eBay suffers serious technical problems #ebaydown

By Dan Wilson September 3, 2014 - 9:51 pm

It’s one way to celebrate your 19th Birthday (yes, eBay is 19 today).

At a conservative estimate, from what we’ve observed, the vast majority of eBay users (buyers and sellers) were not able to login to eBay this evening for approximately 4 hours. That meant sellers couldn’t go about their business and buyers could not part with their money.

This was a repeat of an incident earlier in the day which saw buyers and sellers experience similar difficulties using the marketplace. However, on that occasion (I suspect because it was the middle of the night stateside) we didn’t see such a backlash and brouhaha. We reported that problem this morning here.

As I write (22:45 BST), it seems that people can login again and undertake some functions. But we at Tamebay still can’t see vital information in My eBay. eBay have been in touch to say the issue is resolved. Do you agree?

Statement from eBay at 20:30 BST: “Today, some eBay users are experiencing issues when signing in to the site. Based on our initial investigation, this appears to be the result of technical issues that occurred during scheduled server maintenance.

It is only impacting a portion of our users; most eBay users are unaffected. We’re working to resolve this issue quickly and will continue to keep our customers updated. We apologise for any inconvenience to our users.”

Clearly, judging from Twitter, this affected users all over the world. And according to some of the emails we’re receiving, it’s still happening, and from our own testing it’s still not 100% resolved. Let us know your experiences.

Perhaps, even in 2014, we should expect even top websites such as eBay to suffer widespread glitches and problems like this on occasion. But what I do know is that in 2014, the communication plan that eBay employed is neither acceptable or successful. They need to talk and reassure people from the earliest moment: on Twitter, on Facebook, in public. That they didn’t is pretty reprehensible.

Updated, Thursday 4th September 2014 15:00 BST. eBay have given us this comment:

“While many users were unaffected, we know any interruption for our users is frustrating. We’re very sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused the buyers or sellers involved. We will credit sellers for fees related to listings affected by this and make sure their seller rating is not impacted by defects or the inability to upload tracking or print shipping labels. Affected sellers will be contacted by email in the coming days.

We understand the high expectations our community has for our platform. We’re working now to put safeguards in place to help ensure this issue doesn’t happen again.”

• superhans

Still down for me as of 11pm,

Can’t leave feedback or see my sales for today, only email confirmation of what has sold,

Lost about 50% of sales I normally get for a Wednesday,

Only shows error message,
    MyEbay.BIZ.QUERY_UNKOWN_ERROR

• john

Yup still down, some accounts are more functional than others, but none of my accounts are functioning correctly.

Also does not let you log in sometimes.

• Rachael

I’m still having problems with login! This has been an issue for me for the last 7 hours! I’ve tried to get online, call ebay, etc. every hour or half an hour, but no luck! Really upsetting! I’ve lost the purchase on an item I needed and I have several items for sale that I can not see what’s going on, plus an email I cannot respond to that was sent to my private email as a copy :(

• Rachael

I’m in the US by the way, so this is all day for me!

Currently Ebay won’t recognise my user name or password and when I try the ‘forgot password’ link it tells me that my registration process needs completing (I’ve been registered for 14 years).

And yet from the same IP address my daughter’s Ebay account can be logged into.

So have the hackers been selective with accounts??

• Ray

Still down at 8.06am EST Australia

• Weeze

My feedback is now up the creak, I’ve 0 ratings for all areas. It thinks I’m a new seller with no fb. This might ding me if I try to list under there free listing tomorrow!

• David

Been down since 17:00GMT,
    At the least ebay should have emailed effected members to let them know, I’ve had no comms from ebay and couldn’t contact them when I tried. Considering the amount ebay makes from it’s sellers this is completely unacceptable. It’s time to start talking compensation, and not some pitiful free listings day!

• Dave from Trumpton

Sellers are treated like absolute s…. by Ebay. where are the updates ? Why the lies ? absolutely disgusting

• elbee

You are surprised? eBay sent 4-5 messages to All Members back in the late Winter of 2010 through early Spring of 2011 telling us that they were soon to Implement the FVF on Shipping Policy due to “those sellers who Overcharge on Shipping Costs…” and that “this is set to Hinder, Halt, Stop, Penalize and, if necessary- Permanently Disable those Sellers Memberships until they abide by Accurate and Cost Friendly Shipping Charges”.

So, eBay implemented the FVF on Shipping Policy and STRAIGHT ACROSS THE BOARD- like a Flat Tax… ALL Sellers were Charged this FVF on Shipping. eBay has Always Walked On their Own Policies.

• Ian

We are still unable to respond to any messages via eBay’s interface (this has been going on for several hours) – responding by email reply to the messages appears to work in some instances. 23:25 UK time. Lancashire.

• Ross

Faulty site, poor communication. You’d think after so many occasions they might have worked out how to get it right when things go wrong. I can’t wait for the patronising apologetic email with some pointless token offer.
    Unfortunately, even the die hard supporters (like me) run out of patience eventually.
    As most 19 year olds get told at some point, it’s time to stop acting like a teenager and get your act together.

• Rachael

I’m with you Ross! This is so annoying! And there is no support all day long! I’ve lost buyers and also was unable to buy an Item I’ve been watching for 6 days now. So frustrating! If they at least had some way for communication I would not be so angry about this, but there is just no communication at all!

• elbee

Should Pierre Omidyar investigate the current practices of the company that he founded? http://www.ecommercebytes.com/cab/abn/y13/m12/i09/s01

Omidyar is oblivious to the egregious actions of eBay towards small sellers, the purges, the unfair and unwarranted sanctions from Guardrail, trending, the instant impact of a few low DSRs (Detailed Seller Ratings) to end a small seller’s career. He either doesn’t know what is actually going on at ebay these days or he doesn’t care.

I don’t suppose that Pierre is oblivious to what’s going on at eBay. He’s Chair of the board of Directors. Always has been.

• Karen

It’s been down from 5:30pm for me, still not back at midnight (UK).
    I cannot log into my account, it says the password is incorrect.
    More worrying is when searching for my items, they are still showing but when I click on them it tells me they are no longer available for sale. I guess all my watchers/potential buyers are being told the same.

• Alan

It’s 12.24 am on Thursday 4th. I logged on to see my purchase history (to chase some things) and could not bring up the page – simply got the message ‘Sorry, we couldn’t complete your request. Try again later.’

• Bunchy

I can’t list anything new. I get a red message at the top of the last page saying.

“You can’t submit your listing due to the following problems

•Please enter a valid value.
    • An error has occurred
    Go back and edit my listing”

At the bottom of the page a yellow banner appears saying.

“do you want to open or save V4Ajax from cgi5@ebay.co.uk

What is that about?

Is that something you’ve tried just now?

• George

Been trying to login since 1900hrs. Its now 0130 and still cant!

• Bunchy

Yes, I saw the current problem on facebook and wondered if it were a blip or media hyped issue.
    Couldn’t see any issues with my account (other than poor sales for the day, but that’s “normal” now).
    Tried to list.
    Failed.
    Came here to read and post about it.

• Susie

Australia here eBay went down at 5pm last night 3rd Sept and was totally down from 6am to 9.45am this morning. There should be a system within eBay that sends messages to members eMail addresses to warn them of problems, so many Aussie sellers were on Facebook asking questions as they thought it was there computers etc or that there eBay account may have been hacked as when they tried to login it kept saying incorrect password. The problem apparently has hit USA and Australia, not sure where is in the world

• JD

After giving it all a break, logged in normally (UK) at around 2.30 am BST (Chris/Dan you still seem to be on GMT?).
    All listings and data appear to be in good shape but no sales since yesterday 16.42 BST. I have, as I write this, just been paid for an order invoiced 2 days ago.

If this event has truly left ‘most users unaffected’ it is strange that you have not heard from any of them.

Sadly all to often it seems that the eBay machine engages in disingenuous spin.

• JD

As long as Ryan Moore (eBay spokesman) is not asked the right questions he can get away with misleading answers.
      eBay has around 150 million active accounts of whom around 2 million visit per day.
      He can say in all truthfulness that ‘most eBay users are unaffected’ as long as he is allowed to include the other 148 million in his answer.

I think there’s something seriously wrong with ebay. Constant glitches this year, particularly since the hacking earlier in the year.

We are paying for a service that is not delivering!

• Rich

This doesn’t really effect me as my sales on ebay are ruddy awful anyway.
    There always seems to be some hitch, had a devil of a job uploading additional photos the other day for instance.

• Ian A

Same here, after losing trs I’m focusing on business and employment away from eBay so only doing a couple a week now so not really affected. Would love to go back to selling 5 a day

• Andy R

Time for a concerted push from Ebayers for proper compensation for lost sales

Give us our money back, Ebay!

• Roger C

Noticed the problem around 1PM BST Wednesday . . . “some of our users” says eBay? Don’t think so! Together with my partner we have FIVE eBay identities and ALL were unable to be accessed until around midnight, even then large parts of the “My eBay” were flagged up in red as unavailable.

Just checked this morning and all seems OK on all our user-names but this had to be huge and global and there will be a lot of disappointed potential buyers who failed to make that final bid . . . and therefore many, many sellers who have “sold short”?

• Jon

Last night I could not log into my seller account on ebay.co.uk but was able to log into it on eBay.com At the time I looked on downdetector I noticed the outage map said eBay was down in most of UK & a large chunk of europe. You can still see the outage spike here

• Jon

Has anyone read this here. Could this be part of the current outage?

Here’s what was said a few weeks back

It looks like the crash that affected ebay and other sites such as Amazon was actually due to the internet routing tables exceeding a limit of 512,000 entries which affects older routers used by ISPs and other commercial organisations. The limit has been reached as smaller and smaller blocks of IPv4 addresses are handed out – this requires more routes to be maintained and will result in regular breaches of the 512,000 limit going forwards until all of the older equipment is replaced or fixed which will likely take some time.

• Martin

Sold 4 items overnight instead of the usual 15-20, nothing from outside EU, 3 in UK, 1 in NL.

This is lost profit and cost recovery.

My view has been for some time ebay have created a monster they do not have the capability to manage or maintain. There are problems throughout the org from technical to business practice.

And yet they keep changing and adding new requirements, making it ever more complex, and the situation worse.

Ebay should be forgetting more and more changes and concentrate on making the platform more robust and simpler.

If there was any kind of regulatory body overseeing e-commerce they would have been significantly fined and be at the bottom of any customer satisfaction rating.

• Martin

As an add on to the above comment, presumably my 25% of normal figures reflects that I don’t sell to the majority of ebay and only to the small proportion affected by this problem!

More reasonably, if you apply pro rata it would suggest that in fact about 75% or eBay’s normal daily traffic was affected, which is a significantly different picture from the normal corporate-speak claptrap we get from ebay.

Stop spinning it ebay, and tell the truth. Surprisingly you will get more respect.

• Gerry007

No Emails this morning for favourite search items…..

• Bunchy

I STILL can’t list anything new. It’s been at least 12 hours now.

• Tony

Not Funny had about 8 items on auction paid out 35p for each auction listing for Ebay to fail me yet again 2 sales & no recent bidding activity suspect no one could make a bid total sales less than a tenner costs & listing fees = not worth the hassle any more last time I ever pay a listing fee, also found it funny (not) at work a colleague could not make a bid on some games he was watching asked me & I looked dumnfounded thinking he was some kind of an idiot something so simple Ebay !!!

• Richy

We have had problems at times, but for the first time in 8 months we have been selling more than we have in the past 8 months, nothing compared to sale before summer last year, and nothing compared to Amazon, but sales up on eBay by 30% Very odd.

Richy I seem to be in the same boat as you. I have been reading all the postings about doom and gloom recently yet for some reason ebay has been working fine for me and I am selling more than usual. Although in my case I will admit that it is from a rather low base.

Now I know little or nothing about all the technicalities but whatever it is just for a change I am on the right side of it. Long may it continue(before anybody jumps on me I mean that whatever it is that is affecting me in a beneficial way continues not whatever it is that is affecting others is a detrimental way).

• Rich

Chris T. Our sales on eBay have been very bad since last September, we are at least 80% down on other years. But since the eBay problem people are reporting sales have been much better. Not sure why though.

• Jay

Has anyone had problems with ebay changing their estimated dispatch time? A number of my listings suddenly say 5 working days when I’m sure Ive always put 2 working days. Also, a number of my first clas recorded options have changed to 2nd class recorded. What is going on!?

• Steve

Only had one sale yesterday – can’t post on the discussion boards – we have a technical problem – this has been ongoing since the outage and is still a problem now, Can’t sign in to the discussion boards or access the powerseller board

• Andy R

All tonight’s auctions ended prematurely at 2pm this afternoon instead of 9pm.

What’s going on Ebay, you muppets.

Well all seems well now, but does anyone else notice that someties ebay is really sugglish to use?

• chrissieboy

Paypal down? anyone else having trouble this afternoon/tonight, i keep getting “Internal Server Error”. also couple of buyers saying they can’t pay as paypal not working properly. All we need eh?