Black Friday 2015: Amazon UK’s biggest day

By Dan Wilson December 1, 2014 - 1:53 am

So, here in the UK, Black Friday is a thing now. UK consumers have taken to buying energetically on the day after US Thanksgiving and even getting into fist-fights in shops to bag deals.

Amazon have reported that Friday last, Black Friday, was their best ever day for sales in the UK. They sold 5.5 million products which means something like 64 items sold per second. Hopefully if you’re an Amazon seller, you saw some great sales too on the back of that frenzy.

Amazon’s VP EU Retail, Xavier Garambois, said: “Ever since we introduced Black Friday to the UK in 2010, sales have increased year-on-year but this year really has surpassed all of our expectations.

“The public’s appetite for Black Friday has been bigger than ever, kicking off the Christmas shopping period in earnest and establishing Black Friday as a fixture on the UK Christmas shopping calendar.”

So what’s next? Well, eBay have said that Sunday (Super Sunday) was going to be their biggest day. And as far as we can see they have managed to keep the site up and running without a fall over this weekend. So that’s good news.

Today Monday (Cyber Monday) will be a big deal too for all ecommerce. People who get salaries have been paid and we’re in the final stretch before Christmas. People are ready to spend. This should be the best week for online sellers all year.

How’s it been for you so far? Are you doing well out of Christmas 2014?

• Sarah

Yes thank goodness for Amazon ,they make me feel good about my products .
    Strange how ebay buyers don’t want my gorgeous products .

We didn’t see any increase in sales on Ebay or Amazon on Friday – but then again we didn’t do any offers on those channels.

However, a Black Friday discount code by Email to our customers meant that our website took 1 weeks takings that we normally do across all platforms just on the website – so although the margin was much lower – the overall profit value was well worth it. I just hope people keep buying in December.

• Chris

Had a good weekend (Friday to Sunday) to be honest.
      Monday in terms of selling is usually quieter for us but hopefully being cyber Monday it will pick up.

I was expecting us to slow down a bit over the weekend because of all the sales and what not on.

My first year away from DVD and now selling bike accessories and it would appear they don’t make great gifts as Friday was very average and I use FBA

So this irritating American trend has taught me something else in addition to never wanting to step foot in a shop on this day ever again.

• JohnR

The bike accessories industry generally has a lull in sales between November and March.

Interesting to know and slightly disappointed that it isn’t a great Christmas product as used to bumper times at Christmas coming from DVDs. Having said that we didn’t manage to get the full range of winter products this year and will do better at that next year!

Is it your industry too ?

• JohnR

No its not my industry, but I did use to work for a major company which sold bike accessories.

• Martin

In the past I haven’t seen any big change over this weekend, the big volumes being nearer Christmas. However, this year quite different. I only sell on ebay. Sales are up 50% on normal, and first time Black Friday has really caused a big leap.

I didn’t make any offers. Unlike some big retailers, I made the judgement that I couldn’t handle the bigger volume and it wasn’t responsible therefore to chase even more, because it would damage my commitments to my customers. But then maybe I’ll never make my fortune!

Incidentally Click and Collect which initially was 5-10% of sales has now dropped off and less than 2% of sales over weekend requested it.

I do however have some offers going on Amazon.de lightning deals tomorrow through Thursday so will be interesting to see how they go.

• Sarah

I did not expect to sell anything on ebay and they did not disappoint me I sold nothing .

TRS -Free Postage- Free Returns -First Class Postage – Next Day Delivery – Same Day Dispatch – C&C . 100% Feedback ..
    I also have
    The Right Goods at the Right Price at The Right Time .
    Buyers on ebay apparently don’t buy from sellers like me anymore .

• Chris

What do you sell?

• Sarah

Handbags Chris they are good quality branded bags and only two other sellers stock the same brand as me although we tend not to chose the same bags to sell.:)

I do mostly bridal bags in the summer months then evening bag for Christmas Parties in the winter months .

• Sir Jack Daniels

We almost quadrupled our revenue on Black Friday.
    We sold almost 1500 units in One Day.

Strong sales overall during the weekend.