New advert on eBay search results

By Chris Dawson September 15, 2015 - 7:00 am

light bulb  eBaySpotted on eBay is an interesting ad, we’ve seen the “Promoted by eBay Shops” section which sits in the right hand sidebar on eBay search results, but what we’ve not seen is a takeover banner at the top of search results.

Laura Mathieson, the eBay expert from sellingonebayuk.com/ spotted the for light bulbs. The is promoted in the advert as the “Official Osram Partner” and the advert links directly to their eBay shop.

We’re not sure who’s funded the advert (we’ve not asked), whether it be the eBay seller or Osram. What is interesting though is the ability to have your eBay shop promoted above all other eBay sellers is possible. Has anyone else seen similar adverts on the site?

Whilst I’m guessing every seller would be happy to snag the search results top banner advert, I’m guessing that those who have fought hard for good Best Match search results placement won’t be quite as pleased.

Loving the FeedVisor ad tot he right in your screen shot lol

Ebay is(/was?) a sanctuary for the Independents and small businesses. The introduction of promoted listings is the beginning of the end.

In the same way our independents have been ‘muscled’ off our high streets, they will find it increasingly difficult to showcase their products on ebay.

Think of your local high street 20 years ago, and imagine if the whole high street was sold to a developer who knocks the whole lot down and builds a retail park.

eBay is now a high street, but will eventually become a retail park dominated by the biggest names in retail – our economy and market will ensure it.

• Richard

For some of us old eBay sellers this is nothing new, Home Page featured and featured listings were available a decade and more ago on eBay. I suspect we’ll see more of this in the future, as it seems to be the only way eBay can grow revenue.

• Mark

Even more disturbing is that they’ve put an advert above the promoted listings on the left. Being above the fold would make a massive difference to conversion.

• Dean

Just as an aside, when I clicked on the sellers 74 feedback, I noticed this little symbol:

I’ve never seen it before and when I click it I get a typical eBay error page telling me that the page may have moved or no longer exists.

Can those more enlightened than myself please tell me what that symbol means?
    Is it a better badge than my Powerseller badge? if it is then I’m not playing anymore…..

• paddy

IIRC it means verified by Ebay. I’m sure it was meant as a symbol of trust but was abandoned years ago.

From what I remember IDVerify was more common in the German market but even there was scrapped around 2012.

Haven’t a clue how it’s appeared on an account only opened in 2014 – guess eBay are pulling favours of some kind or someone in support ticked the wrong box (or it’s coming back and they’ve not announced it yet….)

“The verified icon indicates that the identity of a seller has been confirmed, by the seller paying a fee of $5.00.”

• Becky

I got invited to a beta promotion/advertising programme last week. Is it part of that do you think? The details are here http://sellercentre.ebay.co.uk/promote-your-listings.html

• Adam

I flagged this to our account managers last week. Apparently they have paid for the banner. I’m still awaiting details on which categories this is open in and the all important cost details.

• Jim

I spoke to eBay about this, it’s an invite only promo which they are trialing in the UK but it was for only 500 eBay sellers.

If it works out they will be letting all sellers use this option I’m not sure how to be honest?

Tamebay eBooks