What is Amazon Dash? It’s launching in the UK.

By Dan Wilson September 1, 2016 - 1:21 am

Screen Shot 2016-09-01 at 00.58.21

Amazon Dash is launching in the the UK. But what is it?

Basically it means that you can now order your washing powder, cat food, nappies and condoms at the click of a wifi button. The future is now.
Screen Shot 2016-09-01 at 01.00.26

It’s all about Amazon staking its claims to buying your essentials and adding value to the Amazon Prime proposition. If you’re nearly close to running out of a key product and you have the dash device, all you need do is click it and your next supply is on its way. You pay £4.99 for a clickable device and when you’re in need of new suppose you get a new box of this or that as part of the Amazon promise.

We wrote about Amazon Dash in detail here on Tamebay when it was launched Stateside.

Do you think this could be a challenger in the UK?

• james
    1 year ago

i still have trouble believing this is real.
    I mean there’s a play-doh button in your image?
    is that a necessity? do i run out of play-doh so often that this button is a wise investment? will it save me enough time over my life to justify the £5?
    no. even if every purchase of play-doh i make in my life is via that one button, it’s still not a good move.

is it even meant for adults? or do amazon just know every kid that sees the play-doh button will click the play-doh button? (and the daz button, and dog food button, cos it’s a button, it’s to be pressed)

if the retailers were footing the bill and sending these out free, then maybe, for the sheer gimickyness, you might try it once. but this is not the future. not by a long shot.
    – take it to its logical conclusion; your house is now a button factory, with every inch of wall covered by buttons, and you now cant find the button you need to order the one item you actually require…. if only someone could invent a device that lets you order anything on amazon, without the need for all these expensive space-consuming single-purpose buttons…..

• Joe
      1 year ago

You don’t have to justify the £5 because you get your money back once you’ve made your first order, so in effect it’s free.

I’d use it if they had something I needed and buy regularly, which they haven’t.

What they should do is make a customisable one for stuff you actually want to buy.

• james
      1 year ago

well if it’s free….
      and… i had a look, you get a notification on your app, so you know if a methhead or small child has been (pun intended) pushing your buttons….
      and it’s just so damn gimmicky….

screw it! i needs me a play-doh on demand button!

and the staff canteen needs a biscuit button!

• Steve
    1 year ago

I am afraid it is real and I can see it taking off

• Michael Hasted
    1 year ago

Do you get a truck load of whatever it is if you press it like someone on crystal meth. 🙂

• Steve
    1 year ago

It would work for a couple or someone living on their own its through prime so delivery is included as long as the prices are keen.

I would use it if I could stop the wife and kids been click happy

• 1 year ago

At some point in the near future, a parent with child will appear in the national press, with arms folded and looking grumpy, because the child got hold of the Dash button and managed to order £100s of whatever.

Rather than accept parental responsibilty, Amazon will be to blame. Parent will be disgusted. Christmas will have been cancelled. Overdrafts breached. etc.

Can’t wait!

• james
    1 year ago

in the not too distant future…..

“well this date is going well i think.”
    “yes. i’ve had a wonderful time….”
    -*click*-
    “what was that?”
    “nothing… just listen out for a drone approaching.”

condom button. smooth.

• james
      1 year ago

a few years later, little timmy found the condom button, and amazon had to chinook a 20ft container of durex ultra-ribbed into the back garden.

• Steve
    1 year ago

Guess we need to get rid of computers mobile phones tablets etc just in case some kid orders the world by pressing buttons.

I am sure safeguards will be in place to stop these sort of mishaps for all we know the system may require or have a safety feature of a confirmation email system before the order is processed.

• Mark
      1 year ago

You can only have one of each item on order at the same time. Multiple presses would not result in multiple deliveries.

• Robert C
    1 year ago

This is providing a solution to a problem that just is not there. I didn’t realise domestic stock management was such a bind.

I’m sure some people will buy these but it’s definitely not for me… I’ve never been confused by having to write a shopping list.

I would file the Dash button idea away with Amazon delivery drones; surely nobody truly thinks that it will materialise into a success… its only purpose is to show the world that the Amazon brand is innovative and forward thinking