15% of Millennials don’t shop with their smartphone

By Dan Wilson July 29, 2015 - 3:12 pm

A YouGov survey of millennials (18-34 year olds, those basically born in the 80s and 90s) shows that 15% don’t shop using their smartphones. Of course, that means 85% do but the reasons for the naysayers rejecting commerce on their mobiles are quite interesting.

you-gov-mil-phone

The problems centre, to a great extent, around the limitations of assessing products on a smaller screen.

Darryl Adie, MD of Ampersand, says of the survey they commissioned: “Many would have expected Millennials to be more engaged with mobile shopping, however it seems even this age group is still put off by the current state of the mobile web. Anecdotally, we hear retailers talk about increased traffic from mobile devices but lower conversion rates. It’s not enough nowadays for a retailer to simply have a mobile optimised website and blame the device for low conversion. Many of the things that put consumers off mobile shopping are easily fixable with minimal development, including making sure retina imagery is displayed, numerical and email specific keyboards are utilised and automatic geo-location is enabled. Retailers who make their mobile websites easier to use are sure to win loyal consumers across all channels.”

• Rai

Younger generations are much less interested in phone shopping than older ones

Source: I am one, everyone I know is one – everyone I interact with outside of internet retail is one (nearly). Phone shopping is a thing your parents do, anecdotally.

• James

I wouldn’t be so sure. Millennials like everything else you can do on a phone. The only assumption we can really make is that Millennials will be pickier about shopping simply because they have less money to spend.

• james

using the word “millenial” just exposes you as an oldie.
      its a bloody horrible word, and one which nobody in the world associates themselves with.

may as well call anyone over 20 a “last century’er”

anyway, if you can safely assume they have less money,
      you can probably assume they have a smaller phone.
      shopping on a 2-inch screen is insanity,
      young people seem smart enough to know this, old ones think its fine, then blame the website being un-responsive.

• Rai

@J Definitely fair to say your average ‘millennial’ has less spare cash – most of those who I communicate with in fact. That being said when they spend there’s usually 2 routes:
      Online – by pc, occasionally by a tablet but phones are generally ‘old people’ territory.
      Socially – out in brick & mortar often as a group.

• tinker

never mind millenial ,I think I am going dyslexic
    James or iames?

• james

two different James’.
      i’m james. (lowercase J not i)
      he’s James.
      think we had this issue before.
      call him James 2 from now on. :-P

• James

Hi james1 & Rai

Millenial? Ye I’ll let you have that :) I just referenced it because it was in the article. I agree. Silly term in this context especially. 18-26 and 27-34 years olds . Totally different spending habits.

I’m not disputing the survey. But to say not interested made it seem we’ll never use mcommerce which isn’t true. 23% just need more money for a better phone plan :)

You are also more likely to overcome hurdles if you are more keen to buy plus if you do more spending online in general you have probably bought from the company before and have already entered in payment details or are making repeat purchases.

Mcommerce will improve and these figures will change quickly. It isn’t a generational thing that can’t be overcome but its just likely when we are at that age we’ll be doing it with our glasses :|

Source: I’m 25 but I think about this stuff way to much.

• Mark_H

I am in the upper end of the “millennial” category.

I don’t see the point of online ordering using a smartphone for goods for (slow) delivery. I would prefer to do more research using a full computer before purchasing.