eBay £2.50 Gallery charge glitch still not fixed

By Chris Dawson June 18, 2017 - 2:30 pm

The eBay Gallery Fees glitch is still causing problems for sellers, charging £2.50 per listing, which to give them their due, eBay customer service appear to be refunding promptly once they’re notified of the issue on individual accounts.

However one seller tells us that having had a set of refunds in the middle of the week, have had to call eBay up for further refunds on a new set of listings. The advice they were given was to list all their new items together in one bulk session and then to contact customer support for the refunds.

The problem is that these aren’t new listings, they’re GTC which means they are automatically renewing as each listing’s 30 day period comes to an end. Naturally as the relists are automatic it’s not possible to request refunds en masse – the charges will appear as each individual listing renew.

It would appear (at least over the weekend) that the problem of spurious £2.50 charges has yet to be fixed. If you’ve not yet checked your eBay invoice you’d be well advised to do so before payment is taken.

• Andy R
    4 months ago

We still can’t check our invoice.

Ebay says it is too big to show it and we requested a download 3 days which still hasn’t arrived.

So we still cannot see what Ebay is actually charging us and whether it is correct.

• 4 months ago

Check inside one of your listing’s if one is ticked on the SYI firm just call or go to chat with one item and they’ll clear the rest

• Andy R

Thanks for that, DBL.

Can’t find any yet, but with 70,000 listings it would take forever to check them individually.

Day 4 of waiting for the csv file of our latest invoice to be able to check properly.

Trust in Ebay pretty broken now.

• 4 months ago

You only have to get one item number, you don’t have to check all the listings. Chances are if it is on one it will be on loads. Check those that have relisted as it’s most likely to be on those.

Not really any pattern tbh. eBay also told me to delete my GTC listing and relist but being as it had a long tie history that was out of the question.

• 4 months ago

Still not fixed. We don’t use the gallery fee for any of our items so eBay just refunded the advanced listing upgrade charges on our account for the whole month and said they will do the same for the next period until the issue is resolved. Shocking that it is taking this long.

• 4 months ago

It’s not a bug, it’s deliberate and they bank on a pile of businesses never spotting it and paying this bill.

I never believe any of this rubbish any more.

‘We are experiencing a higher than anticipated number of calls, please hold on our local rate phone line which is not covered by your mobile inclusive minutes while we string this out as long as we possibly can’

^^ it’s the same thing.

• 4 months ago

Its not deliberate Noel.

Regarding the telephone number for ebay………….is it not good that they are using this number? I am on O2 – the inclusive mins DO cover ebays tel number. Maybe look at what tariff/provider you are on?

Oh, wait a min……….[sarcasm] that must be ebays fault too……you went with a mobile service provider without the inclusive mins to ebay. Yes, completely eBay fault as is global warming and the extinction of the Dodo. [end sarcasm]. 🙂

For over 10 years eBay carried an 0800 number. Regardless of the mobile tariffs for 0800 (some free some not, some inclusive some not) it was free from any landline and must have cost eBay a fortune over the years. 0800 number to the Phillipeans…..yes, please. That’s called customer support. There were many times i would have been on a call and it would have cost eBay far more than the item i has sold let alone their selling fees. Some sellers chose to miss these small points.

I read in dismay some posts.

• Mark Hetherington
    4 months ago

I don’t believe it either. Why is it that every time there is a bug it’s detrimental to business, sales or fees in some way? It never works out the other way around e.g. not being charged for something you should have been.

Trust in ebay broken? I’ve been on ebay for almost 20 years now and I think they’re one of the most corrupt businesses out there. I just wish I wasn’t so reliant on them but too late for me to start reinventing my business now.

• 4 months ago

@ Mark . your comment about eBay quote….. “I think they’re one of the most corrupt businesses out there” – cmon that’s a bit harsh. As a matter of fact, I think it might be liable.

So there is a bug (i admit it is frustrating) but that does not make the company corrupt. I have been trading online for 20 years with various websites. If bugs make the owner corrupt them i am going to get several life sentences!

It makes my blood boil when I read posts like this calling eBay “corrupt”, other threads have been calling them “crooks”, “con artists”. Do you not realize that some of your customers read Tamebay? Such talk harms the entire platform – including your own business (and mine).

If you CHOOSE to sell on eBay you are very much “shooting yourself in the foot” with such talk – after all your product is listed with this “corrupt” business. I mean why would you?! Would you partner yourself with a “corrupt” company?

As regards to this bug – although it doesn’t seem to have affected our account I had a chat with eBay about it today. They had actually read Chris’s article and were very aware of the problem. It will be fixed soon and I am sure any errors will be rectified.

To prove my point…….if you have been overcharged I challenge you NOT to get your money back if you make ebay aware of it. If your account has been affected let them know, they will fix, they will refund. Hardley corrupt. Do you think this bug is intentional? That’s the implication.

You know I remember there was another online platform that got the billing wrong recently. It was in their favour….not the sellers. very similar to what has happened here. You dont hear sellers accusing them of being “corrupt”.

• Mark Hetherington
    4 months ago

I’m not sure if you misread my comment because I find it difficult to believe that you think I consider ebay to be corrupt because of ONE bug in 20 years? In fact I clearly stated, “Why is it that EVERY time there is a bug it’s detrimental to business, sales or fees in some way?”

I ask the question again – has there EVER been an error that has actually been financially beneficial to the seller, because if there has I can’t think of one. Don’t you find that odd?

There’s always something with ebay, and if the law were stronger we would be allowed to recoup any losses we had incurred, including almost endless hours of time correcting eBay’s mess, not to mention having to almost continuously re-update listings thanks to their constant rule changes.

This is eBay’s mess, they should be contacting us, checking and updating accounts, not the other way around. How much will they gain from people who have been charged but don’t know about it? You might think they’re all sweetness and light but it’s notable that they haven’t made any sort of announcement about it. Although it doesn’t seem to have affected my account I wouldn’t have known anything about it had I not ventured onto this site looking for something else. Is keeping this issue to themselves fraud or just an oversight do you think? sorry but it’s disgraceful.

As I implied I can quote many more examples, and I’m sure you’re also not naïve enough to think that it would be possible just to shut up shop and move on. As most people know it’s a sort of necessary evil – like thousands of other sellers I can’t simply walk away because I don’t like what’s happening or the way they conduct their business, but that doesn’t make it acceptable.

Incidentally I will mention one other scam of eBay’s – they have taken millions of pounds of tax on seller fees from UK non-VAT registered sellers, that by law they should not have taken because they were not registered in the UK (to save themselves from paying a large UK tax bill). By rights that money should be repaid – Amazon repaid sellers on request for the same thing and I got a large, 4-figure sum from them. But ebay have flatly refused to repay it all the way along. Now if holding onto people’s money that they should not have taken in the first place isn’t corrupt, I don’t know what is.

• Alan Paterson
      4 months ago

I didn’t misread your post. The reason I thought that’s what you meant is because you stated it.

You said:

“I think they’re one of the most corrupt businesses out there”

That’s pretty precise and not really open to interpretation. Maybe you forgot you had written that? Maybe if that’s not what you mean – its best not to type it or folks will get the wrong idea.

Thanks for the education on the telephone lines. I mean that genuinely. I did not know that 0800 numbers were so cheap. However, in a previous post (and previous threads) it has been implied that ebay actually makes money from the call which is obviously not the case.

You do sound like you know what your talking about and i can see where you are coming from with a lot of other points.

• Mark Hetherington
    4 months ago

Alan, large businesses pay for telephone time in batches – they will pay for (for example) a million minutes and it literally costs fractions of a penny per minute. I’ll guarantee you a call to the Philippines via the 0800 number cost them a few pence per hour, literally. Don’t confuse what they pay with what the man in the street will pay via his mobile phone, it’s poles apart.

Frankly the only reason their call centre is based overseas is so they can get away with paying wages of a few pennies per hour. That’s good business for their shareholders but it’s not good customer service.

Trying to get something sorted out is another matter entirely. I’ve sent message after message after message at times and the replies have been the usual cut and paste jobs which often have no relevance to the question I’m asking, while at times they have referred to me as the buyer rather than the seller, got the item wrong, got the username wrong and a whole host of other things.

Calling them isn’t much better, I can’t understand half of them. Logistically this costs ebay sod all but costs me or my staff a great deal of time, usually with no end result. Their customer service is appalling, without a shadow of a doubt the absolute worst of any company I have ever dealt with. If we offered our customers that same level of service we would all be on 50% feedback.

• Jack Smith
      4 months ago

Call center salaries in the Philippine are hardly pennies per hour, starts at more like a pound a hour.

Likewise the backhaul costs of a phone call from the UK to Philippines will be pennies an hour the cost of the 0800 access will be considerably more.

• northumbrian
    4 months ago

around 15 years ago ebay under charged fees ,they wrote off large amounts and took interest free monthly payments on many more accounts

• Mark Hetherington
      4 months ago

I only ever remember one such incident. It might have been “large amounts” to them in total but it was a minor amount for most sellers. They have more than made up for it since in many ways.

• northumbrian

we scored for around £1000
      at that time it was a big deal to us,
      were not ebay lovies
      most things ebay that can go wrong have done
      though we make lots of money from ebay so we take the pain

• Mark Hetherington
    4 months ago

Jack, the average agency wage in the Philippines starts at around 30p an hour and call centre staff are more or less bottom of the pile. It’s pretty much unregulated too.

As for 0800 “backhaul costs”, that’s considerably less. Telecomms is my business, and from my time in sales I can assure you that the cost would be negligent. In fact it’s almost none existent as it uses VoiP, which virtually eliminates call costs. A company the size of ebay are unlikely to have been paying more than around 20p per operator per hour.

Foreign call centres are ridiculously cheap to implement, that’s why many of the major companies now do it – even the mobile networks, and that should tell you something.

• Mark Hetherington
      4 months ago

Sorry, “negligent” should have read “negligible”.

• 4 months ago

I noticed under the seller hub overview today eBay have removed the link for the current month’s fees and replaced it with ‘Growth Summary’! That is very sneaky as customers might not notice what is occurring now. Rather than have the charges on the first screen you view you now have to go down to the bottom left and look under account summary.

That seems a little underhand.

• Mark Hetherington
      4 months ago

What, you think that might be deliberate? Surely not! eBay wouldn’t do a thing like that would they? That’s just an amazing coincidence that the link happened to be moved at the same time as there is a glitch on people’s accounts surely?

• 4 months ago

All fixed here and all charges refunded.

• 4 months ago

ebay has failed to not contact sellers about gallery plus fees,as I found the error myself.

my gallery plus fees are still building up,even after some were refunded.

I feel sorry for the sellers that are not aware of this bug and got debited on the 15 of june.

• 4 months ago

I’ve had 2 refunds for multiple gallery plus charges and they are still building up so it looks like a regular call for a bit.

An announcement and some reassurance of refunds doesn’t take a lot but needs to be done.

Tamebay Guide

Welcome to our Tamebay Guide. Companies listed in the directory represent the leading suppliers in the UK and Europe.
Whether you are buying new or used, plain or luxurious, commonplace