Reminder : Amazon want you to pay for returns

By Chris Dawson March 12, 2015 - 8:45 am

Amazon-Returns
A quick reminder… from today Amazon say that “it is required that all sellers either provide a return address in the country of the Market Place Site or pay the shipping cost of returns. If you are selling, for example, at Amazon.de, you must either provide a return address in Germany or offer buyers the free return shipping”.

Amazon’s reasoning is that Customers who buy from Amazon, expect that they can return products easily. This doesn’t help sellers however who are facing increased cost of returns, although hopefully in the future companies like ZigZag Global will make this less painful.

Instructions to change return address

To update your return address in the Land of selected MarketPlace site, please go as follows:
1. Go to “Settings” to the “About the Seller Account”.
2. On the “About the Seller Account”, go to the “information return” and click right there on “Edit”.
3. Choose. An already registered address as the default return address or enter a new address as the default return address
4. Click on “Submit”.

Instructions to upload pre-paid return labels

To upload a pre-paid return label for the return request, please proceed as follows:
1. Go to “Manage Returns” in the “orders” to.
2. Select “Create I will be a pre-paid return shipping label for this application” option in the “Your Return Address Labels”.
3. Go to “Manage Returns” in the “orders” to.
4. Click on the back end applications that you want to select the checkbox.
5. From the drop-down menu on the page “authorize all returns selected” option above and click “Go”.
6. Load the shipping label up, select the carrier and type, if available, the shipment tracking number.
7. Set the cost of the return label to € 0.00, to ensure that the buyer is not burdened with the cost of return.

Options

Ignore it

This certainly isn’t something that we could suggest that you do, but we know of sellers who are taking this course of action. Simply carry on as you were and send out standard returns information and let buyers pick up the cost of returning goods to you in the UK. Sellers that we know of have taken the decision that if the buyer queries who pays the international return costs they’ll instantly pick up the tab, but if the buyer doesn’t mention it they’ll simply let them pay for the return.

Use FBA

If you put your products into Amazon FBA in the UK, you can simply let Amazon ship the products internationally and just pay the FBA charges.

You may well find that for products which frequently sell abroad Amazon will ship them to an EU FBA warehouse and fulfil European orders from there. However you’ll still pay shipping costs as if the products were fulfilled from the UK.

The downside with using FBA is that you’ll have to either fulfil eBay and website orders from Amazon or hold a larger inventory of stock. Obviously stock in FBA isn’t available in your warehouse to fulfil orders so it’s a balancing act between cost of inventory and costs of shipping internationally and paying for possible returns.

• fusion

I must have missed this before but just to clarify, if a customer wishes to return as they do not want the product then the seller has to provide a returns address in their country or refund them the postage back for returning to the UK or the country you are based in?

• Paul B

Fusion, that is correct.
    Basically Amazon customers can now order the wrong thing or decide it’s not what they wanted and us sellers have to cover their stupidity.
    I see no problem with buyers paying the return costs if they made a mistake or don’t want the item after all. That seems like common sense to me. Of course it’s perhaps part of a sellers service if for example they sell clothes or high value items where there is plenty of margin to play with.

I’m based in Ireland and sell low value items under perhaps around the £5 mark, I’d be lucky to get 25%. I am not in a position to have a return address is UK, Germany, Italy, France or Spain. I cannot cover the return costs so I will be ignoring this stupid new policy from Amazon. They should cover it out of their outrageous fees!
    And how am I meant to upload a pre-paid for return label? There is no such thing, all my stuff is sent via the Irish Post office. You would think, with Amazon leverage they could at the very lease provide us with a subsidised pre-paid shipping label using their own postal arrangements!

In many ways I’ve been feeling sickly about selling my soul to get access to the Amazon marketplace. I stopped bothering with ebay sometime ago and this may well be the cause for me to cease selling on Amazon. Yes, I’ll be down on an important sales channel but my own website is my main focus. Amazon make a lot of money from me so it’s up to them if they don’t value my business. TBH, I don’t have much time for Amazon anymore, they are a juggernaut bully and have absolutely no respect for their selling partners. Jeff Bezos is a moron and a nasty man to be in bed with, selling on Amazon makes me feel dirty. Bollocks to him.

• Steve Turner

I agree with you Paul B! Amazon is just one big arrogant bully – don’t give a damn about sellers at all. We pay them more than me and my wife pay ourselves put together in a year! Outrageous. Something is just incredibly wrong about this. We hate Amazon!

• fusion

Agreed, im in a similar situation and tell customers on ebay not to bother returning when they open a case as its actually loses me money most of the time.

• Steve Turner

We have one small e-commerce operation in the UK, so how the hell are we going to come up with return addresses all over Europe?? So far none of our European sales have requested returns so we are just going to continue and hope that trend continues. Usually if someone wants to return something in the UK we ask them to send it back Royal Mail 1st Class and we refund them once it arrives back. Has worked well. We always speak to our customers via phone with any situation and provide reassurance that we are a serious company who care about customers and not a dodgy foreign bullshit setup with no after sales service of which there are tons out there!
      Someone needs to come up with a serious rival to Amazon to offer some competition as Amazon have a virtual monopoly in the general on-line marketplace in the US and Western Europe. Their monopoly is not healthy, their website is a total mess, all their staff are arrogant, they are fleecing SMEs like us with their outrageous fees etc etc…….
      Richard Branson, won’t you step up??

• Rob

Agreed. Selling on Amazon is a deeply unpleasant experience, while we benefited from the traffic and increased sales, dealing with bad customers and Amazons dispute process is nothing short of an unjust nightmare, and that’s not even taking the extortionate fees into account. I actually look forward to closing my Amazon account when I retire from online selling next year.

For anyone selling on Amazon, never ever depend on it because one day, an automated Amazon bot will destroy you and your account. And each year it gets worse because of more rules and hoops and standards to keep up with.

Not just that, but Amazon is slowly morphing into a Chinese flea junk market just like eBay is.

• Steve Turner

Good for you Rob that you can get out of the ‘Twilight Zone’ and leave the ‘mare in your wake.
      You’re right about the increasing amount of control they leverage over sellers – first they rob you blind then they chop you off at the knees and cut your arms off, then rub salt in. As for the ridiculous feedback system that makes you feel like a naughty schoolboy when a moron leaves you a negative as a way of letting you know they haven’t received their item – after 3 days! and the Amazon clone won’t remove it because it doesn’t tick any of their boxes that would allow it to be removed. I can feel the red mist descending!!
      I like your analogy to the Chinese junk market and e-bay. Too true! The Chinese are parking up containers full of cheap crap in our towns which they dump on both Amazon and e-bay to lure unsuspecting mugs – when they fall apart after a week lo and behold no phone number or customer service to speak of and if you manage to get a reply to an e-mail, it is almost indecipherable as the English is so bad. E-bay customer services is a total waste of time as it comprises a room full of schoolchildren in the Philippines. Oh and those Chinese et al pay no tax either, funnily enough just like Amazon!!

• petestan

Fusion only if your selling on an international marketplace so if your selling on amazon.de you need a German address or must provide free returns if your selling on amazon.co.uk and someone from Germany buys your item they are responsible for returning it to the UK.

• fusion

Thanks for clarifying

• Rachael

I have been struggling with this for days and have had VERY contradictory advise from Amazon,

I am trying to upload the freepost label that ROyal Mail have provided – but cannot find anywhere to upload as per below – I simply don’t get the box to upload my own image as default only if I do them manually one at a time..

Can someone please screenshot this for me, as it is driving me mad,

• Robert C

I love the gif!

• A+

Agree!

Why thank you guys! We aim to please :-)

• Jimbo

Can’t you just allow you customer to pay for return and refund upon receipt?

• Steve P

I recently had this as a buyer.. Item never arrived from Germany, after 4 weeks a replacement was sent no problem. Original & replacement arrived the same delivery a week later..( Go figure innit!?)

I messaged the huge business seller, asked for a return label/link to print and was asked to return to a UK address (at my expense) and it would be sorted.

needless to say It didn’t happen. surplus item is still sitting here….

• Chris R

I have spoken to my Royal Mail Account Manager and apparently you can purchase a licence for the Royal Mail International Returns Services (Not sure if that is the right name) This allows you to create the returns label. The licence is £150.00 plus VAT pa. You also pay the return postage costs, which seem high.

I only sell tiny amounts on the Amazon European sites, so I have closed those listings as the the costs do not stack up

• James

The worst part about Amazon is that their buy box policy.

Amazon are well known for stealing 3rd party seller information (letting 3rd parties take the risk) and then selling the goods themselves.

If that wasn’t bad enough they then give themselves preference over the buy box and search rankings even if their prices are more expensive. They have an abusive relationship with their 3rd party sellers – which is what you get with monopoly’s.

On top of that Chinese sellers are allowed to get away with poor feedback ratings and quite often Chinese sellers will win the buy box with lower ratings, lower feedback and the same price as UK sellers – and it is amusing to see their feedbacks littered with reports about how the buyer didn’t realise the goods were being shipped from China and take 20+ days. How is this a good buying experience?

We have eBay on the one hand who treat their sellers like absolute dirt and Amazon who use their 3rd party sellers as market research. Sad that in the UK we are left with a duopoly of two such abusive companies.

• derek duval

Amazon, what a joke. Sell for 0 profits and put up with that crap. Ebay any day of the week for me

I just received clarification from Amazon on this. Hope it helps:

By law, customers located in the European Union have the right to withdraw from the purchase of an item within 14 working days of the day after the date the item is delivered. Where a buyer is withdrawing from their purchase within the 14 working day cooling-off period, the seller must refund the cost of the item and the cost of sending the item to the buyer.

The cost incurred by the buyer in returning the item to you is not automatically refundable unless they return the item to you because of an error, or because it is defective or not as advertised. Where a buyer returns and item between 7 and 30 days after delivery (or between 7 and 14 days in the case of large electrical items), and there’s been no fault with the item, the seller is only obliged to refund the cost of the item.

However, this is a business decision that needs to be made by the seller, and it is their own decision if they want to refund the return postage or otherwise.

I hope that this helps to clarify the issue and wish you every success with your selling on Amazon.

• Paul

@Julius – the reply from Amazon is in line with the European law governing the on line selling. However it’s totally different from what they say on the website that you have to provide a local address for return or free return no matter the reason. That is not only abusive but it’s also illegal as the law is not saying a single word about the country or location of the customer. This is only the Amazon’s own understanding of the law.

• Joy

Are their practices in anyway illegal.
    To both be the seller of goods
    and services while at the same time contract writer /
    policy maker / fee collector of those they allow to sell
    on their sight. Wouldn’t it be a huge conflict
    of interest.
    Have any sellers been able to sue them successfully.

• Mike

To use the words Amazon and Marketplace is an oxymoron. This will be one of those things that gets redacted at some future point as Amazon is “Cutting off their nose to spite their face”.

Why would Amazon spend all their time encouraging sellers to sell internationally and build their global selection then take it all back and say, oh, but now you have to pay for returns which really in near all cases means you have to refund without return … ???

Simple. Bricks n’ Mortar. Amazon has now built a contradictory business model where on one hand has the ability to deliver goods to customers in hours and certainly next day and on the other, offers BILLIONS (millions of sellers selling millions of products) of products with completely diverse conditions.

TRANSPARENCY

Amazon chose to not offer even a glimpse of transparency about sellers names, company info and/or shipping location. Why? If they did, customers would be better informed instead of constantly complaining that it’s the sellers fault they are from X, Y or Z country ….

But remember what I said first? Amazon is NOT a marketplace!

Now you do have the ability to charge restocking fees and this is generally capped at about 20%. But, you also then have to handle the negative feedback on that action as your return policies are so buried, you might find this difficult to find them just to email the link to a customer.

Amazons incessant need to add and grow warehouse space across the globe will further forge the gap between US “the sellers” and THEM. It is an inevitable conclusion friends … we’d all better start figuring out viable alternatives to D2C business models. Because soon, restocking fees will be pulled and ultimately, even selling in a country where you don’t preside will be. It’s an inevitability to the current situation as customers will continue to complain and Amazon will soon withdraw from sellers once IT has the selection themselves and we will all find we’ve been duped into the largest R&D scam of the 21st century.