CWU could call Royal Mail strike ballot Wednesday this week

By Chris Dawson September 4, 2017 - 1:00 pm

Last week Communication Workers Union (CWU) general secretary Dave Ward warned that unless Royal Mail significantly shifted their position on pensions, a shorter working week, a redesign of the company’s pipeline and the extension of current agreements then a ballot on strike action will be held early in September.

This is bad news for all concerned, but it appears unlikely that if a ballot takes place that there won’t be enough votes from the 110,000 posties in the CWU for strikes to take place.

Royal Mail face a number of issues as the carry on their modenisation program and face the reality of running a business instead of effectively being a government department.

On pensions, it’s pretty obvious that hardly anyone is in a final salary pension scheme these days. Most employees are on fixed contribution schemes as they’re more affordable and yes, they do offer less security in retirement.

Pay is an interesting one as Dave Ward points out that whilst Posties are denied massive pay rises Royal Mail has paid out £770m in dividends to private shareholders. That’s the result of being a publicly traded company – share holders only invest if they see a return and plenty of other workers in both the public and private sector haven’t had a big pay rise in years either.

The working week is a crucial change for Royal Mail. Times are changing and ever more consumers are demanding next day delivery of items purchased ever later in the day. There was once a time that First Class post meant before breakfast and Second Class post was delivered around lunch time. Today, with many out at work, it doesn’t really matter what time the post arrives but what does matter is what time posties start on their rounds. The later in the day that rounds start the easier it is for Royal Mail to accept next day parcel deliveries and get them to their destination the following day.

Royal Mail need to offer businesses later cut of times for collections and it still takes time for these packages to whizz around the country. Sadly for posties, who have habitually started work early in the day and been home by early afternoon, this does mean that their working hours are likely to change.

Perhaps the easiest for Royal Mail and the Unions to agree on would be an extension to the current legal agreements, but that will only come after all other issues are settled.

Strike Ballot Timetable

It is expected that the CWU Executive will meet on Tuesday the 5th of September and it’s hard to see a circumstances that means they won’t enact their strike ballot timetable. The good news is that no strikes will be called before October, the bad news is that it’s highly likely that the CWU will go for maximum disruption and call strikes around Black Friday and the run up to Christmas.

• 16th August 2017: Letters went out for CWU Membership Check
  • 30th August 2017: Information Returned
  • 5th September 2017: CWU Executive Meet
  • 6th September 2017: Issue Notification
  • 14th September 2017: Ballot Opens
  • 3rd October 2017: Ballot Closes
  • 3rd October 2017: Result Announced

In all this there are two things worth remembering. First is that we all rely on the Royal Mail and our posties do a fantastic job. The second is that posties, whilst carrying a huge responsibility for guarding our mail, they are largely what might be termed unskilled workers and they do in reality enjoy a pretty decent salary and benefits. No one would deny that they might deserve more, but strikes will damage their reputation and the Royal Mails business.

However much online seller and offline businesses may support posties strike action, once they decide to move their parcels to another carrier they may never return to Royal Mail. They may discover that myHermes or Pass My Parcel or Yodel or any of dozens of other carriers can fill the gap and they may decide that the upheaval of moving back to Royal Mail simply isn’t worth the hassle.

Less parcels means less money, less investment and ultimately a poorer future for posties and a degraded service for the rest of the country.

• SAM
    2 months ago

“Dividends to private shareholders” we get ours every 6 months, however at £3.85 a share today it no longer is the sound investment it was, I would have missed a few of those if they had just got on with bringing RMG into the 21st century.
    Anyway we always knew RMG was a bit of a dinosaur and their pace of modernisation is a bit like the speed of a diplodocus. We think it is time for Moya to go and pretty much the rest of the senior team.
    The Posties actually get paid a lot more than a Amazon or Hermes Driver and have more secure working hours. However just like everyone else they are having their working conditions depleted in battle to the bottom Britain. There is the ethical point of view when looking at deliveries in my opinion, I want to know my orders are being delivered by someone who is being paid and decent wage for one.

I actually think the posties do a great job, and are badly let down by the management and backroom staff. Just come of the phone about 30mins ago to the business team “honest they are awful”, they guy sounded stoned on the other end.
    RMG needs fresh leadership someone who can deal with legacy issues and help RMG evolve to deal with the modern “must have” world we live in. Right now Amazon are not sitting about they are a Tyrannasaurus Rex eating big chunks out of the the big Fat Diplodocus at RMG and eBay.
    Reason I invested money in RMG I thought with the advent of online shopping they would fly, they are actually along with eBay in huge decline. Issue is we can live without eBay but we cannot without RMG. Anyway strikes will do RMG eBay and the rest of the markets NO good and will only benefit Amazon long term who I think are going to clean up this peak and leave the rest licking their wounds.

• 2 months ago

do amazon/ dpd/ hermes/ or any other courier deliver mail . door to door advertising and very large and small parcels all at the same time in all weathers and with bags on there backs i dont think so so that is where the diffrence in pay is

• nigel
    2 months ago

Royal mail and many other companies are in a constant race to the bottom the only people to profit from this are the directors When is this country going to wake up and realise we have a serious problem how long do people think it will take before Amazon or Hermes increase their prices if there is no Royal Mail and as with most other privatisation how long before customer service is rock bottom and the customer amounts to no more than a number on a sheet of paper. Most people know their Postie some have been doing the same job for years and are on first name terms with their customers there is more to being a postman than just delivering a letter I know Postmen who often check on elderly customers and may be the only person they see all day. My own Postman when out on his round came across a young child who had escaped early one morning because he knew his customers he was able to return that child safely to his family who knows what would have happened if he had not been around for that child. If the postman are going on strike it will be the very last thing they want to do and will have been left with no other option as with most strikes.

• Andy R
    2 months ago

The big question is what Ebay will do about giving sellers defects for late RM delivery if strikes go ahead.

The margin is wafer thin and it would not take many extra late deliveries to push you below the top rate threshhold.

Buyers are not aware when they hit the yes/no on-time delivery button that the seller gets hit. Most probably think they’re rating the postal service.

Sure, if action is prolonged Ebay may well suspend late delivery defects, but past performance suggests it will be too little, too late.

Our business is not particularly Xmas oriented, so I may take an extended break from late Nov. and re-open the Ebay shop in the New Year.

• 2 months ago

There is easily enough posties who will be voting yes for strike action and yes pay should rise and stop withe the hermies and amozon crap you really need to get your facts right it will be a massive yes for strike action

• 2 months ago

Why do people compare postmen to other courier drivers it’s a complete joke! The indoor sorting and amount of miles we walk carrying heavy bags is unreal a courier driver wouldn’t last two days, a decent pension was always given as for the physical work we do the pay is not great,postmen will not last 30/40 years in the job it’s just to physical now not like when I started 17 years ago.

• The courier
      1 month ago

You are quite right, couriers work 12 to 14 hours a day, i’m sure we couldnt hack working half those hours for twice the money.

perhaps you need to remember you guys are only any good for junk mail and cheap rubbish no courier company would touch with a bargepole.

• Liam
    2 months ago

Let’s strike they are just bullying and harrasing us employees id love 2 see moyra do a 5 hr dly.

• Joseph
    2 months ago

Where does Tamebay get it’s info from. The Royal Mail final salary pension scheme was closed in 2008.

• JOE
    2 months ago

Royal mail don’t care about the staff,just the shares,a really bad company to work for.im looking out as soon as I can after 12 years.this last year has been terrible.hate going into work every morning this was not the case 2 years ago.

• Chris
    2 months ago

Try working for them 23 years!! Gone are the days when you had 350/450 drops on your own walk, which took about 3 hours to do. Now you have to pair up in a van and between you do about 1500, which takes 5 hours and more. You’re always been told that they will not put anymore walks in, yet more and more houses are built, you can’t claim overtime if you don’t tell them before you go out. Sometimes they will not let you cliam overtime at all. Managers bully people. I’ve know women be there a few months in tears because what managers have said to them. It not the business i remember when i first started. I started as a summer temp and enjoyed my job that much i always helped the full timers (for nothing) after i finished my work. I hate the place now!!

• Whirly
      2 months ago

“Try working for them 23 years!! Gone are the days when you had 350/450 drops on your own walk, which took about 3 hours to do. Now you have to pair up in a van and between you do about 1500, which takes 5 hours and more.”

You used to work for 3 hours a day Chris, now you have to work for 5? and you get a full time wage for that? with pension and holidays?… am I missing something here?
      I’ve done 5 hours before brunch with absolutely no chance of finishing anytime within the next 6 hours after that, with NO pension and NO paid holidays.

*Grabs the worlds smallest violin but falls asleep before I can be bothered to play the worlds saddest song.

• 2 months ago

Actually Whirly many Postie’s biggest complaint is that they used to complete their round in 3 or so hours, claim a full day’s pay and then do a bit more work with overtime pay.

Imagine that they now have to work a full day and if they finish early (increasingly unlikely as rounds and start times change) that they have to help with other tasks until their shift ends instead of getting paid overtime until their shift ends!

I mean how unfair does it sound that you no longer get paid and get paid overtime at the same time?

• Nicole
      2 months ago

5 hours a day isn’t all they work. They do about 2-3hours in a morning, sorting the mail, parcels and leaflets. The new pension is basic. Offices are short staffed meaning staff having to stay out delivering until 6 at night sometimes just to get mail out that day with no guarantee of actually getting paid the extra overtime. Some posties don’t have time for breaks and only get contracted hours holiday when usually they do 40+ hours normally.

• cat
    2 months ago

Having worked for RM for 28 years, I have to agree with others, this last year has been the worst and every year gets worse. Part time staff are given full time deliveries to do, and some are owed over 30 hrs overtime a week, they will never get paid. Reserve staff cover holidays and do different deliveries each week, they are told they will get 1 Saturday off in 4, if possible, most manages read this as never. More staff of with stress this year then any other. There was over 9 vacancies this summer, which were expected to be delivered at no extra cost, most weeks mail doesn’t even leave the office, as there is not the staff or hours to deliver it, managers always say on their daily reports that the office is cleared? Managers bullying staff and harassing them to work past their finishing times, overtime being forced on to people, Holidays being used to manipulate staff into working their days off, RM do not care about there employees or customers, it’s all about making money, and managers hitting their targets so they get paid their bonus. RM is not a good company to work for any more.

• James

Hi

Postmen refuse to move with the times. Competition has made logistics a more complicated market. You can’t sit back and hark on about the good old days. The good old days don’t exist anymore. DPD, Hermes etc are all waiting to take away business from you guys.

You either allow modernisation to happen (which should mean thousands of you lot getting fired and being replaced by machines in sorting offices, along with possibly thousands of non-jobs of people I see sitting around in sorting offices) or find out that slowly all your customers have moved over to other couriers.

Postmen do a good job – but you guys shouldn’t be protected from market forces. Upgrade your skills if you want to get paid more or don’t like what you do. The rest of us have to do it this way.

• A NEILSON
      2 months ago

James your comments are shocking ,you don’t know what your talking about .This is the 4th time my start time has been changed ,the third time my pension robbed.I do a 6hour rural duty covering 70miles that now incorporates no toilet stop I.e. Pish in a field ,taking meal breaks at side roads with no hand washing bar gel sanatiser that I have to provide ,now they are saying they are stopping statutory sick pay ,pensions ,and changing start timeme to 10am which means business and farms won’t get mail till six at night ,even h/s must have a problem with driving country roads at dusk to darkness in a Scottish winter that has started now .Give yourself a break and stop this race to the bottom for your weans sake .if you tolerate this your children will be next.

• Mr Postie
      2 months ago

I like that you mentioned robots, because what you have said is very true.
      They will take over but it won’t just be Posties who are effected, it will be most industries.
      Haulage will definitely be one of the first to be hit, but in 10-15 years time there will not be a single job that exists that a robot will not be able to do better.
      This is why they are talking about introducing a universal payment for everybody because a huge number of people will be made unemployed and they will lose their ‘purpose’ in life if you like?

In ten-fifteen years, all cars on the road today will be completely autonomous and there will not be a steering wheel in any of the cars.
      Robots will be great for driving up efficiencys but there will be mass unemployment as a result.

There are robots which lay bricks at like 1000 bricks an hour I think it said.
      There are robots which cook which they named ‘Jeff’ hahaha

I agree with strike action, when you work at RMG you can see for yourselves that the volume of parcels are increasing and the duties are getting longer.
      They are trying to run each sorting office on as fewer staff as possible.
      All you need to do is get rid of phasing by employing 4/5 more staff and making them full time duties.
      As a postman we feel like we are being worked into the ground and everyone takes there profits and nothing is getting put back into the sorting offices which is effective.
      We need new bags, new sorting frames… i cant see any modernisation taking place in my office.

They don’t let you take your overtime out with you now in the morning, they removed the ‘job and knock’ culture we once had.
      Now I would bet every office is less efficient because moral is low and postman just think it’s only going to keep getting worse.

I’ve not been in this job long and it is very physical, not in terms of Mail. It’s the parcels which make the bags as heavy as they are and nobody can confirm Royal Mail to anybody else because we are the only company which delivers mail.
      If you wanted to compare us with Yodel, Hermes etc….
      If your not home we keep your parcels safe at your local office, I’ve walked past and seen Yodel parcels in bushes on people’s guttering because they get paid per item, they don’t care about giving a good service or making sure your parcels are safe.
      So the public I think should understand where we are coming from and should support us.

I love being a postman, but I think people at management level need to remember why they have been around 500 years and the changes which they have made recently I would say from talking to people in the last few years, it’s those changes which are putting Royal Mail at risk of no longer existing anymore.

They go on about how volume on letters is down… that parcel volume isn’t making up the money which is lost.
      Yet they still pay out 770million or whatever it is to shareholders…
      how about you put some of that money back in your sorting offices and pay each office to take on 5 more members of staff.

• Alan P
      2 months ago

I am sorry, but I am with James and Chris with this one. Couldnt have put it better myself.

Over the years I have built up a rapport with many of the postman who collected from us. Yes they had it very, very easy. Some of them used to park up and go for a sleep for a few hours before collecting our parcels for the day. I was well educated by them – all the scams they had and hours that they could sleep or skive on the job. this has now came to an end and they are throwing their toys out the pram.

In comparison to the Hermes driver that collect from us these postman do half the hours for double the pay.

I am not saying that many do a good job but there has been many a time that I wish i could have traded professions with them when i say how “cushy” they had it. Off course many of them have been in the job for decades so they have no real comparison.

Now they intend to try and effect my business again by not collecting my parcels at the busiest time of year. My solution? I will give my parcels to their competitors who dont try and stuff me at peak periods.

In years gone by – if i didnt like my job, or i didnt think my work was being appreciated – i simply moved on. I didnt try and blackmail my employers with strike action or intentionally effect my employers customers in an attempt to draw attention to my cause. If you dont like your job – get another one!

• James

A Neilson

You do realise that the many of us reading this blog are marketplace sellers. Competition is what we have to deal with every single day and the race to the bottom is inevitable whether you like it or not. This is the nature of capitalism.

Your logistics competition don’t care about your view. Quite simply if you don’t innovate, upgrade and provide the required service to the market, someone else will and your customers will simply move where convenient.

The difficulty of your job is only relevant to you. If you find it difficult or not enjoyable then you should consider quitting. Unemployment levels in the UK are quite low I am certain you will be able to find a job in no time. This is what the rest of us have to do.

We make decisions based on (amongst other things) i) Do I like this job, does it pay enough etc. ii) Are there alternatives out there that I prefer to this job that are within my reach (within the criteria of satisfaction, equivalent pay etc.) iii) If there are no better options available.

If option 3 is your problem then I suggest you go out and develop skills that make option 2 more viable. You shouldn’t expect things to stay the same forever and you shouldn’t expect the rest of us to suffer for you if you can’t be bothered to explore option 3.

We all know the result of union action in competitive markets. Sellers like us will just find alternative couriers. Much of our business will return when the strikes end but not all. If you strike businesses will spend their time looking for alternatives that they might have never considered. Some of those alternatives will do a good job and business with Royal Mail will be lost forever.

• James

Mr Postie

Modernisation requires costs to be cut in some areas to justify investment in others.

Upgrading sorting offices is a costly endeavour. Most modern industries invest in capital expenditure on plant and equipment on the assumption that added investment will reduce costs – the largest cost usually being labour.

CWU union would never allow the jobs of its members to be cut so drastically.

Royal Mail can’t justify spending say £500m on upgrading sorting office equipment that would remove the need of say 5000 staff (random numbers) when they’re not allowed to remove those staff because the union says no.

Imagine spending 500m to save 100m in salaries a year and then told actually no you’re not allowed to save that 100m a year in salaries because posties think their jobs are too sacred and special.

You can’t have your cake and eat it. Want better conditions – then your industry needs to grow up and you need to accept possible redundancy as an inevitable result in modern capitalism.

Lastly please take some understanding to look less at the total amount of rerun to shareholders and the net margin. Royal Mail does not make an excessive net margin. It is well within the expectations of a large company (and possibly on the low side). The total value itself is an irrelevant figure.

• G jones
    2 months ago

I have to agree with comments I’ve done 33yrs in Royal Mail and never seen it so bad deliveries not going out people not being paid for the hours they have worked if Moya Green and her mob think it’s such a wonderful job she needs to look at it from our side. I or many other postman don’t want to strike but if that what it takes to bring these people to their senses then so be it.

• 2 months ago

I’ve worked for Royal Mail for 27 years and the last couple of years has been horrendous working for them.gone are the days when postmen/women could complete their rounds on time or even talk to their customers.management are constantly asking us to do more and more,ie when new builds come up and the postman/woman whose walk is closest are expected to do this as well when their walk has already been tested.constant bullying by managers,especially to new recruits who aren’t as clued up as someone who,s been in the job years just so they can get their bonuses. As for lapsing,WHAT A JOKE, we can,t even complete our own walks,as is DOOR TO DOOR , sometimes we have 6 or even more to deliver as well as everything else.Managers now are just ROBOTS who you can,t reason with.And as far as comparing our job with Hermes or other delivery firms,they only deliver parcels,not mail, door to door and aren,t standing in an office for hours sorting it all out before we even get out on delivery.let Moya Green and all the other fat cats pocketing bonuses at our expense try our job for a week and see how they get on, I,d bet they,d soon agree with our grievances.ROLL ONTHE STRIKES.

• Andy
    2 months ago

Hi to all posties, most of you do a great job and deliver many letters each day in sometime demanding conditions. It is not stress full and you get to walk and get paid for it. I have to agree with many others already who have written in that you do an unskilled job.. Either do it or get out. You get well paid for a short day with little stress and ability to be out in the fresh air. There are many others who would love your jobs. Appreciate what you have and if you do not like it retrain and do something else. This is what I have had to do through my own career. I do not get overtime, pension, allowances, bonuses etc. but if I did not like it I moved on. I wish those that like to work for their wage all the best. For the rest of you move on.

• Nicole
      2 months ago

The little stress bit is untrue. Posties do have stress too. Managers on their cases, being guilt-tripped into doing extra work with no guarantee of actually being paid for it. Also having to be out by a certain time to get mail to customers without them saying “Ooooh, you’re very late today.” There is stress, it’s not just walking around with a small bag of mail.

• 1 month ago

Unless you work for RM, you have not got a clue what you are talking about. I walk 10 miles a day and my wife walks 12.3 miles a day every day,could you do this, i don’t think so. we also have to put up with dog attacks,people on drugs or pissed up being abusive. people telling us to fuck off because we woke them up on nights and they have a parcel. we are out in all weathers. posties have lost fingers because people cant keep there dogs away from the letter box. posties have also saved lives. posties also do a lot for charities. so unless you know what you are talking about, shut the fuck up!!!!!!!!

• Alan P
      1 month ago

@ Mr Postie – you are kinda showing your ignorance with that statement and your closed minded insular attitude. I don’t work for Royal Mail but i have been working WITH Royal Mail for 30 years. Mmmmm……… I don’t know what I am talking about? Believe me – I used to spend nearly £5,000 a week of my own money pn the service – I did analyse how that money was being spent and I DO know what I am talking about. Most sellers do but they see the problem from a bigger perspective which you with your JOB mentallity and closed minded approach do not. Your statement only serves to prove this to be true.

• Postman pat
    2 months ago

It is unskilled yes but people who post crap about I would love to do your job bla bla you ain’t got a clue or stepped foot in a office

• Mark the postie ( unskilled)
    2 months ago

Andy you have been watching to many postman pat DVDs we would all love a round like his !! But seriously if you have never done the job be careful what you say about it . I have been a postman for 29 years and for 25 of these years have enjoyed it most of the time but since privatisation it has become a desperate place to work as other have said it is cut cut cut do more more more for less!!!! If a full time worker leave their job becomes parttime at the office that I work there are nearly as many partimes as full timers . Yes if we do have to strike we will lose some work but we have the right to defend what we believe in ,a good standard of living. The middle managers have lost touch in what the job is about all they are interested in is figures on paper they need to get round some of the offices and speak to there staff that do the job and see how the job has changed!,you Seen to think that we work a short day how wrong you are them days have long gone if you think that you could do the job apply to join oh yes just remember it will only be part time !!!

• SAM
    2 months ago

In defence of the Posties, one of my best friends is a postman. He does say they not treated very well by the management (we used to work together, he is no lazy bones and where we worked he said it was like paradise). He does say the managers are pure awful.
    He does love the physical aspect of his job and being outdoor (and he does it in the north of Scotland so he is in the real outdoors)
    I think Green is destroying the Royal Mail however and it is time for her and her mob to go as you say. Profits before people.
    Am a shareholder and a business customer , but am more interested in RMG getting with the times (she has had long enough now). As a business customer the service from your business team is dreadful, honest I would fire the lot the way they speak to us, it has gone from being pretty good to downright awful in the last two years.
    As far as pensions etc go, so many companies have a pension pot they simply cannot afford, and most people in the “private sector” are working in pretty poor working conditions these days without any bonus or pension so you will find very little sympathy am afraid.
    Trust me I understand the woes it is just a sign of our times am afraid. Poor employers all about. Unless it effects them people do not care they all live in a bubble these days.
    I do believe a lot of posties were handed some sweet share deals also.
    I also know the posties and sort staff do do a fantastic job, we talk to our crew all the time. (ohh and they get nice big tips still at Christmas), you are let down by the management and backroom staff however.

If you strike you strike, it will effect us, but at the end of the day you are driving another nail into your own business as businesses like ours are so reliant on a Secure postal system, we need to keep trading we have no choice we do not trade we do not eat, we cannot strike. So what can we do we send stock into Amazon, we do not want to but have no choice.
    Anyway I hope you get some sort of result from your action, but from what I see strikes don’t really help anyone.
    Get rid of Green we and get someone who can take RMG forward we would be happy with.

• Pat
    2 months ago

The office I work in is shocking far to much work and not enough staff been like this for about 3 years,people always working through there breaks and never getting appreciated for it becomes the normal working day. We have business customers ripping us off for years on collections would hate to know how much money RMG have lost with revenue doing nothing about up until now,staff caring more about the job other than clueless mangers that are a waste of time and only care about customer complaints when they are losing millions around the country that’s where a lot of the profits are going believe me I see this daily. Regarding Hermes,amazon,dpd,and other courier companies who like to leave parcels on your doorstep for terry tea leaf to whip away they tried the last two Christmas periods in the city I deliver in and they failed on a massive scale with we ended up delivering the volume of parcels they couldn’t handle they don’t threaten RMG just like whistle/TNT tried but failed,bring on the strike action.

• 2 months ago

I don’t disagree with the right to strike and fight for pensions and rights. Workers who’ve been taken on on a certain deal with promised recompense deserve what has been offered over many years.

But what does a strike achieve? I ask the question as a leftie. Why can’t the unions and Royal Mail strike a deal?

• Mark weaver
    2 months ago

No one wants to strike,but if it is an attack on pensions,shorter working week and terms and conditions,then posties have to take a stand.
    Where will it end?
    If Royal Mail carry on attacking our pensions terms and conditions,then it really is a race to the bottom.
    In another 3 years we will be fighting again with zero hours and minimum wages.
    Why should we have to work to survive so these shareholders can get richer but making us work on the breadline.
    Posties have to take a stand and fight for a decent wage and pension.
    Posties work hard in all weathers,and we are the only company that deliver 15 bags of mail and do parcels aswell.

• SAM
      2 months ago

Some of us shareholders are skint I will have you know 379 today, I cant sell but I can guarantee the funds will buy in cheap as chips and put more pressure on the boards for short term gain.
      Not all shareholders are greedy, I invested a lot of my money as I really thought RMG would go places.
      You are correct however they will start to force zero hour contracts, min wage, sell of more assets. Honest you have the wrong people in charge if that is there vision. We are in a serious battle to the bottom now in the UK.
      So much potential with that network you already have you just have the wrong leadership.

RMG should have it’s OWN marketplace and should be taking on AMAZON. You strike at peak you are putting the nail in the coffin of many SMES this Christmas, I do not think you understand what we have to go through with companies like eBay.

• Alan P
    1 month ago

I am appalled at some of the posties attitude above implying that we – sellers – don’t know what we are talking about. Posting is part of our livelihoods and most of us have been working with Royal Mail for years. Your attitude needs adjustment. The people who are using the service often see the bigger picture.

• Mark
      1 month ago

So if the company you worked for were willing to slash your pension by 30% ,change your hours to work later,make you do the work of 2 people because they will not replace full timers that leave,and you have to cover that vacant duty on top of the 15 bags of mail and parcels you already do.
      Would you not take a stand against what that company wants to do?
      In another 3-5 years Royal Mail posties will be fighting to against minimum wage zero hours.
      It is a race to the bottom.

• Alan Paterson
      1 month ago

@ Mark, the “company” I used to work for (when i began my career) was the armed forces. I have served in both the Fleet Air Arm and RAF – so i don’t think that is a wise comparison you are trying to make. When I got weary of doing “tasks” that endangered my life i decided to get out (after 7 years service). Please don’t go there…….there is a BIG difference.

You are being a “big girls blouse” get on with your job and get the mail delivered.

If you don’t like the new pension do what I done and top it up with a private pension. if you don’t like your job get a new one.

• Paul
    1 month ago

The strike is not just pensions but four pillars

They want RM to work 40 hour week
    brings redundancies
    They don’t what to secure you future
    brings contract out. self employed .franchise. zero hour contractors
    They want to split parcel force away from RM
    brings easily to sell both dodes

• Alan Paterson
    1 month ago

You are only damaging your own company, your own livelihoods and making your future even more insecure.

Perhaps Royal Mail would not be making these cuts if the business was more profitable, if they were carrying more parcels.

Why are they not carrying more parcels? because sellers flocked to your competitors the last time/times there was a strike. Everyone I know (and i do a lot of networking) has switched to a courier competitor and kept their royal mail account purely for the items the courier cannot carry. This has caused immeasurable damage to Royal Mail over the years.

But correct me if I’m wrong……..thats your intention……is it not? To damage your employer so as they will yield and give you conditions that may not be financially viable at the moment. You are aware of the recession? When a country goes into a recession everyone needs to knuckle down and make sacrifices to get out of it. its for the good of the country.

I be honest, and forgive me if i am sounding blunt and rude – i just dont get this attitude at all. Your actions will only serve to weaken Royal Mail further.

But remember sellers get a vote to………i will continue to “vote” by giving the majority of my parcels to the couriers who seem to want my business and don’t make me a casualty at peak periods over a fight i should not even be involved in.

• Mac
    1 month ago

Agree with Alan.
    Couriers already get some stuff that years ago Royal Mail would have had. Strikes just mean more passed to the couriers.
    Who will probably not be daft enough to strike.

How many staff will Royal Mail need this time next year if 10 percent of its work shifts elsewhere?
    Can send large letter stuff through amazon logistics, parcels via Hermes easily enough. APC also can be good for certain goods.

• 3 weeks ago

Allegedly, Royal Mail do not want to compromise on this dispute.
    If they push us out on strike then when we come back they have the perfect excuse to blame all the companies problems on the staff.
    they will then attack terms and conditions ,pay ,pensions ,as was the intent anyway so the savings can be pushed to the share holders who demand ever increasing profits.
    This is only ever achieved in a privatized company at the sufferance of the staff.
    We had the start on the world with The Royal Mail, so sad we have been let down by our government and bosses who have not had the vision to make us a world leader. warm regards a very sad 28 year service postie.

• 3 weeks ago

These are my personal opinions only and my comments are my alleged thoughts on how I see the situation from my perspective.
    warm regards mark ref previous article.

Tamebay Guide

Welcome to our Tamebay Guide. Companies listed in the directory represent the leading suppliers in the UK and Europe.
We deliver more than one billion parcels a year to over 29.3 million