Insights into Amazon’s strategy in China

By Dan Wilson October 14, 2015 - 12:14 am

There’s an interesting interview with Amazon’s Doug Gurr in China Daily. He heads up Amazon’s Chinese franchise and is created with turning around what was a failing wing of the business when he took over in 2014.

He says of his approach to the business: “There are two parts. One is helping customers in China get access to the very best products around the world. The other is helping businesses in China become global brands through Amazon’s platforms.”

He adds that “We see a lot of opportunities in ecommerce, particularly cross-border ecommerce, as the Chinese economy moves from low-cost manufacturing to creating brands. If you are the largest player, if you have scale, people will come to you simply because you are the biggest. But if you are not the largest, you have to do something that is different. It has to be something that only you can do. The thing we can do that is different is the relationship we have with hundreds of thousands of vendors around the world.”

We seldom write about Amazon in China but its clear that they are developing it and in due course that may impact your Amazon sales, so it’s well worth reading.

i think this will be more about getting cheap Chinese sellers into fba across UK and European Amazon market places and for Amazon to push only premier brands back to Chinese buyers, there is no advantage to small sellers who use Amazon China, just my thoughts I may be wrong.

• ifellow

My last 4 or 5 orders have come direct from China, annoyingly ive been waiting almost 2 weeks for a key finder set.

FBA is probably too expensive, because then they would need to pay UK postal rates.

Most premier brands are too expensive for the chinese, and most of these brands already have very good coverage in china already.

Take adidas for example, they have many many stores.

• Derek Duval

You buy from China and then say annoyingly 2 weeks, what do you expect cheap skate….haven’t you ever heard of you pay for what you get…God give me strength

• ifellow

I use amazon where item location is not clear. I dont use ebay.

• derek duval

Well there u go dont use Amazon where item location aint clear….its not rocket science….

• ifellow

Well i was searching for a tactical ruck sack, so used ebay. Clicked the ‘UK Only’ filter.

Now all the sellers are Chinese ?

One of the Subtitles says

☆Fast & Free Postage☆UK Seller☆Best Quality☆

But the address is

*****
    Room ***,No.**,Boxuejiayuan,shanghai
    200000 shanghai,

The return address is a UK PO box.

Many pages are like this. I cannot find a UK Seller.

I have decided not to make a purchase.

• Derek Duval

I do hear you but the fact is as an Business Seller myself 99.9% of people are searching on price and thus the Chineese win hands down.

My products used to sell for £12.99 now I have to sell at £9.99 cos of Chineese sellers not paying Vat, income Tax and VAT.

Ebay is simply providing what cheap skate Buyers want….cheap prices.

Now Amazon has decided to join the party and hide item locations

• ifellow

Ive decided not buy. Because im after reasonable price for reasonable quality with reasonable delivery time and reasonable customer service, and wish to buy from a UK seller.

Not a low price for low quality with 0 customer service and very slow unsustainable delivery with the plus of buying from a fraudelent seller.

• Derek Duval

Well your one out of a million and as current trends 1 out of a million customers doesn’t pay to run a business