PayPal target tradesmen with new ad for PayPal Here

By Dan Wilson October 8, 2014 - 5:09 pm

PayPal have published a video on Youtube that promotes their PayPal Here service to tradesmen.

We have no idea where this ad will be airing (maybe you’ve seen it?) but it’s promoting their October deal for half price Here handsets.

Now, I must say, I find this PayPal Here service extremely nifty. With just a web connection, the handset and a compatible device like a smartphone you can start taking card payments wherever you are. Well, phone signal permitting. I’ve seen and heard of all sorts of people using them: cab drivers, people at craft fayres, car boaters and the like.

It’s well worth checking out and at £50 that handset should pay for itself in no time.

My barber has one now.

Paypal is phenomenal, no surprise it’s splitting from the bay, it’s destined for greater things.

• Gerry007

Pissed me off, bought our’s for £69.95, then next day they offer it for £49.95

Haha. Yeah. Bought a major appliance last month, 3 days later it popped up on a Daily Deal £100 cheaper. Annoyed. Yep.

• northumbrian

“It’s well worth checking out and at £50 that handset should pay for itself in no time”

if paypal issued card readers free of charge Surely the commission on payments would pay for itself in no time , not to mention market share and exposure?
    plus the economy of scale would make production costs that much less?

• northumbrian

we have to say at any price other than free we would feel robbed ,considering the amount of commission paypal receives from us each month

I know what you mean, but to be fair they probably have to make sure people are serious about using it. If they give them away free everyone would get one just for getting one free and maybe not put it to good use. Also with Barclaycard you have to rent the terminal on our counter – so £50 isn’t too bad I don’t think for the correct people who it will make a difference too.

• northumbrian

they could easily check your paypal account to see if you are a serious user,
      or refund the intial purchase price on a certain account turnover threshold
      we have creditcard terminal where the rental charge only kicks in if we fail to take a certain amount a month

• paddy

I think its only a matter of time before they start giving them away for free. In fact as soon as sales hit a certain amount on business accounts they should probably send out one automatically anyway.

• Dave from Trumpton

I’d take iZettle over Paypal any day. Far better and fairer rates..