Embedding video into eBay listings without Active Content

By Dan Wilson March 17, 2017 - 6:37 am

We wrote recently about the use of videos on eBay listings and how you will be able to continue using them even when the new Active Content rules comes into force in the Summer. Find the article here: What about videos and the new eBay Active Content rules?

There was a little confusion on what sellers would need to do to continue using videos in listings. But hep is at hand.

Jim Griffith, known to many as Uncle Griff, has worked for eBay for many years and is active in the seller community and has clarified the situation with a posting on Facebook. You likely have an account and so can access the full information here.

But here’s the gist of what he says: “Starting in June, eBay will start blocking the display of active content in item descriptions. The listings themselves will still be accessible to buyers but any added features that use active content (for example, Flash, Javascript, iframes etc) will not display.

The big question on many sellers’ minds is “How do I embed a YouTube video into my description?” YouTube’s current embed code will not work on eBay (it uses iframes and they are not supported inside an eBay description).

There is a way using eBay compliant-HTML 5.0 tags for “object”

Here is the block of HTML code that we will use to embed a video into a current listing:

<div style=”text-align: center;”><object data=”paste_URL_here” type=”text/html” width=”420″ height=”315″></object></div>

So,the good news is that you can continue to use videos using HTML5. But how big a task is it going to be for you to amend your listings?

• jimmy riddles
    1 week ago

great stuff thank you

• Neil
    1 week ago

No code, just a quotation mark?

• 1 week ago

Sorry – Dan posted the code which included a few < 's and >‘s and of course WordPress tried to render it and failed. I’ve edited them to &lt; and &gt; so that they display instead of render.

And just to make life harder I had to edit this comment and put in &amp;lt; to get it to display &lt; grr :-)

• Dave
    1 week ago

no code??

• Adrian
    1 week ago

The code from his post is here:

• Danny
    1 week ago

Someone didn’t ready this article before hitting that post button…. tut tut

• 1 week ago

I’ve tried the above solution within the currently disclosed method of blocking active content (<iframe src=”ebay_hosted_listing.html” sandbox=”allow-popups allow-popups-to-escape-sandbox”></iframe>) and I’m afraid that embedded YouTube video still doesn’t work on the latest versions of Google Chrome and Firefox.

It seems that “allow-scripts” is the parameter that unlocks the “object” tag – and they won’t add this.

My guess is that Jim Griffith might have got it wrong this time.

Maybe eBay will change the blocking method?

• 1 week ago

Hi Folks,

I haven’t had a chance to test this yet but it may be useful:

• james
      1 week ago

nope, it embeds an iframe, that wouldnt have worked before these new changes, let alone after.

• Steve
    5 days ago

Can I suggest that TameBay change their styling for hyperlinks, grey hyperlinks against grey text is not the easiest to spot.

Or at least underline links?

• Rick
    4 days ago

I have the code for eBay figured out and it works. I have a picture of the code at this link.

Trouble is, you need to host your videos somewhere and I can’t find anywhere to host them that doesn’t use a public link to share. And that’s a lot of listings for me to change.

• Though far from ideal will eBay permit a link to say your product video on YouTube put on the listing just as that? The URL and nothing more.