Amazon can’t track parcels once shipped

By Chris Dawson June 8, 2016 - 7:31 pm

Amazon CourierAmazon made a cock up of my latest order and this is news! Yes, Amazon are so amazingly great at delivering their products that as far as I can recall this is only the second delivery issue I’ve ever had with them (and the first one wasn’t entirely their fault).

However it has revealed a chink in Amazon’s armour – they are so highly automated that they’re unable to a) track parcels once they’re in the system and b) front line support staff aren’t able to contact their own Amazon Logistics couriers depots.

Amazon Pantry Delivery Box SMThis week on Saturday I placed an Amazon Pantry order – typically delivery is two days for Amazon Pantry so it should have arrived on Tuesday when I’d be home all day. Unfortunately one of the two boxes was misrouted and ended up in Croydon instead of Southampton and I was notified there would be a 24-48 hour delay.

We all know that cock ups happen, especially when operating at scale so I wasn’t that bothered. All I wanted to know from Amazon is would the remainder of my order be delivered on Tuesday or would it be Wednesday?

I wanted to be home as my nominated safe place is the green house and with the baking hot sunny weather the green house temperature has been hitting 100 degrees. I wouldn’t be bothered about general merchandise purchases but food parcels are different. The prospect of boiled orange juice, baked cat food and melted chocolate biscuits isn’t the slightest bit appealing.

Where Amazon’s logistics falls down

This is where Amazon failed, there was a complete inability to find out which day I needed to stay in to receive my shipment. It turned up on Tuesday in the end and I happened to be home, but why couldn’t Amazon confirm this, especially as the parcel was on it’s way to the Southampton depot by 8:28am on the Monday.

I did in the end get an email telling me that Amazon would resolve my issue and reply by email before the 10th of June!

The only other issue I had with Amazon again related to their inability to track parcels once in their system. I had received an item I hadn’t ordered and when I queried it with Amazon it turned out that they have no way to match an Amazon Logistics tracking number to an order. If you know your order number they can tell you the tracking number, but not the other way around.

In this instance it turned out to be a mis-picked product that I’d purchased on eBay. Not surprising I didn’t know why I had received it as I was expecting a totally different item, but if Amazon could have told me from the tracking number that it was shipped for a non-Amazon purchase I might have realised it was an eBay order sooner.

Amazon cock up – The exception rather than the rule

I might be nit picking here and you’ll probably have read this thinking my complaints are trivial… and you’d be right. What it really goes to show is that generally Amazon’s fulfilment capabilities are amazing. That’s why when something goes wrong it’s noteworthy as the exception rather than the rule.

• DLG
    9 months ago

I’ve noticed Amazon logistics have gone off the boil. Two weeks ago I ordered some (liquid) plant foods, other plant paraphernalia, and a paperbook book. I knew the package would be heavy, and liquids and books *might* not mix easily, but thought Amazon would work that out.

On the day of delivery I got a string of emails from Amazon saying that my order had been refunded and the items were on their way back to Amazon. No reason was given. But I suspect one of the plant food bottles had leaked, the driver spotted that, and sensibly never delivered.

Moderately annoying for me as I had been waiting at home all day for my parcel to arrive, but I realised Amazon are going to have to get delivering liquids right every single time if they want Pantry to work. I was amazed Amazon haven’t worked out how to deliver a mixed order of liquids and solids.

• Tim
    9 months ago

If your order was from eBay then Amazon would not have your order number as they are only acting as the carrier. Would Royal Mail or Yodel be able to tell you the order number in that same situation?

And you can track your Amazon parcel (if purchased from Amazon or FBA) on your Amazon account.

• 9 months ago

Amazon should at least have been able to tell me it was a third party order. They couldn’t even look up the tracking number

• Tim
      9 months ago

Would Royal Mail or Yodel ext be able to give you any more information than Amazon Logistics could?

I feel like this is a moan for the sake of moaning.

You ordered something from eBay you received something from a carrier put 2 and 2 together.

It should be the seller you moan to for sending the wrong item and not letting you know it was being delivered by Amazon Logistics surely.

• james
      9 months ago

if you buy on ebay and they ship with DPD, DPD can tell you exactly where it is.
      if you buy on ebay and they ship with Yodel, Yodel can tell you exactly where it is (though it’s likely “in the bin”)
      if you buy on ebay and they ship with Amazon fulfilment, Amazon fulfilment are completely clueless as to anything to do with your parcel, and cant help in any way whatsoever.

• Tim
      9 months ago

if you buy on eBay and they ship with Amazon fulfilment the BUYER can tell you where it is. But thats not the issue in hand. He didnt need to know where it was because it had been delivered….

If you have the tracking number can Yodel tell you the order number? (bearing in mind the BUYER has not put the order number on this Amazon delivery – which is possible)

• Kyle
    9 months ago

I returned a printer and toner via DPD to Amazon a while back. About a week later the printer was delivered back to us by MyHermes. Amazon told me that DPD delivered to the wrong warehouse and Amazon does not have the ability to move stock between warehouses so it was easier to send the printer back to me.

They collected the printer again and second time went fine. However the toner has never reappeared and they recharged my card for it so I had to contact support to get a second refund. Most likely the seller never received their toner back and are also out of money just because Amazon can’t track items inside its own system.

• Tim
      9 months ago

Was it Amazon you purchased the item from or a marketplace seller?

• Kyle
      9 months ago

The printer was Amazon Prime from Amazon and the toner was Amazon Prime from FBA.

Amazon got their printer back but lost the third party seller’s toner even though they were both in the same shipment.

Tamebay eBooks