eBay UK Seller Release: 30 Day Returns Requirement

By Chris Dawson September 11, 2015 - 8:02 am

Returns HomeFrom 1 May 2016, eBay are for eBay Top-rated sellers from 14 days to 30 days for most listings.

From 1 May 2016, you’ll need to offer 30-day returns with money back to qualify for the eBay Top-rated seller discount and badge. eBay say that “This change will help us to stay competitive as a marketplace – and by offering an extended returns period, you can help build buyer confidence and drive sales“.

A few categories will be exempt from this change, but for most sellers on eBay UK this means offering 30 day returns on everything that you sell.

How much will this affect you? I have no data to rely on, but I suspect that most returns are requested within the first week after a product is received. Sure there’ll be the odd edge case that I’m sure most of you could talk about (especially the used once and returned party dresses), but the truth is that after 30 days I can hardly remember what I bought on eBay (or anywhere else) and it’s very unlikely that I’ll want to return it.

Do you believe 30 day returns (rather than the current 14 days) will make much difference to your business? We’d love to hear your views and whether you think being Top Rated is worth offering 30 day returns.

• Stuart

We offer it already so I can’t see it’s an issue if you are a customer focused company.

However why wait until May 2016?

• V.Schofield

Hi Stuart
      It is commendable and fine for a company who can swallow few damaged returns from their profits…but for the small trader selling clothing and not making a living out of it but …’A Bit Extra’ to boost a pension it is not the same
      I enjoy EBay and all it entails But there are some unscupulous people out there and they could ruin it for the small trader, of which there are many of us…who are just Topping up ‘ A bit of income’
      Thanks Violet

• Dean

Hi Violet

I sell in fashion too.
      I decided to move from 14 days to 30 days some time ago (last Xmas I believe) following what my competition were doing.
      I thought it might open up the flood-gates for returns.
      And guess what, it hasn’t made a single difference to returns.
      Any returns I get are still within the first week, second week at the latest.
      So I wouldn’t worry if I were you. I am sure, from my experience, that it could be 90 days returns (which I did set it to for Xmas returns) and you would not notice a difference.
      Hope this helps.

• V.Schofield

I sell rings and clothing…none of which should be worn and sent back
    I do exchange occasionally by request, the jewellery would be scrached and therefore have to be sold as used at a price loss
    and clothing has to be returned with tags UNWORN and as sent out?
    So no from me for 30 days… If I can post items out within (1) day I expect the items sending back same or shortly after, not holding onto an item for (20-25) days…I am after all a small business and couldn’t trade like this….
    My Top Rated Seller means nothing to me…..
    Buyers buy off me..leave good feedback…and I continue to be a part of EBay
    I don’t need the worry and hassle of waiting for items to be returned and then fighting cases because they are returned damaged or worn
    Violet

• John

Does it really matter as they can open cases for 30 days; there is the elephant in the room of threat of bad feedback and, of course, paypal will give them 180 days refunds / return time…..

• Lee Pearce

As the piece says, most returns requests happen in the 1st week, its the perceived downside which will cause the worry but in reality will probably not be an issue.

In the past few years, we have have gone from 7-days to 14 days as well Christmas returns, so if your worried about going to 30 days, then check back on the actual outcome in your business when the previous changes happened.

Personally, its not something that causes me concern.

Lee

• Rob

Is it 30 business days or 30 calendar day? EU regulations state that buyers have 14 calendar days to open a return yet eBay force us to accept 14 business day which can work out at almost 3 weeks.

• Simon M

Amazon UK allow 90 days for an a-Z claim, so really, eBay are still being generous to sellers by comparison.

S.

• Bigtimetrader

This makes no difference, have been doing 30 days since amz enforced it ages ago.

If in doubt, I suggest u start this month as normal and record ur returns and then do a month with 30 day and. Compare the results.

U can then work on hard factual data and make any edits to ur policy as required before it is mandatory.