Reports of website problems on eBay UK today

By Dan Wilson February 26, 2016 - 7:16 pm

We’ve been inundated today with messages and comments regarding eBay’s website. As many of you have noted there have been site problems today on eBay UK that have had a significant impact on using the marketplace to buy and sell. We reported the issue this morning.

In the absence of an official announcement from eBay, here’s what we know:

– Beginning at approximately 7:30am this morning

– Problems experienced by sellers included not being able to access the eBay.co.uk site at all, pages not loading, difficulty logging in, problems using key functions in My eBay such as using My Messages. Others reported a general sluggishness with the site.

– Whilst seemingly widespread, it’s not universal. And the heat map on downdetector suggested problems were centred in England and Wales.

– Some have speculated that the cause could be a BT network problem. BT is reporting broadband issues across a wide swathe of the country but if it is a BT issue that doesn’t really explain why only eBay is affected and others aren’t.

– eBay.com was unaffected.

– We’ve had reports from users of third party software that they were not affected.
Apps were also affected.

– It does seem to be ongoing at time of writing. (Roughly 7pm on Friday). Although down detector reports have diminished.

The site problems have obviously been a major headache for sellers, some of whom report that they have been unable to process orders and make their despatches for the day. And that could have an impact on their Seller Performance. It’s less than a week since the new on time despatch metric was launched and problems such as these really do hamper a seller’s ability to do the right thing.

How have you been affected?

dd

• Richard
    1 year ago

Still ongoing from earlier today. The rest of the Web is fine ,I’m on BT Infinity, every other site is as fast as normal. eBay is like an arthritic snail and many times page won’t load and time out.

If there is a specific eBay / BT problem they need to sort it out fast.

• 1 year ago

10+ years on eBay and I genuinely can’t recall a Friday like this, aside from no sales and the complete lack of ability to process Thursdays orders what about communication FFS?

The announcements page won’t load, has nobody in Richmond heard of Twitter or Facebook FFS. WTF is going on?

You lot couldn’t run a ******** bath.

Pathetic.

• 1 year ago

Sounds very similar to an ISP (probably like today BT but who knows) issue I remember from 2014

• Gerry007

Either not loading with :

This web page is not available

ERR_CONNECTION_RESET

OR, very, very slow….!!

• Andy R
      1 year ago

Look, there is no mystery here.

It’s a Friday.

On Friday’s Ebay shut the place down to do whatever nasty manipulation they want to crowbar in.

The problems started at 7.20, right in the middle of this period.

So it has Ebay’s horrible finger prints all over it.

Don’t start blaming BT.

I read a post on Ebay messages at around 7pm tonight from an Ebay CS,” thanking someone for drawing their attention to the problems”

So if they’ve only just noticed there is a problem at 7pm tonight………..

• thewrongtrousers
      1 year ago

Started the night before for us. Also our ISP (Plusnet) said there were problems on the lines (home and work) and that they would take 72 hours to fix. Different problem on each line apparently. Although it is only eBay thats is affected speed tests show very slow speeds. Not 100% sure I believe them but personally think it is a problem with both of them as they were both doing major work on Thursday evening.

• 1 year ago

eBay has been mostly inaccessible for us all today, they are blaming BT but we use plusnet and Virgin broadband and also Three on the mobile network and could not access eBay from any of them.

I run a business that unfortunately relied too heavily on eBay, we have 10 members of staff who I still had to pay today even though we could not get all our orders and orders were well down compared to a normal day.

eBay brings us so much grief and hassle that today’s outage has made me really think about if it’s worth it. We pay them tens of thousands of pounds a month in fees and they treat us like dirt, eBay don’t give a damn about sellers. They make us jump through hoops and regard us as criminals.

Today’s experience just proves that eBay are on a slippery slope, That I can’t see them recovering from easily.

There must be easier, less hassle ways of selling than eBay.

I think it’s time to start investing my tens of thousands per month in eBay fees elsewhere.

• steve
    1 year ago

Great timing ebay. We only have 700 listings to revise this weekend and can hardly access the site!

• The Courier

Ebay is a website

Websites break

No one is trying to steal your kidneys with a rusty spoon.

• 1 year ago

There’s a good chance this time that the website didn’t break… just the Internet’s connection to the website which to be fair is somewhat out of their control… although I’d have thought eBay would have had the clout to ring any major ISP and get them to jump a bit until it was fixed

• Wendy Kenny
    1 year ago

I signed out and tried to sign back in on both phone and hudl and its saying my email/username is incorrect. I tried to go for another password just in case and it is still “loading” very annoying !!!

• Gerry007
    1 year ago

Only 4 comments above, but there are mean;t to be 9, where are they….?

• Tinker
      1 year ago

Same here missing comments in main thread though showing on side bar refresh clear cookies sometimes works

• 1 year ago

We’ve got a bit of a wrinkle on comments at the moment. It’s our fault. Not BT’s and we’re on it. Apologies in the meantime.

• Tinker
    1 year ago

And messages still timing out on landline yet no problems mobile

• Christopher
    1 year ago

3rd party software *was* affected – sixbit had issues with slow updates of sales, and timeouts when revising listings (ebay unaccessable error). Aimco – albeit web based scraping – also failed to load selling manager pages.

Had to fall back to using iphone / 4g as accespoint to do anything, otherwise i’d have missed all dispatches yesterday.

• Tinker
    1 year ago

Problems with hotel booking site on landline this morning no problem mobile ,
    Could it be the way some websites are coded and linked

• Duncan Hill
    1 year ago

Just as per yesterday, still having problems accessing Ebay this end (BT line near Swansea).

Messages time out twice, but after the 3rd refresh usually loads fine, as if nothing was wrong… so this issue has affected me for over 24 hours.

Granted, as the Courier says above, it’s just one of those things with technology. However my main business is Ebay and we pay for BT Broadband and a monthly Ebay shop.

• katakitty
    1 year ago

Exactly the same this morning, messages are timing out and pages not loading.

I’m on BT Broadband but no other website is causing these issues. Firefox will eventually load but Chrome is just hopeless, nothing whatsoever.

• 1 year ago

Ebay replied to me on facebook late last night when I had diplomatically asked for an update on their timeline.
    They maintain it is a BT fault but were not willing to debate this – just closed answers!
    Anyway, even if BT is at fault, I would estimate that losing at least half of your audience / buyers / income is a bit of a problem?
    It’s a bit like saying you have blue eyes so we can’t log you in! Surely a large company like eBay has better grounds to talk to BT than thousands of BT customers going direct to BT.
    Anyway, I use a BT line through a wholesale supplier and as noted by others can get on every other site in the land other than eBay at home. I have come to my parent’s to work on my items to post – they are on virgin media and it’s like nothing has happened here. I assume that eBay uses virgin too then?
    This is a complete and utter joke in this day and age. On the bright side, I have discovered e-bid and since I can access that on a BT line will be mirroring my eBay shop there and will let you know the results

• Sam O'levski
      1 year ago

Before you go paying any money for ebid’s ‘fantastically cheap lifetime membership offer’, check out some items in the categories you’re interested in.
      I’ve just looked at some seller’s shops for fixed price stuff, and there’s things listed from 2012 ‘run until sold’ quantity one…. so not exactly setting the online retailing world alight with sales !
      I’ve read on some specialist forums that it’s a site with great potential, but nobody ever said they’d done well there, despite some of the prices being so low that they’d be snapped up in far less than 3 or 4 years if listed on ebay.

• Robert C
    1 year ago

Luckily for me I’m with Virgin so I had no problems accessing ebay yesterday, but I was worried that it would have an adverse effect on order numbers for the last 24hrs. Turns out I have more than normal.. go figure.

• Liam
    1 year ago

I had trouble all day yesterday and I’m in the far North of Scotland – so it’s not just limited to England and Wales. And I’m on Plusnet and the rest of the web was ok -so it’s not just a BT issue.

Even first thing this morning (Saturday 27 Feb) eBay was still a bit sluggish to load the Tracking/”Despatch Details” popup. Seems ok now though at around 10:15am.

All-in-all it’s been a VERY FRUSTRATING Friday.

• martin

plusnet is owned by bt

• thewrongtrousers
      1 year ago

Plusnet are just a subsidiary of BT though, effectively they are the same.

• Sam O'levski
    1 year ago

No problems here yesterday or today, but I’ve got wifi internet via a T-Mobile wireless pointer – at a fiver a month through an ebay seller (urban storms if I’m allowed to plug them and their good service ?) it’s worth having as a back-up, especially when T-Mobile don’t cut you off when you reach the limit of your allowance, so it’s actually a month’s unlimited ebay, gmail etc for a fiver. Not high speed broadband performance of course, but no fibre optic cables where I am yet, so not a problem.

• Chris Hoddinott
    1 year ago

There is a problem which is ebay related rather than BT (my ISP). If you try to get to messages through on-page links you are directed to a domain that starts.”mesg.ebay.co.uk” and the page fails to load.
    If you try to access a message through links in emails you are directed to a domain “contact.ebay.co.uk/” and it loads easily.Unfortunately when you reply to the message and try to send it redirects to a mesg address and fails.
    I would guess that the mesg domains are a new “improvement” that doesn’t work.
    Yesterday access to other pages was difficult but possible today they load easily.

• Gerry007
    1 year ago

Tamebay is definatly not running right eeither….

• tinker
    1 year ago

0ur guess is its because ebays bloated links and cookies overloading a BT web service thats not running right

• TMS
    1 year ago

I have been selling on eBay since 2002 I list items within one catagory I have perfect DSR power seller and have held top of page one ranking for over 5 years lowest price an items suplied 30 day returns 100% feedback with thousands of sales and premium seller staus from 5.00 pm yesterday aternoon all my listing bar one dissapeared to page 5 and 7 seven being the last page I contacted eBay who say it could be anything but nothing they have done ? I have changed nothing and no hoards of new sellers have listed. I am getting frustrated beyond belief has anybody else experienced this problem .

• thewrongtrousers
    1 year ago

Started at around 10pm the evening before for me. Coincidentally both companies were doing major work that evening.

I still have about 70 PI’s (out of 1000’s, so not really leaving it to the last minute) to add and currently it is taking me 20mins to do each one!!!

• Chris
    1 year ago

It still isn’t working completely correctly now.
    It is sluggish.

• Rob
    1 year ago

Saturday evening, ebay messages still not working properly, usually timing out. All other websites working fine, bt internet.

• Malc h
    1 year ago

Since being on bt and paying over the top prices my broadband is worse than dial up we had years ago the service is terrible they should be made to tell you that you are not going to get the service you have purchased if they know that you’re area is over subscribed instead of lying

• Mr Neutron
    1 year ago

It’s now Saturday night and eBay pages are still timing out before they have time to load

• 1 year ago

I was out all day Saturday so I did not log on. Today(Sunday 28/2) I logged on at 07.00 to catch up. Nothing working or only after a struggle and everything very slow. I have a lot of Press Releases to send out re yesterdays Political Committee Meeting. Google Chrome has not been able to find Gmail at all this morning.

I did manage to get onto ebay but only after a struggle and every time I tried to move around within the site I would get This Website is unavailable. I tried to catch up with my Feedback just as bad. This is totally hopeless.

• Duncan Hill
    1 year ago

Good morning all. 3rd day of exactly the same thing. Messages not loading twice (timing out), then it loads perfectly the third time.

• elvis
    1 year ago

Day 3 today and still no access to many features including ebay messages. Sales have been absolutely shocking last 2 days, as in our worst for 11 years

• Gary
      1 year ago

Ebay will be in panic mode if sales are taking a hit accross the site. If server and ISP performance is way down on normal for some reason then ebays bloated cookie for this and cookie for that feed advertising previous search etc to offer a personalised tailored experience may have a lot to do with these issues and all should be temporarily disabled to speed things up. But are ebay tech staff capable of doing this now without impacting entwined vine like other areas of ebay? It is now all too complex for its own good.

• Mick Jones
    1 year ago

Have been unable to access ‘my EBAY ‘ selling pages since last Thursday 25th Feb!! So am stuck here twiddling my thumbs waiting for EBAY or BT to take responsibility & sort it out! As a new seller, am not very impressed with this . Hope there is no back-lash when (if!) someone bids for items I put up before system went into meltdown.

Think I’ll stick with charity shops in future

• Martin
    1 year ago

Strangely sales have been quite strong, but still can not access Messages. Most of Friday’s problems ahve been resolved but Messages has been problematic throughout. I did get in to them briefly yesterday morning after many attempts. I don’t know if people are still blaming BT but that reason seems highly unlikely. No excuses for Ebay. They have had warning after warning that their IT is both too complex and simply not robust enough. If they really want to continue to grow, that is what they need to fix first and foremost.

• Andy P
    1 year ago

The problem is still continuing, but I have found that messages etc are working but you sometimes need to reload the page once or twice (I’m on BT Fibre here). It seems eBay pages won’t load fast enough, which would seem to suggest the eBay bloat problem others have described.

I have actually been pretty busy over the weekend though so it doesn’t seem to be causing buyers problems. The issue is more messages and seeing the details of sold items. The latter can of course be sidestepped by getting the buyer details from your Paypal account.

Whilst there are workarounds though, that doesn’t mean eBay can/should abdicate responsibility. Neither does it justify their ongoing policy of refusing to acknowledge technical issues and communicate with their customers. Once again their response is pitifully inadequate.

• naz
    1 year ago

trying to refund the buyer via return request and unable to refund after 5 attempts so left it to refund later

ERROR : listing has been removed ( although refund doesn’t have to do any thing with the listing ) and listing is live also hahaha

and then on 3rd attempt page hanged and not allowing to refund .

• aidan
    1 year ago

Im in Rep. Of Ireland. Same problems accessing MESSAGES since last Friday. It was ok for a couple of hours this morning, but its down again this afternoon..

• D Prime
    1 year ago

Been a few days now for me also BT user. wanted to buy a few things this weekend and have given up as pics/pages just wont load. been on ebay since before vladuz and never seen it like this.

• P Bonning
    1 year ago

Still playing up this morning! Messages and Resolution page.

• Paul Moran
    1 year ago

BT business broadband user here. Monday morning and still having no joy logging into eBay messages. Having to access messages over 4G network on my phone. Might try going through a proxy to access messages on my desktop. Sales not as expected over the weekend either, so pretty disappointed with this over all.

• Paul Moran
      1 year ago

UPDATE: Rebooted computer and cleared cache from my browser and this seems to have worked. I have access to messages now. So if you are still having problems try that.

• Paul Moran
    1 year ago

UPDATE: I rebooted my computer and cleared the cahce from my browser (chrome) and this seems to have worked, I now have access to messages. So if you are still having problems this morning try that.

• 1 year ago

Well what a joke of a weekend and on a PAY DAY WEEKEND somehow i had 35 sales but that’s a small amount to normal. I called Ebay and they blame BT …. so i called BT and they blamed EBAY. So work that one out. It would be nice for someone to just admit it, Amazon i hear sent a message out to their sellers saying they had an issue which is good customer service. I just find it very hard to understand why when you look at the outage map CHINA IS NEVER IN THE YELLOW OR RED ????????? hummmm

Ebay get it fixed or BT