eBay amends Seller Protection for some international destinations

By Dan Wilson December 8, 2014 - 5:09 pm

eBay have made some changes to Seller Protection when you’re shipping to 34 overseas destinations. As long as you ship quickly and don’t incur any other defects. eBay will remove any delivery related dings.

Here’s what they say (the full announcement is here): “We’ve improved our seller protection. Our new policies help make sure that international postage delays won’t affect your seller standard when you sell to buyers in certain countries.

From 5 November, we’ll automatically remove any delivery-related defects from buyers from the 34 countries listed below. This includes:

– eBay Money Back Guarantee requests for an item not received
– Negative or neutral Feedback
– Low detailed seller ratings for delivery time on eBay.co.uk and eBay.ie

Just make sure you resolve any issues quickly, and the transaction doesn’t have any other defects. Make sure you’ve specified which countries you post your items to. You can do this in the postage and packaging section of your listings.”

The countries in question are:

Argentina, Armenia,Belarus, Brazil, Bulgaria, Chile, Colombia, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Ecuador, Estonia, Greece, Israel, Hungary, Indonesia, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Mexico, Peru, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Saudi Arabia Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, Sri Lanka, Turkey, Ukraine, United Arab Emirates and Zambia

• Stuart

All the countries on our excluded list! I am guessing from this change that they are on a number of peoples blocked list too!

Stuart,

Yes, it does seem like a bit of a sweetener. ;)

• Martin

Very welcome, and long overdue, particularly for some like Lithuania, Brazil and Argentina.

However, a number of these I have never had a problem of any kind, and wonder what dark secrets and disasters other sellers have had – places like Hungary and Czech Republic. Interesting to see list includes Bulgaria, Ukraine and Kazakhstan. In my experience delivery here is much more reliable than many countries with supposedly more highly developed postal systems.

There is one huge glaring omission from this list, the country that causes more postal problems than the rest of them put together – ITALY.

• Martin

Just noticed Portugal in the list. Why? Never had a problem in 12 years. Not a country I’d class as either slow or unreliable for mail. Yet no Italy which is frankly amazing.

Exactly what I was going to add – the first country I looked for in the list is Italy.
      We despatch to all the other countries and don’t have that many problems compared to the issues we have with Italy. Just where do all the missing Italian packages end up?

Because all the Books that I sell are in English I don’t get a lot of orders from Europe. Just a few per year. I keep hearing about the problems with parcels for Italy. So the first time I sent a Book to Italy I was worried until the customer put on his Feedback. The same happened the second time and the third and every other time. The parcel containing the Book arrived quite quickly.

Do the Italian Postal Services have a device that tells them if the contents are desirable or not? Because they seem to let my books through OK. Or is it that my return address quotes Books??? The latest was only a couple of weeks ago and that got to the customer safely.

• sam

Interesting reading some of the places people have trouble with.
      Italy is a nightmare, I ended up blocking it, I tried it again on one off my shops, and within a month 2 charge-backs it it just not worth it. Had issues with Malta, Greece, Spain and more concerning in the last couple off months France. I sell video games so know there high risk for certain titles of a sudden INR. tracking is expensive esspecially with the ebay charge on post, but so is the INR claims bogus or not. I really have concentrated on UK this year which has been booming to be fair. I am sending a lot off stuff FBA now for Overseas . the global shipping programme ebay have wont let me block areas that are different region format to UK EURO PAL so it is hopeless.
      Australia and Germany are still good

What about Norway? I sent several orders to the same bloke in Norway. I remember the first took for ages to arrive. I was just about convinced that I had lost it. The customer assured me that the Norwegian Postal Authorities were always slow. He was not worried about the delay and then it arrived and I must admit that I breathed a sigh of relief. None have gone astray but all seem to have taken way over what I would have thought to arrive.

• Martin

Parcels to Norway can take longer than many other countries to arrive.

there are a couple of issues that affect this.

1. Customs clearance and payment of duties. I suspect Norway check 100% of parcels
      2. Remotenesss of address. Some places are very remote and nowhere near an airport.

Oslo deliveries are much quicker

My customer was in a City and in fact had the parcels addressed to his business address. They still took forever to arrive.

• LJ

I find the delivery estimates quoted by Royal Mail to some European countries and Rest of World, are wholly inaccurate. They state on their website,

•Delivery to Europe in 3 to 5 working days
    •Delivery to the rest of the world in 5 to 7 working days

eBay then use these figures to create an “Estimated” delivery date which over promises to the buyer. It seems some buyers don’t understand the word “Estimated” or the term “Working days” and if it doesn’t arrive in Italy in 3-5 days they assume the item is lost, open a INR case and leave appropriate feedback.

Surely it is better to revise these dates, and delay when a buyer can open an INR case, rather than protecting the seller from eBay’s own mess from over promising to buyers? I was always taught in retail to under promise and then when the item arrives earlier than stated the customer is even happier!

• Martin

Totally agree. If a buyer bothers to check the extra info ebay put around the estimated date they do explain it. However, experience shows that a huge number of customers take this as a promise or guarantee. It is quoted time and again in INR messages from buyers.

Add to this ebay count it as a defect if we don’t hit the estimate and it seems clear the Ebay approach needs modification.

I want my customers to have info, but it needs to be good info, and to quote a widely discredited measure from Royal Mail isn’t helping.

Don’t totally blame RM for this either. They probably have to state what they are told by the other postal services, and it may even be these time frames are supplied through the Universal Postal Union. RM can probably show they have the item in the other country in plenty if time to hit the estimate. From there, in some countries it can be a lottery on how fast the item is delivered, clears customs etc. But you only need to look at tracked info to know RM can have an item in Brazil, for example, in 3 days, but it takes Brazil many more days just to book the item into their system, never mind delivery or customs.

• Chris L

I also agree that ITALY should be listed.

Futhermore Australia.
    Australia ist a problem as AU Post does not support internation tracked / registered mail numbers.
    When you send from the UK to AU you can see when your item left the UK but you are not able to track this on AU Post Website.

• Martin

Is this true? I just tracked one of mine on AUPost. International Signed doesn’t have in country tracking, only delivery confirmation. You usually won’t see any tracking info on these.

Lots of countries don’t show a whole lot of detail on tracked shipments. In the past I successfully used other sites to find more detail http://www.trackitonline.ru is one, although others can probably tell me of other or better sites

In any case the lack of tracking data doesn’t usually cause a problem with deliveries to Australia.

Worth bearing in mind with this help from ebay – it just stops you having a defect. You still have to refund/replace pronto to get the protection. Makes me wonder if this is really valuable. What is the point of saving a defect when you still have to refund the buyer after an unfeasibly fast period of time? What we really need is a block on opening a dispute until a more realistic time period has elapsed.

• Chris

We don’t currently ship worldwide, we do Europe and some others but not USA/Australia – maybe we are missing out? (If anybody has any stats)

Italy is on our blocklist, had enough of it.

France also is close, though we do sell quite a number to the Frenchies.

• LJ

We ship worldwide, but anything going outside of Europe is only sent tracked post. We have been thinking of offering non-tracked worldwide to attract more customers as it will be much cheaper, but are worried about shipping times especially to certain countries and the INR cases, Defects and feedback we would get as a result. I personally don’t think it is worth it. Would love to see stats though.

Italy, Russia and weirdly Malta are the worst for us.

• james

Malta is top of our ban list, I’d rather ship to Nigeria than Malta.

• martin

I guess it depends on your product and the market situation in those countries.

I sell in Toys and Games. Currently USA business is very low. Suspect I only pick up business from dedicated searchers and previous customers who know me. Traditionally US sellers can source everything I can at a much lower price, so not surprised.

Australia is great right now. Probably one of my most active countries. The exchange rate is working in our favour and their domestic suppliers have higher costs than I do, and can’t access such a wide range.

I don’t ship tracked unless over £60. I’ve calculated this out on a cost v losses basis and I benefit financially from this approach even in the bad countries like Italy. Its frustratng to lose shipments, but it does make good commercial sense. USA is usually OK, Australia is normally very good and quick. I lose only 1 or 2 items a year there which is way less than 1% of my sales there.

France usually OK, but can be particularly bad over Christmas and summer holiday months.

• Chris L

HI Martin
      Interesting to see how the internation sales are doing. I send tracked to all international destinations any amount for the simple reason of “defects”
      Basically if you send without tracking you will lose the case if an INR case is opened.
      Do you have problems with that?

Tamebay eBooks