BST starts next Sunday how it affects eBay Auctions

By Chris Dawson March 20, 2016 - 6:18 pm

Cat Clock smThis coming Sunday, the 27th of March British Summer Time begins. Everyone loses an hour’s sleep but no one cares as the evenings get longer and at last there’s a good chance that you’ll get home from work while it’s still light.

One thing that will change is what time your eBay auctions end. If you started a seven day auction today at 7pm, then next Sunday it’ll finish at 8pm. This is because eBay will still give you a full 168 hours (7 days each 24 hours long). I your listing finished at 7pm after the clocks change then you’d be short changed and only get 167 hours.

This does mean that if you generally have your auctions end late in the evening that they might finish after all your bidders have gone to bed. You have been warned.

• Sam O'levski

I’d love to know how many sellers expect a 3 day auction listing to run for exactly 72 hours, and how many want the auction to end at a fairly precise time.
    Surely it would be better to have auctions end at the same time of day they’re started at, whether or not we lose or gain an hour ?
    There must be loads of sellers twice a year scratching their heads trying to work out if auctions will end an hour earlier or later, and quite a few will of course guess wrongly.

• Tinker

Here we go the annual bollocks about an hour,
    List international !someone will be awake what ever time it ends ,

Surely at what time an Auction or indeed any other Listing ends is more important to a Buyer rather than a Seller. Sellers hope that every item listed sells and should not be that concerned if it is a hour either way.

However Buyers if they are really interested in buying will stay up and bid to the end if they expect the item to be that attractive to other Buyers. Otherwise they should bid on it and go to bed and hope that nobody else jumps in later.

I know from the Books that I sell on Auction that often there is only one bidder and as I have priced the Book at a fair price the Buyer is getting a Fair Deal.

As Easter is now so very close May I take this opportunity to Wish Everybody at or on Tamebay a very happy Easter although the Weather Reports that I have seen indicate that it will not be Sunny and Warm so Typical Bank Holiday Weather.

• Sam O'levski

Chris – many sellers will have a target audience in mind, be it mums who do a school run, people working 9-5 and so on, so an hour either way might mean you miss them altogether.
      If you indeed expect to sell every item you list, and if you actually manage to sell over half of them, you are a very lucky person these days.
      I can list stuff at around a quarter of what I easily attained a couple of years ago, and don’t get many page views never mind bids – lots of other sellers both uk and stateside find the same thing going by the discussion boards.

• Gary

What about watchers? They note the auction end time and want to bid at the last minute. How often do you get messages in the period after the clock changes questioning why you as a seller changed the auction finish time? More so when we move from BST to GMT of course.

On the “sunny and warm at easter” theme it depends where you are. I can guarantee it will be sunny and warm during my Easter break! 🙂

On ‘Watchers’. Why does anybody ‘Watch’ a ‘Buy it Now’ Listing. After all there is little or no chance of the Price being reduced. Surely if they want the, in my case, Book, then they should ‘Buy it Now’ after all that sums up exactly what the listing is all about. But no they will ‘Watch’ it until the last minute and then buy it.

A while ago I had a ‘Buy it Now’ Listing end. A short time later I had a message from a potential customer. He had been ‘Watching’ the listing for a while but as it ended in the middle of the night he had missed buying the Book because he was in bed…asleep…obviously needed his beauty sleep more than the Book…But if he wanted it why had he not bought it when he first saw it listed rather than ‘Watch’ it????

• TINKER

there are many snipe programs or you can always leave bids
      this hour thing is easily dealt with ,

• Angela H

The auction end time on the listing will be correct and will be the actual end time. For instance I started some 10 day auctions yesterday at 16:26, the end time on the listing is 17:26.

• Sam O'levski

Correct me if I’m wrong, but the end time doesn’t show until after you’ve actually listed the item, so someone aiming to catch a particular group of people might end up missing them entirely.
      For example if the seller forgets or calculates wrongly, the auction could end in the middle of some peak viewing period on television or something, so fewer people will be ‘live’ on ebay.

• Angela H

That is correct. However ebay have already made an announcement on their site about how the changing of clocks will affect auction listings. They do it everytime there is a change. To be honest they cannot win either way can they? If they don’t give the ‘extra’ hour sellers would be up in arms about losing an hour.

• Tinker

nothing forcing you to end an auction on the 27th of march if you do if an hour either way is so critical to its value ,maybe you should not be listing that item at all

• radroach

It’s not just March 27th – any auction which starts before, and ends after, the clock change will be impacted.

• chrissieboy

always a problem if you have listings start/end same time/same day each week i.e Sunday night. Regular buyer know this and then forget about hour and miss the bidding, more of a problem when the hour goes back of course and usually catches me out, mind you as it’s Easter Sunday i’ve nothing ending anyway