Sellers still being banned for contact details in eBay messages

By Chris Dawson October 8, 2017 - 5:38 pm

We’re still receiving emails at Tamebay HQ about sellers being suspended for sharing contact details in eBay messages, even if it’s the buyer that sent their number.

The latest is a seller of sofas, frankly the type of purchase that you might want to examine the goods before you order. No amount of description can tell you just how comfortable (or uncomfortable!) a new sofa might be and images can’t show you how soft the leather is, how well stuffed the cushions are, or whether the arm rests are soft or hard enough for your preference. A relatively expensive purchase that you’re going to have to live with for many years deserves a bit of consideration.

Our seller, a 13 year eBay veteran, received a suspension for giving out his phone number in an eBay Best Offer to a buyer who wanted to discuss collecting the same day. Two weeks later another buyer had the audacity to send our seller their phone number through eBay messages and they received an indefinite ban. It’s worth nothing the seller didn’t ask for their phone number or in any way indicate they buyer should send it.

eBay have reinstated our seller’s account, but they’re on a final warning and have told the seller if any buyer sends their contact details through eBay messages prior to a purchase being made that the seller will be kicked off eBay forever.

It’s a bit of a ridiculous situation where a buyer can send their contact details and get a seller suspended. There’s just no way that a seller has any control of this situation. This is the part of eBay’s new enforcement policy I have most issue with – a seller can at least decide what information to send buyers but there is no way that they can prevent a buyer sending an unsolicited phone number so why are eBay suspending sellers when this happens?

We know all the arguments about keeping buyers safe and preventing them from getting ripped off when purchasing outside the safely of the eBay Buyer guarantee and PayPal protection. We’re also pretty sure that some sellers would take deals direct once a buyer was in their showroom. A happy buyer and no fees for eBay isn’t really the problem eBay are trying to solve, although doubtless they’d prefer to get their commission. The reality is however that eBay are fed up to the back teeth with stories in the press about buyers being tempted off eBay and then losing their money and the only way they can stamp this out is prevent buyers and sellers exchanging details.

Would you be happy to buy a sofa without seeing it and sitting on it first? Certainly many thousands of people do purchase sight unseen sofas on eBay, but I guess the message eBay are giving out is if you want to try before you buy then eBay is not the place for you to go shopping on.

• Whirly
    2 months ago

I had a customer from Malta enquire about shipping costs for a jacuzzi the other day. I asked Concierge how to respond as we need an address to provide a quote.

They told me to ask the buyer to order it but not pay so we could see the buyers address.

Farcical.

• 2 months ago

And do you get feedback protection if they don’t like the courier shipping costs? Do they have to pay before you can talk to them in which case how do they pay the shipping? Is this really 2017 or are we back in 1999?

• Whirly
    2 months ago

Not sure, too frustrated with the reply to bother asking.

• Sam
    2 months ago

Has nobody from the eBay higher ups realized how stupid this policy is?

Personally I think they owe an apology to all sellers caught up in this, and some heads should be rolling in their policy departments as to how a policy with so many flaws can be so rigorously policed without either suitable communication to sellers beforehand, nor a facility in place to help them manage their communication needs and the needs of their customers.

Not only that but buyers need to also be made clearly aware of this. We get buyers sending their phone numbers etc, and we just ignore them now and just end up looking rude.

• 2 months ago

CS us Dublin are lost on how to answer these questions.
    We lost a £500 sale recently because we were 3 messages into dealing with a complicated enquiry about an item that a customer wanted to retro-fit to a car that they weren’t designed (or listed for) and then they sent a message saying ‘Can I call in at your warehouse and try them on my car before buying, my phone number is **** *** ******’ so we stopped communicating with the potential customer. I called CS and they read the messages and said they weren’t sure if we should respond so we didn’t.
    They buyer messaged two days later and said that because we ignored them, they bought elsewhere.
    I suggested to CS that eBay ought to implement an additional drop-down answer box that says something like ‘I’m sorry, we can’t reply to that message due to it containing information that is not allowed to be discussed on the site’ like an eBay sanctioned answer that protects the seller from bans. Fell on deaf ears I think.

• Whirly
      2 months ago

It’s pretty clear Noel, if you can’t post it same day, put it in an envelope and provide tracking eBay don’t want you or your business.

We’re happy to adapt as long as it turns a profit but I must admit this year I’m finding it particularly testing.

• bryan
    2 months ago

Whatever one says to Ebay about whatever problem created by ebay policies always falls on deaf ears ! Never once in over 15 years of selling on ebay have I had a call back by a more senior person to discuss my problems and my suggestions as to how ebay can modify their rules or computer programmes.

• 2 months ago

eBay are on a slippery slope. The arrogance of their recent communications; their ever changing demands and this issue relating to not giving personal contact details, when to do so will convert the sale, suggests that they have lost sight of who they should be working with; that is to say, ‘us’ the sellers using the eBay platform. Another example worthy of ridicule are the new rules regarding ‘compliant content’. We sell sheds and garages and one of the real issues for buyers when thinking about an online purchase, is how will they install their shed; [will it be difficult; will there be problems; can they do it?] if they don’t use our installations service [which is comparatively expensive, given that sheds are easy to install if time and care is taken]. To put customers at their ease we provide videos showing how our sheds & garages are to be erected; but now, due to the new compliant content rules, we can’t show those videos and they have to be removed; and have been. As a result sales have dropped because people want and need reassuring videos to be sure that they can do the work themselves. Having spoken to eBay they say that they will be looking again at the use of videos which can be used in situations such as ours. This beggars belief. Why stop the use of them in the first place? As a result our focus has changed and we are now successfully selling on our own Shopify website. Yes we still use eBay but who knows for how long; they really have become the proverbial ‘pain in the butt’ driven by typical big corporation arrogant values. Just as with the ‘communication with clients’ issue it is all so sad and so easily avoidable.

• james
      2 months ago

they’ve removed embedded videos, there’s nothing to prevent you linking to youtube.

• eBetsy
      2 months ago

You can still post your videos; you just have to do it using HTML5.

@stephen

Hi
      Stephen, If you have ANY information in relation to WHERE this slippery slope may be found, please do share. I have a 5 gallon drum of oil on standby, ready and waiting to send ebay on it’s way.
      🙂

A once fantastic format, it’s been slowly eroded by years of rule changes, designed (IMHO) without ANY regard for either seller OR buyer, despite the rhetoric.

This, and the way eBay looks the other way when it comes to shill bidding, and out n out fraud? I believe eBay to be guilty of aiding and abetting, and let’s not forget that WHEN a shill bidder is successful, so a fraud has taken place EBAY get’s it’s cut, to the tune of 10%…the Final Value Fee.

And what of CS, & Trust and Safety?, well…I liken eBay CS & the laughably named “Trust & Safety” team to the THREE WISE MONKEYS.

• Toby
    2 months ago

Customer the other day had an issue with their spa. They asked if we could ring them as it was complex and wondered if we could talk them through identifying if the part they were looking at was the correct one. they had put their number on the message… so we have spent several days wondering if we will be banned because of this!
    I had to reply that i couldn’t call them as it was against ebay policy to exchange details. Although if i didnt help them then ebay could and proberly would see a no sale as a subsequent off ebay sale!
    Obviosuly the damage was already done so we did call and the buyer was quite simply dumbstruck by the new policy ( which they were totally unaware of.
    Sadly this policy and it’s implementation will drive more people away from ebay as they can’t be bothered to waste time wondering what is ok and what isnt when contacting. Not to mention the angry buyers when told ‘no, we can’t call you and no you can’t call us’….
    So far my only answer has been to now say that we are unable to give out our number via ebay but if they felt that the ebay messaging service was not suitable for their enquiry then they would have to search for us via social media.

• John
    2 months ago

In the fourth paragraph in the top story, it says “prior to a purchase” does this mean that it’s OK to send contact details after the purchase?

• Whirly
      2 months ago

Once you’ve been billed you can exchange any info you like John.

What you can’t do is provide great customer service before the sale, only after.

• John
    2 months ago

Cheers for that Whirly, we do personalised items and sometimes the customer wants their phone number printing on the item but they normally buy first and tell us what they want printing afterwards, so that’s quite a relief!

• 2 months ago

I have just been restricted from selling as customer asked if they could WhatsApp me a photo so I could advise them on the best fitting to use on a product they had already brought from me.

I asked them to send photo through eBay. 4 hours later suspended even though I explained that I had said send through eBay and customer had already brought through eBay and they agreed,

but they cant explain how I could do this when they had already purchased the item just wanted a little advise on the best way to fit them.

but still suspended now on 3rd day.

• james
    2 months ago

so ebay clearly CAN identify contact info in a message.

seems to me the reasonable, normal thing to do, would be to prevent the sending of that message in the first place.
    we’ve seen it before “this message appears to contain contact info and can’t be sent”.

but no, ebay will allow the message to be sent, and then blame the receiver of the message.

they really do have nothing but contempt for sellers.

• Charlie
    2 months ago

I do not get this! Am I wrong? We have to provide a customer service phone number in our “Seller Details” under “Legal Information”. It is there for all to see on a Business Seller account. I have changed all my icons, listings etc to remove email or phone numbers, but it is still obtainable by customer!!???

• Paul
      2 months ago

Spot on Charlie, you were obviously posting your message at the same time as me. Ebay are more stupid than Mr Stupid on a stupid day.

• Paul
    2 months ago

At the bottom of all my listings and probably all other sellers ebay listings is a section of info inserted by the ebay system, it’s called BUSINESS SELLER INFORMATION and gives my Company name, address, telephone number and VAT number. Surely ebay should be banning themselves for this oversight.

I agree with James above, ebay appear to have nothing but contempt for sellers. My ebay business has gone down and down in the last few years whereas my Amazon business continues to go up with exactly the same titles and descriptions for my items. Ebay are spending too much effort on things that don’t matter instead of focusing on driving traffic to our listings.

2 months ago

@ Paul. I am confused at your post. Or perhaps you are simply unaware of how big the problem is / was. How does / did circumvention of Ebay fees not matter?

• Paul
    2 months ago

Alan, ebay are banning people when at the same time they (ebay) are displaying sellers contact details on every listing. Also you can walk into any shop in the UK to examine an item and then go any and buy it at argos, another shop, or on the internet, it’s the way the world is. All businesses lose business to their competitors, even you, I certainly do, but am I whining about it?. Also, you don’t hear Amazon whining about this problem and my contact details are also clearly displayed in the details alongside my Amazon shop. I’m not saying ebay are wrong, they’re just going about it in an unjust and wrong way. I have not personally been banned yet but I do know someone who was, he was banned for a very innocent reply to a customer message and gave no specific info about his location or contact details.

• Alan Paterson
      2 months ago

I am well aware of all you have said Paul. However, we cannot ignore the fact that Ebay were loosing a mammoth amount of revenue from off-site transaction and may folk in this post are not acknowledging this. You yourself said that Ebay were spending too much time on things that don’t matter.

I will ask again:

This doesn’t matter?

If you think that the circumvention of fees doesn’t matter then you are blissfully unaware of the extent of the problem. It was like a cancer eating away at Ebay profits and something needed to be done.

Are Ebay going about it the right way? Thats not the point I was making. I was responding incredulously to your statement that it “didn’t matter”.

If sellers understood the extent of the problem maybe it would put bays§s actions in a better perspective. Playing the problem down and saying it doesn’t matter doesn’t help anyone.

If you are knowledgeable about the Ebay platform it is your responsibility to help educate folk who do not understand WHY Ebay are taking this action – extreme as it may be.

• mw

Alan…

“we cannot ignore the fact that Ebay were loosing a mammoth amount of revenue from off-site transaction” ….. How would they quantify it as mommoth without some form of off-site tracking or spying??

“you are blissfully unaware of the extent of the problem. It was like a cancer eating away at Ebay profits and something needed to be done.” …. How do you know the extent? Profit levels would be a closely guarded secret for ebay’s board only.

@ MW and Terry

– nobody knows the extent of the circumvention of fees and that is part of the “scary” thing about it. Some analysts have guessed at up to 40%. But it is and can ever only be guesswork. It also differs on the category – the car section likely to be the worst.

And thats the problem – its unquantifiable. The folk that are paid to assess this can only guess and that has an even bigger impact on shares (and also probably the reason Ebay consistently try to persuade us that they are doing this to make sure not is a better marketplace). Its the unknown that often effects share prices worse.

Accountants, risk assessors share holders HATE unquantifiable figures.

However, the evidence that it is ripe is out there. We regularly have buyers phoning us and asking to take the transaction off Ebay to get a discount. One of my neighbours who sells furniture openly admits that his is over 50%.

A customer turned up at our unit this morning asking to do a cash sale – where did he see the item? Ebay!

Its BIG and part of the problem is that they DONT know how big. It was even promoted by some sellers writing on here AND was ripe as far back as 2007 at the Ebay Universities where sellers were exchanging business cards with a verbal reminder NOT to do the transaction on Ebay – and this was at an Ebay event!

I have had many “clients” I have helped start an Ebay business and believe me , this is something I was witnessing every day. Ebay must have lost a fortune – an unquantifiable fortune!

Also, having spoke to Ebay numerous times on this topic I have been (fairly) reliable informed that the sellers this is happening too were ALREADY on some kind of watch list. This is not their first offence in other words although they may have been unaware that Ebay had picked up on similar perhaps suspicious activity in the past.

I regularly send my details through Ebay messages and nothing has happened to me. I am responding just as I always did. I am not suggesting you guys do this – I am only saying what is happening (or not happening) with me.

@ Terry I can’t argue with your other points. If that is what is happening then Ebay could certainly have approached this better. However, action was well overdue.

• Tom
      2 months ago

“Also, having spoke to Ebay numerous times on this topic I have been (fairly) reliable informed that the sellers this is happening too were ALREADY on some kind of watch list. This is not their first offence in other words although they may have been unaware that Ebay had picked up on similar perhaps suspicious activity in the past”

Now then, finally something that makes sense about all of this.

A marker on an account

I used to regularly agree discounts for direct sales through the message system, often arranging it all through there too, I knew it wasn’t OK really, but it was always the buyer who would suggest it!….. Until suddenly I received a warning, Ironically I wasn’t trying to sell outside of ebay that time but arrange one of my items to be shipped to New Zealand!

After my first warning (and from that moment on), I systematically made sure I did nothing but play by the rules but then I had another warning, then a restriction and then a ban and another ban.

Not a single time after that first warning was I trying to sell outside of ebay, it was always for buyers that wanted to view the item before buying and fortunately (or so I thought) I had included a note to say something like “yes, come see the item but you’ll have to buy through here if you want it”.
      However, the last ban was different, it took lots of phone calls and agents telling be the second ban would not be lifted. whereas prev bans/restrictions were lifted immediately with no effort from me, I thought because I was following the rules.

I’ve been told that another ban would be permanent.

I always thought it was odd that they kept doing this and to think I am on a list for previous behaviour just makes perfect sense, Its like they’ve already decided I’m banned and they’re just looking for any reason they can possibly get to pull the trigger.

• 2 months ago

I spoke with eBay on live chat (concerned by all of this) about 2 weeks ado.

I was told specifically (as I often sell used furniture) that the customer can be messaged with ANY contact details once the sale has been accepted / won / BIN pressed.
    Also that in my description I SHOULD comment that due to new ebay rules blah blah – that they should view my “Legal Business Information” if they need to speak to me about possible delivery quotes etc. this is as I can only list as “Collection Only” and state local delivery maybe possible via quotation.

So far (fingers crossed) so good but these stories DO NOT build any sort of confidence in offering the customer service I’m used to to my customers / potential customers.

eBay should look into this as a matter of urgency. That being said the 2 people I spoke to stated for record that No Sellers were being banned for this sort of thing and the press is incorrect. The one claimed to have been in a meeting that morning as so many sellers were refering to it and that in the meeting they were told to ignore it as its simply the media reporting incorrectly. All bans have been for other policy breaches….. BUNKEM

• Doris John
    2 months ago

I just had 2 lengthy Conversations with ebay Customer Service. Even when a Sale has gone through and Payment has been made, you are no longer allowed to message and ask for complete Address Details, if some Details like House Number, Street or Town is missing on the registered Address Details. I am absolutely fuming as very often Customers do not take enough Care when completing the Address Details. So basically Customer Service has ended for me. I will just cancel any order from now on if the Address is incomplete. Thank you ebay.

• james

incorrect.
      unfortunately ebay customer service are as incompetent as ebay management.

• Doris
    2 months ago

We need this Issue clarified in writing by ebay as I am not running the Risk of being suspended for doing nothing wrong.I have to be able to communicate with my Customers. I am so fed up.

2 months ago

Hi Doris, as James says above that is incorrect.

• 2 months ago

I bet Amazon are rubbing there hands over this one as buyers and sellers move across to them when they get caught up in this stupid, ridiculous situation. In the short term EBay will look at there turnover and think why has this gone down so drastically, oh that’s right we banned everybody. It must be costing them more in fee’s that are not coming in compared to off site sales that they will lose commission. They might be fed up with people being ripped of when they do sales off site but that is the customers fault for doing that in the first place. The protection is there if they want to buy on EBay otherwise you are not covered, everybody knows that.
    I think if we hear more horror stories of customers being banned we may ring EBay to find out how to turn messaging off so at least we will be safe but I can already hear the answer “sorry there is no way we can do that” which says to me as we already know that they are not bothered about the sellers on there platform. What what they will think when they have no sellers left?

• Doris
    2 months ago

To Alan…I now have spoken to 3 Customer Service Reps and all confirmed that I cannot ask a customer who purchased and paid for an item to provide me with their correct Address Details if sonething is missing. I was told, I either have to send to the incomplete Address or cancel the Order and refund. So this needs to be claryfied by ebay. I also just read that a Seller had a 7 Day Restriction put on his Account by putting an Item Number into the Message as ebay’s System thought it was a Mobile Number. I do not know who is losing the Plot, but I will ask to have my Messaging Option disabled…lol.. as it seems we are not allowed to communicate basic Details anylonger. I understand what ebay tries to achieve, but Common Sense should be used. 😥

2 months ago

I am sorry that you are having this problem Doris. Ebay unfortunately don’t always get it right – however, they do try and get it right. It is frustrating when you are consistently given wrong information. You are allowed to discuss these things once the customer has already committed to buy.

• Claire
    2 months ago

I had a conversation with eBay the other day and they said once they can confirm a transaction has completed you can discuss that sort of stuff I’ve done it this evening where someone needed to clarify the address. They said pre order chat gets flagged and they have a team who review the content and slap your wrists the robots only flag the keywords apparently.

• Whirly
    2 months ago

Had a nice welcome message from eBay myself this morning on the seller hub. It links through to.

Your account may be restricted. Keep transactions on eBay.

Not really sure why, we block or ignore any dodgy looking questions, unless it’s been done in bulk to give everyone a scare.

Sad.

Hi Whirly,

We have the link on our Seller Hub too – but we don’t have any other messages regarding Suspension. Maybe it is a scare tool. Did you have any listings affected?

• 2 months ago

Just been told it is a technical glitch by eBay customer service!

• paul
    2 months ago

well ive had this message this morning along the top of my seller hub (Some of your listings have invalid product identifiers and will not be automatically renewed) check which ones in the seller growth tab

you then click on the link and it says we dont have any?rang concierge,they have no idea why.so are my listings going to be removed when they all have valid product identifiers?honestly its one thing after another at the minute

• mark
    2 months ago

A buyer purchased a product from us nearly 11 months ago and we enclose a leaflet on how to use the product. It is a PDF and is stored on our PC. The buyer contacted us and asked if i could send the PDF to them as they had now lost it. I explained that we could not as it is a file type that does not go through ebay messages so they need to contact us via other means and we cannot tell them that but i said our details are on the item listing.
    Now 4 days later they have suspended our account claiming we are trying to transact outside of ebay.
    We spend thousands with eBay in fees and this item is £7.99 so 79p fees not once did we mention transacting and eBays policy says you can give contact details when you have transacted with a person. It does not mention any time limit. They then spouted 120 days to me on the phone and would not lift the restrictions.

I waited till after i rang a local solicitor and local trading standards then called back armed with. UK law states we have to show all contact details in a prominent position and offer them to a customer before during and after any transaction online. The solicitor i spoke to said nowhere on ebays policy does it say 120 days for the transaction to count.

I called back and after another 30 minutes arguing on the phone they agreed to lift the restriction.
    YOU CANNOT MAKE IT UP

• Whirly
    2 months ago

The bot or whatever is now picking up item numbers as potential contact numbers and giving a warning.

I’ve been told no action is required by a ‘policy expert’ but it is alarming.

• Paul
    2 months ago

I’m not sure the article is completely correct. The problem seems to be when a buyer sends you their phone number, AND you reply.

The ‘bot picks up the number in the reply and accuses the seller of sharing numbers (and you can’t delete the original information). If you don’t reply, then you won’t be accused. I personally block buyers who send information and don’t reply (and haven’t had any issues).

Sadly I had somebody in Germany enquiring about something the other day, and they sent me their German VAT registration number in the message. They didn’t get the courtesy of a reply and I had to block them.

It is, of course, madness.

• Leader of the Banned
    2 months ago

eBay’s reaction to this problem will end up costing them 100x more than the problem. Such a hard nosed short sighted reaction will slowly destroy the face of eBay starting with the nose & then the head.

Cutting off the nose to spite the face” is an expression used to describe a needlessly self-destructive over-reaction to a problem: “Don’t cut off your nose to spite your face” is a warning against acting out of pique, or against pursuing revenge in a way that would damage oneself more than the object of one’s anger

2 months ago

I don’t agree. The problem they were trying to fix was much grater. With documentaries like the ITV “The Ebay Scammers” and the enormous circumvention of Ebay fees I think it ludicrous that you think this action will cost Ebay “100 times more”.

Sellers on here are failing to understand what Ebay are trying to fix – and how big the problem actually was.

Telling Mr Wenig how to run his business – “Cutting off the nose to spite the face”.

Jeeeez – and I thought I was arrogant (sometimes).

• Steve P

@ Alan Paterson.
    I am truly gratified that somebody who seems to have the ear of Herr Wennig and or other big muckyups can find the time to post here and explain to us the inner workings of eBay policy.

2 months ago

@ Steve P. Thank you Steve P.

I accept your gratification. Thank you for putting it in writing.

• Ross K
      2 months ago

@ Steve P I had to laugh at your post. Allan Paterson is a Savant – he will take what you said 100% literally. Savants dont “get” sarcasm.

@ Allan Paterson, he doesnt mean that literally – he is being sarcastic. I laughed my socks off at your response. Keep up the good work.

• Steve P
      2 months ago

@ Ross K. Ah that makes (Im)perfect sense.
      Does he play a banjo……?

• Ross K
      2 months ago

@ Steve P. No but I am sure he could given a copy of Deliverance and a banjo. I think you need to look up Savant if that’s your comparison / chain of thought. I do take offence from your post above making fun of disability? Savants don’t function well in some areas. They are genius in others.

Alan helped me turn round my ebay business a few months ago (free of charge I may add). So admittedly I do know him .

I have never seen anything like it.

2 months ago

@ Steve P. Thank you for your message. Your attempts to “bring me down” (I get the banjo reference) will not succeed. You imply that my condition is a disadvantage. Let me assure you when it is applied to online retail and search algorithms it is certainly not a disadvantage. Your comment shows your state of mind and ignorance.

If I DID have a mental handicap you would poke fun at me?

Not a very nice man are you?

We are off topic, we should be discussing the restricted accounts, why it is happening and how to best approach the problem.

@ Ross K – thank you for the clarification. It does puzzle me to this day why folk would say the complete opposite of what they are trying to convey. Its not smart or funny and can be misinterpreted even by every day people. When discussing business and problems such as this thread is addressing it is important to be precise.

• JD

@Alan P
    Welcome to the eBay pricelist.
    I acknowledge that eBay has a problem. The problem is greater now that FEES are higher than ever, their sponsored offerings being the latest initiative responsible for that.
    I KNOW that if I want to BUY new specialist gear or something large then I will almost invariably get a better deal by not buying it on eBay. Most sellers now have other outlets where they can be found eg own website, B&M etc. I can do all of that without eBay messages. QED.
    eBay is only a good place to SELL bulk stuff that can be heavily discounted, end of line clearance, seconds, refurbished goods and one-off second hand items.
    eBay has a problem here in Europe that it doesn’t have in the US, that of needing to display Business Seller Information.

@ JD

I don’t have time to address all your points. Suffice to say I disagree with almost all.

Your specific point “Ebay is only a good place to sell bulk stuff” is simply non-sense.

None of my shops sell bulk stuff and neither do any of my past clients who are all still trading and thriving on Ebay.

Maybe have a look at what you are selling?

By “better deal” do you mean cheaper? Even if an item is more expensive on Ebay I would still prefer to purchase on Ebay for 3 reasons:

1. The protection Ebay offers on my purchase.

2. I feel it only right to support my fellow ebayer.

3. I am supporting the platform.

Many people come on here – slag off Ebay and promote not to buy on Ebay – and they have an Ebay shop! Stupidity doesn’t even cover it.

Whatever you sell on Ebay JD – I would go out my way to purchase from YOUR Ebay shop rather than buying elsewhere. I would WANT to support you and I am supporting Ebay the platform that I myself rely on. It just makes sense. A lot of folk on here are failing to see the bigger picture.

• terry

Alan,

You keep claiming that the circumvention of fees is a far bigger problem than anyone on here is acknowledging. You may be right, but given there is no information shared by E-Bay on the topic (as far as I know), how can any of us know for sure. An alternative theory is that E-Bay is perhaps under-performing against its competitors, and getting increasingly desperate to try and shore up its figures. Who knows which is true.

That aside, I haven’t seen people moaning about not being able to take transactions outside of E-Bay, but what I have seen is people who are dumbfounded by the crudeness of E-Bay’s approach to it.

I understand what E-Bay are trying to do, and have no quibble with the reason behind it. What I, and many have a problem with though is that sellers can potentially have their business destroyed because a buyer contacts them with a message containing what E-Bay deem ‘contact information’, and the seller makes the mistake of replying to it, even to politely decline.

I have always replied to messages from my customers, and long ago learned to politely refuse the occasional request for sales outside of E-Bay. Now though, I am having to ignore those messages. In the past, when I have declined the request to trade outside of E-Bay, the buyer has often made the purchase from me through E-Bay anyway. This won’t happen now because I do not answer messages that could even vaguely be construed as containing contact information.

I don’t think it is right to assume that EVERYONE who contacts a seller before purchasing is trying to get the sale off of E-Bay, that is tarring everyone with the same brush and we all know that isn’t very fair.

Ultimately, sellers are getting bans for simply rejecting offers to trade outside of E-Bay, so they are being banned for doing the RIGHT thing are they not ?

Potential buyers are now being ignored which may mean they buy from another seller, or it may mean they leave E-Bay and go and buy elsewhere. Any sort of negative experience on E-Bay, regardless of the seller or reason, impacts on the buyers view of E-Bay and their probability of coming back again. How can forcing sellers to ignore buyers possibly end well for anyone ???

In short, whilst I understand and support the issue E-Bay are trying to deal with, their approach is ham-fisted, and this is not the first occasion that E-Bay will have been accused of being ham-fisted.

2 months ago

sorry, I posted this response twice. Once to MW way up the thread (but few will see it) and again here to Terry

@ MW and Terry

Accountants, risk assessors share holders HATE unquantifiable figures.

• terry

Alan,

I don’t doubt that its a serious problem for E-Bay, and I am sure the fees lost would be material for them. I have no issue with them enforcing the policy at all. I think however that the ban (or whatever penalty it is) should be assessed against the party that initiated the request to transact outside of E-Bay (normally the buyer), unless the seller agrees to it, in which case it should be the seller AND the buyer who are penalised.

So, I think we are in full agreement Alan, I think we should both take a moment to savour this occasion !! 🙂

2 months ago

@ terry…… yes…..savouring the occasion. Very rare that I am on the same page as someone on Tamebay. I like your posts. They are calm, collective and based on facts and observations unlike some of the aggressive twits on here who seem to keep their hearts and emotions (usually anger) on their typing fingers.

• Rob
    2 months ago

It is almost impossible for ebay to stop this as business have to display they contact information. In the category and items I sell a lot of competitor run a “business” yet are not registered as a business and list as a private seller yet all their items are very similar in the fact they are new/end of like customer returns etc. Clearly buying to sell. Most likely list when they get the final value credits so pay very little fees.

Currently renovating my house also and been looking for salvage items and countless times come across adds showing 1 item for sale yet pictured and in the description they have multiple to sell. This ebat can control by enforcing the rules they have.

Sales off site will continue to happen and always will when it is law that you have to display business contact information.

• Ali
    2 months ago

Ebay have a Glitch at the moment , many account are getting “Your account may be restricted. Keep transactions on eBay.” at the top of the dashboard. On live chat that nothing to worry about, but there a glitch. Scared me :O

• Leader of the Banned

@ alan paterson
    How do you know what you say is accurate? I think it’s arrogant of you to call me arrogant for having an opinion. Sure 100x MAY be exaggerated….but only eBay know the correct figures. You are guesstimating & so am I. Unless of course you know Devon Wenig personally. Which I doubt you do. You do speak like you have a photo of him on your desk though.

2 months ago

@ Leader of the Banned. No I do not have a photo of Devin on my desk. I just think it very inappropriate for people on here to TROLL Devin when he is not on the thread to pass comment or defend himself – especially considering his position in the company.

Some of the things that have been written on this site regarding his competency and morale aptitude is atrocious.

When you quote things like “100 x” thats just throwing figures out there based on nothing. It doesn’t help anyone and I know it to be arithmetically impossible to be even close to accurate.

Yes, I have been called arrogant before, you certainly aint the first. However, I do have the blessing of finding out later that my “guesses” are usually correct.

Its one thing being arrogant and spouting figures plucked out the air (like you do) ……its quite another being arrogant and correct with figures based on real world samples.

As well as being arrogant did I say that your post was childish? Its the kind of taunts I used to see in school.

If thats the way you want to conduct yourself on here thats up to you………me however – I will just continue to be arrogant (and right) but without the slander you are so keen to dish out.

If folk are wondering what I am talking about here is a quote from Leader of the banned from his post way up the page:

OPEN QUOTE : “Hey Mr Wenig…ever heard this old saying that I was taught in school? It’s universal & has been going around since 867 ADCutting off the nose to spite the face” is an . expression used to describe a needlessly self-destructive over-reaction to a problem: “Don’t cut off your nose to spite your face” is a warning against acting out of pique, or against pursuing revenge in a way that would damage oneself more than the object of one’s anger” CLOSE QUOTE

Mmmmmmmmm………not very mature or constructive. If there is a problem lets concentrate on solving the issue without the childish mud swinging on a subject you apparently know very little about attacking someone you have not ever met.

@ alan paterson

Hey, @Leader of the Band
      This alan patterson character sounds like a member of the eBay appreciation society…a CHEERleader (apparently I “rant”, and went a bit “off topic”)
      Off topic?, sounds very much like an ebay forum moderator term to me, moderators being the “guard dogs”…the poodles of the eBay “community” forum, who have the power…to edit or remove your post, and send you ter bed without any supper for? (minutes, not days) 1440, 4320, 10080, 43200, or for good

• Leader of the Banned
    2 months ago

Has anyone noticed that eBay has moved the (contact seller) link from the bottom of the description to just under the seller ID?

For a moment I thought they had removed it completely!

• JD

@Alan P
    Thank you for taking time to respond.
    By bulk stuff I mean stuff that is normally bought in bulk by the seller (to then sell on eBay), perhaps commodity would have been a better description.
    You must be a real eBayphobe to buy on eBay when you could buy cheaper elsewhere! I will give you a case in point for a prospective upcoming purchase of a specialist item.
    Checking eBay best price £233 plus £63 postage from Japan, unspecified Customs clearance and duties to pay on top.
    Best UK seller eBay price £328, ‘free’ postage. Best UK seller net price £288, £5 postage. The latter 2 are actually from the SAME seller.
    Should/will I pay an extra £35 for the ‘privilege’ of buying on eBay?
    I don’t think so!

2 months ago

@JD, no , not in the example you gave. However, this is one of the reasons Ebay is introducing the price match.

In MOST cases Ebay are the cheapest (or joint cheapest). Obviously you can give extreme examples for any product where they are not. However, I was talking in general terms – I would rather purchase on Ebay and support the marketplace and it is this principle that most sellers are missing.

I will repeat this so that folk don’t miss my point:

• SteveP
    2 months ago

If you look at an item from a business seller on eBay Germany there is usually a huge amount of information.. Personal details, full contact inc. phone / email etc and something about an EU online dispute process.

I doubt that German sellers do this for the fun of it and have always thought it was a STRICT legal requirement.

I’m wondering if eBay have plans to remove all this, the cynic in me says no because I suspect that the Germans have a “Trading Standards” with teeth that would have no hesitation in hauling eBay straight into court.

Anybody know anything??

• Rob
    2 months ago

So many of you don’t seem to get it. Your business seller information is still there. Just ebay don’t want it splashed across every listing description you have. If you are shopping online at M&S for a shirt you don’t see there contact details in the description of every listing. Most retailers have a contact us option at the bottom of the page where you can email, phone write, live chat etc.

• 2 months ago

the problem is not that they have said no contact details in descriptions,

It is the fact ebay are suspending sellers even though it is the customers who has sent thier contact details.

I was suspended as a customer asked if they could WhatsApp me a photo so I could advise them on the best fitting to use on a product they had already brought from me 2 weeks previousley.

I asked them to send the photos through eBay.

4 hours later i was suspended even though I explained when calling Ebay CS that I had said send photos through eBay and this customer had already brought through eBay and they agreed that they had couldnt say how i could of responded any differently but I can not be reinstated as I potentially tried to take the business away from Ebay.

Ebay CS could then not explain how I could do this when the customer had already purchased the item and in the ebay message clearly asked which fitting was best to use on the furniure they wanted to fix the feet purchased from ebay and could they whatsapp photos to show which fittings they had.

So it doesnt matter if it is before which we have never done as it is not normally requested our items do not need to be inspected before purchase.

Or whether it is after purchase ebay are restricting sellers when the sellers have done absolutley nothing wrong. (although i agree it is not always the case)

It is a legal requirement for any buisiness to freely provide address and contact details when requested before, during and after any transaction, they may request details even though they have no intention of entering any contract (purchase) and also must be prominently displayed

You cant even tell customers where these details are either through messages or in the listing as this will get you suspended as well.

• Dawn
    2 months ago

It appears that buyers are receiving slapped wrists for sending contact details. My husband had an infrequent dabble on our account and inadvertently (even though I’d told him!!!) put his mobile number in as he wanted to ask a question. The message did not go through. However it turns out we are now temporarily restricted from messaging sellers. I hope that is the extent of it, as I don’t want to be ignoring my buyers! Selling account seems otherwise unaffected. Husband is in doghouse.

• kika
    2 months ago

I have been suspended from eBay indefinitely after a buyer sent me his phone number in a message!! I never asked for his phone number!

• 2 months ago

We got a warning from eBay, not a suspension. Customer wanted to call us to discuss some technical aspects of the product. I messaged to say they should just use the ebay message system and give us their questions, but the following violated eBay policy:
    Violating Text: “Our number is on our contact page”

Normally after a conversation on the phone, we tell them to click the buy button. So, in this case, no sale for us, no revenue for ebay.

How do I feel about it?

Well our Amazon business has doubled on the last 2 years, eBay is static, we are now selling more on our website now that we have revamped it. Why would anyone put time and effort into a marketplace like ebay where sellers are treated so abysmally. They are light years behind Amazon. Now with the sword of Damocles hanging over our heads, all my spare effort and budget is being put into promoting our website. With the huge upsurge in social media, there are just so many ways to sell nowdays, eBay just feels so yesterday.

It is a delicious irony that eBay feels this is the right action to take against sellers it suspects are taking sales off eBay when for years, people have been using bricks and mortar stores to view products and then go and buy on eBay. The biter, bitten.

So come on eBay, stop acting like some fascist regime, show us sellers some love and we will get behind your business.

• 1 month ago

@Alan Paterson,

You have stated (I think a couple of times via repetition/duplication), that some/alot of the sellers that have been banned, were ALREADY on a watch list? I don’t see that as particularly revealing, I see that as to be kind of expected surely?
    Ebay obviously knew who some of the problem sellers were, and have taken action.
    That’s fine. I have no problem with that.
    What I DO have a problem with, is the blanket approach they have taken, to warn/ban anyone for giving contact details BEFORE a purchase.
    And as far as sellers being banned because of buyers giving their contact info WITHOUT being prompted….. I’m sorry, but they’re completely off their rockers!
    You seem to make a lot of assumptions as to the extent of the off-ebay problem, as if you have some sort of inside knowledge that the rest of us dont?

“On another note: my estimates (guesses) are based on projections and percentages of a cross section of the small amount of clients I have dealt with and networked over the years.”

So, really, you’re just guessing and your ‘estimates’ may not turn out to be reliable at all, although……

“However, I do have the blessing of finding out later that my “guesses” are usually correct.”

Of course, it’s very easy to say on a forum like this, something like that, where you might have the pleasure of not being able to back that up with evidence.
    The fact that ebay have started this new policy isn’t necessarily evidence of anything at all (although I’m not saying that the off-ebay problem has never existed, but I am referring to the extent of it).
    It is entirely possible for large companies like ebay to make mistakes, which they appear to be making a big one now.

On a final note, I also feel that you come close to contradicting yourself somewhat, by referring to the problem as “mammoth”, and then seemingly saying that no-one knows the extent of the problem! What does the wor ‘mammoth’ mean then?

1 month ago

I would take this up with Ebay.

If you think I am contradicting myself you have been misinterpreting my posts. You can know that something is huge (“mammoth” in my words) without being able to specifically quantify its size. The reality is that my guess is often better than most sellers facts. stop trying to pick holes in my posts and take them as how they are intended – an insight as to what is happening and WHY.

• Gaz
    1 month ago

@frances knight @Dawn @kika @Geoff Mack

This issue of phone numbers is classic eBay…they can/will act a the SPEED of light, when it’s a question of possible? risk to revenue, much in the same way as they will NOT act against shill bidders/scammers.

A successful scam is worth 10% to ebay, yet it’s illegal in all cases, eBay & scammer/shill bidders.

• 1 month ago

@Alan,

“The reality is that my guess is often better than most sellers facts. ” – a seemingly arrogant comment to make, however I don’t know you, so can’t say further than that.
    It would seem that YOU may have been mis-interpreting my comments also, because I wasn’t ‘trying to pick holes’ in your posts, just pointing out what I thought was contradictory, that’s all.

“If sellers understood the extent of the problem maybe it would put bays§s actions in a better perspective.”
    Even if your right, and sellers don’t understand the extent, the way that ebay seem to have approached this (sledgehammer to crack nut springs to mind), they’ve done themselves no favours whatsoever. In fact, they may have lost some sellers because of this problem (ebay might consider this acceptable damage though, who knows?).

“I regularly send my details through Ebay messages and nothing has happened to me.” – out of interest, was that BEFORE or AFTER a sale, or both?

1 month ago

@ jrichie – yes i have been called arrogant before (perhaps not a surprise). in fact i have been accused of it many many times. I don’t take it as an insult. However, i am almost always correct – which i suppose makes me even more arrogant. 🙂

I aint on here to make friends. (I have 2 cats for company) However, i will come on and present my point of view, insight and share my knowledge (free of charge) if people want to listen.

It is important to present a “balance”, especially with so many sellers trashing the platform and lashing out with blinkers on, failing to see the big picture.

Now perhaps i don’t have all the pieces to the picture. However, one thing is for sure – i have a damn sight more than most.

Thank you for recognising my arrogance, I have been working hard on it for 15 years.

• 1 month ago

@Alan – I’m not on here to debate whether you are or aren’t correct, or whether you are or aren’t arrogant. Frankly, I am just interested to know what people are saying about ebay, that’s all!
    Everybody has the right to a view, whether they’re wildly off the mark, or spot on.
    I can’t speak about balance, but I am interested to know exactly what’s going on, and from what I see so far, it doesn’t look good. IF what people are saying is true (which it looks like), then I think some employees at ebay need to be sacked for what seems to be going on (whether they do that though….. 🙂 )
    Putting aside your (potential) arrogance, can you answer my last question please? You seem to have missed/ignored it?

• Gaz
      1 month ago

Hi J.
      You say…
      “Frankly, I am just interested to know what people are saying about ebay, that’s all!
      I can’t speak about balance, but I am interested to know exactly what’s going on, and from what I see so far, it doesn’t look good”

J, you may have noticed that SOME forum members would have you believe that eBay is so good, it may well sit on the right hand side of GOD?. Well, I don’t believe that for a second.

The facts (as I see them) are as follows.
      1, eBay is an excellent place to trade, in terms of layout, access to information, the ability to “fine tune” your requirements etc…etc. So far, so good.

2, eBay MANAGEMENT on the other hand, (the decision makers) couldn’t organize (caution now)… “An extremely good drinking session in a brewery”, and seem to have an uncanny knack of trying to fix things that aren’t broken, and in so doing, smashing them to pieces.

3, eBay will/have come down on some ebayers, like a TON of bricks, moving at the speed of light over the issue of contact details, for example…
      A prospective buyer supplies a seller with a phone number or email address, when requesting some form of clarification on the item in question, and eBay SANCTION the SELLER?.

4, Still on the subject of the SPEED upon which eBay can “act” to suspend your ability to sell/trade, eBay can/will move at the speed of an ARTHRITIC riddled three-toed sloth when it comes to dealing with scammers/shill bidders, and the reason? Oh, that’s simple. I believe it’s because eBay profits by any successful scam, to the tune of 10%, the final value fee, plus extras obviously.

5, The feedback system (such as it is) is/was rigged some years ago. I don’t care about the “why”, all I care about is that a seller hasn’t been able to leave HONEST feedback for buyers for years now, yet some buyers have been known, to, in effect “blackmail” a seller, with the threat of negative comments.

I liken the feedback system to that of a FOOTBALL match, where the buyers goal has been BRICKED-UP 🙁 I ask you, given the feedback system as is, is it any wonder so many bad buyers (only a buyer IF they pay) can maintain a perfect score?

6, The pathetic excuse for CS?. Again J, some members of this very forum would have you believe that eBay CS is anything BUT what it is, and that’s a 4 letter word, starting with C, and ending in RAP.

Then we have an even bigger waste of time & space, in eBay’s “Trust & Safety”, AKA The THREE WISE MONKEYS.

J, would you like to follow a scammer?, follow it’s auctions of Sony Laptops, as, with the help of 1 (if not both) of it’s shill bidder buddies, it “works the crowd”?. All yer gotta do is ask, and I’ll give you the 3 usernames involved…

Simply stick them in your “watchlist”, and either follow the auction to the end, or check back later, and look for the shill bidders I’ll give you?. Look also for the trademark “bid retractions”, and/or the “error in the listings” to explain why the auction had to be canceled, along with the other excuse of “item lost or damaged”, classic ( for this joker) scam tactics, and eBay not only go along with it, but obviously facilitate it.

It is my understanding that we are able to have up to 8 accounts?, if so, is it any wonder that eBay has become a scammers paradise?.

All the best.
      Gaz

1 month ago

@jrichie. I think thats what i am saying – there IS NO BALANCE on here. if you were to look at the general theme of sellers posting on Tamebay – you wouldn’t want to sell on ebay. ebay consistently get trashed and referred to as (among many things) “crooks”, “incompetent” , it is portrayed that they are unwilling to help – which i have always found exactly the opposite. its often painful to read. many of my clients wanted to sell on other platforms FIRST because of what they had read about ebay online. This just harms all our ebay businesses if sellers portray ebay in this manner.

Anyway onto your question. Yes i did intentionally avoid your question because the answer could be quite dangerous. However, here goes:

yes i have sent my details before and after the transaction has taken place on several transactions. i do not recommend that you test this. based on posts above that would be stupidity. However, i have to report that everything was fine. I can only speculate that there is perhaps a list that ebay have of sellers that they suspect have circumvented fees in the past and they are only monitoring those who they suspect? This is off course only speculation.

I would say after my “tests” and just to be on the safe side I would not do it again. I changed my mind when i read all these posts on Tamebay. Its not worth the risk, in fear of what may happen. But it did nothing when I did it and that was before and after several transactions took place. I do not want to tempt fate, so any seller reading this please do not try this at home.

1 month ago

I have spoken to ebay again about their possible “watch list”. It was implied to me in the past that this was the case. However, the person I spoke to at ebay either doesn’t know or cannot divulge that information.

I have spoken to them in the past and the presence of a “watch list” was hinted at but not confirmed. Who knows. Its certainly my guess. The folk (at least partly) to blame for this are the sellers over the years who have taken the sale off ebay. Everyone also seems to be ignoring the ITV documentary of a few months ago – scammers taking transactions off site. ebay (like any business) are only reacting to these problems.

• 1 month ago

Regarding the ITV ebay scammers show, everyone is ignoring it in relation to off site sales and fee avoidance, because it is not relevant to the issue.

While the show was scant on details, the Romanian gang would have been using classified ads to sell vehicles they didn’t have. Buy it nows or auctions would have taken the buyers down protected payment routes that those scammers needed to avoid.

Classified ads are not like other ebay listings. Ebay gets it money from the insertion fee for the classified ad alone. There are no final fees due, so none that can be avoided by taking the transaction off site. Indeed, the transaction is supposed to be completed off site, directly between the seller and buyer. Up to the bit where they were getting paid money for vehicles that didn’t exist, they weren’t doing anything wrong, or avoiding ebay fees.

1 month ago

@ Gav, you have entirely missed my point. We know how the transactions took place but that is not the concern – the concern is how the public perceives the transaction to have taken place. As you say the documentary was scant on details but the general “gist” of the documentary (especially its title) was to give the impression to the untrained eye – in this case the general viewing public – that ebay was not a safe place to purchase goods. Off course we know it is and we know how the scammers were conducting this fraud but this was not clearly explained in the documentary. The bottom line was that the documentary gave the impression that ebay was perhaps not a safe place. ebay will be reacting to this and ensuring transactions remain on site and to educate people that transactions should remain on site. It is just yet 1 more reason why they are reacting in this manner.

Often what drives change (and often the share price of companies) is not what IS happening but the PUBLIC PERCEPTION of what is happening and the two scenarios often do not go hand in hand. The documentary was biased and committed the cardinal sin of not showing how to make a safe transaction on ebay , and thus not showing the other side of the argument . It was not balanced, not balanced at all and is yet another reason why ebay are being pro-active in keeping transactions on site. Its safer.

• 1 month ago

@Alan – you’ll only get balance if you have a rough 50/50 ratio of people who both criticise and defend. Generally speaking, I tend to find that bad news travels faster than good news?! People aren’t very slow to respond to issues, people will complain very quickly if there is a problem. There often IS unsavoury language used by some, but you can hardly blame them, given that they are usually the ones with the problems.

“Yes i did intentionally avoid your question because the answer could be quite dangerous.”
    I’m not trying to be funny, but if that’s your thinking, why give an answer then, especially given that you ‘intentionally’ avoided my question?
    I don’t think your fears are really justified tbf, given that many people have already given seemingly truthful examples of their circumstances that lead to them being banned, warned etc. I think you’re just trying to be too PR/politically focused about this whole issue, but that is just my opinion (and I don’t know how popular that is?).
    I will stress again, that I have no problem with ebay keeping a ‘watch list’ of people, I would never have a problem with that, in the same way that I don’t have a problem with them banning people, where they have concrete proof of blatant examples of people trying to avoid paying ebay fees. It’s their platform, technically they should have been tracking THAT one, from day one really! If they haven’t, that’s down to their ‘shoddy’ businesses practices, and some might say ‘incompetence’?!

I wouldn’t rely too heavily on what some of the staff advise, because (from past experience) many of them clearly don’t have a clue. I would hazard a guess that you’d have to be speaking to upper management to get any REAL sense of what’s going on, and even then, they might not be entirely honest with you.

With regards to that ITV program, I’m not convinced of it’s relevance at all, with regards to this issue, in fact, I would side pretty much with what Gav has said (certainly with regards to fee avoidance). I couldn’t tell you exactly when the program was aired, but I remember it, and it wasn’t THAT long ago, and I believe these issues cropped up long before the program even aired. I even had a feeling of dejavu about the show, although I can’t remember whether it was specified to have been a brand new program or not?
    There are many many programs on TV these days that are biased, and seem to leave out certain details, don’t tell the whole story etc etc. So much so, that I feel the public in general are well used to it!

• 1 month ago

@jrichie
      Well , if alan paterson believes that
      “people reading this thread are now finding it quite boring”, and he goes on to say
      “This will be my last word on this thread”, I’d say that alan paterson can’t handle the truth. He’s convinced he’s correct in every aspect of ebay. He’s correct, and nobody else has a CLUE. Wow, that’s 1 hell of an ego trip to be on.

1 month ago

@jritchie, I can see that you are systematically trying to “pick apart” everything I write so I will enter into no more discussion. It is not constructive and I am sure people reading this thread are now finding it quite boring. This will be my last word on this thread.

Tamebay Guide

Welcome to our Tamebay Guide. Companies listed in the directory represent the leading suppliers in the UK and Europe.
Whether you are buying new or used, plain or luxurious, commonplace