eBay unveil new colourful branded eBay Packaging

By Chris Dawson October 24, 2017 - 5:33 pm

eBay UK have unveiled a brand new range of eBay packaging supplies to match their new #FillYourCartWithColour campaign. The range includes 13 boxes, 1 tape, 9 Poly Mailers, 4 Poly Bubble Mailers. Poly Bubble Mailers will be available within the next few weeks.

When the original eBay packaging first launched it was amazingly successful, due in part to eBay giving out monthly vouchers to eBay Featured and Anchor shop owners. They’re now partnering with a new experienced large eBay seller and have arranged new even more competitive pricing. The entire range has also been expanded with more sizes available.

There’s green packging too, whilst eBay plastic Bubble Mailers are more expensive than eBay paper bubble mailers, they are fully recyclable.

If you do have an eBay Featured or Anchor shop, you should receive your eBay packaging voucher on or around the 3rd of November. However they will only be valid for the new eBay packaging from the new supplier so get ready to choose which colours you’d like to order. If you miss the email with your voucher then check your eBay messages on or after the 3rd of November (and monthly thereafter) as the vouchers are only valid for a month.

• Simon Everett
    1 month ago

Lets hope it’s not the same company supplying.
    As their feedback shows

Many “Shoppers” are not happy with being forced to purchase overpriced low-quality products with an EXTREMELY limited choice.

The negatives say it all !!
    If you or I had negs like that, your backside would be black and blue from being booted off ebay so hard!

• alan paterson
      1 month ago

Hi Simon, to be fair to Switpak many of their negatives were being encouraged by ebay haters due to their supposed “affiliation” with ebay.

Sellers have been taking their anger for ebay and directed it at Swiftpak. It was “trendy” to leave them negatives and if you looked at some of the bad feedback they could be removed under policy. Swiftpak don’t seem to be concerned though.

• JD
    1 month ago

‘They’re now partnering with a new experienced large eBay seller and have arranged new even more competitive pricing’
    ‘ …………… you should receive your eBay packaging voucher on or around the 3rd of November. However they will only be valid for the new eBay packaging from the new supplier ……………..’
    So Swiftpak eBay account is toast?

Swiftpak eBay account had a terrible start and never recovered. There seemed to be a total disconnect between eBay and the Company who were presented with (apparently LOL) a ‘surprise’ number of orders arising from free vouchers all issued on the same day.
    Prices were not really competitive for the underlying products (bubblewrap for example was v v expensive) and many eBay sellers looked at what the voucher face ‘value’ would buy against supplies from their normal sources.
    FWIW I believe that the intial offering was ‘below standard’ in many aspects’.

• JoeB
    1 month ago

Even more competitive pricing? They’re more expensive than Swiftpak who were already ridiculously expensive.

The poly mailers are around 3 times the price of the average on eBay.

• Simon E
      1 month ago

Hi JoeB,
      do you have a link, as the Tamebay one doesn’t work for me and seems to be an affiliate campaign etc?

• JoeB
      1 month ago
    • Simon E
      1 month ago

Thanks Joe.
      Pretty limited, but I might be able to use those mailing bags.
      I see no bubble bags at all.

• 1 month ago

Describing the eBay packaging fiasco as a “success” is interesting wording.

For whom was it a success?
    The customers forced to use the Company Store? Swiftpak? eBay?

Overpriced monopolies and poorly run, badly stocked, Company Stores are never popular. There is a reason for that. They are designed, not as a convenience for customers, but as for the benefit of the company that profiteers from ripping off its “customers” when nobody would buy the stuff willingly.

As for people pitying Swiftpak – well, the person running the eBay/Swiftpak operation was an eBay employee (or ex-employee).

So any problems involved (we didn’t expect anyone to actually buy this rubbish/ we have run out of single rolls of tape but can sell you a gross for only £700 less your £10 voucher/we don’t count the stuff before posting it/we give false tracking numbers for out of stock goods so we don’t get defects) were not a result of too little involvement by eBay, quite the opposite.

• SAM
    1 month ago

We bought a few of the large letter boxes, they seemed ok priced. Plus we needed that sort of packing for a certain product. This bigger supplier does not seem to be VAT reg as we need an invoice???.
    We actually bought 6000 of the original D1s back last year from Swiftpack, and YES we had issues with missing boxes etc, but it got sorted. The prices went silly however, and we only sell limited now with ebay so have started using a new supplier we funnily found on a eBay Ad and which we now buy DIRECT.
    End of the day all we want is decent packing material and a decent price.
    The eBay voucher does not mean anything to us and has never been an incentive.
    I did see some of that feedback left for Swiftpack and some of that was just plain nasty to take it out on the company just because you have an issue with ebay.

• Rob
    1 month ago

Swift pack set their prices and decided to join ebay in partnership for this offer. And if you can only spend the voucher on their over priced stock which is poor quality compared to other suppliers then they deserve all the feedback they get.

ebay seem to be missing a trick here, if they were to make the packing cheaper than competitors. If they supplied it at a price people wanted to choose even without a voucher they are getting their brand out there much more. The more people see the word ebay which might be stood next to someone at the post office or drop off shop, the more people might go on ebay to make a purchase.

• SAM
      1 month ago

@Rob
      When we bought our D1 bubbles, they were doing buy one get one half price it was the best at the time. We still have a few hundred floating about, they were not exactly D1 either but they did work for us the quality was fine.
      However they blew it of course got greedy we never went back.
      I think the issue they had is they were not ready for the influx, also we got our delivery with Yodel who lost boxes and smashed the ones up we got, but I did not blame Swiftpack for that.
      The new ones have already been dispatched interlink, it was a type of mailer we were looking for a specific product it just so happens . I can get my D1 packets a lot better so I am sure it will be one off again.
      Yeah and they should be paying for their own advertising this is eBay however.

• Rob
      1 month ago

@sam
      The quality of the bags is poor compared to other mail bags I bought from Global Packing. Would go to pick the Swiftpack bags up and they were not that heavy 4-5kg and would rip.
      It is their issue if they choose a rubbish courier like Yodel, who don’t seem to care about any item that goes through their network. Have not used them in years as stuff gets damaged or had them turn up for a number of parcels and they only take 1 or 2 as they claim some were not on the list. UPS on the other had will take anything that has their label on no matter if it is drop off, pick up, collection on a different day.

I have seen on the US site that they get vouchers quarterly which I would much prefer.

• 4 weeks ago

Some of the boxes seem dear compared with plain brown. But some of the large letter size seem cheap enough, so might actually use the ebay discount voucher for the first time ever.

Still can’t see buyers wetting themselves with excitement because their order turns up in a coloured box though.

• SAM
      4 weeks ago

It was the large letter ones we got they were decent value

• eBetsy
      4 weeks ago

I am a buyer — a very frequent buyer — and I would be THRILLED to have my purchases arrive in these vivid boxes!!!

• SAM
    4 weeks ago

Well we got the packaging came DPD all good, quality seems fine VERY GREEN boxs…No VAT receipt as expected so the hassles of requesting one “So eBay” . B2B ebay simple stuff…

• Ken McDonald
    4 weeks ago

I have absolutely no problem with the supplier of the eBay packaging or with the actual product but I do have a problem with eBay adding this £10 voucher cost onto my shop fee’s and then ‘giving’ me the voucher (I only buy the 6 rolls of tape for £10.22 but I would pay less than half this price on the High Street for similar brown tape so I only buy it via eBay to use up my voucher). Reading though the suppliers feedback quite a few sellers believe that they are getting this voucher for free with one buyer writing ‘Thank you eBay, very generous of you’. Sellers that have been with eBay for some considerable time will know that eBay will give no seller anything for free and with their profits and share price down be prepared for more shop fee increases.

• Jennifer
    4 weeks ago

We sell paper items (prints etc) and, probably like many other sellers, don’t use boxes, tape, padded bags or anything else offered by either of the two voucher companies.

Not expecting a reply, I contacted the new company (ebaypackaginguk) asking if stiff board-backed ‘Do Not Bend’ envelopes could be added to their inventory and, to my surprise, quickly received a very nice reply back from Charlotte.

She asked for more details as to our requirements, saying they are looking to expand their range and would be pleased to hear from anyone, either in replies to this thread or by contacting them directly, with requests for items they would like to purchase. Sounds promising!

• eBetsy
    4 weeks ago

I am WILDLY jealous of the new eBay UK packing supplies!!!!! I hope those colorful boxes are a harbinger of things to come in the US…they are GORGEOUS.

• I am just amazed any business large or small wants to send anything out in a box plastered with EBAY, it will cost very little if anything at all to have your own name on the box, Why would you want to advertise another company??

• JD
      4 weeks ago

eBay want you to advertise eBay. I simply wanted packaging to do the job, get my stuff to the buyer safely and at the lowest price. eBay should be almost giving the ‘branded’ packaging away not charging top prices. Sure it might look nice but looking nice does not put bread on the table.
      Reminds me of all those adverts once seen on van sides … ‘Find us in yellow pages’ … yeah right, along with all of your competitors.

• alan paterson
    3 weeks ago

I think it makes sense to advertise ebay – after all, thats the platform that your customer has chosen to purchase from. I imagine that a lot of customers are buying from ebay first , the seller second.

I received my new packaging today. Its awesome. Its free (we used our voucher) and I find it ludicrous that folk above do not want to promote ebay if thats where the sale came from.

Some “misinformed” person above even said “Why would you want to advertise another company??” OMG. Some folks don’t get it do they?

The packaging is colourful, strong and excellent value for money – even more so when you include the voucher. Delivery was fast – it makes sense to promote ebay. All boxes ticked 🙂

• Northumbrian
      3 weeks ago

If we follow this theory
      we best get Google Adwords packing , our web hosting company’s And broadband providers logos on our note paper,
      eBay are one of the many who facilitate , our business they are not the business

• alan paterson
      3 weeks ago

@Northumbrian – well you might be taking it a bit far but yes – its important to support the companies that are generating income for your business. The polar opposite is what some sellers are saying above i.e. to intentionally HIDE the fact that it was purchased on Ebay by not using brand packaging. Remember the customer has made the choice to purchase on the Ebay platform so why shouldn’t it be in an Ebay box? especially when you are receiving free vouchers for the boxes.

Off course we don’t use the branded packaging if the customer has purchased from our web site or from Amazon.

• northumbrian
      3 weeks ago

if ebay want to promote their business, using our business, they should pay a fee
      much as we pay ebay a fee to promote ours,
      they have no involvement in the actual delivery or packaging process why should they have free exposure

• northumbrian
      3 weeks ago

its rubbing your nose in it when they charge you 10% on the postage element of a listing regardless of if its “free” postage or upfront,
      then expect free exposure on packaging,

the global shipping service would be an entirely different situation
      they take payment via a third party and are responsible for condition and delivery

• Simon E
    3 weeks ago

I’m still waiting for my code this month.
    Has everyone else received theirs ??

• stephen
    3 weeks ago

Just got our code for the month and noticed that its a new seller providing the packaging – seems better pricing as well…

Wonder why…

• Jonah
    3 weeks ago

We send our packages out promoting our own brand.
    Enough said.

• Ken McDonald
    3 weeks ago

@alan paterson ‘especially when you are receiving free vouchers for the boxes’. I am certainly not getting these vouchers for ‘free’ – check your shop fee’s and you will clearly see that the £10 is added as a ‘packaging voucher’.

• alan paterson
    3 weeks ago

@ Ken, you clearly don’t know the history of the shop fee increase. The vouchers were “added” as a goodwill gesture by Ebay because so many sellers were moaning and complaining and wingeing and throwing their toys about the increase.

I found it laughable a few months ago when sellers were complaining about there free vouchers.

The vouchers ARE free – the shop fee increase was happening anyway and lets face it……if sellers were having such a problem with the minuscule increase there was a problem with their business anyway.

• JD
      3 weeks ago

The majority of eBay sellers are not stupid.
      How many eBay sellers buy (as opposed to just using the ‘free’ vouchers) eBay branded packaging?

• rob
      3 weeks ago

@alanpaterson so if the vouchers are free how come we are limited to £10 and not have unlimited free mail bags and boxes. It is like when customers think postage is free. I have not come across any postal company that gives away free postage yet. Things are included in the price.

• Ken McDonald
    3 weeks ago

@alan paterson Shop fee’s clearly show a £10 charge for ‘eBay packaging voucher’ so it is certainly NOT free or it would say free or included in the shop fee but it is listed as an additional cost. Minuscule increase! Shops fee’s have almost doubled in the past few years with absolutely nothing coming my way from eBay to help me increase my sales in the 4 shops that I have with them and any increase that I gain year on year is through my hard work and I certainly will not give eBay any credit for it. You certainly seem to like defending eBay, are you in their employment or are you getting something from them that the rest of us are not?

• alan paterson
      3 weeks ago

Oh dear Ken, I was about to reply to your point but then your post lost all credibility when you became another person on here (added to a long list of persons) who has accused or implied that i am getting some reward for ebay or I am employed by ebay.

This helps illustrate my point of the negative culture against ebay on here. There is definitely something wrong when it is assumed that someone works for ebay just because they say something positive about the platform.

I am no longer “employable” in the normal work place. ebay quite literally has given me a career. I have been involved (as a seller and as a consultant for sellers) for 15 years.

it pays my mortgage, my bills and i have seen it pay many, many staff and turn peoples life around.

You are damn right i am going to defend it when sellers come on here and trash the platform.

By trashing ebay – folk have a negative impact on both their business, my business and everyones business on the platform. Some sellers on here are just too stupid to realise this (one seller was proposing a petition a few weeks ago where we stop selling on the platform for one day). It makes by blood boil.

We have a symbiotic relationship with ebay and some sellers would kill the “host” that we are relying on for sales. They try to spoil it for sellers who ARE having a good experience.

ebay increase shop fees, compensate with a voucher and you would think the sky was falling! Not only are sellers complaining about the free voucher , many are complaining about the fantastic packaging and they want to hide the ebay logo or not promote ebay. doh!

Oh dear – look what i done – i replied anyway to your post – i said i wouldn’t do that.

• Jonah
    3 weeks ago

Alan is one of the anointed few…… concierge. Quite a few on here are concierge, however there are other second class citizens like ourselves that despite selling hundreds of thousands of pounds a year through eBay have to deal with Manila call centres and bonkers “advice”. Amazing how a company can differentiate between its customers in such a way.
    That by the way isn’t a dig at Alan (who at times gets very unfair personal abuse on here) it’s a frustration at the way we are treated as a customer. I wouldn’t dream of doing the same to my clients.
    The shop fees clearly show a charge of £10, it can’t be dressed up as anything else.

• alan paterson
    3 weeks ago

@ Jonah, over 50% on here are concierge. Your assumed criteria for Concierge is mistaken – it is not based on turnover. One of my ebay shops does only a £100 per day – yet it is still concierge. I can understand why you may have thought it based on turnover but the days of “power seller” are gone.

However, I must admit I was somewhat surprised last year when my smaller shops qualified.

Even before concierge I believed we were getting adequate support and far better than other platforms out there.

The vouchers were actually introduced as a goodwill gesture. I presume it is listed on the ebay invoice for tax purposes (ebay will be able to “write off’ the charge for tax purposes – it keeps the record straight. I hope you don’t think I am dressing this up but i see the voucher for what it is – a goodwill gesture to “compensate” for the increase in shop fees.