eBay Community Mentors Program launches in the US

By Chris Dawson July 24, 2018 - 1:23 pm

Are you an eBay expert seller and do you already actively participate on the eBay.com eBay discussion boards giving help and advice to other sellers for free? If so, then eBay would like to invite you to join a new eBay Community Mentors Program.

eBay know that their army of sellers help and advise each other for free, so the eBay Community Mentors Program isn’t really anything new but simply recognition of the countless hours their member put in assisting each other. Naturally it comes with benefits for mentors, including some direct access to eBay and a badge on your eBay community profile.

Perhaps the most valuable benefit is direct access to the eBay community team including a monthly video chat. That’s a perk not too many people get to receive and well worth taking advantage of.

Is this yet more eBay cost cutting?

Some will say that this is eBay cost cutting and getting sellers to do the work that eBay Customer Support should be doing. They would be wrong however. Any eBay seller who has been around a few years will know that the best support and most knowledge about the practicalities of selling on eBay comes from the seller community themselves. Sure if there is a site glitch then the only people that can escalate that are eBay Customer Support, but if you need some intricate selling advice then your fellow sellers are generally much better positioned to answer.

All eBay are really doing with their Community Mentors Program is recognising the support already being given and offering to reward those sellers who tirelessly help their peers.

eBay Community Mentors Program benefits

As a member of the eBay Community Mentors Program you’ll get the following perks:

• Access to a private Mentor’s Lounge where you can connect with peers
  • Direct access to eBay’s Community team, including monthly video chats
  • Opportunity to shape new features for the Community
  • An exclusive badge on your Community profile
  • Invitations to exclusive events and opportunities

How to qualify for the eBay Community Mentors Program

Mentors are selected based on their eBay knowledge and their positive Community participation. To be considered, you’ll need to meet all of the following:

• Active eBay buyer or seller
  • Post using your eBay trading ID
  • Posted more than 500 times in the Community
  • Active Community participant for more than 6 months
  • Willingness to mentor others

You can apply to be a member of the eBay Community Mentors Program on the US eBay discussion boards.

• northumbrian

cor wow a badge
    bet its of a big brown nose

• 5 months ago

I couldn’t possibly comment…. mainly because having browsed the numerous badges that are awarded on the eBay US Discussion Boards I couldn’t find a single eBay Community Mentors Program member that had the new badge.

Maybe they’re still designing it and will take your suggestion into account…. although I suspect not 😉

• northumbrian
    5 months ago

ok were being flippant above
    but ebays taking the piddle
    hows about some listing fee discount or shop subscription credit
    were expert sellers
    that expertise has cost us many years of time and expense,
    ebay offering a badge and a chat for our knowledge is insulting

• alan paterson
    5 months ago

Personally I like badges ……… I applaud this initiative.

I still cherish my “Blue Peter” badge and also my “Desperate Dan Pie Eaters” Badge from 1977.

Badges are cool.

• 5 months ago

If it really was a badge…. but it’s just an icon so don’t get to excited ha ha

• alan paterson

Disappointing. However………..

I will copy, paste, enlarge and print out this icon and glue it to my shirt.

I WANT A BADGE

• Jonah
    5 months ago

As with most eBay sellers, I have better and far more important things to do with my time….. Like jumping through their never ending list of hoops for one.

• alan paterson
      5 months ago

@ Jonah ……. nothing like a bit of networking with fellow sellers. even if you are the “mentor” you are always learning something and remember ……. these “mentors” are offering to help you with your business – so it works both ways. Cliche – what goes around comes around is almost always true.

I will make a badge for you?

• Northumbrian
    5 months ago

Reminiscent of the print and colour your own ebay birthday card ebay used to offer

• Northumbrian
    5 months ago

The best business advice we were ever given
    Was
    Even if your standing under big ben dont tell anyone the time

• alan paterson
      5 months ago

Old conventional business strategies often do not apply in 2018 especially when we are all on a communal platform and have a vested interest in the same traffic – ebay traffic.

your customers are my potential customers and visa versa. we should all be helping each other. if you think ebay is lacking in their support (I dont agree) …… solve it by supporting each other.

By helping other sellers with their problems I have learned to avoid similar problems in my business.

The fundamental concept of networking and this programme should not be underestimated.

” Even if your standing under big ben dont tell anyone the time ” you said.

no, give them a cheap watch – then they can tell the time themselves – they are available on ebay for under £1.

• northumbrian
    5 months ago

ok then if you really want to help
    we need to know where you source your stock , where it sells best, and the most profitable line

• alan paterson
      5 months ago

lol, you are mistaken again. That is not what you need to know to have a successful business on ebay. You see, I know what you need to know – you dont get to tell me – thats not how it works (and I thought I was arrogant). 🙂

And yes, I have shared my business plan, stock souring and all with other potential sellers. Some of these sellers have then went onto surpass my turnover in my category, but its not about that …….. thats NOT stage one.

I will tell you stage ONE for free. and this is what you need to know.

Stage 1 is Paradigm Shift .

• Alan Paterson
    5 months ago

all other advice is free once you complete stage 1. Once you have completed first 5 stages you are welcome to know all the information about stock sourcing etc but depending on your particular goals, current commitments, funding, space, family commitments age, health etc etc my particular model may not be suitable for you.

If I were to do it again I would not be selling what I am currently selling. There are better mark ups with fewer returns and (to cut a long story short) better business models (without going into the many many variables) out there (depending what your goals are – not everyones is net profit – its the time you need to invest to achieve that net profit etc etc etc).

Too in-depth for a post.

• northumbrian
      5 months ago

why the waffle just cough up the info
      we will decide if its useful your being very unhelpful
      you could be debadged at this rate

• Northumbrian
      5 months ago

never mind this networking bollocks we cant spend networking
      If truth was told networking is about self gain hoping to learn without tipping the wink to competitors wd dont delude ourselves
      This is business were about not charitable works or religion

• Jonah

@alan Paterson
    I don’t mind a bit of networking Alan, I find it beneficial for all parties concerned. However sadly I’m too busy managing my eBay buyer remorse “not as described” and empty box returns, too busy trying to get an antiquated messaging system to work, too busy trying to find a help page that doesn’t exist, too busy trying to work out the peer to peer returns metric, too busy trying to operate a system so full of bugs that it’s not fit for purpose. Get my drift?
    And as to a badge, please feel free to make one but I wouldn’t really feel like telling you where I would actually like you to mount it. 😉

• alan paterson
      5 months ago

I do have to agree with you Jonah. The peer to peer metrics are not popular with me either and I have already spent a considerable amount of time figuring it out and collecting info from ebay (who have been very helpful, patient and “sympathetic’ towards my gripes).

I will form your badge in a suitable suppository shape.

• SAM
    5 months ago

Would not post with our actual selling I D as it is the same our website and other markets, and the eBay forums are all online and searchable, basically we want our products found hopefully on our site, and not links to ebay boards.
    Plus this is much like the same thing Amazon do with Aces Tec on their board’s.
    There is a wealth of Info out there some very good some downright awful.

• Rosie
    5 months ago

I do love Northumbrian’s comments , always succinct and to the point ,always makes me laugh too and I dont often laugh doing Ebay.

• Ross k
    5 months ago

@ Northumbrian , you have missed the whole concept of this new programme – networking with fellow sellers. Do you even know what a community is?

But as you said in your post further up page you wouldn’t give your fellow businessman the time if you were standing under Big Ben!

What a stinking foul attitude.
    @paterson – don’t give this guy the time of day. He has completely missed the point and will exploit you. Don’t tell him anything.

• Rosie

Ross k ,oh dear………………….

• alan paterson
      5 months ago

@ Rosie, my sentiments exactly.

@ Ross, dont you think when we are trying to promote networking it is ironic that you are telling me not to network?

However, dont worry. I wouldn’t commit to someone who is so obviously against the concept of networking and community spirit and the concept of paying it forward. My category is one of the most challenging on ebay – especially given the new peer to peer metrics. As you know I openly discuss my business plan but it would be like giving a child a loaded gun lol.

Anyway, lets hope the mentors programme is successful.

Its funny to constantly be reminded that many sellers think the “make or break” of a business is where to source their product and what the markup is. Not to mention all that info is already available on the platform and a sellers “completed” listings.