eBay Feedback error: sellers can’t respond

By Dan Wilson February 1, 2016 - 7:15 am

Quite a few sellers have written to Tamebay reporting that eBay has been experiencing a technical glitch, for quite a few weeks, that means that sellers cannot respond to buyer feedback.

According to one seller who has been in contact, this has been a problem since at least the 6th January and is ongoing. Some sellers have been in touch with eBay’s customer support who have advised that there is no known date for a resolution but it could take as long as 60 days.

Another seller says this is the error you’ll see: “Input Error:” We did not successfully receive all the required information from the page. Please go back and ensure that all the fields are filled in.”

What is very annoying about that message, as one correspondent noted, is that it doesn’t report that there is a glitch and if you’re unaware of this problem then you can waste quite a bit of time going back and forth trying to respond to feedback until you realise that it’s kaput.

Why is such a function important? It’s vital that sellers have the right of reply to negative and neutral feedback so hopefully eBay will fix this problem soon.

• 1 year ago

There are two schools of thought. Personally I used to never ever respond to feedback (negative or neutral especially).

Responding not only makes the feedback stand out (takes more room on the page) drawing the eye to it, but also the buyer has a right to reply to the reply which often makes it look worse than ever.

The contrary view is that not responding and indicating that you are willing (or have already) sorted the problem out might indicate to future buyers that you don’t care about them. This especially becomes the case if you responded to all negative feedback in the past and suddenly stop (buyers won’t know it’s a glitch).

On balance these days I’d go with the don’t respond as it’s the easier option, it’s not scalable and large sellers tend to cut and paste responses lowing the “I care about you” effect and feedback isn’t worth stressing about (now less than ever, worry about delivering on-time and defects instead!).

What do you think?

• 1 year ago

I think it’s important that sellers have the right to reply. But I would certainly advise sellers that it could be a big sink of time for very little benefit but feeling a bit better.

dw

• 1 year ago

I do think that if sellers are supposed to have the right to reply it should at least work ;-)

• john
      1 year ago

I look at it in positive manner and think responses are essential. If a potential buyer is going to read any of your feedback, it will be the negative/neutrals and they will judge you on the responses you make. So I approach them as a way of advertising good customer support and that if there is a problem, you will act to make it right.

• john
    1 year ago

Why would you want to respond. It has no effect. only thing it does is make the seller feel a little better. Stay focused on sales, as a seller is there to make money.

Good seller should never get a neg from a good buyer. there is no need. Either the seller is carp or the buyer is.

• David Brackin
      1 year ago

Why would you want to reply?

Well, you might want to help anyone reading the comment understand whether it is indeed a bad buyer or a bad seller. Whether this is a problem that might affect them (a disproportionate amount of negs are for comprehension or shipping issues for overseas buyers: UK buyers should be able to quickly understand this isn’t a problem that affects them).

We do the work on every neg or neutral left. Research what happened. Reach out to the buyer to more fully understand their point of view. See if we need to fix a process or issue a refund. Ban the buyer without exception. Leave a reply to explain what happened.

Leaving a reply is not a big amount of effort compared with all the other stuff in that process. Either you take feedback as an opportunity to understand why people are grumpy (one legitimate conclusion being that they are not the kind of buyer you want) or you just don’t bother reading it at all.

• tinker
      1 year ago

we totally agree . with dave
      our response to poor feedback is with the potential buyer in mind. not to to the actual feedback or the buyer who posted it

• john
      1 year ago

neg feedback left = transaction has ended. block buyer , move on to next sale.

Buyer has either left an neg bofore contact or left neg after contact. Seller should have resolved the issue to a standard were there was no neg needed (if its a seller issue)

Leaving replies to neg feedback draws attention to it. only possible benefit would be if new buyers looked at feedback before purchasing(those buyers are a minority) and if new buyers can’t see past a few negs then you don’t really want them as customers either lol

• Elizabeth
      1 year ago

I completely disagree. As tinker and David have said feedback has little to do with the sale that has already occurred and everything to do with potential future buyers.

As a high volume seller I can testify to the fact that occasionally buyers do leave neg/neut feedback without any contact with myself first, so it’s not as clear cut as resolving an issue before it gets to that stage (as often sellers are simply not given that option).

I always reply to feedback and I never use it as a tool to argue with my buyer but always as a way to describe how I tried to resolve this issue or to apologise.

Unfortunately transactions do occasionally go wrong and it is important to show that you are willing to help resolve issues. And believe me buyers do often read feedback before they buy a product!

• Richard
    1 year ago

If anyone in the UK is having this issue just use ebay.com site instead and it should work fine :)

• james
    1 year ago

its entirely consistent with ebays policy of “feedback is just a tool for buyers to threaten sellers with”. whats the point in allowing the seller to respond to their unilateral beatings?

got punished with a negative (neutral, same thing these days) today, because “item a bit small” despite having perfect accurate measurements in the description.
    – i dont have an hour to waste on the phone arguing with some eBay CS that doesnt know their own policies and has zero inclination to help remove it.

• Sam
    1 year ago

I can confirm using .com works like a charm!
    Thanks Richard

Sam

• Jackson
    1 year ago

I experienced this recently. I spend ages trying to figure out what I had done wrong. Ebay need to put on the ‘error’ page that it is their technical glitch and not ours!

Anyway, I telephoned eBay and was NOT told that this was an ongoing thing. Nope. So I assumed that it was still me! Only today do I find out that it was eBay and not me – via Tamebay! How bad is that?

Anyway, I was told that a way around it was to log into eBay via the .com site and not the co.uk site. That seemed to do the trick and I could then leave my comment.

Isn’t it interesting how eBay never admit to a fault they have created. They are like spoilt children that cannot own up to being less than perfect.

• elvis
    1 year ago

All the “report a seller” links are missing throughout ebay as well

• glenn
    1 year ago

the only time i leave a follow up feedback is if the item has gone missing in the post , i leave a polite follow up comment on the buyers page , saying item lost in the post refund issued

for some strange reason i can leave follow up comment on the weekend but not during the week ?