Royal Mail exceeds delivery targets

By Chris Dawson November 16, 2016 - 10:29 am

Royal Mail Delivery ConfirmationRoyal Mail’s latest Quality of Service report reveals that it has beaten its regulatory First Class and Second Class delivery targets for the first half of the 2016-17 financial year.

93.4% of First Class mail was delivered the next working day by Royal Mail against a target of 93% and they beat their Second Class mail target of 98.5%, delivering 98.9% within three working days. However Royal Mail did miss their Special Delivery target delivering 98.6& of Special Delivery items on time against a target of 99%.

Sue Whalley, Chief Operations Officer at Royal Mail said pf the results: “Our postmen and women work extremely hard to deliver to some of the most demanding Quality of Service standards in the whole of Europe. We remain the only UK delivery company to publish our Quality of Service and we are proud to do so“.

• BFT
    7 months ago

I wonder how accurate Royal Mail’s figures are. I assume that they include claims for items “lost” in the post in their figures for late deliveries.
    I am sure that I am not the only one who does not bother to claim for items lost in the post (due to all the obstacles they put in the way and their general reluctance to pay out appropriate compensation, as well as the time it all takes). Therefore, I would imagine that their real figures for on time deliveries may not be quite as rosy as they make out.

• Jon
    7 months ago

I’ll second that BFT! Royal Mail customer support are an extremely rude & arrogant bunch. If you catch them out they just hang up on you. The claims process is designed to make your hair fall out. It’s just not worth the aggro. I have not made a claim for years. The last time I did claim I was promised a measly book of stamps which never actually arrived. Possibly the worst Customer Service ever.

• Russell
    7 months ago

At present I would not consider using another service, we post around 6-800 items a month and our customers are very impressed with how quick the items arrive.

We currently lose 1/200 (0.5%) packages we send in the post by RM, which is not too bad.

RM claims do not provide the service they used to, but we put our claims in once a month and whilst they may take a while to process, we do get paid.

Make sure you use the bulk claim form and send in all documentation by email:

1. Claim form in xls format
    2. Proof of posting
    3. Invoice of sold item
    4. Customer communication for lost item
    5. Invoice from supplier showing your cost

Then wait…. In time you get a credit note to your account.

• TINKER
      7 months ago

the very fact you submit a claims form once a month
      speaks volumes
      lost mail causes admin and hassle that far out weighs its value

• SAM
      7 months ago

We are the same, it is a process designed to put you of and when I have ever phoned the customer service agents they are dreadful.
      Anything under 10 days they send out these p91 forms and if they do not come back they just ignore you. I think the lack of responsibility they take with the service they offer is shocking.
      The thing is far too many are not claiming so the truth is it is not a clear picture.
      We would not get away with treating customers when things go wrong like they do.
      I think the front line guys are totally let down by the back office and senior management.
      You can’t beat the price so you have no choice but to use them. Their ability or more like lack of willing to deal with issues is what get’s me. Lucky if we end up getting credit back for 25% of things. I also do not think they deal with mail fraud and are sticking their heads in the sand here.

• Andy R
    7 months ago

Post 10 items back to yourself from the next town by first class post.

You will get between 5 and 7 delivered next day, the rest arriving over the follwing three days.

Try it for yourself.

There must be a lot of massaging of these figures.

In any case, even if the RM target is met, it still wouldn’t meet Ebay’s crackpot on-time delivery metric.

• Toofpick
      7 months ago

These figures are collected independently and not by Royal Mail. Therefore they aren’t fudged. I’m going to bet you’ve never tried posting 10 items to yourself aswell

• TINKER

we have nothing lost using royalmail in the last 12 month
    now 3 items missing in action this week,
    is it the start of the Christmas cock up season ?

• Russell
    7 months ago

Personally I did not think that the loss of 1/200 was that bad a service and do not find it causes too much extra admin or hassle, of course, I would rather it did not happen.

The loss could possibly be less, if one or two people are not just saying the item did not arrive.

So everybody else has a perfect courier service they use that never lose or damages a single packet and always delivers on time.

Who are these magnificent courier / mail service companies? Be proud to name who you use if they are so great…

Delivery times: We only use 2nd class and sometimes find that people have given us feedback before we expected the item to arrive.

Ebay: We do not have a problem with Ebay’s on-time delivery metric.

• TINKER
      7 months ago

we all know mistakes and loss are inevitable
      we all loose and break things ,
      its how royal mail handles claims is the rub

• james
    7 months ago

we ship about 200-250 orders a day via eBay and about 50 via amazon mostly large letter non tracked
    we find that at least 5 a week claim to have “not received”
    not sure why its such a high number if any one could maybe enlighten makes you wonder if your not using the 2D barcode then they seemed to be “misplaced”

• TINKER

we have lost more using the 2d bar code
      my hermes is having a serious coat of looking at

• Andy R
    7 months ago

I’ve said it before – the % of items not received varies according to which platform they were sold on.

As a % of sold items, ten times more items are not received on Ebay than via our website or any other channel we sell through.

For sixteen years, reported losses are 2% on Ebay, compared to 0.2% anywhere else.

Same items.
    Same postal service.
    Even many of the customers are the same.

The encouragement to claim refunds on Ebay is to entirely to blame.

Interesting to note Ebay don’t even count it as a defect now, if you refund a claim without intervention.

Keep quiet and pay up and Ebay will leave you alone is the message they want you to get.

• 7 months ago

Exactly the same with us, I can’t actually remember an INR on our sites in the last month, a dozen or more on eBay.

• steve
    7 months ago

I don’t believe RM’s figures for one minute, and I would call to question just how independent this is. When are they going to report on the amount of Signed-for services that actually arrive on time, and get a signature? that service is tantamount to fraud.

• Adrian