Package Guard Kickstarter bid to stop doorstep parcel theft

By Dan Wilson March 15, 2016 - 11:41 am

A US entrepreneur has started a Kickstarter campaign to fun a device that will help stop the theft of parcels from doorsteps and porches.

Mike Grabham is seeking a $45,000 Kickstarter investment for the invention he’s calling Package Guard.

Roughly the size of a dinner plate or Frisbee, Package Guard is connected to your Wi-fi and is a place where deliverymen can drop parcels.

The device will then alert a customer that their package has been delivered to their premises. And if someone tries to take the parcel it sets off a loud alarm alerting you to the theft.

If you get involved with the Kickstarter campaign you can get Package Guard for $40 preorder on Kickstarter although it has an expected RRP of $69 to $79 if it comes to market.

Grabham says: “The product is really simple. It sits on your doorstep and when UPS or Amazon or FedEx puts a package down on top of it, it lets you and your neighbors know with e-mail and text alerts that you’ve gotten a delivery. If someone tries to take a package, they get scared off because the packages cover the device, so they don’t know it’s alarmed. Also, it’s pretty loud.”

Now, obviously, this is a US invention but we also know that there is room for improvement in the “safe place” delivery culture in the UK.

Check out the video demo here:

• Mark

Umm… not sure if I’m missing something from the concept, but if it alerts you that something has been delivered, that means that you’re not there to do anything if someone drives up, throws it in their car and drives away – alarm or no alarm?!

Please check our home delivery drop box that will protect against package theft and it will last for years. Both units are powder coated to protect against theft.
      Please share this link

• Mark.T

How many car alarms go off in your neighbourhood?

How many house alarms go off in your neighbourhood?

How many times do you rush out to see who needs wrestling to the ground or videoing (for evidence)?

Also, if the package hides the device, there is no deterrent effect.

Mark

• elvis

If this takes off it will be the same as car alarms. When a car alarm goes off no one looks , cares, or takes any notice at all. It would be the same with these if they went mainstream

• Ross

It sounds interesting although it probably depends how secure the device itself is.
    A few years ago I had a security camera stolen from outside a property, this would probably be a doddle for some Salford kids!

I’m also confused as to what happens if you get two or three parcels delivered.

• Tinker

Click and collect anyone? Its urban areas this will be a problem where there are post offices coops argos sainsbury etc etc why not just collect it from them

• Chris

off topic, but anybody’s eBay sales hit a wall?

• Steve

Yep sales have dropped down about 80% since last week nothing is selling something must have changed

• Steve

Same here, unsure what is going on?

• Ian

Been dead for me since early Friday. A brief uptake on Sunday but Monday and today so far absolutely dead. Two things I have noticed today is that the “manage my currency” option has disappeared from Paypal. I sell on.com .com au and .de and was unable to convert currency today until calling Paypal and asking them to process it there end. They couldn’t give me an answer on why this has happened but raised a ticket. I don’t know if this could be having an effect on other peoples international sales but my international listings all appear to be invisible today but still active in my inventory (checked on .com, .de and .com au). I would advise anyone experiencing slow sales to check your international listings visibility.

• Ian

Yes completely dead last 24 hours

I thought it was only me. Yes ebay has been dead for a while now. I was just comparing my Sales this year with the corresponding Sales from 2015. Last year was good this year a waste of time.

You are providing the thief with a free Package Guard, as well as new batteries, which can be removed to stop the alarm.

You can sell them both on ebay to make a tidy profit.

• Ian T.

I would love to see this product pitched to the dragon’s in Dragon’s Den. Would any invest I wonder?

• james

dun-dun-dun-dun, dun-dun-dun….

bag of sand in one hand, quick swipe, escape rolling boulders and herd of pygmies, quick getaway with the goods indie style.