Royal Mail suspends post to Republic of Ireland

By Dan Wilson October 6, 2015 - 12:26 pm

Royal Mail has announced that it will no longer accept items for delivery to the Republic of Ireland for the time being.

This is a result of An Post, the Irish national postal service, experiencing difficulties because of strike action. However, it would look like the strike has been suspended but that there is a huge backlog of mail that remains.

Here’s a mail we’ve received that has been sent to a number of sellers by Royal Mail by a Royal Mail account manager.

“Royal Mail deliveries to the Republic of Ireland have been suspended until further notice and we are unable to accept any more items for delivery

– Deliveries have been suspended due to the strike action taken by the equipment maintenance providers for An Post, the National Postal Operator in the Republic of Ireland.

– This is impacting An Post’s processing operations and therefore An Post is unable to accept items at this time.

– We will keep you updated with any new developments regarding the situation. We are currently exploring alternative arrangements for deliveries.”

We’ve asked eBay what measures they’ll be putting in place to protect sellers who might be impacted by this problem. Do you send much to the Republic of Ireland?

• Hereford FC fan

This is the first I have heard about this. I have sent a couple of parcels there using DMO today and it seemed to process okay.

Does this mean my parcels are not going to leave the depot?

• Hereford FC fan

I have just spoken to my account manager who says they have heard nothing about it????

• Hereford FC fan

They have just called me back to say it is correct.

It is likely that my two parcels will get returned to me.

Shockingly bad customer service from Royal Mail. I hope eBay updates the site quickly.

How exactly are Royal Mail to blame when there is a strike by maintenance workers for An Post?

• Hereford FC Fan

The strike is not Royal Mail’s fault but their poor communication is.

• Simon E

I think it’s all OK again.
    ===========
    Republic of Ireland
    Start date: 1 October 2015
    End date: 6 October 2015

The postal workers of An Post are taking strike action with immediate effect. An Post are therefore unable to accept any mail in their mail processing centres.

We are continuing to accept mail for delivery in Ireland and have made arrangements for any such mail to be transported to Ireland and held until An Post are accepting mail again.

Update 6 October
    Following discussions with An Post, Royal Mail are now able to accept mail for Ireland.

Due to nature of the industrial action some delays in delivery is expected over the next couple of days.

=====================

• Simon E

Just in case anyone wants updates to websites like this then I use a firefox addon (FREE) (You can donate)

With this you can specify url’s and if they have a change of an amount you specify then it will alert you. I have mine set every hour and if there’s a difference it will hilite it.
      Saw the Ireland problems yesterday and saw they were solved today. B-)

Works on so many different levels.