Amazon just keep suckering me back to spend more money!

By Chris Dawson January 25, 2017 - 2:27 pm

It’s a cold miserable day and I just want hot soup for lunch. As normal there’s none in the house but a quick run down to the shop and 95p later I’m back home with a tin of Heinz Cream of Tomato with Basil (yum!). Then it struck me, why am I paying shop prices when Amazon Pantry sell Heinz soup at just 50p a tin?

Obviously while swilling my soup I popped an Amazon Pantry order together and was pleasantly surprised to find that they’ve upped the delivery stakes yet again. Whereas it used to be a 48 hour delivery, Amazon now appear to be offering next day delivery in my area for Amazon Pantry orders.

Amazon also have their habitual offer of buying four qualifying products to get free delivery on the first box in your order saving the £2.99 delivery charge which naturally I took advantage of.

Amazon are starting to become an irreplaceable part of my life and each time I get used to their service it gets that little bit better. Faster Pantry delivery, better content on their TV offerings and Amazon Alexa is getting smarter (but that’s another blog post). It’s getting harder and harder not to spend money with them, not just because they make it too easy but it’s also just too darn convenient.

I don’t know what the answer is to Amazon’s inexorable march on my wallet, but all the time they’ll delivery soup for free for 50p a can, I’m finding it really hard to spend the money in Sainsbury’s, Tesco or Waitrose. It also means that while I and half the country are shopping on Amazon that’s where you want your products to be. And not just on Amazon but qualifying for Amazon Prime so that I don’t reject them before I even see them.

How are your Amazon sales? Are they still growing and are you using FBA to qualify your products for Prime delivery?

• Ifellow
    11 months ago

Paid articles getting less subtle. Tone it down 20 per cent and you’d be on the money.

• 11 months ago

I’m happy to confirm that Heinz did not pay for or sponsor this post

• Andy R
    11 months ago

Product placement has taken over on Tamebay.

Have to take every article with a pinch of salt (delivered by Amazon Pantry, of course).

• no more high st

no the wonder downtown newbury has at least 10 charity shops
    some of them could be mistaken for main stream outlets the fittings and decor are so modern and expensive
    SUPPORT LOCAL BUSINESS SHOP LOCAL

• 11 months ago

Are you in Newbury and didn’t give me a shout to meet for a coffee? 😮

• twilight zone
      11 months ago

or a pint in the slug and lettuce

next time I promise

• 11 months ago

Look forward to it. Just let me know when you’re planning to be in the area 🙂

• Stuart
    11 months ago

I am struggling to see how this is a paid article.

What I would say is how long is Amazon going to stay in business selling 50p tin’s of soup with free delivery.

Supermarkets estimate that online orders cost them £25 each.

Amazon seem to be on the rampage to destroy everyone else, the reason, they can put prices sky high when they don’t have any competition left.

• SpreadTheLove
    11 months ago

Amazon can undercut everybody because of their sheer size, loose interpretation of paying taxes, low wages to staff including delivery drivers and disregard of their supplier’s wellbeing. They are also willing to make a loss on parts of their business whilst their web services push up the profits in order to drive out competition. End game is they will push businesses to close, create less competition in the market and eventually push prices up. I am guilty of using Amazon because like many others I am lazy and want to pay less money for my goods. But long term this isn’t going to be good for anybody but Amazon. Supporting your local shops is better for the economy in the long run not to mention the environmental and health impacts of ordering a can of soup from a remote distribution centre rather than walking to the shops. If we want an economy and environment that we are proud for our children to inherit then we need to shop responsibly. I’ll be reducing my Amazon purchases in the future for these reasons.

• Dave
      11 months ago

The local shop had to have that can of soup delivered too – theres no real environmental difference when the can has to be transported from Heinzs factory to your physical location in both scenarios.

• Bob
      11 months ago

Well it comes down to scale I suppose and maybe the lesser of two evils. The can has gone to the local shop via a wholesaler delivery, along with the rest of that shop’s deliveries and others in the area. Amazon are sending out many, many more vans every day to individual locations. It all adds up. But the main worry for me is their monopoly over our wallets and minds. It’s often worth shopping around for items that you assume will be cheaper on Amazon, walking into Waterstone’s the other day I bought a book that was 50p dearer than Amazon but instantly available and a much better shopping experience. There will be social impacts on doing all our purhcasing online too. And I’m an ecommerce manager! It all comes down to balance for me, spread the moeny around, don’t rely on one shop, interact with humans and shop locally where possible.

• Beecee
      11 months ago

Some times Amazon isn’t cheaper or better.
      I’ve been a customer of it since 1998 and sold on it since 2013. Somethings are cheaper afterall its a marketplace. Having a Prime sub is very tantalising. Bought some office items the other day, one item wasn’t the what I’d expected, so its Viking next time but they have a £30 min for free delivery which prompted me to order this time. But you cannot beat it for some things like this Fire tab (I’m writing this with it) with a 16GB card and decent case for approx £50 incl, as they used to say north of the border ‘ye cannot whack it’. After 46 years of biz I’m impressed.
      BC
      ps the CO-OP has as a FreeFrom tom soup for £.55p pas mal

• Chris
    11 months ago

Wow! Didn’t expect this sort of trash on Tamebay! Perhaps it would be best if you dont send me any more emails if you are in Amazon’s pocket.

• James
    11 months ago

This is quite an amusing article considering the context.

Chances are it is a paid article or some sort of product placement. This is fine, Tamebay has just as much right to make money as we do.

The content of the article doesn’t really fit in with its subscribers though. Most of us are e-commerce sellers and most of us aren’t overly fond of Amazon competing against its sellers. You won’t convince (smart) people to sell on Amazon by telling them that Amazon sell everything.

Unless your target audience for this article is the non-business minded “want to try my very first business type”…. in which case this article seems to be written for a teenager.

• Bob

• Steve P
    11 months ago

Walking around a supermarket pushing a heavy trolley is much healthier than just going to your door.. and you even get the added bonus of interacting with real people, in the real world.

The real world is out there.. Go on… Don’t be afraid.. You can do it..

• Bob
    11 months ago

Well I’ve had two of my posts deleted on this topic. Freedom of speech huh?!

• Dave
      11 months ago

I thought this the other day too Bob, turns out refreshing the page can make it look like your post isn’t there, only for it to appear later on. Give it a bit of time and see if you’re still being censored! 😉

• Bob
      11 months ago

Yes, apologies on my behalf, no conspiracy thankfully! I now have generated two posts with the same content. Doh.

• 10 months ago

As a buyer, I rarely buy anything on Amazon, I just don’t find it that cheap, I usually find it cheaper on Ebay

As a seller, I get better prices for my items on Amazon than I do on Ebay

Tesco is, a two minute walk for me and they were selling my favourite Oxtail soup for just 50p a can recently.

Nothing wrong with Newbury, I was over there last week for a few drinks

Tamebay Guide

Welcome to our Tamebay Guide. Companies listed in the directory represent the leading suppliers in the UK and Europe.
Amazon started as online book store and has grown to be the worlds