Reported delays at French customs

By Dan Wilson December 8, 2016 - 10:31 pm

We’ve received reports of significant delays at French customs that are hampering the delivery of items from the UK to France.

One seller informs us that they have been informed by La Poste that there could be as much as a 4 week backlog of incoming parcels at Charles de Gaulle Airport in Paris. We’ve been unable to verify this, so would be interested to hear if you’re suffering a similar problem and seeing delays.

Our correspondent says that they have 7 parcels in the backlog and Paypal has already started refunding buyers complaining that they haven’t received the goods.

Are you experiencing anything similar with despatches to France? We’d love to hear from you.

• steve
    8 months ago

No, but have had some very long delays in customs in Spain and Italy this week that have led to a few very frustrated customers.

Seems strange and hopefully not the shape of things to come post-Brexit?

• BFT
      8 months ago

I’ve had so many problems with Italy recently – “Lost” items, delays etc. I have had to refund far too much money that, after a quick calculation, I have actually lost money trading in Italy this year. I have now added Italy to destinations I do not ship to – its just not worth the aggro.

• 8 months ago

Yes, we have had a package held up in France for 2 weeks now and 1 in Spain.

• Russell
    8 months ago

Royal Mail were being very slow last week after the Black Friday / Cyber Monday rush.

Many of our items posted took a week to be delivered, this week seems back to normal

• Michael
    8 months ago

Had a ‘item not posted on time’ today from France so must have been held up. It was posted within 2 hours of the order. Can’t ebay change it to ‘item not received on time’ which sounds a little less condescending.

• Steve
    8 months ago

I have had that many problems selling on eBay in the last few months I have given up selling and feel better for it eBay is a scammers paradise they should rename the site Freebay

• 7 months ago

We’re the seller Dan’s referring to, we’ve got 6 still stuck there and now 3 in Italy too.

The one that was at CDG airport customs for nearly 4 weeks has now been delivered so that customer has a £90 item for free, which eBay is refusing to get involved with reimbursing us with as it was ‘delivered outside OUR delivery timeframe’.

I’m going to fight the ones that are refunded, it’s simply not right that us sellers burden all the responsibility, the post office won’t entertain a refund either because this £90 one was delivered ‘within 28 days’, it might be about time that eBay, Paypal and the post office align their time-frames to sort this rubbish out.

Cheers.

Noel

• Nigel
    7 months ago

I’ve had around 40 orders go missing. All from November 20th onwards.

I’m getting around 3 emails a day from various french buyers. Multiple negative feedbacks, Many replacements sent, and a couple of A-Z claims.

I’ll be lucky if my french Amazon account survives and really don’t appreciate having to do this while I’m on holiday.

I don’t think i will continue selling to France next year.

• Jonah
    7 months ago

We too are impacted with French parcels stuck in customs at Charles De Gaul airport. Why aren’t eBay acting to protect our accounts? How the hell can I as a seller influence anything at French Customs? It’s totally out of our control,it seems as though these parcels are eventually delivered- there will be many delighted customers who will have received their goods for free as we have to refund to protect our accounts. Truly awful.

• Patricia Clarke
    7 months ago

I posted a parcel to France on 28th November. Arrived in France on 30th according to the tracking. It still hasn’t been delivered. These are presents for children. Supposedly it should have been delivered in 3 to 5 days according to Royal Mail. It is so frustrating. How soon do we need to post to guarantee delivery before Christmas!!