eBay selling limits: Everything you need to know

By Chris Dawson August 25, 2016 - 1:21 pm

TrustA large number of Tamebay readers have been interested in selling limits, citing sales being throttled, rolling black outs and any number of reasons why their sales have stalled.

There were some interesting comments such as the people who always seem to sell roughly the same monetary value each month. Others claim to see strange sales patterns such as only selling the first two days of the week or no change if they don’t list any new products.

We asked eBay what the heck was going on and after a ton of phone calls and emails here’s what we now know:

Are there limits on my eBay account

Selling limits are very much a real thing and eBay are not shy about mentioning them on their help pages and in the Seller Centre. If you want to know about eBay Seller Limits then there is a ton of detailed information.

There are several different rationales for limits:

• Because you are a new seller and eBay do not know much about you
  • Because your seller performance is poor causing lots of bad buying experiences
  • You are not complying with eBay policies and guidelines, eBay see you engaged in risky behaviour and your account is getting restricted

eBay Statement on Selling Limits

eBay have been kind enough to provide the following information:

In some cases, this system will promptly trigger limits on a seller’s ability to list, for example when fraud or counterfeit is suspected. While generally referred to as “limits,” these are crucial controls that add a vital layer of protection for our community. Any time these limits are applied, sellers are notified when they list— (if not before).

It’s important to keep in mind that the overwhelming majority of current eBay sellers are not impacted by selling limits of any kind.

If you do receive a notification of a selling limit and would like to understand why—or believe it’s in error and would like to request to have it removed—just contact our eBay customer support team.

How do limits work?

We’ve checked, double checked and gone back to ask once again and have good news for you. The only selling limits you will ever see on your account will be quantity or value listing limits. eBay may at times restrict your ability to list either by quantity, the total monetary value of items, or the category you wish to list in, but they won’t hide live items from sale.

Specifically Best Match is eBay’s default sort order for search results. Limits is not a factor considered in Best Match. eBay’s best match search algorithm does not consider a Seller’s Limits nor does eBay funnel sales to a seller or group of sellers by adjusting either a seller’s limits, best match results, or both.

I’ve been around eBay long enough to know that conspiracy theories abound, but the truth of it is that it would be too technically demanding for eBay to check how close you are to a selling limit and decide on the fly when a buyer searches for a product to show yours and then thirty seconds later decide to hide your product because you’d just made a sale. Frankly eBay just aren’t going to try and program this.

The majority of sellers are unaffected by selling limits

Most sellers will never see a selling limit. Sure if you suddenly try to sell 15 pieces of Louis Vuitton luggage at £1000 a pop when traditionally you’ve been selling two quid mobile phone accessories it will almost certainly triger alarm bells.

If you just go about your normal day to day selling you’ll probably be unaffected by limits and hardly aware that they exist, except when you hear the few who are impacted complaining.

Everything you need to know about eBay selling limits in three sentences

So to round everything we know about limits up: You may at times be subject to limits which restrict your listing ability but once something is listed it’ll be in Best Match available for sale.

eBay do not throttle your sales, at most they’ll throttle your ability to list.

Most sellers won’t ever trade in such a way that they’re affected by limits.

• james
    1 year ago

well done chasing this up Chris, but we’re not complaining about advertised limits, we’re complaining about the hidden, illegal, limits ebay deny everything about, even though we are all affected.

we know they’re at it.
    you know they’re at it.
    they know they’re at it.
    if they admit it, they’ll all go to jail.

• james
      1 year ago

there’s a well known car thief round my end.
      he’s know as Tim the Thief.
      when you ask him “Tim the Thief, are you a car thief”?
      he categorically says no, then nicks your Astra.
      Dont take criminals at their word.

• Andy R
    1 year ago

There is a much simpler answer to this.

Sellers’ sales drop off at times because the Ebay system is down or partially down, preventing buyers from logging in or completing checkout.

We’re not talking total outages, just an inability to log in or a frustratingly slow system that puts buyers off.

To suggest Ebay is actively limiting sellers with “quotas” is to give credit for something they’re not even capable of doing, even if they wanted to.

They’re too inept.

• 1 year ago

Yep, the classic oh wait is it near the end of the work week and something does not work on eBay? Yep then they must be doing maintenance. Friday’s always has been the day where eBay is broken or slow.

• Chris
    1 year ago

This is what we already know though Chris.
    If people (sellers) are doing fraudulent things then yes, totally agree that people should be limited.

How can you sell the same quantity each week/month?
    trying new campaigns, free postage, deals, lots new inventory etc etc etc.

It doesn’t add up.

• Ian T
    1 year ago

Overall well done for taking the time and effort in taking ebay to task over this but I do wish you had been brave enough to title the article “Are eBay using hidden selling limits?” or something to that effect.

By posing a question rather than stating fact you would also be covering yourself from a legal standpoint if eBay did come calling over the article. Having a blue tick verification symbol as the article picture further confuses the issue. A red circle with a line through it would be much more appropriate for what I know many sellers are now experiencing.

My sales used to be frequent with the best day of the week being Sunday but now I can go hours without a sale and then a few arrive within half an hour and then nothing for hours again and weekends? Forget about it. Without fail a washout every weekend for the past 14 months. My sales and seller fees have been almost identical now for the past few months with a tiny spike over Christmas. Fortunately I successfully use other sales platforms as well and ebay is the only one that returns such sporadic results despite it being one of the two largest worldwide marketplaces on the web.

If – and I say “if” the selling limits theory is proved at some stage then surely eBay could be looking at potentially the largest fine in corporate history.

• Neil
    1 year ago

Utter rubbish, you’ve once again swallowed the corporate line.

About time someone started a ‘new tamebay’ which stops the backside licking that has become synonymous with this site which is now, for all intents and purposes, redundant.

• lieN
      1 year ago

Utter statement from eBay that Tamebay are just feeding back to us.

They’re just passing on what eBay said.

1 year ago

Here is a quick calculation look at your dashboard sales graph divide the 90 day sales figure by 90 then multiply by 7 how close is it to your 7 day figure mine is within 2%

Coincidence or not your guess ?

I have halved my listings in the last month no change in sales average how strange

1 year ago

Remember the eBay employee who posted this below on the USA community boards and eBay deleted it and then denied all knowledge.

There are several types of limits that sellers may experience when selling:
    • Site Wide Limits (SWL, referred to as “selling limits”)
    • Silent limits (limits placed on an account that can’t be seen by the seller)
    • URC limits (User Risk Code, limits reduced or placed on an account due to concerns)
    • Category limits
    • BTAC limits (Building Trust by Reducing Counterfeits, for branded items)
    • Hot item limits
    • Multi-Account limits
    • Velocity limits
    • feedback limits

All sellers on the site will experience at least one type of selling limit when selling on the site. These limits are in place to:
    • Reduce fraud and circumvention on the site
    • Ensure sellers can successfully manage their sales
    • Ensure sellers are increasing volume at a manageable pace
    • Ensure sellers can meet the expectations of buyers.

————————————————————————————————————–

• Andy R
    1 year ago

Why are all these moaners only selling on Ebay?

If you’re any good in business, you will not be limiting your selling to one site.

Any issues with drop offs in sales on Ebay are due to one or more of the following:

– Problems with buyers accessing Ebay and / or your listings due to persistent intermittent Ebay system problems.

– Problems with the checkout preventing buyers from completing purchases, even once they’ve managed to get onto Ebay.

– Problems with Ebay searches throwing up variable / crass / useless returns to buyers, due to a combination of system errors and stupid policies.

– Too many other people selling the same / similar things for less on Ebay and elsewhere

– No buyers out there at times – they’ve all f****d off to Amazon / Etsy / AN Other site, due to the problems accessing Ebay.

If you only sell on Ebay, you get exactly what you deserve.

Diversify your selling, use Ebay to drive sales to your own site or other selling platforms.

1 year ago

How can you account for someone who quadruples their number of listings but only gets about a 10% increase in monthly sales volume, despite around 50% of those listings being the cheapest price found on a worldwide search from the uk ?
      In addition, have you ever read some of the ebay.com posts from sellers in the states who can list masses of strange patterns with sales being restricted to only one particular area of the continent, despite that area perhaps being not the nearest, and so not the cheapest option for the buyer ?
      One seller even posted a link to an article where ebay had admitted switching some servers on and off to save money on fees, thus restricting certain sellers to certain areas only – this was a couple of years ago, and I lost the link when my computer stopped working.
      You obviously don’t believe in these hidden limits which is fine, it’s a free country after all, but a bit of time spent in quiet periods researching masses of threads and posts made me believe something just wasn’t right and all the oddities couldn’t be just coincidences.

• Mac
      1 year ago

Sam – can increase listings. Does not mean buyers will want them.
      Has to be the right stock – besr case wouod be adding one new product and getting 10 times the sales.
      Have had that happen.

• 1 year ago

That is certainly true but I would guess that every serious seller on ebay(and Hobby Sellers like myself) have a good idea what sales we should be able to expect from a particular item listed.

As an example I have a friendly relationship going back many years with a particular Publisher. One of their Books has a New Edition every year and always proves to be a Best Seller for me. The 2016 Edition was published a couple of months ago. The sales are awful for the 2016 edition(the comparable 2015 edition just flew off the shelves). So it is fair to assume that the potential sales for the 2015 and 2016 editions would be similar.

So I went looking for it. I found it buried behind second hand copies of previous editions and listings with post and packing charges(mine are post free). Also I was the only seller with the 2016 edition listed. So you will not be surprised that sales were very slow(or almost none).

I checked on other books that I have listed and a similar situation existed with several others. My customers have to be dedicated to find my listings. ebay really has decided to give me a really savage kicking. Yet as I said elsewhere I have enough in cash, bank accounts and investments to just not care. It really is like being attacked by a ferocious butterfly. So I really feel for others who rely on ebay and are going through the same kicking. As I said above if I was to stop selling on ebay and instead to start spending I probably do not have enough years ahead of me to spend it all. But I want to keep myself active and sell the accumulated stock I have from when I used to both Wholesale and Retail Specialist Books and in addition I am an Enthusiast and I sell mainly to fellow enthusiasts.

• Tonya
    1 year ago

I was just recently placed with limits of only 10 items a month after having good records and no chargebacks or negative feedback for over a year. Now suddenly I am hit with a selling limit? Sounds like a bunch of BS to me.

I was actually checking on how to sell more or bypass limits and some recommend going stealth. Even reading an article by Auction Essistance, they state you can sell nearly 3 times as much if you are hit with a low selling limits.

Is this true? Is it safe or even legal to do?

• 1 year ago

What about the EBAY EMPLOYEE who confirmed there is hidden limits? He posted it on the US forums (then it got deleted) He was an eBay “Pink” – so it was official.

My business is growing on my other 2 venues, just not eBay. Stale, same amount of sales each day nearly. No way to grow despite all the illusions of growth the community managers are messing with.

People can pretend eBay cannot do this, but I am going to listen to an eBay employee who actually works for the company.

Google “eBay Employee Reveals Secret “Hidden Limits”” and see for yourself.

1 year ago

I used to read the ebay.com boards daily, so remember many discussions around this topic – there was a post from someone who worked at a large company selling on ebay as well as their own website.
      This temporary employee saw that there was tons of traffic on the company’s own site, so asked the boss why they bothered paying ebay fees on sales, when they didn’t really need to.
      The reply was that ebay had guaranteed them either a minimum sales figure or minimum turnover in pounds/dollars, so why not take advantage of that….. the obvious point being that when sales were slow for them, ebay would then throttle some smaller competitors to enable the large company to meet their quota.

1 year ago

I was talking to a parts guy in a Premium Brand German car dealership about their eBay sales and asked why they do it and he told me the same guaranteed revenue for a fixed eBay fee.
      Nothing would surprise me with eBay just look at the state of the feedback on some of the outlets and yet they always sell plenty if a small player had the same poor feedback they would never get anywhere on best match to sell anything

1 year ago

stunned all this bollocks has not made the urban myth list
    If things dont sell we check our prices our pictures our competition
    first, then the dog gets the blame or the direction of the wind

• Keith
      1 year ago

How are you stunned? When an eBay EMPLOYEE posts an internal eBay file explaining the type of hidden limits – what more proof do you need that it is not a myth?

Also if you use multi channel software you will see it can sometimes throw codes “velocity limits” and “LVIS limits”. So it is accurate.

I can see why eBay DOES have limits (incase sometime lists iphones for £50 and runs with the money) that is fair enough, but these limits need to be more transparent or reviewed more frequently.

just one ebay employee??
      if this were not a myth much more evidence and many more employees would be blowing the whistle

1 year ago

how would ebay keep the lid on such a thing if it were true
      litigation and compensation claims would be rife, millions of sellers billions of products and sales. ebay cant get the basics right what chance something as involved and complicated as this

1 year ago

It’s not often I agree with you, but this is actually a good point, and probably the main reason the conspiracy theories have not gained universal acceptance.
      If the theories are true, and my personal belief is that they are, then the only solution to your question is that employees face the sack if they reveal anything, and the truth must be restricted to a very small number of people, who won’t say anything as it would mean they are unemployable after going public…… who would want a whistleblower on their management team ?
      As a comparison, it was suspected some years ago that staff in certain clothing stores wore items of stock whilst at work, but nobody spread it around as they would lose their jobs and perks.
      Slowly but surely the truth gets out, although the world moves on and by the time the truth is more widely accepted, things have changed so much that it becomes almost irrelevant.

1 year ago

lets be realistic here , this program if it exists is far more complicated than just a small management team hundreds of departments and staff world wide would have knowledge of the process,
      the truth would out,
      treating one obscure ebay employee blowing the whistle as gospel, when every other post or comment by every other ebay employee is treated with suspicion and disbelief
      is ridiculous

• 1 year ago

The thing I cannot understand is what at the end of the day benefits ebay in all the manipulation of sales. You can point to all different items but at the end of the day if ebay limits the sales on various sites it is limiting its sales across the board and with it ebays charges and hence profits.

Now if the Seller is selling exactly the same as one of the big sellers there could be a slight justification but ‘Restraint of Trade’ is still illegal and ebay if caught the fines could be as much as 10% of Turnover(usual EU Laws and Rules and Regulations normally have 10% of Turnover as the maximum sanction).

But I doubt if more than a handful of SME Sellers have exactly the same items listed as the big sellers. They may have a few similar items even a few identical items. But if they were to delete those few items would ebay stop kicking them? I doubt it.

So what about all those sellers who are being given a kicking but do not list any items that clash with any of the big sellers listings? Why are they being targeted?

I just think that ebay has got itself into a mindset of always looking for even a minor justification to give its sellers a good kicking.

We have heard on a regular basis whenever ebay appoints a new Senior Executive of one sort or another than things will improve. But has anybody ever seen an improvement? In my eyes every time things just get worse.

So come on ebay look at the ‘Cruel and Inhuman Punishment’ that you hand out to your Sellers day in, day out and decide that instead you are going to work with all your Customers(The Sellers who pay your fees and charges) to our mutual benefit.

1 year ago

“I just think that ebay has got itself into a mindset of always looking for even a minor justification to give its sellers a good kicking”

couild it be the other way round????.

• Keith
      1 year ago

Did you read the Tamebay post? It confirms it has software “eBay must have an advanced, automated system in place to help ensure our sellers and buyers can transact with confidence.” This software can easily do what the eBay employee said when he posted the “Internal Document”.

They also state “In addition to these limits, to help sellers grow successfully, eBay also may place limits based, for instance, on performance or length of time on eBay. This type of limit is clearly visible to impacted sellers in My eBay (soon to be in Seller Hub).” They haven’t denied there can be internal limits, they simply didn’t mention it. I am sure if the question was asked directly to ebay about internal limits, they would confirm they exist, but won’t divulge that information.

Why isn’t there a whistleblower? Because the staff don’t care, the eBay user agreement covers itself by stating items may not be shown – its no big deal to them. There not going to risk there career over posting a document, thats already been seen by mistake. There is no conspiracy, so nothing to whistleblow.

I worked in a bank for years, with “Internal documents” regarding fraud, none of these leaked, because no one cared or bothered. ALL large corporations have internal documents.

eBay are smart, there software is perfect. They have no trouble collecting fees, no problems with ads, no problem pushing chinese sellers to the first page, no problem removing restrictions for outlets starting out etc… I could go on and on but I won’t.

1 year ago

ebay has “perfect software” “no problems ”
      good luck with that theory

• 1 year ago

I am sorry Tinker I just do not have anywhere like enough power to be able to give ebay a kicking. But they have a great deal of power to give my account a very severe kicking over the months since Christmas 2015.

If it was just me who was ‘enjoying’ a good kicking then perhaps it was my fault. But read the postings I am not alone.

Is it just a small number of individuals in ebay who know about this campaign of theirs against any ebay seller it does not like for any reason. Or perhaps it is written into ebays programes with a very minimum of human involvement. I really do not know. What I do know is that I am on the end of a very severe kicking and I do not believe that I have done anything so severe that 8 months after Christmas 2015 I am still on the end of it with no sign that it will end soon.

Tinker you seem to give ebay far more than just the benefit of doubt. But after 8 months I have long since stopped giving ebay the benefit of doubt. It has been a severe and sustained kicking and it is still continuing.

1 year ago

EBAYS a royal pain in the arse but it makes us money
      were old and ugly enough to know if our business is having problems its up to us no one else to blame

• BPM
    1 year ago

Has anyone else had staged declines in sales? My sales went from a variable 6-11k per month to 6k for 3 months, 5k for 3, 4k for 3 months etc. It is so noticeable! I know a little bit about statistics, and this sales pattern is utterly impossible in a real retail environment.

I’m interested to know if the declining sales experienced by many have been a gradual lessening, or jumps down at regular intervals.

1 year ago

Yes same here its like a ceiling on sales the same every month then drops a few grand every 6 months its now at the point I am selling and making enough for costs fees post etc and very little profit I need more turnover per month to dilute the fixed costs.to make selling on eBay viable again.

I have tried more listings 20k and less 6k with no difference in monthly sales this month I will be dropping all slow selling unique and single quantity lines and have about 3k on eBay and reduce my subscription level the other lines will be added to amazon only where I will see an increase in sales.

I have no idea why eBay are doing this the only thing I can think of it to have more sellers paying shop fees for the available sales levels and spread the sales across the sellers.

The worst thing is the items I will not be listing are the odd ball unique items that bring buyers to eBay but there is no point in paying fees to list them if nobody can find them because eBay throttle my sales

• Chris
    1 year ago

Unless all these things mentioned in the thread indicate to there are nowhere near as many buyers on eBay as there was in 2014 and earlier due to the competition from etsy and the like?

Thoughts?

1 year ago

I think that is the case there are less sales on eBay and eBay still want multiple sellers selling the same items all paying Anchor shop fees and split the sales across as many sellers as possible to ensure they all keep paying their shop subs and keep feeding the big boys with enough sales to keep them happy.

A natural market would force the prices down and a few dominant sellers in each area getting all the sales but this is not the case on eBay everyone gets a bit but the slices of the cake are now too small for anyone but eBay to make any money.

The result is we have thousands of sellers trying to improve listing and jump through hoops to get sales when it makes no difference as they are capped by their slice of the ever shrinking cake

1 year ago

This bit is going off the main topic slightly, but don’t forget that many sellers don’t have an anchor shop and are not paying any shop fees at all, yet still have a selling limit of thousands even as a private seller, so the idea that ebay are getting shop fees out of it may not be very accurate.
      At least ebay have a minimum of 99p fixed price, as some sites I’ve seen have listings as low as 40p plus postage, in a category I sell in, which is certainly race to the bottom stuff.
      There are far fewer buyers now, just look at how the promo for 100 free listings per day is being continued for private sellers, presumably in the hope of attracting a bigger variety of listings to bring back buyers and of course the private sellers who spend their paypal money back on ebay (in some cases perhaps to keep it hidden from the taxman ?).

1 year ago

The hundred a day listing is to improve the “active” user stats for the shareholder reports these sellers don’t have a hope of selling anything but eBay will let them go through the motions so they are now classed active users

I know I listed over 4000 items across 6 private accounts as an experiment using this offer and got 4 sales in 3 weeks so ended the lot it was not worth effort to log in every day to check what was happening on each account

• 1 year ago

I have been on the end of a totally unjustified and probably totally illegal kicking from ebay since Christmas 2015. Now I not in the same position as other sellers on ebay. I could be described as a Hobby Seller. After all within the next couple of weeks I am buying a property which will not be involved with ebay except possibly as a Buyer(and even then with a budget of probably £10,000 of purchases in the first year-the New Business just does not need much as the previous owners of the building walked away leaving just about everything that we needed behind – I would be unhappy about buying much off ebay as its been and still is giving me such a kicking. As a matter of fact throughout the period of kicking I have continued to enjoy a 100% Feedback and I have a very high percentage of my customers(probably over 75% and all glowing) leaving Feedback yet ebay continues to give me a savage kicking.)

I sell Books but the New Business will not sell Books. Neither can it be expected ever to sell anything on ebay.

In regard to my selling Books within a short time(when I have any time) I will set up a Website and my initial target will be to list 1,000 Books that I would have previously sold on ebay except I am still being given a good kicking by ebay. But while it annoys me I just do not care because with what I have in Cash, Bank Accounts and Investments ebays attempts to hurt me are like being attacked by a ferocious butterfly.

ebay has cancelled so many of my listings since Christmas that even when they stop kicking me I probably will not even think about listing any new Books ion ebay. All efforts I will make will be to list even more on my proposed Website…Why well I have totally lost any respect I ever had in ebay. After all All Americans are Gangsters and every day ebay proves to me that it is a Gangster Organisation.

• Ian A
      1 year ago

I’m getting daily enquiries on chrono24 watch marketplace with only a handful listed, its like the market for pre owned watches has all but moved from ebay to there of late.

I produced my own fashion brand of watches, sold over 100 from display cabinets at £28 each, on ebay I can only achieve £0.99-£12.99 max. On amazon I’ve been able to get £30 for them.

I think ebay is nearly over for small sellers, too many listings not enough buyers.

1 year ago

Steve – It must be your category then, as I have been sitting beside someone who is using this promo, and with around a thousand listings they are selling a hundred or so every month – I was there a couple of days ago and this month sales are 140 already – we are in different categories and old friends so no problem to see each other’s accounts out of curiosity whilst discussing topics like this one !

• 1 year ago

I have often wondered about this 99p lower limit. I bid on Silver Coins and occasionally Gold Coins for my collection. So I put Silver Coins in search and when the Silver Coins come up I type in Lowest plus p & p. So why do so many Silver Coins have an initial price of £0.01 and before anybody says they are listed in China or somewhere else abroard No this is not true as many are listed in the UK.

Now I sell Books and none of my Books are worth as little as £0.01 indeed none would be appropriate for an £0-99p start. But I have often wondered how UK sellertrs are able to list Silver Coins at a start of £0.01.

1 year ago

because its the starting price not the final price?

• 1 year ago

I was told years ago and I believe that many Sellers on ebay understand that you cannot list an item with a start price less than £0-99p. Start price in many cases certainly does not mean fiinal price(but I have bid on Coins with a £0.01p start and purchased them for considerably less than £0.99p(and they were silver coins).. But how do some sellers manage to list at £0-01p if there is a requirement for all listings to have a start price of £0.99p or more?

I would not list at £0-01p but if you look you will find some who obviously can and do list at £0-01p. So is this available to all or just a few?

1 year ago

Chris T – I looked at silver coins uk only, and then sorted by ending soonest, selecting two different business sellers starting everything at 1p, I also looked at completed listings.
      It is probably that these sellers have managed to build up a good following, either because of the starting price or just over a long period of time, and so they usually achieve a fair market price most of the time. The fact that every now and then some sell for less than a pound probably helps to keep buyers coming in the hope of a bargain – one seller has sold prices of hundreds of pounds from a 1p start, so it must work for them.
      I don’t know jack about coins, but one category of collectables I do know has a similar story – a seller I knew advised me to copy them, as they had a 1p start and adopted the swings and roundabouts view so overall made ‘a profit’.
      In my case I lost my nerve after a hundred listings where 40 didn’t get a bid, ten had a couple of bids, and the others sold for the starting price – if you keep on for a long time it might work, as I see other sellers around the world adopt this tactic with generally good results (Every now and then I am the buyer of a few 1p lots being sold by newbies who think they’ll instantly get a horde of buyers follow them).

1 year ago

Chris T – the 99p minimum start price is for fixed price, auctions can start at 1p. It’s possible for foreign sellers to list fixed price lower than 99p depending on exchange rates – my pet hate right now is Polish Zloty, as their minimum price is 1 zloty, about 20p although postage means I can still be cheaper for uk buyers.
      I used to list a lot on ebay.com in dollars, as it meant I came higher up in searches by lowest price, as well as getting some mega listing promos open to all sellers several times a year. but as I have now changed everything to freepost I stick with the uk site especially since ebay have started giving out better promos here.

• I have to say this doesn’t bear out what my clients see – slow sales months are almost always explained by external forces such as Brexit or else the sales in general are down on eBay because buyers are choosing other marketplaces.
    Putting more items up for sale will not guarantee extra sales – in fact it can have the opposite effect as it will impact on sell through rates.
    Checking on Terapeak when there is a dip in sales almost always reveals a general dip in sales across the category.
    There are reasons why sales slow, but I think the real issue is that the reasons are so complex it’;s very difficult to work out what to do unless your business is analysing eBay – good news for me but not for sellers generally.
    As always the advice is sell everywhere, not just eBay.

• Gareth Barns
    1 year ago

I know how surreptitious eBay can be through firsthand experience. A few years ago, auctions had, and always did display in the results based on how much time was left, even when Best Match was introduced. eBay terms and conditions stated this was the case.

When I first noticed this pattern stopped, I got in contact with eBay and brought it up in the forums, as I was experiencing a large drop in sales as a consequence. I was contacted by a German eBay member of staff, and was told eBay was applying a threshold – effectively a sell-through rate. This was completely new to all sellers on eBay and wasn’t to be announced for a further three weeks. Not only was there this throttle on how you appeared in Best Match, but auctions no longer had any guarantee of finishing in order of time. I took a screen shot of eBay’s terms and conditions, to show them they were in contradiction. A few days later, they changed those terms and conditions to include the word ‘may’. The injection of a single word meant your auctions might finish in a time based order within Best Match, or they may not!

This was all several years ago now, but I am quite certain new surreptitious means are used to throttle sellers, and at other times to open them up for sales. I’m also quite certain they will further test new things and go against their own stated conditions, only to announce them publicly long after the fact.

You only need to start searching eBay using proxy sites, testing with other IPs and even different browsers to see how differently the results appear.

• Ian A
    1 year ago

far too much overwhelming anecdotal evidence of throttling, rolling blackouts , strange sales patterns etc.

Basically if you want to grow your business reliably, you need sales from several other sources.

• James
    1 year ago

I have to agree 100% with everything Steve has said above, he has hit the nail on the head.

I have had exactly the same experience with eBay sales.

My main seller has been active since 2002, I have always had 100% feedback and have just under 200,000 feedback, so we are an established, long standing, reputable seller yet we are experiencing hidden selling limits.

The same as Steve, no matter what I do to try and grow my eBay business and sales, every month our sales hit a ceiling within a few thousand ponds, looking at Terapeak data so are our competitors.

We are not aware of eBay imposing selling limits on us, there is no reason for them to do so, you would have thought we would be one of their best sellers and customers, somebody to look after and help grow but no, quite the opposite.

We have suppliers where we spend much less than we spend with eBay yet these suppliers look after us and treat us with respect and help us, we have dedicated account managers from all our many suppliers but nothing from eBay.

Frankly I think it is terrible how eBay treat sellers and I only see it getting worse.

Never mind Brexit, it’s time to plan your eBayexit strategy!

1 year ago

I think the problem is too many buyers (users) are turning their backs on eBay and who can blame them especially if they have been on the receiving end of the endless fraud and scams trying to sell on eBay and the lack of customer support.
      Ebay have no control over the number of say for example iPhone 6 phones sold in a month on eBay they will have an idea of the total number from selling history say 10,000 a month so FVF are a fixed know amount

If they just let market forces work one or two sellers will soon dominate on the iPhone sales and all others sellers will either drop the line or drop selling on eBay the result would be less listing fees and less subscription fees for eBay.

By spreading the 10000 phone across a 1000 sellers they get 1000 listing and store fees for the same final value of sales on the 10,000 phone sales

Multiply this by thousands of lines and sellers and it will add up to more money in listing and shop fees than the FVF collected and remember eBay have no control or influence to increase the FVF without a fee increase as the number sold is a relatively fixed predictable amount on 10,000 phones

• 1 year ago

This arguement is all very well but ebay is taking action against many sellers who do not have anything to do with such as phones. In BBIP(British Books in Print-the Bible for Book sellers) there are about 600,000 titles listed. This is just the Books in Print. If you add in Books Out of Print and indeed Historic Titles etc the number of Books that could be listed on ebay runs into millions. Obviously while different Book Sellers could have a degree of overlap there are many thousands of titles where there is only one or two listed.

So if a Buyer was looking for a specific title subject to being able to get ebays search to actually look for the title being asked for and not the hundreds of titles that search seems to think that you are looking for. You might only find one or two listed(and it is not uncommon to find(according to search) that that title is not listed).

So why go after small sellers in categories where there are potentially hundreds of thousands of in this case Books that could be listed where there are no Book Sellers so big that they can dominate the market to that extent?

• 1 year ago

I’m sorry, but I just don’t buy into these conspiracy theory. If there are hidden limits, its going the be down to how you rank in search, visibility, clicks & most of all sales. With a billion+ listings eBay want the best listings at the top of search. It can only be down to the algorithms they use and I bet most people at eBay don’t even understand how they work.

It is definitely worth looking at http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/sell/sellinglimits.html and work through all the advice here. One of our accounts did receive a limitation and eBay told me to weed out products with high stock counts and low sales. This can happen quite easily, you get a deal at a knockdown price and you automatically put up all your inventory. Better to make the inventory available at intervals. Better to have 10 sales and 40 items, than 10 sales than 400 items. I followed this procedure and my selling limits were gradually increased over time, I imagine the same could occur if there are hidden limits.

eBay is still a decent platform for us, but we gave up hope of real growth a couple of years ago as it appears successive management teams seem incapable of turning round the oil tanker it has become.

• Keith
      1 year ago

Hi Geoff, you say you don’t buy these conspiracy theories (which is fine) but reread your post.

Those algorithms you speak of – why have them? isn’t that manipulating sales? i.e limiting sales? Why isn’t there growth on eBay for you? is it because you hit your ceiling? eBay is growing, Brexit doesn’t effect people in other countries. Nighttime in the UK is day time in USA etc.

The “Best listings” at the top, in general, are from the Chinese sellers, who have bad feedback and slow shipping – this is hardly a good buying experience?

You never see an outlets item at the bottom of best match, never. Why? I am SURE Argos and the like have “slow” items, yet they come up first in search. ?

My eBay invoice is literally the same each month – no matter what I do (I even doubled my listings 3 months ago) still the same sales. No growth on eBay for my company (But elsewhere there is growth)

• Chris

I agree with you.
      Out of interest Keith where else do you sell?

• James Holton
      1 year ago

Exactly the same for me Keith.

Three years ago we had 1000 good quality listing very few slow sellers. We were doing well but I always want better, I thought if we double the products we have listed it would be reasonable to assume we would double our sales, nope they stayed the same!

1 year ago

I have enough product lines to try different products evey month I have on our server database 40k different product lines and can upload any to eBay at will through the API.

I have tried different lines each month and combinations from 5k lines to 20k of lines at any one time and regardless what combination I run the sales are the same every month within a few percent.

Conspiracy of coincidence whatever is happening the results are not natural I can select 5k of listings that have not sold for 6 months end everything else and these slow selling 5k of listings will sell up to the ceiling value then it all grinds to a halt.

I need to find the lowest number of listings required to maintain maximum sales I am limited to and not list anymore and the rest list on other marketplaces there is no point maintaining a massive selection of lines if 75% will never be allowed to sell due to hidden limitations.

I may as well save the fees and wait until the 50,000 listing offer and throw them all up for 30 days

• Keith
      1 year ago

An example is. A product I sell at £19.99 had about 80 sales in 30 days, then they just stopped. No explination. Kept selling on Amazon and my website.

I reduced them to £9.99 (at the 30 days) on eBay. 0 sales. I ran a promotion on eBay at 20% (sponsored listing) – 0 sales after 7 days at £9.99.

This is a new product. I sell this product every day on Amazon and my website and did on eBay also. On social media, I spent £10 promoting a picture of it on my fanpage. Sold more that night on my website at £19.99 than in the 30 days on eBay.

Since then (3 weeks ago) I have sold 1 on eBay for £9.99. For some reason unknown to me, it just stopped dead. I have no active content, no auctiva or anything like that. Just plain text and its a “Premium listing”. I am the cheapest on eBay and post with Royal Mail 1st Class. Cannot get my head around it.

I gave a link from social media to an eBay listing a few months ago, and promoted it on social media to bring some sales to eBay. Got 2 sales and 6 messages from people saying they were trying to buy on eBay and were getting an error than I cannot accept Payment (x 4 people) and 2 people said they got an error saying I don’t ship to their location. These were addresses’ in Manchester and London, cities I post to daily. No idea how many tried to buy who didnt email me, maybe 100 maybe 0 – ill never know.
      I won’t make that mistake again now all promotions go to my website.

So yes, I believe in hidden limits. If eBay has the software to limit new accounts, manipulate search, promote certain sellers/outleets/chinese, then yes it can limit sales.

• 1 year ago

I am fascinated by the sock discussion. But can I introduce another point. I wear size 13 shoes. I have had a problem over the years getting size 13 socks. I can get size 12 everywhere but not size 13 and I would expect that the problem is even worse for those with bigger feet than mine. So could I call for more size 13(and larger) socks on ebay and indeed in b & m shops. Before anybody says buy and wear size 12 socks may I point out that size 12 are usually size x – size 12 so they are already slightly stretched and if I wear them they are tight and it is not long before my toes have managed to push though the socks and I am back to square 1 looking for size 13 socks.

NURSE !!!

1 year ago

were trying to work out how
      doubling the products listed can double the amount bought
      when there are only so many buyers out there

• james
      1 year ago

okay so you cant figure it out, that doesnt make everyone else wrong….

james ,
      were querying the logic of double the amount offered = double sales
      nowt to do with ebays throttling

Lets make this simple
      If your selling blue socks in sizes 8 and 9 and are selling 10 pairs a day and you introduce red green black white and brown socks and expand you sizes from 3 to 12 you would expect to sell more don’t you agree.

At this point your confused why you sales have not increased so you experiment you stop selling all but green in size 12 and you still sell 10 pairs a day so you change to red in size 2 and guess what you sell 10 pairs a day regardless what combinations you use you cant seem to sell more than 10 pairs a day

• Chris

Exactly Steve.
      A crude example but hits it on the head.

Chris

I think the sellers who cant believe its happening are not selling enough or have enough lines running to see the strange patterns

1 year ago

ok yes lets make it simple
      there are only so many buyers so regardless of how many pairs or colours are available there is only demand for a certain amount

Tinker

So your saying the buyers will buy the wrong size and colour socks or do these limited number of buyers feet change size daily ?

1 year ago

no I am saying unless your selling to centipedes there is only a certain demand for socks and most socks fit a range of feet they Stretch

1 year ago

I think you right to a point there is a limited supply of buyers and this is why eBay shares the sales among sellers because if they did not some sellers would dominate and nobody else would get a look in.

But what ever a seller does to increase market share of the sales will have no effect long term a flash sale 20% off may give a surge of sales but then the seller will be hidden and throttled for the next few days to get the sales back on eBay’s hidden target limit.

The system is rigged so a seller sells what eBay allows and no more regardless of the effort the seller puts in to eBay

1 year ago

Another point to make about the spreading of sales is how a seller with a higher price can actually sell more than the lowest priced seller – not talking about featured listings or mega sellers who are promoted better by ebay or that sort of thing.
      I have intentionally been the lowest freepost price (99p) when searched from uk using worldwide on perhaps a hundred listings as a trial, and yet when I check completed listings a few weeks later, identical items are sold by someone with a higher price. This could be due in part to buyers preferring someone else’s user name, location etc, or perhaps even multiple purchases gaining from another sellers better combined discounts – but it happens too often to be coincidence.
      I have a friend selling in a different category, items around a tenner which are always single purchases and never bought with anything else for combined discounts, yet they also find that sellers with a much higher price can get sales of the identical item more than just once a month.
      It stands to reason that ebay cannot allow one or two sellers to kill off everyone else, and so the only explanation for their ability to spread sales around, is by hiding some sellers in some sort of pattern.
      I wouldn’t mind at all, if they would only admit to it.

• Keith
    1 year ago

I also sell on Amazon (despite problems it allows my business to grow which is a plus anyway) Amazon is growing monthly, literally to see a graph, its just up and up. eBay is up and down. I can go 24 hours with 0 sales on eBay (always day before my invoice is due).

I have my website also, which (thanks to social media) is doing brilliant. Growing monthly and for the products I sell, on number 1 page on Google. Outselling eBay after 6 months open and just behind Amazon UK.

Even on my website, I go to bed and when I wake up there is sales throughout the night from other countries. Like it should be on eBay.

I don’t dislike eBay at all. They are a business and need to make themselves money. Last year my sales died and never recovered, hence the website (which looking back is now a blessing as without the sales it brings I wouldn;t have my company today replying on just eBay)

Funnily enough, 0 item not described problems on my website. All just normal people who return to us and we refund, without making up lies.

• jeff M
    1 year ago

This is absolutely true, we have seen staged decline in sales, it’s too ‘even’ to be a natural occurrence, eBay are manipulating and restricting small sellers. Basically eBay now is little more than a subscription scam and needs to be investigated at a high level. It’s fraud.

• Pete
    1 year ago

It’s eass to spit the eBay fan boys or employees above.

This site IS rigged and one day someone’s going to leak something that’s going to get the management extremely worried of the FBI paying them a visit. It’s going to happen.

• 1 year ago

Not so easy to split the the genuine sellers and serial whingers though as 99% of commentators do so anon, the largest eBay news site in the UK and nobody wants to give there struggling shop a free plug. Bizarre.

I’ve hired eBay services from posters on this site .bought listing templates, paid for selling advice, shop designs. Bought electrical equipment etc, I’ve sent product away to be sold by other sellers because I’m lazy, all from eBay commentators.

I currently need 2 bedroom sets, curtains, shades, wallpaper etc constantly needing stationery, pet supplies and always looking for deals like most of us and I’ve got no idea what any of you buggers sell.

1 year ago

if your a centipede I sell socks,

seriously we dont advertise what we do as ebay works very well for us we dont want copy cats

Alas I’m not.

That’s a perfectly valid reason not to, but then, you nor I are not complaining about lack of sales, fake moon landings etc

1 year ago

Maybe you have not hit your limit yet whirly going from your feedback maybe your not doing enough sales to see any patterns that sellers who are doing in1000s of sales a month.

As Tinker says there is no point telling everyone what you sell and create copy cats

• 1 year ago

I don’t believe limits exist in the way you do Steve.

Given your comments about your sales I’d not sure I’d spend time copying your sales strategy.

1 year ago

Just as posters on ebay forums use a different account, so nobody with any sense would use their ebay account name on here, as it would be very easy for someone to take a dislike to something you’ve posted, and ruin your business….. did you honestly not work that one out ?

• 1 year ago

Getting a lifetime forum ban 10 years ago for abusing pinks and generally being a nuisance was the best thing that ever happened.

The boards create mass hysteria and paranoia, folk spend days and days blaming everybody apart from themselves when something goes wrong.

You guys can spend the next 10 days swapping tales of woe about eBay but it won’t fix your business.

1 year ago

Swapping tales of woe will not fix a business it’s true, but amongst all the chaff there is often a bit of wheat to be found – sometimes it’s all a bit of a jigsaw puzzle I believe, and every now and then I’ve read some interesting things which might be the missing bit of a puzzle at some point, so I continue to read and contribute to the nonsense because of that.

1 year ago

obviously there is some sort of problem though our guess its not intentional or specific or controlled we think ebays cassini is the culprit and how people find things in general

1 year ago

If anyone doubts eBay ability to turn a sellers sales on or off at will and throttle a sellers sale, they should ask any seller who has become below standard what happens to their sales they can drop from 100+ a day to a handful overnight

How do I know this I have been there and ended up below standard trying to stand up to fraudulent buyers and got no support from eBay and sanctioned for trying a couple of years ago

1 year ago

we dont doubt ebay controls the overall search
      we just dont buy into specific sellers

1 year ago

How many sales a day are you doing if its a far few in the 100s you will soon see the patterns if you doing a hand full a day would wont have enough data to see the trends.

We seem to be split on two sides here the ones who have seen the patterns and want to know why and the one who don’t believe eBay would or even could do such a thing what ever happens we will never find out the truth so we should all be grateful to eBay that we are selling anything at all.

1 year ago

were auction only contrary to popular belief it still works very well
      we sell as much as we can list never been restricted or throttled
      sold around , 4 or 5 million pounds of goods over the past 10 years much more since we started ebay in 1998

• Chris
      1 year ago

Tinker what do you sell?

1 year ago

we sell anything thats legal and does not answer back

• Chris

Enlighten me further.

ANYTHING

Used to refer to a thing, no matter what:

• Riz
    1 year ago

It is simple – the sales are throttled no question about it.

Ebay wants lots of sellers selling so everyone gets a slice of the pie, If ebay allowed 1 player to dominate a category then the smaller sellers would leave.

Most new sellers are enthusiastic and do not know the game well, they will try hard with “listing upgrades”, until they finally cave in.

I know this because I have been doing ebay from day 1, where I dominated plenty of categories, I had a sale every 30 seconds

In year 2007, ebay profit was 1.3 million, as I completely dominated a category, profit from that category is now non-existent.

You have to constantly evolve and change your products to stay 1 step ahead of the rest.

Online selling is the future but don’t for 1 second think these platforms care about sellers, as they know new blood will always be setting up stores.

• Gary
      1 year ago

Ebay only recieve a sales fee when buyers buy. What makes you think ebay want to split the pie among a maximum number of sellers? What ebay want are sellers who sell what buyers want. Only those sellers who sell what buyers want generate revenue for ebay. So the secret of success on ebay is to only offer what buyers want and do not waste time on things buyers do not want. If you are not a 100% low start auction seller or cannot afford to take the risk of auctions or are not offering or cannot afford to offer competitive Buy it Now prices then your business model will not work well on ebay. Fact! Nothing at all to do with ebay throtling sales.

1 year ago

Gary – don’t forget the difference between planned and impulse purchases. What you are saying is true for planned purchases of course, but a wide variety of products and sellers means a greater chance of impulse purchases, and that will add to eBay’s revenue as well as helping the site grow by becoming a ‘must go to’ place if people think they can find any item no matter how obscure.
      If ebay didn’t spread the sales around, each category would have it’s ‘argos’ or ‘asda’, and eventually one seller would be able to corner the market in any product simply by being the cheapest until such times as the competiton is forced out of business – look at how supermarkets killed off many small corner shops because they had a bigger range and lower prices, then when they had almost a monopoly, they started to put certain prices up a bit, squeeze the suppliers and so on.
      I’m quite sure argos are not going to use their paypal account money to buy from asda for example, and so if the sales are not spread around, the ripple effect will mean the result of market domination will cause an ever greater drop in income as the remaining big sellers will start to demand a reduction in selling fees as they are the only sellers left….. and so on.

• Gary
      1 year ago

Impulse purchases tend to be “one off” type items or something unique or pre-owned. There will not be large numbers of sellers of these types of product. Buyers have the choice of either bidding/buying now or waiting and gambling to see if another example pops up later which could be months later. It is impossible for ebay to spread sales around for this type of product. Planned purchases will generally be of new items with multiple sellers offering multiple quantities and choice. Those sellers of “one off” type impulse items probably don’t have any complaints about ebay. It is those sellers of “new” who have to compete with others who I guess have concerns about ebay choking sales.

1 year ago

Not sure if we’re talking the same language – an impulse purchase is something you had not planned to buy, but make the decision at the last minute when you see it, whilst you seem to be implying that any unique item will be an impulse buy, or even that every impulse buy is of a unique item ?
      Bars of chocolate placed next to the checkout are intended to encourage impulse purchases, as are most other items placed on a shop counter…… it’s a very basic fact of retailing, and been featured in trade magazines for umpteen years.
      These items can either be reduced in price to clear dead stock, or priced at maximum retail price because they will be picked up at the last minute with very little thought going into the purchase.
      There will undoubtedly be impulse purchases of unique items, but the term ‘impulse purchase’ is not generally used for that situation.

1 year ago

Its items like 361704552631 are what makes eBay different to any other venue the odd things that you cant get anywhere else if eBay ignore the odd ball items and chase the box shifters they will loose buyers and loose to more focused marketplaces who already specialise in the box shifting field.

EBay’s success and USP has been due to its massive range of products available it should not turn its back on the advantage it has over the others by trying to copy them because it wont work

• Andy R
    1 year ago

This paranoia on this board would keep a psychiatrist in work for life!

1 year ago

if our business were receiving 10% plus on every sale,nothing and nobody would have any limit,
    do you think ebay needs a psychiatrist

1 year ago

Tinker you forget the number of widget sales is a fixed number limited by the number of buyers that want and will buy the widget eBay cant influence the total number of widgets sold per month the demand decides the total sold.

EBay can make more money splitting the sales of widgets across more sellers than allowing some to dominate the market by getting more listing fees for the total number of widgets sold the FVF will be limited by market demand.

For example 1000 widgets sold

One sellers listing with quantity sold 1000 when sold means 1000x FVF + I listing fee

50 sellers with 50 listings all sold 20 each will be 1000 FVF +50 listing fees

Now do the maths same amount of widgets have been sold which example makes eBay the most money?

Now who do you think needs the shrink still eBay ?

1 year ago

yeah yeah and if me granny had balls, she would have been my grandad

• james S
    1 year ago

…. I suspect recent CEO’s do and have…

1 year ago

many ebay sellers live in their own bubble ! they over estimate their importance, nearly 20 years full time selling on ebay, tells us
    individually were all insignificant to ebay, so anyone who thinks ebay are going to focus time and attention on scraping extra final value fees in that manner , really does need to change their abacus

1 year ago

if ebay were short of a few extra FVFs all they need to do is change the fees
      they dont need to conduct an international cloak and dagger espionage secret software cover up

1 year ago

think about it ! if ebay were cynical as you imply or had the ability or software to do as you suggest ,
      do you not think they would maximize this ability
      all ebay would need to do is say your limit is 1000 items @ X over this your fee is Y,

1 year ago

Why change FVF when there is a lot more money to be make sharing the sales across more sellers with listing fees ?

1 year ago

So you think eBay don’t have the software to limit a sellers sales you need to ask any seller who has dropped below standard what the software does to the sellers sales.

The software is there just because you don’t understand what can be done with software you dismiss it could or would be done.

• Keith
    1 year ago

Tinker, do you work for eBay? Serious question. Only asking as you seen to dismiss the idea hat eBay has this software so wondering if maybe, if you know more than the person/eBay staff who posted the hidden limit document on the US forum.

You know, the guy who works/worked for eBay, got paid by eBay, got permission to post on the forum by eBay, the guy who posted an internal document from his ebay work computer, posted this while at work in eBay office.

Also to note, this was confirmed also as an internal document by the UK community manager AND Griff (who said he wouldn’t comment on it) So that is 3 members of EBAY STAFF (1 of who is high up) who confirmed the existence of this document. But yet, you seem to be unable to comprehend that.

I don’t do conspiracy theories – i am very realistic. And without that document I also would doubt it could happen. But its there to be seen.

If eBay can limit sales for new members of COURSE it can for old. Simples.

1 year ago

I wonder if Tinker thinks its a coincidence when he gets adds browsing the internet that are linked to what he was looking at on eBay is another coincidence

I think its called flat earth syndrome he cant see the earth is round so it cant be in his eyes.

• dbl
      1 year ago

I think you’ll find that’s down to a facebook pixel used by many businesses. Or the cookies related ads in Adchoice in google. I like that as eBay are promoting my products in social media.

dbl
      common sense and simple accurate uncomplicated answers are not allowed on this thread

• dbl

Better leave it then 😉

1 year ago

talking of flat earth ,were just off to a lecture by elvis presely on the da vinci code ,hosted by the flat earth society , Darth vader’s waiting in his x wing fighter to give us a lift, which is just as credible as all this throttling crap

1 year ago

Yep even eBay don’t believe they would limit sales that’s why they changed the user agreement to say your listings may not be shown in all search results just another coincidence I guess 🙂

1 year ago

Please have a look at downdetector, as there’s a very interesting comment/tale by someone called ‘Anthony Tweats’.
      I was having a few ‘system problem’ messages whilst trying to list and so had a look there to see if it was only me, or if there were many others reporting problems.
      General gist of it is that stagnant listings suddenly had a sale after a phone call to customer services….. but please read it for yourselves, as it is another eample of this discussion here.

1 year ago

now were really into fantasy
      a phone call to customer services producing an effect ???

1 year ago

tinker – I am not so silly as to suggest that customer services can flick a switch, but this is not the first time such happenings have been reported.
      A year or two ago, I had more free time and not being a television addict, I spent ages on ebay seller forums both uk and usa, and very well respected sellers on the forums reported similar events.
      Various suggestions were put forward as to the cause of this, with the most feasible being that because someone at ebay (in this case a customer services person) had been going through an account and looking at listings, it had possibly triggered some kind of wake up call to some stagnant listings.
      One of my accounts has over a thousand listings at present, and anything with very low page views after a week gets ended and relisted, along with new stuff and anything else I think might benefit from the boost a new listing seems to get (Some listings get altered from 30 day to 10 day to see if they get a boost from ending soonest searches).
      I have noticed when going through all of my listings, that there are often small batches of unrelated items which have very low page views for no apparent reason – these items are generally ones which were listed together, and so it’s odd that although it’s not the same items every time, when they are ended and I use ‘sell similar’, within a week their page views are vastly higher than they were previously, indicating to me that some listings can indeed either be hidden, or go out of view for a while.
      Sorry for the long story, but I am trying to explain how I have seen things happen with my own listings which can be tied in with the idea that someone’s listings can suddenly become active again with no other explanation than there is outside interference…. unless you subscribe to the idea that it’s all just coincidence ?

1 year ago

all far to intricate and involved for us we just list an item and sell it
      if it fails to sell its our price or product

1 year ago

And if other sellers are selling the same item as you at a far higher price what is the reason yours is not selling?

Is it the price or product ?

1 year ago

could be lots of reasons why identical items sell for more,presentation, feedback ,return customer, time of day, attitude etc etc,
      not confined to one hypothetical tunnel vision reason , in an effort to justify an opinion

1 year ago

“if it fails to sell its our price or product”

So its not the price or product make your mind up 🙂

1 year ago

our minds made up IF IT Fails to SELL! not if it sells for less, or someone sells it for more

• James
    1 year ago

Interesting! I was on live chat Just after midnight on Friday to query if there were any selling limits imposed on our account that we were not aware of. I explained how our ebay sales are 25% down on 2 months ago and I did not understand how on best match most of oir items were showing well down the results for items we have sold thousands of, we are the cheapest, we have 200k positive feedback offer free, fast postage etc, we are doing averything we think ebay want us to, yet our sales are dire at the moment.

I was assured that our account is good and there are no limits, I subtly hinted at the possibility of hidden limits, it went quiet and I was transferred to somebody else quickly.

Again I was assured our account has no limits and there are definetly no such thing as hidden sellong limits.

Within 2 days our items are creeping back up search results and our sales are up.

Coincidence?

Last night i contacted them again, Click and Collect and Fast and Free was showing on most but not all of our listings. I gave them examples of 50 item numbers where this was a problem. A few were explained because they were in categories that are not eligible, some seemed quite bizarre so I changed the category and sorted. The others could not be explained. I was advised to end them and relist to see if that would fix it, was not convinced and did not want to lose sales history. So I said thanks but I would leave them as is.

Within 20 minutes Click andCollect and Fast and Free were visible on the best part of the 50 listings that I had queried!!

Coincidence?

1 year ago

That must be a coincidence CS never fix anything without breaking something else just look at the bugs on the site I wonder which of your listings are now broken that were fine before

1 year ago

James you have done it now they have broken it again I keep getting “Oops, we ran into a problem. Please try again later.” when browsing eBay

• James
      1 year ago

Yep, it was only temporary, our listings have slipped back down again.

And the most annoying thing is that other sellers who have copied my photos that I took with my camera and copied and pasted my descriptions are coming higher than my listings that others have copied!! Fantastic!!

• 1 year ago

Surely you can have the satisfaction of reporting copycat sellers to ebay and seeing their higher placed listings removed?

I’ve had ebay take listings down when I’ve reported them.

If you can sneak a bit of hidden HTML code in that proves it is your text, that can help if proof is required by ebay.

1 year ago

I think there’s a bit of an ebay problem again – downdetector shows quite a few reports.
      I was trying to use ‘sell similar’ to do 25 items at a time last night and again today, and if I just click to submit then it’s mostly ok, but if I want to alter something like the duration on some of the batch, the page just hangs and will not do anything never mind I reload, restart the laptop etc
      On this one, I will not blame hidden limits or anything, just the usual ebay malfunction !

• Dave
      1 year ago

Yep… its broken at the moment. Trying to buy something here, search not working, missing pictures from listings, text-only pages etc…

Pretty flakey, standard for a Bank Holiday these days….

1 year ago

I clicked on my eBay and it took me to some new seller hub thing so it might be a rollout of another change that’s broken it.

Why cant they just fix things that are already broken instead of introducing new things that break more things

1 year ago

does it not make you wonder that ebay can supposedly secretly and seamlessly govern and limit sales , yet you claim the rest of ebay is full of glitches and bugs[which of course it is]

1 year ago

EBay openly admit they have the software to reduce visibility depending on a set criteria TRS boost and below standard drop. They also admit in their T&C that your items may not always be shown in the search results.

They have the software to do it no doubt about that if it works as intended or is full of glitches is anyone’s guess but as you say the site is full of glitches so I agree with you the software they use will be like everything else full of glitches.

The software would not be difficult to implement as they have all the data they need already

IF X >= Y THEN 1 ELSE 0

1 year ago

so why the uproar if ebays not hiding anything?

1 year ago

The system is not transparent how can you develop a business when you have no idea where the goal posts are? If it was all open and the seller could see if they are at the so called sales ceiling the seller would then not bother investing time and money expanding on eBay when the reality it will have no effect.

If as you say there are no hidden limits or throttling of sales can you explain the strange sales patterns and sales level ceilings lots of sellers are noticing or is it just another strange coincidence that lots sellers see the exact same patterns on eBay but not other venues ?

• HappyCamper
    1 year ago

48 reports peak on down detector doesn’t tell me there’s a problem with eBay bearing in mind the amount of traffic they get. However Amazon only peaked at a quarter of that today at 12 and BT a peak of 21. Talktalk 26 … 48 reports in how many thousands of queries could have been to do with the internet service providers.

Go use sell similar and relist some stuff, have a look at your listing on a mobile, put some promotions and sales on and do something less boring instead. #lifeistooshort

1 year ago

Many people still don’t know about downdetector, so the peak of 48 is only those who do know, and can be bothered to click and report – I have a friend who looks to see if there’s any problem, yet can’t be bothered to report one.
      As for ‘go use sell similar’ etc….. that’s exactly what I have been trying to do for 24 hours on and off, only to get error messages at various times and stages in the process. I lost out on some of a listing allowance last night that I couldn’t use, and if things carry on like this, I will lose out on some more tonight – promos etc have an expiry date, so it’s potentially lost sales and so I am losing money.
      When people from many different parts of the uk all have a problem listing on ebay at about the same time, is that not an ebay problem rather than an isp one ?

1 year ago

Regarding #lifeistooshort……. just read that Mr Willy Wonka has gone to the big sweet shop/candy store in the sky, so perhaps eBay’s failings are not so important after all… ?

• James H
    1 year ago

I have just received my weekly sales report from Terapeak, for my own and my 10 closest competitors. The figures are so similar to the last 6-8 weeks I thought I was reading an old email!

This is not a natural sales pattern, there are no peaks and troughs that you would expect when comparing sellers selling similar items on the same marketplace. You would expect some variation over this time period not a flat line.

All my efforts and my teams are going into our new website now, I feel I have wasted several years to eBay, trying to grow my business but have been held back.

In a way I am glad to hear others have had the same experience reading here, not good for any of us but at least we know it was not us doing something wrong or failing!!

• Jason
    1 year ago

My personal opinion is that it’s become little more than a subscription scam now, it’s not a serious place to sell, like a casino, it’s rigged to the hilt. Hopefully one day justice will prevail and punishment dished out for the obvious fraud taking place.

1 year ago

I have been doing a few more experiments with listing numbers I dropped down to 2000 unique listings from 8500 and sales stayed the same for 2 weeks I then put 5000 different items and listings up on another linked account thanks to the 50k free listing offer

Within a day the sales on the first account droped by 50% the sales on the second account are equal to the drop on the first giving the same total sales across both accounts week on week

Just another coincidence next month I will list 20000 unique lines on one account and see what the results are but I think I know the answer already

1 year ago

yep the answer is a finite demand

1 year ago

What for totally different types goods not linked in any way on the two different accounts If I se1l DIY and car supplies on one account and shoes and children’s clothing on the sales on one account should not have any effect on sales the other.

Are you saying the extra listing on eBay of children’s shoes will effect and reduce the sales of wood screws.

We are talking about unique product lines not more listing of the same or similar goods if they were the same I could understand

1 year ago

even if your correct there is little you can do ,we would just work with it or go elsewhere

1 year ago

Its no a case of going else where its more proof that throttling is happening we will list the least we have to to hit the ceiling.

There is no point trying to expand our rsnge of goods or eBay sales when we can pay for 2000 listings 800 paid for + the featured shop 1200 and get the same sales as paying an anchor shop and listing 20,000

I will just drop the listing down until sales start to drop and keep a fixed amout listed to keep it at the maximum sales throttle limit

• psb
    1 year ago

Reasons for no sales on ebay – NOBODY WANTS TO BUY YOUR TAT. End of story.

not so simple

while the throttling concept is debatable (unless you are competing with “the big boys” what good would hiding your listings do for ebay?), the logic of eBays best match search means your product may not be being seen. It’s not that no one wants your tat, it’s no one has seen your product. It’s down the bottom of the first page. Not many people scroll down there.

• 1 year ago

My sales on ebay this year have been pathetic. I put it all down to ebay continuously hiding my listings way down. Thus even though I may be the cheapest and with a continuous 100% Feedback going back years I am obviously doing something right for my customers. However ebay is still giving me as good kicking.

I am in the course of buying an important building for a project. The building is generally in good condition but it does need a certain amount of work and re-equipping. I have estimated that this will cost £30,000. Because ebay has been giving me a good kicking all year I have set myself a challenge.

The challenge is that I intend to buy all £30,000 worth of goods and supplies from non-ebay sources. May I apologise to anybody on ebay who sells what I eventually buy but I am sick and tired about being kicked by ebay.

When I have completed my purchases I intend to go public about what I have bought and how easy or difficult it was to get what I wanted and to try to compare the prices that I bought for compared with the same or similar on ebay.

I hope at the end of the day that I will have paid less from non-ebay sources than if I had bought from ebay sources. However after 8 months of being kicked in the teeth and stabbed in the back by ebay I am just so totally sick and tired of it.

• psb
      1 year ago

Chris, this is paranoid nonsense. What possible motive would ebay have for hiding the listings of you, little small business Chris in the Uk, away?? Ebay do not give a tinker’s cuss about your listings.

If your items are appearing down the page it is due to ebay’s incompetent search engine. It is NOT a malicious, targeted campaign against you. Ebay do not know who you are, or care.

What do you sell? I bet it is a really competitive market. If your product was niche, it would sell.

1 year ago

Good question what motive would eBay have to hide listings now if you think about it eBay make money on each sale in two ways a listing fee or subscription and a FVF

By throttling sales and sharing them across sellers eBay will increase their revenue from listing and shop fees FVF are determined by demand and eBay have no way to change demand.

If you think of it as a lottery their is one winner the seller who sells but the more tickets you sell listing fees the more money the lottery company makes or eBay in this case.

Sorry if you cant work this out but its one reason for eBay to throttle sales and hide listings but don’t let this open your eyes to what’s happening.

• psb
      1 year ago

The company I work for have been selling on ebay for ten years now. Over that time I checked our listings from many different computers, in many different locations, both in this country and abroad, using both our own log in and various private log-ins. Never, ever, ever in those ten years have any of our listings not been visible or “hidden”. They have always been there, healthily positioned in the listings due to their sales record.

Therefore, I completely refute this “throttling” nonsense which is peddled by people who are failing in a competitive marketplace or simply sell cheap tat that no-one wants to buy.

1 year ago

PSB ok just because you have not noticed your listings not showing many others have maybe your not up to your hidden limit or the company you work for is one of eBay’s chosen few who is not subject to the same service many others are.

I don’t know if you have access to the eBay invoices for the company you work for but there is some interesting coincidences on the invoices across a number of months on mine and many others.

Hidden selling limits have been accidently confirmed by eBay from an internal document so if they don’t throttle sales how do they implement these hidden limits that were published by accident.

Have you seen the screen shots of the leaked document or do you deny that exists as well.

• psb
    1 year ago

……or maybe you decide to sell incredibly popular products such as phone covers, or you try to compete with very popular companies and then you explain away your poor sales by these ludicrous conspiracy theories…

If I were buying a product, I would look to buy it from a reputable company, not from someone selling it from their garage.

• Michael Hasted
      1 year ago

Amazon started from a garage.

• Jason R
    1 year ago

Psb, you are an imbecile and a troll.

• psb
      1 year ago

“An imbecile and a troll”. Why? Because I don’t believe your ludicrous, ill-conceived and puerile conspiracy theories? Grow up, for God’s sake.

• psb
    1 year ago

Steve, if my memory serves me right, you and others have been blathering on about this “leaked document” for years. Ten years down the line you still will be. It must be so tedious being so obsessed with the same issue. Ebay don’t care. The big wide world doesn’t care. I don’t care. Give it a rest. People don’t want to buy your grossly overpriced anoraks on ebay. That’s all there is to it.

1 year ago

The document was only leaked a couple of years ago so tell me again what nonsense are you blathering on about? I guess you are now so confused you don’t know what year it is if you cant offer any proof its not happening why not just shut up yourself 🙂

PS I don’t sell anoraks do you ?

So come on give us proof its not happening sorry you cant because you don’t have a clue.

Maybe your only selling a few hundred items anoraks a week and its not enough to show the patterns so you never see what others are so please don’t dismiss the others who can see what you cant.

• psb
    1 year ago

Jason – understand this – nobody wants to buy your joblots of malfunctioning batteries, tatty crafts, birthday banners or mobile phone accessories.

I will say it for the last time as loud as possible – NOBODY WANTS TO BUY YOUR TAT.

Goodbye, enjoy your “throttling”.