Onbuy introduce commission only selling plan

By Chris Dawson December 22, 2016 - 8:30 am

We’ve heard loud and clear from Tamebay readers that, whilst they like the idea of an new competitor to eBay and Amazon, they don’t like the idea of supporting a site with a monthly fee while it’s growing. OnBuy have also heard you as they are introducing a new service tier to support smaller sellers with no monthly commitment.

Cas Paton, managing director of OnBuy, explained saying “We have listened carefully to feedback from some of the smaller sellers who don’t want to pay a monthly fee that may absorb a large portion of their profits”.

Today OnBuy has launched “Onbuy Basic Seller” in response to feedback from customers. OnBuy basic sellers pay no subscription fee at all, and OnBuy charges a selling fee of just 6%.

OnBuy is continuing to offer their no commission £49-a-month subscription for the majority of sellers, as well as its premium no commission £89-a-month subscription for managed sellers. Sellers signing up to be an “OnBuy Seller” and paying the £49-a-month subscription pay no commission fees, as well as API access.

Sellers can also upgrade to become an “OnBuy Managed Seller” and pay the £89-a-month subscription, which includes no commission fees, API access, advertising opportunities, prominent placement and tailored account management and support from the OnBuy team.

OnBuy is growing every week and has already signed up sellers offering 2.4m product lines since its launch at the beginning of November.

• Mark
    9 months ago

Great move on behalf of OnBuy. One of the things many sellers don’t like about Amazon and eBay is that they’re never listened to!

I’ll probably take a look at loading inventory in early January and see what happens.

• 9 months ago

We look forward to welcoming you on-board

OnBuy Team

• 9 months ago

Fair play to OnBuy. What they are setting out to do is tough and it says a lot that they’ve adjusted the offerring following the feedback they got.

Best of luck to OnBuy. As soon as the API is settled let us know.

• 9 months ago

Hi Alex

Thank you for the message. Please drop our seller team and email at sellerteam@onbuy.com as our API is now ready for sellers to use. It will have to be early Jan now, however, for issuing new API accounts.

OnBuy Team

• Kevin Thomas
    9 months ago

Well I’ve just tried to sign up and the only options it’s offering me are £49 or £89 per month.

• 9 months ago

Hi All

The new account is being uploaded this afternoon.

OnBuy Team

• James
    9 months ago

Good. Well done.

I understand why Onbuy had the subscription model (to prevent an influx of sellers they might have struggled to handle)

I think this is a great move and hope they have the systems in place to handle what will hopefully be a spike in subscriptions.

I hate dealing with Amazon and Ebay they really treat their sellers with contempt. I pay £100k + commissions a year and I get treated better by companies I spend less than £1000 a year with.

I will be looking this Christmas.

• James
      9 months ago

Oh I must also add that I reckon Onbuy have at most 1-3 years to get this working and hope that they get their capital/investment funding right.

I expect that Jet.com may potentially enter the market at some point as Walmart increases its global ecommerce ambition.

Etsy might slowly open up as they mature.

Perhaps they’re working towards an acquisition model 😉 but I think the UK only has space for 3 general marketplaces and a few niches.

• 9 months ago

Hi James

We look forward to bringing you on-board

OnBuy

• SAM
    9 months ago

Just got an email about this, I am on the £49plus VAT plan. If you are a small seller just under £83k like me it is £58.
    Now 6% plus STRIPE still brings it just under my eBay fees 8% plus PayPal. If they get the sales I would stay on the £49 plan.
    Now with the £500 of boosted listings having a 3% charge which I have, problem is there is No one for me to BOOST against.
    I think giving the choice is good and should attract some more sellers.
    I think the biggest hurdle will be changing the British buyer’s mindset.
    Am going to give it one more month on the £49 plan if nothing I will drop it for 6%. Am at £145 on sub fees now before I actually SELL a thing over ebay, onBuy and Amazon.

• 9 months ago

Hi SAM

Obviously, we want all sellers to be in a subscription as we want sellers to attract mass sales, and benefit from no selling fees. We’ve delivered this package to enable other sellers to “take the risk” and then grow to a subscription. The “basic” account isn’t a long term aspiration, more a short term necessity to entice more sellers at this stage.

As for your boost credit; Boost isn’t for competing with other people on your listings, it is used to earn prominence on the OnBuy site (homepage, higher search positions etc.) but ALSO is used to power Google shopping, affiliate programs and push the product to additional sales channels.

It’s highly recommended that you boost.

Please remember you only pay the boost fee if the boost is the cause of the sale. If a customer browses the site and buys your product, it will not earn a boost fee. Only if boost causes you to win the product or is the source of “finding” the listing.

We hope that this helps.

OnBuy Team

• Alan T
    9 months ago

OnBuy are listening today….I just hope that they continue to listen to sellers even when they are big (unlike Amazon and especially eBay)

• 9 months ago

Hi Alan

If it makes sense, we will listen. We’re committed to supporting sellers as much as we can.

OnBuy Team

• David S
    9 months ago

OnBuy….are you doing any TV/Video ads to boost traffic to the site?

• 9 months ago

Hi David

You bet! We are sponsoring YouTube next year and also marketing on ITV both regionally (broadcast) and some on-demand services.

We are very much committed to the success of the project, and hoping that sellers can help us to help them; if sellers price keen we can draw a healthy chunk of the crowd to move to OnBuy, to at least check price – that’s our marketing message.

That’ll help us win some market-share – and sellers can make more margin!

OnBuy Team

• Sam
    9 months ago

Just signed up for the basic seller level now. How do I get the format for the CSV to upload inventory ATM?

Have made some comments about onbuy’s entry level on some seller forums I am active on.

Tamebay Guide

Welcome to our Tamebay Guide. Companies listed in the directory represent the leading suppliers in the UK and Europe.
OnBuy is a British marketplace that allows sellers to list products