eBay expand Global Shipping Programme

By Chris Dawson July 4, 2016 - 10:38 am

Global Shipping ProgrameBay are expanding the Global Shipping Programme yet again to add dozens more countries to the list of those that sellers can ship to as easily as if they were selling within the UK.

The new countries added are: Antigua & Barbuda; Aruba; Bangladesh; Barbados; Belize; Bermuda; Bolivia; Brunei Darussalam; Cambodia; Cayman Islands; Dominica; Ecuador; Egypt; French Guiana; Gibraltar; Grenada; Guadeloupe; Guernsey; Iceland; Jersey; Jordan; Liechtenstein; Macau; Maldives; Martinique; Monaco; Montserrat; Nicaragua; Oman; Pakistan; Paraguay; Peru; Reunion; Saint Kitts & Nevis; Saint Lucia; Sri Lanka; and Turks & Caicos Islands.

Buyers in these countries can now purchase from eBay UK and all the seller has to do is ship to the eBay processing centre in the Midlands. From then on eBay handle the export paperwork, worry about customs and duties and protect the seller from any substandard feedback.

For the buyer the advantage is that they get clear up front pricing including shipping and duty so that there are no nasty unexpected surprises when the item arrives.

Whilst many professional sellers have their own international shipping arrangements and this is clearly a programme aimed at getting the casual and consumer sellers involved in cross border trade with a minimum of fuss, eBay’s Global Shipping Programme is also ideal for filling in the gaps when there are countries you don’t wish to ship to.

Shipping to friendly neighbouring EU countries like France and Germany is simple, but others like Italy have a notoriously unreliable service, so why not make Italy eBay’s problem and keep the easy countries on your own inhouse courier?

• TINKER
    1 year ago

yeah nowt said about it being two or 3 times more expensive than many carriers , extended delivery times,
    and no credible managed return system so thieves simply ask for a return label for free goods

• TINKER

to clarify
      all a buyer needs to do is claim an item is not as described
      the seller then needs to provide a return label or a paypal payment upfront to cover the cost of return[insanely expensive to ship tracked to the uk from some countries]
      if the seller fails or is unwilling to provide these, ebay refunds the buyer in full , you lose the goods and your seller performance is black marked,

• Dean
    1 year ago

“So why not make Italy eBay’s problem and keep the easy countries on your own inhouse courier?”

If only it was that easy.
    With GSP you have to have it totally on or off for a listing.

For a listing, you can’t have selected countries by Royal Mail and other countries by GSP. It’s either one or the other.
    You can have one listing GSP and another listing by Royal Mail for example.
    But not a mix of the two shipping methods within one listing.

I was hoping that you could have the best of both and checked this with eBay last year to be given the bad news.
    When I saw this post I thought that perhaps it had changed so I called eBay today to ask how it could be done. Unfortunately they told me that nothing has changed regarding this.
    If someone does know how to offer GSP and another shipping option for a listing then please let me know as I would love it to be this way.

• Conal
      1 year ago

You can definitely have it both ways on one listing. You just set postage on the countries you want to ship to and in the GSP setting under Site Preferences there is an option to allow your postage rules override GSP.

• Dean
      1 year ago

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

After reading your reply I checked back with Seller Support to find that I had been given incorrect advice earlier in the week.

I have now opted-in and currently the GSP will be shown to all buyers.
      GSP and my current shipping options will be shown to buyers on my approved country list (all countries that I have not excluded). I can then go in to each listing and remove the GSP from that listing to just show my original shipping.

For countries on my excluded list, the GSP only will show giving customers in that country the option to purchase with GSP.

I now need to check this in action as the above is just what I have been told. But it now looks like I can have the best of both.
      Cheers!

• Andy R
    1 year ago

Never had a problem with sending items to Italy, or France, or Germany.

The country with the largest % of losses since we started trading in 2003, is:

The United States Of America.

Take a bow Uncle Sam.

Tracked or Signed For items just vanish at the Hudsons Bay NY depot and are never seen again.

But I will say this much – the tracking on the USPS site is infinitely better than Royal Mail.

Examples:

RM: Your item has been passed to the other country for delivery.

USPS: 2.14pm and 36 seconds, your item has arrived at the Hudsons Bay NY Depot and is sitting in the corner in a comfy chair smoking a woodbine.

• Michael Hasted
      1 year ago

NJ is a poor area they will nick anything not welded down.

• Steven Elkins
    1 year ago

and I note in the recent updated terms and condition that pitney bowes will not recover customs duties on returned items? the GSP, is just a over priced rip off and should be banned by Goverment.

• tinker

yes ebay pitney bowes
      will take your money. massage your concerns. promise plain sailing,
      ship an item to anywhere your daft enough to let them,
      then its your problem to get it back, when thieves and liars abuse ebays own conditions

• tinker
    1 year ago

sellers are opted in by default
    the naive and inexperienced are thrown into a shark infested sea
    thinking there in a paddling pool with life guards

• Chris
    1 year ago

Do you have to revise the listings for the new countries to be added?
    Or is it automatic via eBay?

• tinker

we have not checked
      but you can be certain its automatic
      ,ebay profit from it ?

• Sarah
    1 year ago

I spoke with eBay about this program and they really sold it to me. When I asked what the cons were they said none. When i asked if it took longer they ‘yes, but you have the added security…’ so basically they are not being truthful about the negatives. I decided to research it as I felt it was not an honest description i was being given. Low and behold hoards of unhappy obeyers and only very few happy ones with this service.

Cons- much more expensive
    -still open to fraud
    -takes longer to ship
    -excess charges in shipping taxes adde at time of purchase so seems like it’s all postage and very high

Also as a side note I have noticed recently a huge surge in orders from Germany and a massive return rate. Nearly new items being returned as not as described when described as in very good condition. I think the recent return rate is something like 25-30%. And it’s only Germany… have maybe recieved 30/40 orders from Germany in the past few months (by far the biggest european country for orders) and many returned items. Frustrating as these are expensive items sent by tracked delivery and of course I loose the shipping twice when it returned not as described.

• tinker

its outrageous

ebay supply the sales platform ,the buyer, the shipping method,
      the rules & conditions,
      yet no support against blatant abuse and robbery of the return system.
      indeed when you contact support you can get as much patronising time wasting frustrating babble as you can suffer