How have you voted in the UK EU Referendum?

By Chris Dawson June 23, 2016 - 10:01 pm

EU hmToday is the day. What they’re billing as the biggest vote in a generation is upon us. Will we stay or will we go? (Of course, many of you will have voted already by post.)

Tamebay hasn’t taken a position on Bremain or Brexit. That’s largely because we don’t think it’s our place to express an editorial view. You’re clever people and your decision will be based on your personal politics and circumstances. And, needless to say, your position is more complex than just pure business concerns.

But when it comes to the Editors at Tamebay, it perhaps won’t surprise you to learn that Dan is committed to remain and Chris is undecided.

But what really matters is what you think. And we’d love it if you would share your position. And when the results come in on Friday we’ll see how Tamebay readers compare to the result. It’s really just a bit of fun and completely anonymous. So vote in this poll too.

But do share a view in comments. We always love hearing your views. And let’s see what happens.

[poll id=”5″]

• Sam O'levski
    12 months ago

Interesting results so far – 25 total votes with 16 leave and 7 remain.
    I honestly expected the majority of tamebay voters to vote remain due to their need to do business with the rest of Europe, but perhaps their objections to the amount of red tape has had an effect, in addition to other more ‘political’ considerations ?
    Be interesting to see how it goes throughout the day, and the analysis of tamebay results, as we’re going to be swamped by media discussions of the national voting for a fair while.

• 12 months ago

I do not think being in the EU makes any difference to most sellers as in or out when you sell many items at less then £15 in value tariffs and duty do not come into it.

• 12 months ago

Not the case, it’s cripping for a lot of business that sell on eBay.
      What a disasterous moral and financial result.

• TINKER
    12 months ago

Europe aint going to go away its been around since AD43 and the roman empire , Spanish armada , William of Orange George of Hanover, Napoleon, Prince Albert, The Kaiser, D Day, and the England football team making pillocks of us

• Martin
      12 months ago

Just a quip from Facebook. England football team can’t vote, because they can’t find the box, and even
      if they did they couldn’t put a cross in it.

• TINKER

prefer not to say is up and running @2%
    what I wonder is why bother ticking if you prefer not to say,
    no one knows anyhow ,its anonimous lol

• 12 months ago

Voted IN. Would be madness to vote out when our business has been constantly growing with Europe over the past decade.

• Craig
      12 months ago

Same here and totally agree. Growing month after month in Europe and cutting that off is madness.

• Simon
      12 months ago

Can you explain where it has been declared that we are cutting ourselves off by being outside the EU?

The rest of the world is able to trade with the EU, so no reason why the 5th largest economy in the world can’t either.

If you have products that people want to buy, they will buy them.

• Stuart
      12 months ago

The problem is the leave campaign haven’t explained what WILL happen, as I am afraid they don’t know and there is no plan.

You can’t base a business decision on no plan or information as to what would happen if we leave!

• 12 months ago

A serious error in those who say to remain.
      Business with the EU has been going down and not up as they suggest. With half of the EU members broke they are not in a position to buy anyway. So if you want to be in an expanding market – like we are with the rest of the world not a falling market as in the EU vote LEAVE

• Boss-Hog
    12 months ago

Agree, brexit is big risk for us all, remain is the safe, sensible option, and if we don’t like the way the EU looks in 10-15 years we can always vote again to leave..

• 12 months ago

Totally agree with you. A permanent decision shouldn’t be rushed.

• 12 months ago

Not certain about Voting again in 10 to 15 years. Certainly not in my case I am 65(66 in August) and I voted in the original 1974 referendum and 2016. Doubt if I will be around for next time. Anyway surely the basket case of the Euro will bring the whole of the EU to its knees far sooner than 10 to 15 years?

• Sam O'levski
      12 months ago

I honestly believe that many in the remain camp have no idea of just how strongly many leave voters feel about a couple of issues, and in fact lots of those I’ve spoken to actually do not care what happens if we leave the EU.
      I have a b&m shop in a smallish town with a fair number of tourists from around the uk coming here, and have spoken to many of them over the past few weeks.
      The general feeling seems to be that no matter what happens afterwards, they want to send a message to the government about immigration/ asylum/ etc and the refusal of the government (In their opinion) to actually listen and reply to concerns.
      In a general election, there are many other issues which can persuade voters to perhaps change normal voting patterns, but with this being a single question issue, many see it as their best chance to make a point and be heard.

• Tim
      12 months ago

Hitler felt strongly about a couple of issues.

I see Farage has already backtracked on the NHS money….

• Peter King
      12 months ago

He can hardly backtrack on something he never said in the first place.

• 12 months ago

erm, you sure about that….

• Fred
  • Rob
    12 months ago

If it’ll be so difficult to trade with Europe if we Brexit, how come our shops are full of Chinese and South Korean products? They have no trouble exporting to the EU without being part of the so-called single market.

It’s about time politicians stopped getting in the way of trade. People all around the world want to buy and sell goods without daft tariffs and restrictions. Free trade makes countries better off, unless they’re selling c**p.

Vote Leave and quickly establish free trade agreements. It can’t be that difficult!

• 12 months ago

I always wonder what tarrifs everyone’s referring to. What tariffs do we have to pay ?

• A Nonny Mouse
    12 months ago

If I put my own selfish greed above all else there would be no question for me.
    It would be REMAIN.
    As an online seller I sell a lot in to the EU and leaving would make it more expensive for my EU customers to buy from my business = less profit for me.
    I don’t want to shoot myself in the foot so my selfish head says REMAIN.

However it’s not about me. It’s bigger than my “I’m alright Jack” attitude.
    It’s about society and it’s ability to choose who ultimately governs us (UK politicians), how they govern us and what rules they use to do so.
    In exchange for its democratic sovereignty, the EU offers Britain not power (as some claim) but a one-twenty-eighth share of collective decision-making with countries whose interests are badly aligned with those of the UK population.
    I don’t think that is good for Britain.
    So I am voting for what is good for my country and the society I live in, and not just for my ability to have a few extra quid in my back pocket.
    My LEAVE vote has been cast.

• TINKER
      12 months ago

Decapitation can harm your health?

• A Nonny Mouse
      12 months ago

Leaving is not about cutting off your head.
      It is about cutting the ties on the straitjacket.

• TINKER
      12 months ago

there will be no instant cure Westminster is no better than Brussels
      just look at the way the silly buggers have performed recently

• 12 months ago

I’m in mostly because it makes sense to work together instead of apart. We’ve had 70 years of peace because of the co-operative nature of the EU and although far from perfect it’s better than going it alone.
    There’s a certain arrogance to this idea that Britain is somehow better than the rest of Europe – we’re just another country at the end of the day.
    And up here in the North East we are classed as a deprived region so we get out far more from the EU than we put in – and I don’t trust any government to make up the shortfall if we leave – they certainly haven’t in the past. I believe Cornwall and one or two other areas are in the same position.

• Andy R

Voted to leave.

We can re-negotiate trade and economic agreements.

But we can’t re-negotiate our sovereignty.

Never imagined things would get like this back in 73, when that 50p with the hands on the back came out.

• Simon
    12 months ago

Sorry but it’s just not true that the EU has been responsible for peace. It is directly linked to NATO and more specifically the US in post-war Europe.

Also no one is saying that we are better than any other country. We just want to run our country in our own best interests and have healthy relationships with all countries globally, not stuck inside a union which restricts our ability to do deals with other countries around the world.

• Martin
    12 months ago

On the contrary, the achievement of peace in Europe was one of the motivations behind the original European Coal and Steel Community immediately post WW2. It is also true NATO have played a major role, but the fact is that the leader of every NATO member state has said publically they want the UK to stay in the EU.

Sovereignty is largely a myth. According to various non-aligned fact checker websites, the UK has agreed with and supported 95% of EU laws, and has won 98% of decisions in the European Court of Justice. It is just the some of our media only highlight the very few that go against us.

Whatever sovereignty we have won’t make the international migration crisis go away, it won’t make it easier to do business internationally, it won’t change our agreed treaty commitments with other countries, or our UN obligations, it won’t stop wars in other parts of the world. It is a nice idea but of very limited value to this country, and of no help in creating a better world. In my view it is hugely outweighed by the long term advantage of EU membership.

Being in the EU is a decision that is in our best interests long term, and does give us healthy relationships with the major trading nations worldwide. The limitations are insignificant by comparison.

• JD

~
    Tamebay readers called it!

Well done.

• tinker
    12 months ago

great upheaval and change ahead, just take ebay uk with its operations in Dublin & Luxembourg

• Mr Jones
    12 months ago

The people have spoken, the vote is the vote and must be respected.

My worry is that the EU will punish the UK economically, to discourage other euro-sceptic countries such as France from pushing a similar stunt.
    In fact, without a doubt, the EU will push fear in to other countries considering leaving, by punishing the UK in as many ways as possible.

• Gary
      12 months ago

Not convinced by the “EU will punish the UK economically” argument. The whole world will be watching how the EU handles this and if the EU is perceived as being a schoolmaster punishing a bad boy then this is hardly a recipe for creating a convivial environment that the EU may require in any of its trade and other negotiations with others. At the end of the day will the world be willing to do any deals of any type with the EU if, as an organisation, it is perceived as only having self interest and protectionism at its heart?

The EU beurocrats may say one thing but the EU business world may have entirely different ideas.

• John
    12 months ago

Just got off the phone to AMazon Germany. Apparently Amazon will at some point be issuing a detailed update on what will happen with EU selling / FBA stock in EU etc. That is the most interesting thing I am waiting for.

• Peter King
      12 months ago

If your stock is still there in 2 years i think brexit is the least of your worries.

• Gareth Barns
    12 months ago

I frequently sell and buy from eBay.com and eBay.co.uk – if it’s easy to sell to the US, why would it be that much harder for UK sellers to sell in Europe? The UK will always be part of Europe, and other European countries will always be reliant on export and import trade with the UK too.
    In the shorter term, if the pound devalues, it makes it more lucrative for buyers in Europe, whereas previously a stronger pound was an impediment.