eBay pricing promo: final value fees capped at £1 for eligible private sellers

By Dan Wilson October 6, 2017 - 6:45 am

It looks like there’s another eBay pricing promo is in the offing and this one is for UK private sellers as per usual. The offer is by invitation only.

Under the terms they say: “Create up to 100 listing(s) on eBay.co.uk in an eligible category, starting during the promotion period, using the auction-style or fixed price format, and pay a maximum of £1 in final value fees per listing if they sell.Before your 100 listings start, you need to have actively opted in to the promotion via the RSVP link shown in the marketing communication. You won’t pay an insertion fee for each of the 100 listings. Listing upgrade fees will still apply and will be charged according to the eBay fees policy.”

It’s canny timing for an eBay pricing promo. They obviously want to see a boost to both listings and revenues as they enter that critical fourth quarter. You can find a link to the eBay Terms and Conditions here.

Who is eligible for the eBay pricing promo?

“eBay.co.uk registered private sellers who have been invited to participate and have actively opted in to the promotion via the RSVP link shown in the marketing communication. Participation is linked to the seller’s account and is not transferable. Sellers must be registered as a resident in the UK.”

• cockneydevil
    2 weeks ago

I suppose our business fees rising by an indeterminate amount will subsidize this again.

Im getting sick to the back teeth of ebay trying to induce private sellers to sell more , but putting ever larger hurdles in the way of businesses meaning they sell less .

If they thought as much of us as they do of Joe soap , they wouldnt need this type of nonsense in the first place
    Sellers buy too , and the more I sell, the more chance I’ll buy other stuff .

Just do what you are supposed to do.
    let me do what I’m supposed to

The last thing we need is a new influx of sellers that dont know the rules

• Ian A
    2 weeks ago

Honestly what is the point in being a business seller and paying shop fees when it’s basically free for individuals to use the site

As a sole trader I’d be better off leaving and just using various private accounts

• Leader of the Banned
    2 weeks ago

This is the third time they have rolled out this promo in 7 weeks. This is unheard of in such a short space of time. Maybe amateur sellers are missing the promos due to the new selling hub. I have never figured out why eBay don’t email their promotions.

Whatever happened to the 50,000 free listing for business sellers?

Currently you get 100 free listings a day if you are not registered as a business. Plus 20 listings a month & a 20p selling fee if you sell something. That’s up to 3,020 FREE listings a month for private sellers while business sellers are paying £82.79 a month for 1500 listings plus an 8-10% selling fee.

What became of eBay’s “level playing field”

• Wyn
      2 weeks ago

Some do get emails re promotions, I don’t. A quick check with two family members who are also ‘amateur’ sellers – only 1 in 3 of us has this promotion.
      Potential to list 3,020 items per month could end at any time! – anyway who has time to list more than, say, a dozen items per day?! Sales are so slow that a reduced fee helps balance all the Best Offers I am accepting. I think it’s tough for everyone. Just wish they’d stop changing stuff – bulk re-listing now – that benefits no-one.

• Alex Peters
    1 day ago

I think Ebay are desperate for more money.

They deliberately make their accounting obfuscated to hide their greed.

Has anyone looked at their fees compared to 12 months ago. My featured shop has seen my fees increase (like for like) from last October 8.33% this October 10.55%

I have examined my invoices in great details and cannot identify where these increases have been added.

Even the invoice totals don’t add up and there is no information where they get the figures from

Insertion fees
    Advanced listing upgrade fees
    Final value fees
    Subscription and one time fees
    Postage fees
    Discounts and credits

• jef
    1 day ago

Ebay seems to be the biggest secret online scam site in history. Utter crooks.

• Rob
    1 day ago

They are having a crack down on any businesses who give contact details in messages yet keep giving free listings and low final value fees away. There are countless sellers who sell similar stock to myself who are registered as private sellers so pay very little in the way of fees to ebay yet clearly run a business.

• alan paterson
    1 day ago

Really…………look at the comments above. Its a promotion guys …… its a positive thing!

• 23 hours ago

Alan Paterson AKA eBay’s Chief cheerleader, thinks

“So many Ebay haters on here. I feel sorry for Ebay sometimes. Even when they offer free stuff or run a promotion they are barraged by negative comments.

If you put the same amount of energy into developing your business on Ebay rather than complaining about everything……… and I mean everything………”

Truely alan paterson, you are an idiot.

eBay itself? I love it, the way it’s laid out and how the site performs? PERfect, but the WAY it is run? the disHONEST way it conducts business, and the pathetic one sided feedback system that prevents , for whatEVER excuse, the ability of a seller to leave a buyer anything BUT positive feedback, or no feedback at all?. THIS aspect of eBay stinks, IMHO

• alan paterson

@removaldog. I don’t think I am the one being the idiot here. You say you love ebay.,….but then accuse them of being dishonest? with no substantial follow up or back up. and the reason you don’t like the platform (a contradiction from your initial statement is that you can’t leave a buyer bad feedback – something that was introduced 10 years ago (and with good reason). Also – it is no longer a parameter that is assessed or counted for your seller performance – so where is the logic that this is the worst thing about ebay? A percentage that is not even counted?

If you don’t mind me saying your post is confusing and makes little sense. Are you still at school?

It was good you copy and pasted by initial post into yours. You should read it again and take heed.

Also…you did not address my point. Ebay run a promotion and there are nothing but negative comments…….and i still think that applies although a lot of new posts have came in this evening. All negative…….

No, I don’t think i am the one being the idiot lol.

• PayPalUser
    1 day ago

Hi Alan,

I read your positive Tamebay comments about how great ebay is with interest.

I don’t agree with any of them, you see as an eBay seller with over 60000 positive feedbacks, they treat us like crap, and hide our listings.

Best Match – As an example, we sell a certain type of hat, we have the second cheapest price of this item by £0.05,

we offer eBay Premium Service
    we are TRS
    we offer Argos Click and Collect

but when searching for the item using its name, our hat is the 40th down the list using eBay’s default Best Match.

Searching using lowest price puts us second in the list.

Of the 39 sellers above us in the list some are not TRS, they don’t offer eBay Premium Service, are dearer that us on price and have never sold any of the item, yet they’re higher up the page.

Contacting CS about this is a complete waste of time, tried it several times and they reply with their standard responses and don’t want to know.

And that is why I despise eBay.

• Dave

I have to agree. It’s the lack of communication and lack of basic help from eBay that grates. We’ve done just shy of £1million of sales on eBay in the last couple of years, yet still we get connected to the useless support in Manila (or where ever it is), not an email, phone call or anything from eBay to help us grow our business and therefore their business.

God knows how you get a mythical eBay Concierge assigned to your account.

On our Amazon account (around 1/5th of the eBay turnover), we have 2 people in the UK that we can call and email directly to assist us. They actually pick up the phone and ring me up or send us emails advising of up and coming launches or deals or asking how they can help.

eBay = firefighting to accommodate their latest change
      Amazon = helping us grow our business

• 23 hours ago

I had to call Amazon CS today, and it didn’t hurt a bit.

I’ve always found them one of the best to deal with, but my idea of perFECtion would be the eBay site as is (it’s functionality) with Amazon business ethos, that doesn’t (as with eBay) include collusion with scammers, in pursuit of profit.

• alan paterson

So you don’t like how Cassini works. that seems to be your gripe and your not happy with your position in the search results?

Boohoo…..Everyone wants to be at the top for the best keywords – guess what – they can’t!

I think you are forgetting it is ebays platform and they have no obligation to place you at the top. Maybe they know you are posting negatives on here and are demoting you. But I do see that you (as most do) hide their name.

Oh, and the reason they don’t help when you phone CS is that they are not trained on how Cassini works…….and that is deliberate. They simply don’t know and are only allowed to talk in general terms. Personally I quite like this approach – this way you don’t have sellers manipulating search results as some did in the past.

You guys are just proving my first point. Too many ebay haters on the platform. Why do you even trade on the platform if you despise it so. And you call me an idiot…….lol

• Jonah

#Dave I feel your pain brother. Exactly the same here, we pump tens of thousands of pounds a year into eBay coffers yet receive next to no customer support at all.
    What hurts even more is that a friend who has a private account with less than 30 feedback, has recently received an offer of eBay concierge support- and he isn’t even a business!!! He hasn’t either ever sold anything on eBay!!!
    What a farce, you couldn’t make it up.

• alan paterson

@ Jonah – your friend has perhaps been invited into concierge as a buyer. The Concierge Team have “Concierge Buyers” as well as Concierge Sellers.

Even when I was not in Concierge I always found that the normal customer service done their best. I don’t relate to your post at all.

• Jonah

@Alan, that’s the thing my friend,,, you completely miss the point. Concierge…… Why feel the need to differentiate between your customers,,,,, some getting superb customer service whilst others get close to none?
    I treat my customers all the same with great service and personal attention to detail,,,,, I don’t feel the need to dump some of them to a remote call centre in Manilla.
    Do you run a two tier customer service centre in your business?
    We don’t.

• alan paterson

sorry Jonah, before Concierge I still believe that support was good. Not as good as Concierge I admit but I seldom had cause to complain over a 14 year period. If I wasn’t in concierge I would still be defending.

• 9 hours ago

@alan paterson needs me to spell it out to him.

Yes, I love eBay… the way it LOOKS, the way it is LAID OUT, the way I can search for an item, and select the criteria that matters to me. WATCH an item, check details, check the history of another bidder B4 I get involved in an auction with that person, contact a seller etc…etc…etc, do you get it now, ? it’s a rhetorical question.

Love eBay, hate the way it is run, by muppets just like you I suspect. Still, you DO make me laugh.

• alan paterson

The implication being that I work for Ebay? Rather weary of this. Again, I say positive things about Ebay and suddenly “I work for Ebay”. I think this perfectly proves my point about the “hate Ebay culture”.

A poor, poor way of undermining someones post and trying in vain to win an argument. Happy to see some positive posts on this thread since my last.

I don’t agree with your point though, it was unclear and your attempts to undermine me by implying I work for Ebay is unprofessional and puerile and I have heard it all before.

Oh and if you “love Ebay ” as you claim: I dare you to write something positive…….go on…..I dare you…….

If you don’t mind me quoting you:

BEGIN QUOTE:
      “the disHONEST way it conducts business, and the pathetic one sided feedback system that prevents , for whatEVER excuse, the ability of a seller to leave a buyer anything BUT positive feedback, or no feedback at all?. THIS aspect of eBay stinks, IMHO”
      CLOSE QUOTE

Certainly doesn’t sound like someone who loves Ebay. Do you have a split personality thing going on?

• 9 hours ago

“Rant” over…for now 🙂

• Northumbrian

This bollocks about fees and how much is paid into eBay’s coffers
    Bemuses me
    eBay
    Is a service that is used to make money
    if your not making money your crackers ,your giving eBay money
    Just
    So you can whinge and Moan

• Rob

There are many great things going on with ebay like GSP, Click and Collect is ok when the buyer picks things up. There are also many things that could be better.

Search results, where your listing ranks is different for different people when they are looking. I have spoken to ebay customer support about where listing rank and when searching on google chrome they come up in one place and when speaking to customer support who uses the exact same search they come up in a different place.

If you get through to Manila, I just tend to say I want to speak to the Ireland customer support centre and hang up and try again till I get through to them as even if they don’t give you the answer you want they are much more understanding and helpful instead of repeating every question back to you and still don’t understand it.

They don’t treat sellers the same way they expect sellers to treat their customers.

• northumbrian

for many years unless it was a cataclysmic problem
    we never ever contacted customer support ,it was just not good for our blood pressure,
    though now we have nothing but praise for the concierge service its that good
    were astounded ebay dont charge extra for it,
    maybe this is why we have the concierge
    we do our job and get on with it ,
    we only contact ebay unless we really really really with extra really have to

• Jonah

@Alan Paterson
    I understand entirely Alan- without concierge you would still be defending.
    The salient point being that without concierge, you stand a substantial chance of not having a chance to defend at all. The nonsense, outright disgraceful and to a point of comical “advice” we have received from custard support over the years is frankly shameful.

• alan paterson

@ Jonah, one of my clients summed up Ebay customer support a few years ago by saying:

” Ebay CS don’t always get it right……..but (unlike other platforms)……they do TRY and get it right! ”

It was a simple statement and I think summed up things perfectly. I have a lot of patience as long as they are at least TRYING to do things correctly and they are always honest. Sometimes expectations fall short of the mark but you get that in any company. Ebay CS has improved immensely since 2003 and (in my opinion) is far superior to any other platform out there.

It gets to me when sellers confuse “getting their own way” with “dishonesty” like our colleague above “removaldog”. A negative won’t be removed or a case is closed in buyers favour and suddenly Ebay are called “dishonest”. I have even seen them called “crooks” on here. Its frustrating.

To put in bluntly if you were a new seller (or buyer) would you want to use Ebay having read some of the posts on here? Folk are only damaging their own business by going on rants with persistent negativity. We should stop the mud slinging at Ebay and be working as a team buying off each other and encouraging others to do the same. Although that may sound a little naive most of the sellers on here are achieving the exact opposite.

This should be a positive thread about another promotion run by Ebay to encourage growth on the platform. It was well written by Dan but almost immediately we get the mud slingers.

At least we get balanced posts by Rob and Northumbrian who at least say things “as they are” rather than trying to dig up a negative perspective on a positive promotion.

• Northumbrian

Before concierge over nearly 20 years
      Our experience with eBay customer support ,was horrendous they were utterly useless,indefensibly not fit for purpose

• alan paterson
      1 hour ago

And just as I though you and I might be on the same page for once……..

lol

• northumbrian
      11 mins ago

same book different page
      we call it how it is
      ebays customer support is a joke if you dont have concierge

• Wyn
    32 mins ago

Lol! Look out for another promo this weekend – they seem to be fortnightly.