move some of their operations to Europe. I would imagine that may have some impact on eBay and Amazon as far as Chinese sellers are concerned. Maybe that is why ebay are trying to get as much money out of each transaction they can if their seller numbers are predicted to fall.

• Matt
    2 weeks ago

I am looking forward to this being implemented. PayPal have abused their size for a long time and eBay will be a lot better off being able to offer ways to pay without them. This is going to make a big difference for eBay being able to compete with Amazon. In 5 years time, I do not see a need for PayPal.

• 2 weeks ago

Does anyone know a way to start using it already or a link or something

• 2 weeks ago

Not offering Paypal straight away seems such an own goal. It is so ingrained in how people buy and sell on Ebay, the churn of customers could be more than Ebay are expecting.

• SAM
    2 weeks ago

Hmmmm not offering PayPal is silly, changing merchants perceptions is one thing, but eBay has a very poor rep and customers like the PayPal safety net and changing their perceptions is a lot harder. We certainly would like all options.

Did not think about the fact that PayPal proceeds would not hit our account, it is like that on other markets goes direct into the markets account. Effects cashflow a bit.

Anyway by the time it all happens I doubt eBay will be much of a player anymore anyway.

• 2 weeks ago

Has the processing fee cost been decided yet?

Ayden currently charge €0.10 pert transaction v Paypal £0.20

Ayden payment fee is shown as Interchange++ (average total 0.90% – 1.10%) so a lot lower than PayPal

• Please where is a link to use it already

• Toby
    2 weeks ago

So we have no choice but to accept ebay deciding that payments will be made to us once a day… 2 points here.
    1, We prefer banking money once a week, it’s just easier for us when it comes to dealing with out banking, rather than a constant stream of transactions going into our bank. Not a huge issue in itself, but we get charged each time we make a deposit…. so i would rather have 1 a week than 7. Esp during quiet times when very little goes in each day.
    2, We always keep a certain amount of cash in our paypal acc’ to do things such as refund a customer etc. If we have no funds in it then often it delays the refund. So if ebay constantly empty our arden account then will it delay any refund that we may decide to give our of our own choice rather than an ebay forced one?

On a slightly divergent note…. we use our paypal balance to fund other online purchases… it just keeps it simple, now that ebay will be interferring in our paypal account, this again just makes things more complex than they need to be.
    Why can’t ebay just add pp as a secondary payment system and leave our pp accounts alone. In fact, i would be interested in seeing the relevent piece of law that enables them to interfere with my paypal account? I bet they force you to set up a new one with special rules… so thats more paper work when it comes to dealing with accounting. Call me paraniod but i think this is mkore about ebay wanting to be able to keepa free hand at refunding every scammer there is without any issues just accessing your money!

Too many questions and as normal, too few answers.

• 2 weeks ago

@Toby Beware Fake News

Is that a fact about daily payments? I know this has been mentioned before but not sure if it is a factual thing or not.

If it is, what about if we open an Ayden account, would the money not just sit in there or be paid to that account, so not to incur extra fees.

What about a payment direct to your Paypal account? Would this not be possible?

Like you we often use Paypal to fund our business payments so it is easier for us to keep a certain amount of funds in the account.

I believe eBay will be using Paypal as a secondary payment option, which could be what more people choose, so eBay is likely to try and make it difficult or what was the point of switching.

As you say, too many questions and not enough answers, but this forum is not eBay, so maybe asking the wrong people.

I would have thought that Tamebay would have some connection to eBya that would allow them to access a high level staff member who they could put these questions too and get answers on our behalf, if not maybe questions on the eBay forums?

• 2 weeks ago

PayPal is good but not for high volume sellers…..they had my account suspended for no just reason, I couldn’t continue selling on eBay because of it , so I need to start again …..does anybody know how to start using adyen

• David
      2 weeks ago

Like you Michael Paypal, simmarily, I have placed me in an account limitation which has stopped me selling and buying on eBay, which has not gone unnoticed by eBay. I would advise others to beware. I don’t know why either, but the excessive heavy treatment I feel sure has been affected by the separation of these two companies. There does not seem to be an announcement forthcoming from eBay but the sooner Adyen start the better. If anyone can shed any helpful light please advise.

• 2 weeks ago

@Michael & David – It does not make sense for Paypal to make life difficult for sellers using Paypal just because they are splitting with eBay, they make money out of people using their service.

Why would they want to stop making money? Unless there was a bigger issue with the accounts?

• 2 weeks ago

Yes I agree with you David ,PayPal has treated sellers unfairly also, I just need to know how to start using adyen payment immediately

• David
      2 weeks ago

I spoke with customer services at eBay and have had mixed messages with Q4 start (1st October 2018) mentioned but this was only one person, there are more saying don’t know. We are not the only ones by far but it makes it difficult to plan ahead with eBay at the moment.

• 2 weeks ago

I got a message on eBay community that they invited some people to join the adyen payment, I hope I also get invited

• Darren
      2 weeks ago

Why? You realise during the testing they will not accept PayPal, as a result all your customers who are used to paying using PayPal are going to wonder what is happening when they are asked for their card details.

How many customers are going to bail when they see that because it hasn’t been explained to them by ebay?

• james
      2 weeks ago

my dad won’t buy anything online that doesn’t accept paypal. won’t even trust amazon.
      as far as he’s concerned, paypal=safe , everything else=nigerian prince.
      don’t matter how many times we explain to him, he ain’t buying if you don’t take paypal.

• David
    2 weeks ago

That makes two of us! can you request it?