Royal Mail Click & Drop down for the whole day

By Chris Dawson June 25, 2018 - 4:01 pm

Royal Mail Click & Drop has been down since this morning, leaving thousands of businesses unable to despatch their mail. Marketplace businesses are already seriously concerned about late shipments impacting their seller metrics due to their inability to ship on time.

At 9.22 this morning, Royal Mail said that they had identified an issue which is affecting page loading times and the speed of order imports for some of their customers. Engineers were working to correct the issue as quickly as possible.

At 13.27 the latest update was posted informing customers that Royal Mail teams are still working to fully resolve these issues. Unfortunately, Royal Mail deeply regret that they do not yet have a timescale to offer on a fix.

Currently then, you may be lucky and be able to get pages to load, or you may still be stuck trying. If you can divert some of the heavier goods via a courier it may be worthwhile doing so, but for lightweight items there really isn’t much of an alternative to Royal Mail. The other alternative is of course a trip to the Post Office and face the queues which may be longer than normal this afternoon.

Royal Mail will be posting updates on their website as they come in, but the chances are high that you’re not going to make today’s post.

We’ll be waiting to see if eBay or Amazon announce any leniency for sellers who have been unable to post sales from over the weekend.

At 17.14 Royal Mail said “While we are seeing the site return to normal service we are aware that some customers are still experience some issues. We are continuing to monitor the situation and will keep you updated as we know more.”

At 22.09 this evening Royal Mail posted an update saying that they are continuing to work with their partners to investigate the problems some customers encountered with Click & Drop today. They are treating this as their highest priority and ensuring all recommendations are implemented immediately to ensure the system performance is restored to the levels their customers expect.

Royal Mail statement

“Royal Mail is very sorry that an intermittent technical fault has been impacting a number of Click & Drop customers throughout the day. We apologise for any inconvenience caused to impacted customers, and we are working hard to restore normal service as quickly as possible.”
– A spokesperson for Royal Mail

• Deeky
    3 months ago

Really pathetic of Royal Mail not to have a backup system in place, tried all day to generate labels but only the dispatch notes generated.

• Alun Jenkins
    3 months ago

Nearly 200 orders have not shipped today. Cannot wait for the complaints…

• Jonah
    3 months ago

Good Old Royal Snail at it again. The only service we use of theirs now (at our customers request ) is special delivery and that’s well overpriced.

• Darren
    3 months ago

This is not unusual, Meltdown Monday is a regular feature of Click & Drop.

• Simon E
    3 months ago

I managed to ship but using my old ways with OBA, which you can sort of use with their emergency form.
    Trouble is that there is no delivery confirmation at all, of course.
    I was told that it wasn’t actually RM that created the problem, but one of their partners who made a change.

I don’t really see it myself but as with so many things, never have all your eggs in one basket and try to have a backup plan.

Luckily I managed to find some old 1st class PPI labels and will have to work on my backup as they didn’t print when they should have.
    Ahhhh the fun.

• Alan Paterson
    3 months ago

@ Darren, “meltdown Monday” thats a good name for it.

Yes this has happened to us EVERY Monday since we started using Click and Drop last November. The system slows up as the day goes on until we are waiting up to 10 mins for 1 label to become “printable”. We were told we could no longer use the old RM system so when Click and Drop doesn’t work we have no back up other than Hermes – but Hermes isn’t always suitable for our packets / locations.

Today 25th June has been far the worse day since we started using Click and Drop. We were able to get 1 label printed today since 10am this morning. I only hope that ebay will protect us from the late delivery defects we will no doubt accumulate. I have tried to minimise the problem by trying to put as many packets as possible through Hermes but with their earlier collection it was not logistically possible to get everything through.

Not happy with RM. This has been going on for months but today has been by far the worst “meltdown Monday”.

• 3 months ago

@Alan – Not sure why you should have problems normally, I have been using C&D for the last year with very few problems, even through the Black Friday – Christmas period.

I find clearing the cache on the web browser can help speed it up

Do you let the system create the postage for each order or do you do it manually, I do mine manually but am going to try the automated system to speed up the process.

I print all the labels in bulk first thing in the morning, then do the sales for that day in the afternoon.

• alan paterson
      3 months ago

@ Tyler. with the exception of “meltdown Monday” our problems have been created by not doing the labels early enough. We have observed that the later in the day we try to print labels – the more difficult it becomes to print / process labels.

You said you do your labels early – we should do the same. almost without exception if we tried to print out labels at 3:30 pm it was taking 10 mins to process and print just 1 label.

I presume its because most RM accounts are doing their manifests at this time on a Monday. Thats my theory anyway but it has been a problem (only on Mondays) since November.

The solution would appear to be simple – I should start earlier in the morning. 🙂

• 3 months ago

@Alan Paterson Although I do most of the labels in the morning I always do an afternoon run of labels that have come in that day.

Although there are not as many, 20-30, I still have not experienced the problems you are talking about, 10 minutes to print one label, barring on “Meltdown Monday”.

• northumbrian
    3 months ago

@ alan funny how royalmail are in meltdown
    yet ebay are beyond reproach , its ebay users at fault

• alan paterson
      3 months ago

@ northumbrian, thats ridiculous comment – how on earth can it be ebay users at fault.?! and whats this got to do with ebay?

this is all packets through Royal Mail that were effected – regardless of the selling platform. Your posts just don’t make any sense and you take every opportunity to get your negative in about ebay – regardless of the topic of the thread.

• Ross
      3 months ago

@ alan Paterson. You really do make me laugh – Northumbrian was being sarcastic . I thought I would point that out, I know you don’t do sarcasm.

• northumbrian
      3 months ago

indeed we were sarcastically pointing out your ridiculous attitude.
      though this royal mail problem does highlight ebays premium service
      inflexibility

• alan paterson
      3 months ago

@ northumbrian. my attitude is ridiculous? your the one that persistently and consistently trashes ebay yet you have been selling on the platform for what …… 2 decades? and you think its my attitude that is ridiculous ? Thats funny ………. I presume that was an attempt at sarcasm again. Another “ridiculous” attitude is saying the opposite from what you actually mean………

express yourself correctly man and people may follow your posts better (and perhaps respect your point)

• northumbrian

get some help mate
      ebay does not love you

• Ross
      3 months ago

@ Northumbrian , paterson has a good point. I believe one of the purposes of tamebay is to allow committed sellers to network with each other. Although this is happening sometimes the overwhelming themes of posts is negatively and hatred directed at Ebay. I do find Paterson’s posts refreshing and you calling him “rediculous” because he is positive about his business model is quite frankly ….. well, rediculous lol . Moaning as you do about the platform in numerous posts and then still selling on the platform after so many years – that’s questionable. And seeing your post below “Ebay does not love you” – what does that achieve ? I much prefer the positive posts about the platform rather then read your drivel that seems to just want to suck the life / fun “love” (your words not mine ) out of the endeavour. Is the main aim not to simply make some money? is this not easier to accomplish if a positive approach is adopted ? Truth be told I know Paterson – he helped me with my business a couple of year ago. I met him on here – tamebay. If it were not for him and his “fresh” and overwhelmingly analytical approach to my business I would no longer be selling on eBay. I stay nearly 300 miles from him and he traveled to me and helped me free of charge. My business has seen a massive growth since. You may think that Ebay is this evil empire but I don’t believe you have the right of trying to persuade others of same. The first thing Paterson drummed into my head is you need a positive approach to your business. If you are selling on Ebay then Ebay is part of your business . Take it from me – the wrong approach DOES hold you back .

• 3 months ago

@Ross I have a lot of respect for Alan and believe he does make some valid points. Northumbrian, on the other hand calls into question Alan’s persistent “eBay can do no wrong” attitude.

There is quite a lot wrong with eBay but then that can also be said about Amazon, the benefit of Amazon, to me, is that I sell 3/4 times more than on eBay. But they both have faults.

I do ok on eBay, so stick with it, I would not say that I am negative but I don’t see how being negative about a platform that is clearly not functioning as it should, is going to effect my business.

In the above incident, caused by Royal Mail, many people, including Alan, were unable to post the mail from the weekend. It could only be worse if it was on a day following a bank holiday w/end, imagine if it happened on the Tuesday after Easter?

I was lucky to get all mine out on time.

So, how have eBay dealt with it? For some people the amount they sell over the w/end may be over 50% of their weekly sales and this could really hit their performance.

• Northumbrian

Ross
      Out of interest what is your turn over in ebay?
      if its greater than our half a million per annum
      We will listen to your advice

• Northumbrian

Ross
      We dont need to travel
      300 miles to give you sound business advice
      You and me and every other seller are nothing to ebay they have more sellers than they need

• Ross
      3 months ago

Yes my turnover is over £500k but only just. Combined with our web site and amazon we are in excess of £1 million.

However that’s irrelevant – it’s net profit that’s important and that’s where paterson came in. With respect to the journey he made – I thought the same and also a little odd that someone would offer to travel for. no financial reward. However, when I saw how he approaches the task i realised the journey was necessary . He knew more about my business than me and my wife within the first day. He needed to be there. For example ,he rearranged my dispatch area so that the distance we had to walk to the shelf was proportional to the frequency of sales. Just one example. You can’t do that sort of stuff over the phone.

I would not judge sellers and their value based on their turnover. I believe my turnover is far higher than Patersons . I didn’t say you should be listening to me , I dont think I’m the one you should be listening to

• Northumbrian
      3 months ago

hail patterson the prophet of ebay

• 3 months ago

@ Northumbrian Some people help others in business, I did the same as Alan has done nearly 25 years ago, I went to Leeds to help a guy out, we became very good friends after that and help each other out many times over the years. Sadly, he has passed away since then, he was a great guy to know and we had some great times together.

I have also traveled through Europe with others that I have met, in the same way, and had many dubious nights out with those people, “Lost In Berlin” was one of them.

You may have a great business, but what type of person are you really? You don’t come across as that pleasant…

But what ever works for you!

• northumbrian
      3 months ago

The cult even has self congratulating sanctmonius
      Disciples

• Mark
    3 months ago

We managed to slowly gt 1 label at a time but only got about a 3rd of our shipments done and labelled. Then we could not print a manifest for the driver.

Our issue is when we shipped 32 items as large letter at an average weight of 132 grams but we had 73 more sate here at lower weights we will now be charged at 250 gram average on all those items as we could not get all sorted and therefore lower the average below the 100 gram. We had to work through the orders as oldest first to save negatives and late delivery issues.

Cannot believe that in 4 years on DMO it totally failed four times yet in just 5 weeks of Click and drop it has already failed 3 times.
    So much for faster better all singing all dancing.

All rubbish more like.

• Darren
      3 months ago

When the drive ticks the box that says ‘no paperwork’ you will get a charge on your monthly invoice for not presenting paperwork with your post. I would suggest when the invoice comes through you challenge that charge.

• 3 months ago

What a mess, this where the RM need to have backups in place before paying out dividends to shareholders.
    We have a feeling that some of the labels were getting mixed up, my despatch manager guy came to me at the end of the day saying he had a bad feeling about the labels he did manage to get out of C&D.

• 3 months ago

Well that was fun….

Managed to get 120+ orders out and manifested using 3 computers and 9 different browsers.

Took me all day rather than an hour.

I was also able to drop the mail sacks into the back of the local delivery office to catch the last lorry at 7.30pm and had a well deserved pint after.

As a small business this was frustrating and with plans to expand my business to 2-4x what we are currently doing I would have been tearing my hair out, if I had any….

I have been using C&D for a year now, overall I have had very few problems, lets hope that RM learn from this.

• David Wright
    3 months ago

We managed to get quarter of what we needed to yesterday (25th), only to get stuck in a traffic jam after an accident that closed the road, arrived half an hour after the sorting office was shut, but luckily managed to get them to take them of me!

I read somewhere it was a Microsoft issue, I bet that means it was a Windows Update that started automatically ( it happens all the time on servers!).

• Gillian
    3 months ago

I must have missed it, I printed out all labels at 11.15pm and all were sent out.

Tamebay Guide

Welcome to our Tamebay Guide. Companies listed in the directory represent the leading suppliers in the UK and Europe.
Royal Mail is the UK's most trusted letters and parcels delivery